The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

x1d and 907x user interface

Paratom

Hi there,
I use and like the x1d with xcd lenses.
The 907x and CVII looks pretty and I am tempted to add it (not replace x1d), but I wonder how will it turn out in real use, how does it sit in the hand, how good will it work with the display without EVF in daylight?
Do you think it is a tripod only camera because there is not EVF?
How do you plan to use the 907x?

Paul2660

Just add this grip. Should make for a nice combination, along with Tilting LCD, just wish they had figured out a way for it on either X1D

image1 (2).jpeg

Paul C

Godfrey

Hi there,
I use and like the x1d with xcd lenses.
The 907x and CVII looks pretty and I am tempted to add it (not replace x1d), but I wonder how will it turn out in real use, how does it sit in the hand, how good will it work with the display without EVF in daylight?
Do you think it is a tripod only camera because there is not EVF?
How do you plan to use the 907x?
From a form factor point of view, I suspect it will handle much like the Hasselblad SWC does in my daily shooting with the 21mm lens. I'll get the small bracket and accessory clip to mount an optical viewfinder to supplement the LCD display (they showed it in a couple of photos along with a hand grip), although the availability hasn't yet been announced. I loved shooting hand-held with the SWC ... set the exposure and focus range, then just aim it where you've learned the frame will be. I used to ignore the viewfinder on the SWC most of the time anyway.

For other lenses, flip the LCD horizontal and work with it much the same way you work with a 500CM and waist level finder (particularly useful if you're happy cropping to a square format, the way I intend to most of the time). I tend to use the 500CM on a tripod most of the time anyway, not so much because I find it difficult to go hand-held with it but because I'm always trying to get the most out of what it can do. For hand-held vertical shots using the full format and longer lenses, I'll want the hand grip and an optical viewfinder to supplement the LCD.

If portrait orientation, full format photos were my primary goal, I'd buy the X1D II instead of the 907x. It just makes more sense for that use with the built in hand grip and EVF. I suspect I'll use the 907x as a square format, 39 Mpixel camera most of the time.

G

Paratom

Would be nice to hold one in the hand. Since its quite a bit shorter than a film Hassy+Magazin.
I can see using it hyperfical/AF with a optical viewfinder.

Godfrey

Would be nice to hold one in the hand. Since its quite a bit shorter than a film Hassy+Magazin.
I can see using it hyperfical/AF with a optical viewfinder.
The size of the body plus back is quite similar to the SWC with an A12 film magazine on it. The 21mm lens is a bit longer than the Biogon 38 but it's in the same ballpark. It's a handy package ... the 500CM with an 80mm lens is much bulkier, never mind the 50 or 40 mm lenses.

Using the 907x with hyperfocal focusing much of the time will be just like the SWC ... With the 21mm lens on the 907x, set f/8 and 5 foot distance: everything is in decent focus from about 3' to infinity. No real need for any other focusing with a lot of subject matter; great for street shooting with a simple hand strap on it (the hand strap helped stabilize the camera in my hands).

:D

G

SrMphoto

The size of the body plus back is quite similar to the SWC with an A12 film magazine on it. The 21mm lens is a bit longer than the Biogon 38 but it's in the same ballpark. It's a handy package ... the 500CM with an 80mm lens is much bulkier, never mind the 50 or 40 mm lenses.

Using the 907x with hyperfocal focusing much of the time will be just like the SWC ... With the 21mm lens on the 907x, set f/8 and 5 foot distance: everything is in decent focus from about 3' to infinity. No real need for any other focusing with a lot of subject matter; great for street shooting with a simple hand strap on it (the hand strap helped stabilize the camera in my hands).

:D

G
Unfortunately, XCD21mm does not have focus distance markings. While you can preset 5 foot focus distance using LCD/EVF, you cannot easily check if you have accidentally moved the focus.
What is your experience using lenses without focus distance markings?

Godfrey

Unfortunately, XCD21mm does not have focus distance markings. While you can preset 5 foot focus distance using LCD/EVF, you cannot easily check if you have accidentally moved the focus.
What is your experience using lenses without focus distance markings?
I've had (more than) a few cameras with servo operated lenses. This has always worked:

1. Set camera to manual focus mode.
  2. Focus on a target at the appropriate distance.
  3. Block movement of the focusing ring by applying a piece of artist's tape.

It is for reasons like this that most of my EVF and "mirrorless" cameras are used with nice, old, fully mechanical Leica R lenses, most of the time... Then all I have to do is calibrate the mount adapter to find the proper index point for infinity focus (since most allow focusing just slightly past infinity). I use the focus distance scale in my photography quite a lot of the time.

(One of the nicer features of the Leica SL used with SL lenses was that you could see a read out of the focus distance AND DoF on the top LCD in manual focus mode. Very nicely done...!)

I'm planning to buy two XCD lenses (21 first, 45 later). Nearly all of my R lenses should cover the cropped-square 33x33mm format nicely; most of the longer ones will cover 33x44 as well, and I have R lenses with focal lengths from 15 to 360 mm available.

G

SrMphoto

I've had (more than) a few cameras with servo operated lenses. This has always worked:

1. Set camera to manual focus mode.
  2. Focus on a target at the appropriate distance.
  3. Block movement of the focusing ring by applying a piece of artist's tape.

It is for reasons like this that most of my EVF and "mirrorless" cameras are used with nice, old, fully mechanical Leica R lenses, most of the time... Then all I have to do is calibrate the mount adapter to find the proper index point for infinity focus (since most allow focusing just slightly past infinity). I use the focus distance scale in my photography quite a lot of the time.

(One of the nicer features of the Leica SL used with SL lenses was that you could see a read out of the focus distance AND DoF on the top LCD in manual focus mode. Very nicely done...!)

I'm planning to buy two XCD lenses (21 first, 45 later). Nearly all of my R lenses should cover the cropped-square 33x33mm format nicely; most of the longer ones will cover 33x44 as well, and I have R lenses with focal lengths from 15 to 360 mm available.

G
Yes, the tape solution is the best one, a bit cumbersome if you need to change the focus distance occasionally. Often used in aerial photography as well.

I also like the Leica SL feature where it shows focus distance and DoF in top LCD. A great solution for lenses without focus distance markings.

- Srdjan

Godfrey

Yes, the tape solution is the best one, a bit cumbersome if you need to change the focus distance occasionally. Often used in aerial photography as well. ...
Yes... How cumbersome it is depends on how you approach doing it. When I'm doing zone focus with this sort of set up, I lock it and then look for subjects that fit the focus zone I've set. I can usually get away with an entire session having changed focus just once or twice when I pick the right zone.

When I find myself wanting to refocus too frequently, I change what I'm doing and go to a more flexible shooting methodology. Manual lenses give more options in that regard, as does touch AF in a different way (although I haven't worked with any AF equipment for a while now).

It's all good ... :D

G