The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Actus with Pentax and Mamiya Lenses, is it worth it?

I have an Actus Mini and XL and I wonder if is worth to buy the Pentax/Mamiya lensplates

which are the lenses that are worth the cost fo the plate?

I don't own any of MF lenses and I use only LF/Digitar lenses and TS-E canon (24&17)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well, TBH it comes down to whether you like the look of those lenses. That's a big part of the appeal of the Actus.

Audii-Dudii

I have an Actus Mini and XL and I wonder if is worth to buy the Pentax/Mamiya lensplates

which are the lenses that are worth the cost fo the plate?

I don't own any of MF lenses and I use only LF/Digitar lenses and TS-E canon (24&17)
Although you're posting this in the medium-format forum, I'm guessing you're using a smaller-format camera with your Actus mini, as Cambo doesn't offer any mount rings for medium-format bodies for this particular version. (Unless, of course, you're using a custom mount ring, which is always a possibility...)

In which case, if you're not planning on flat-stitching panos or creating ultra-large files and don't need a large range of movements, as another data point, I'll point out the Pentax FA Limited series of lenses can be successfully used with some smaller-format cameras, such as the Sony A7R series, as well as my Samsung NX500 (although the latter, with its 25.5 mm FFD, is right at the upper limit of what can be used, as the front and rear standards very nearly touched either other when I used it with these lenses.)

As it happens, I can verify this first hand, as I have used all three lenses -- 31 mm, 43 mm, and 77 mm -- with my A7R (NX500) / Actus combo via a Fotodiox EF -> Pentax K mount adapter with some success for a few weeks:

Both the 31 mm and 77 mm lenses project image circles large enough to support modest amounts of rise / fall / shift movements -- say, 6-8 mm, which is enough for me most of the time -- but the 43 mm lens projects a smaller image circle and allows for only 2-3 mm of rise / fall / shift movements ... boo-hiss!

Although I'm a Zeiss fan and use a variety of Zeiss-branded lenses for most of my photography, I was very pleased with the performance of the Pentax Limited lenses and would have seriously considering purchasing all three of them from my friend had the 43 mm version not been so stingy with its image circle.

rdeloe

Have you been to the Pentaxforums user review site? Here's the link for the 645 lenses. https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-645-Medium-Format-Lenses-i4.html

I've used the SMC Pentax-A 645 35mm f/3.5 as a shift lens on a Sony A7R am currently using one on a Fuji GFX 50R. It's a very good lens, likely the best option at 35mm. I haven't used the Mamiya C 35mm lens as a shift lens, but people who have and who have used the SMC Pentax-A usually say the Pentax is better. In other focal lengths, there are good options in both lines. Note that on my GFX, shifting beyond 10mm is not great with any P645 lens. The P67 lenses tend to be much better for shifting. Case in point is the P67 55/4 (latest version) which is spectacular. It's also huge and heavy.

In my experience the Pentaxforums reviews are usually fairly reliable, especially when there are more than a few evaluations.

rdeloe

You have two options in the Pentax 645 35mm focal length: the manual "A" version, and the autofocus "FA" version (which still has an aperture ring). I compared these side-by-side and chose the manual A version. I found it to be a bit better over the whole frame; the FA version, in my testing, was a bit better in the centre, but softer in the edges and corners. The A version is also cheaper and smaller, which may or may not be relevant to you.

Thank you all for the advice!!! i'll buy one P645 35mm then ;)

rdeloe

Of course! I think I suppressed the memory of that one because I came within minutes of winning one in an auction that the seller put up as an FA. Moments before it would have been too late to cancel the auction, he figured it out and pulled the plug! Lucky for him, but boo hoo for me. ;)

There are actually three. The latest D FA version addresses some of the issues that people have had with the FA version on digital.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/645/wide/hdpentax-dfa645-35/