The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone tried the right hand shoulder cable release thing for the Alpa SWA?

jodad

How well does it work? Does it essentially work like a "regular" shutter trigger (albeit with a longer "travel")?

onasj

How well does it work? Does it essentially work like a "regular" shutter trigger (albeit with a longer "travel")?
Yes :)
It works fairly well.

Pros: it’s a much more natural position for me for a shutter release button than the Copal shutter lever-button-doohickey thing. It also looks cool in a steampunk way that seems to go with Alpa’s aesthetic.

Cons: the small threaded hole release button at the end of a long stalk looks fragile and prone to get lost. Also, because of where the cable has to run, your right grip on the SWA won’t be quite so easy to hold, since the cable is likely run where your fingers would naturally sit. The release action may be a bit rough depending on how tightly you curve the cable.

jodad

Yes :)
It works fairly well.

Pros: it’s a much more natural position for me for a shutter release button than the Copal shutter lever-button-doohickey thing. It also looks cool in a steampunk way that seems to go with Alpa’s aesthetic.

Cons: the small threaded hole release button at the end of a long stalk looks fragile and prone to get lost. Also, because of where the cable has to run, your right grip on the SWA won’t be quite so easy to hold, since the cable is likely run where your fingers would naturally sit. The release action may be a bit rough depending on how tightly you curve the cable.

Thanks Onasj.
What i was thinking before if i got one of them was to use a very short cable release cable to avoid having that wrap around the lens thing going on and instead, a shoulder straight to shutter release cable whats what, 5 cm long? I guess it would depend on the distance of the shutter from the bottom of the "shoulder". the further away like with a longer lens the tighter the bend forwards.

onasj

Thanks Onasj.
What i was thinking before if i got one of them was to use a very short cable release cable to avoid having that wrap around the lens thing going on and instead, a shoulder straight to shutter release cable whats what, 5 cm long? I guess it would depend on the distance of the shutter from the bottom of the "shoulder". the further away like with a longer lens the tighter the bend forwards.
Mine came with two lengths of cable—short and long. I found the least obtrusive way to route the cable was under the camera, using the long cable. Using too short a cable not only makes the release action more rough due to a sharper bend in the cable, but also risks stressing the fairly thin connection points to the lens and to the release.

jodad

Mine came with two lengths of cable—short and long. I found the least obtrusive way to route the cable was under the camera, using the long cable. Using too short a cable not only makes the release action more rough due to a sharper bend in the cable, but also risks stressing the fairly thin connection points to the lens and to the release.
Yes i see, i just looked back at that image of the SWA and STC that you took for me. You go under and over - very interesting, i wouldn't have thought about that.
Thank you Onasj