The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D II review

vieri

Ladies and gentlemen,

for a little Sunday read, I just posted my first impression review of the Hasselblad X1D II. Without revealing too much, I think the camera is improved on pretty much all counts :) Read on to find out all about the changes and improvements brought by this new iteration of the great little X1D:

https://www.vieribottazzini.com/2019/08/a-first-impression-hasselblad-x1d-ii-review.html

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments, best regards

Vieri

SrMphoto

Ladies and gentlemen,

for a little Sunday read, I just posted my first impression review of the Hasselblad X1D II. Without revealing too much, I think the camera is improved on pretty much all counts :) Read on to find out all about the changes and improvements brought by this new iteration of the great little X1D:

https://www.vieribottazzini.com/2019/08/a-first-impression-hasselblad-x1d-ii-review.html

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments, best regards

Vieri
Thank you for the very informative review of your demo X1DII, Vieri.

For my part, I am happy that "Always start Live View in EVF" is still an option as I prefer it and miss it on other mirrorless cameras.

Too bad about the counter being 'hidden' with long exposures. Maybe Hasselblad thinks it uses too much power when LCD is on all the time during the long exposure. I assume you could wake up the LCD to check the counter or finish exposure with a remote release. I prefer working with a delay instead of a remote release, but with mark 2, a remote may be more useful.

Which dedicated GPS device do you use, and is it more precise than X1DII built-in GPS?

Thanks,

- Srdjan

vieri

Thank you for the very informative review of your demo X1DII, Vieri.

For my part, I am happy that "Always start Live View in EVF" is still an option as I prefer it and miss it on other mirrorless cameras.

Too bad about the counter being 'hidden' with long exposures. Maybe Hasselblad thinks it uses too much power when LCD is on all the time during the long exposure. I assume you could wake up the LCD to check the counter or finish exposure with a remote release. I prefer working with a delay instead of a remote release, but with mark 2, a remote may be more useful.

Which dedicated GPS device do you use, and is it more precise than X1DII built-in GPS?

Thanks,

- Srdjan
You are very welcome Srdjan, glad you enjoyed the read :)

About the Long Exposure, the thing is that using a remote release in many instances is either simply not viable, or viable but a real pain. I.e.: 1. Camera in portrait mode on the tripod (possible with the RRS bracket, but a pain, you need to fiddle with the bracket, loosen it, slide the thing out, tighten it and do it again backwards when you are done); 2. Under rain / in sand storms / snow storms, and in all situations where you don't want to have your connector's door open; 3. Is another thing to carry / another thing that can go bad / another thing to fiddle with when you have gloves, frozen hands, when you are in precarious balance, on cliffs, in the water, etc etc. They just have to bring it back the way it was, it shouldn't be that hard ;)

For GPS, I lately use a Garmin watch, which I find great. I also have two classic Garmin GPS units, but they stay at home lately. And, I very rarely use GPS, I am ok with maps and can navigate pretty well pretty much everywhere with a paper map - which, has the added bonus of not running out of juice :)

Best regards,

Vieri

Last edited:

SrMphoto

You are very welcome Srdjan, glad you enjoyed the read :)

About the Long Exposure, the thing is that using a remote release in many instances is either simply not viable, or viable but a real pain. I.e.: 1. Camera in portrait mode on the tripod (possible with the RRS bracket, but a pain, you need to fiddle with the bracket, loosen it, slide the thing out, tighten it and do it again backwards when you are done); 2. Under rain / in sand storms / snow storms, and in all situations where you don't want to have your connector's door open; 3. Is another thing to carry / another thing that can go bad / another thing to fiddle with when you have gloves, frozen hands, when you are in precarious balance, on cliffs, in the water, etc etc. They just have to bring it back the way it was, it shouldn't be that hard ;)

For GPS, I lately use a Garmin watch, which I find great. I also have two classic Garmin GPS units, but they stay at home lately. And, I very rarely use GPS, I am ok with maps and can navigate pretty well pretty much everywhere with a paper map - which, has the added bonus of not running out of juice :)

Best regards,

Vieri
Thank you for the answers, Vieri.
Do you know if GPS sets the correct time on X1DII? It does not on X1D mark I, AFAIK.

- Srdjan

vieri

Thank you for the answers, Vieri.
Do you know if GPS sets the correct time on X1DII? It does not on X1D mark I, AFAIK.

- Srdjan
You are welcome Srdjan. The GPS's time is correct GMT time. Not your local time though, I am afraid. Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri

Paratom

Thanks for the review!
The speed improvements and improved EVF are the things which would be benefits for me.
I would love if they offered a black version of the camera because I also love my black x1d.

vieri

Thanks for the review!
The speed improvements and improved EVF are the things which would be benefits for me.
I would love if they offered a black version of the camera because I also love my black x1d.
Hello Paratom,

thank you for your comment, glad you enjoyed the review :) Who knows, there might be a black version in the cards, as a Special Edition perhaps (?). However, the new color scheme is just beautiful!

Best regards,

Vieri

P. Chong

Nice read, thanks for the review.

What's the strap you are using? Looks very nice. Do they make a wrist strap?

vieri

richardman

I like your rationale for getting X1D owner to upgrade. This is encouraging for us "no-budgeters" to get a used X1D at a good price :grin:

drunkenspyder

A most excellent review Vieri. Thanks much for your continued unselfish sharing of your time and expertise. And this just makes me wait for my backorder more eagerly. I found this understated gem delightful:

one can’t help it but feel that Hasselblad didn’t include a charger because they intend to sell you the new, and very cool, dual charger instead.
I suspect that, in this instance, one cannot also help but be correct. ;)

SrMphoto

A most excellent review Vieri. Thanks much for your continued unselfish sharing of your time and expertise. And this just makes me wait for my backorder more eagerly. I found this understated gem delightful:

The list of included items is displayed on page 10 of X1DII manual:
"Battery Charger (included in some countries)"

However, that "Battery Charger" may be just the USB power adapter.

Last edited:

tcdeveau

Would definitely make sense Greg and Vieri. The new dual charger is awesome and has turned my old charger into a paper weight.
-Todd

drunkenspyder

Would definitely make sense Greg and Vieri. The new dual charger is awesome and has turned my old charger into a paper weight.
-Todd
I agree Todd. It's a very nice combo of form and function. I have no regrets about being suckered, er, seduced into purchasing it.;)

vieri

I like your rationale for getting X1D owner to upgrade. This is encouraging for us "no-budgeters" to get a used X1D at a good price :grin:
Exactly, as long as people either stays in the system (if they are already in), or jump in (either with a X1D II or with a well cared fro, second hand X1D), the new price makes a lot of sense for all involved :)

My pleasure, I am glad you enjoyed the review and I am happy if my writings can contribute something to the collective knowledge.

About the charger, there was a very famous Italian political, he used to say "thinking evil about someone is a sin, but you very often ended up being right" :D

The list of included items is displayed on page 10 of X1DII manual:
"Battery Charger (included in some countries)"

However, that "Battery Charger" may be just the USB power adapter.
That would be my thoughts, too - but I am happy to be prove wrong :)

-Todd
I agree Todd. It's a very nice combo of form and function. I have no regrets about being suckered, er, seduced into purchasing it.;)
I totally agree, gentlemen. Not only the new charger is wonderfully built and looks extremely cool, it's small and feels indestructible and it allows you to charge two batteries, but what makes me love it even more is that it is USB-based. Less cables / adapters / bits and pieces to carry is always a definite bonus to me, as is the possibility of charging batteries in your car when traveling (for someone always on the road, that's truly a plus!). And, with the X1D II, if it should ever break for whatever reason, you can still charge your batteries in camera (and, again, you can also do so in the car).

Best regards,

Vieri

P. Chong

Vieri, what is your experience of the blackout time after each shot comparing the OG with the ii?

drunkenspyder

Exactly, as long as people either stays in the system (if they are already in), or jump in (either with a X1D II or with a well cared fro, second hand X1D), the new price makes a lot of sense for all involved :)
Yes, that was my first reaction when I saw the pricing: encourages new folks and current users alike. Sure, it frustrated some earlier X1D adopters, and especially anyone who managed to buy new within the last few months [I was fortunate; I scored a smoking' deal on v.1 from a dealer who simply wanted to get his last new kit out of his inventory], or anyone who wanted to sell their v.1 for a better price. I understand that frustration, but overall it was a good move.

About the charger, there was a very famous Italian political, he used to say "thinking evil about someone is a sin, but you very often ended up being right" :D
Just so.;)

I totally agree, gentlemen. Not only the new charger is wonderfully built and looks extremely cool, it's small and feels indestructible and it allows you to charge two batteries, but what makes me love it even more is that it is USB-based. Less cables / adapters / bits and pieces to carry is always a definite bonus to me, as is the possibility of charging batteries in your car when traveling (for someone always on the road, that's truly a plus!). And, with the X1D II, if it should ever break for whatever reason, you can still charge your batteries in camera (and, again, you can also do so in the car).

Best regards,

Vieri
This is often overlooked. Being able to power through a single bus system is huge. If I could just get my Profoto and Phase battery charging over to USB . . ..

vieri

Vieri, what is your experience of the blackout time after each shot comparing the OG with the ii?
There is no blackout once the shutter has done its job :) Image preview is much, much faster that in the original X1D, images show up actually before the last click of the shutter. Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Vieri

vieri

This is often overlooked. Being able to power through a single bus system is huge. If I could just get my Profoto and Phase battery charging over to USB . . ..
Indeed. Being able to bring all chargers to USB is amazing, and - as you perfectly put - overlooked :) Now, I finally got there: iPhone, iPad, MacBook, X1D II. All USB, perfect!

Best regards,

Vieri

ron787

Is the new Hasselblad X1DII still lacking a live Histogram?

I've read through the available manual (online) and while there is mention of luminosity and RGB histograms, the manual suggests that they are available in review mode, since they are stored with the images. This was the case with the original X1D, and IMO was a major omission. And in this regard, I have yet to find a modern day camera that does not offer a live, histogram visible either in the LCD or EVF. OK, maybe there is one, but I haven't stumbled across it.