The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

3x normal

rdeloe

I'm curious to know what lenses people are using for 3x normal focal length on their technical cameras. On my setup, I'm calling "normal" 55-60mm. I have 2x normal covered nicely with an Apo-Sironar Digital. I'd like to know some options for 3x normal that allow for shifting 15mm or more. What are you using, or what have you used with good results?

I favour lighter and smaller. And I'm wide-open to non-standard, unorthodox options. I can adapt just about anything to my setup (a Fuji GFX 50R on the back of a Toyo VX23D). Custom mount solutions are easy because I have access to a good machine shop.

onasj

For 54x40 mm sensors, offerings are thin around 150 mm focal lengths. The Rodenstock 180/5.6 is an optical masterpiece in my opinion, but is pricey, hard to find if you want a copal shutter pre-installed, and allows shifting of about 10 mm on a 54x40 mm sensor. Pretty good, but not quite as shiftable as you wanted.

I'm curious to know what lenses people are using for 3x normal focal length on their technical cameras. On my setup, I'm calling "normal" 55-60mm. I have 2x normal covered nicely with an Apo-Sironar Digital. I'd like to know some options for 3x normal that allow for shifting 15mm or more. What are you using, or what have you used with good results?

I favour lighter and smaller. And I'm wide-open to non-standard, unorthodox options. I can adapt just about anything to my setup (a Fuji GFX 50R on the back of a Toyo VX23D). Custom mount solutions are easy because I have access to a good machine shop.

rdeloe

Do you mean the 180mm HR Digaron-S with the 80mm image circle? That would work in a pinch because my sensor is 33mm x 44mm. If it's good over that whole image circle I could get 15mm shift (which would do). As you say though, it's hard to find in a Copal shutter.

For 54x40 mm sensors, offerings are thin around 150 mm focal lengths. The Rodenstock 180/5.6 is an optical masterpiece in my opinion, but is pricey, hard to find if you want a copal shutter pre-installed, and allows shifting of about 10 mm on a 54x40 mm sensor. Pretty good, but not quite as shiftable as you wanted.

dchew

Do you mean the 180mm HR Digaron-S with the 80mm image circle? That would work in a pinch because my sensor is 33mm x 44mm. If it's good over that whole image circle I could get 15mm shift (which would do). As you say though, it's hard to find in a Copal shutter.
Yeah that is the lens I was going to recommend. I don't have it, but Steve Hendrix recently started a thread about it here:
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...-180mm-hr-s-custom-cambo-mount-iq4-150-a.html

Dave

rdeloe

I would definitely consider that one Paul. My 2x normal (OK, 2.25x normal!) is the Apo-Sironar Digital 135mm f/5.6, so the 210 would complement that nicely.

These are solid "digital" options. I wonder if anyone's using some non-digital lenses with good results. I'm curious because I had the chance to shoot my old Fujinon-W 125mm f/5.6 alongside the Rodenstock Apo-Sironar Digital 135mm f/5.6 recently. On my 50MP sensor -- Fuji GFX 50R -- the Fujinon put in a very respectable performance. I don't mean "good enough". I mean it held its own against the much more expensive Rodenstock, which was really surprising to me. This has made me more open-minded about other potentially good "analogue" lenses. (I'm kicking myself for having just sold my Fujinon-W 180mm and 210mm lenses as part of my 4x5 clearout -- I could have checked for myself! Bah.)

jng

If by "unorthodox" you're willing to include old school and can accommodate a Hasselblad V system mount, you might also consider the Hasselblad Zeiss 150/4 and 180/4. They are not exactly compact but are quite sharp, easy to find on the used market and relatively inexpensive (I've found that KEH is a good source). I recently did some testing of the 150 on my IQ3100 (40x54mm sensor), and found that at f/11 I could shift to +/-15mm with very good/excellent sharpness at the edges. There's a bit of chromatic aberration that Capture One easily handles. The SK150 is probably a bit sharper (judging from the published MTF charts at least - I haven't done a direct comparison test) but the Schneiders are getting hard to find. YMMV, of course...

John

Last edited:

rdeloe

John, "unorthodox" definitely includes medium format lenses.

At the 35mm end I'm already using a SMC Pentax-A 35mm f/3.5. I had to fabricate a custom mounting panel to use it, but it works quite well. My Plan C for 3x normal is to use a 200mm Pentax-A 645 lens, or possibly the Pentax 67 200mm; that's Plan C because these are both larger and heavier than I wanted.

To demonstrate my open-mindedness about this... at 60mm, I'm going to try a Rodenstock Rodagon-WA 60mm enlarging lens; it has the necessary image circle and at least one person out there in the wild has reported good results on a Fuji GFX camera (no lens cast with shifts out to 10mm, decent infinity performance, and excellent closer performance).

I've heard good things about Hasselblad V system lenses but haven't tried any yet. Thanks for the tip on those two.

If by "unorthodox" you're willing to include old school and can accommodate a Hasselblad V system mount, you might also consider the Hasselblad Zeiss 150/4 and 180/4. They are not exactly compact but are quite sharp, easy to find on the used market and relatively inexpensive (I've found that KEH is a good source). I recently did some testing of the 150 on my IQ3100 (40x54mm sensor), and found that at f/11 I could shift to +/-15mm with cery good/excellent sharpness at the edges. There's a bit of chromatic aberration that Capture One easily handles. The SK150 is probably a bit sharper (judging from the published MTF charts at least - I haven't done a direct comparison test) but the Schneiders are getting hard to find. YMMV, of course...

John