The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 50R 5 year Warranty offer on bodies and lenses in the UK vs used vs reliability

robdeszan

Hey all,

Fuji dealers seem to have a 5 year warranty offer on GFX lenses and bodies at the moment. I am looking at a used, like new 50r with 63mm lens bundle (like new and warrantied for 6 months) for £4063 vs the same brand new bundle, and a 5-year warranty for £4908. As an aside, there's also a reputable, grey market seller that offers the same brand new kit for £4218 with 12-month seller warranty.

Is the £845 difference a worthwhile spend in your opinion or given the 6-month warranty and used/like new condition I should go with that and no worry about possible reliability issues? Have you experienced anything serious with this camera?

What do you think?

Thanks!

algrove

Hey all,

Fuji dealers seem to have a 5 year warranty offer on GFX lenses and bodies at the moment. I am looking at a used, like new 50r with 63mm lens bundle (like new and warrantied for 6 months) for £4063 vs the same brand new bundle, and a 5-year warranty for £4908. As an aside, there's also a reputable, grey market seller that offers the same brand new kit for £4218 with 12-month seller warranty.

Is the £845 difference a worthwhile spend in your opinion or given the 6-month warranty and used/like new condition I should go with that and no worry about possible reliability issues? Have you experienced anything serious with this camera?

What do you think?

Thanks!
Yes go for the 5 years IF you plan on keeping it that long. Otherwise IMHO you are throwing money to the wind

Shashin

They don't offer a warranty if they know it will break in five years. If you put the 800 pounds in a high-interest investment, how would it compound over fiver years? And if something did go wrong, would that cost more than 800 pounds to fix? (Naturally, a no-deal Brexit might make the investment a good bet because who knows what 800 pounds will be worth in five years...)

Basically, it is all about probabilities. Fuji is has figured that the bet will be in their favor.

robdeszan

You're probably right. The discounts on lenses they used to run had much better value. I am still getting warranty which is there to guard against manufacturing defects so no gamble involved, certainly less than buying off of an auction site, anyway.

Mexecutioner

You're probably right. The discounts on lenses they used to run had much better value. I am still getting warranty which is there to guard against manufacturing defects so no gamble involved, certainly less than buying off of an auction site, anyway.
I don't think I've ever kept a digital camera of any kind that long. If you don't like it or you decide to sell it to get something else then you've thrown away that money. The person you sell it to will most likely not be willing to pay extra for that said warranty. If there is something catastrophic on the horizon it will probably happen within the 6 months.

As Shashin pointed out set those 800 pounds aside and if a repair is needed I doubt it would cost that much.

buildbot

I don't think I've ever kept a digital camera of any kind that long. If you don't like it or you decide to sell it to get something else then you've thrown away that money. The person you sell it to will most likely not be willing to pay extra for that said warranty. If there is something catastrophic on the horizon it will probably happen within the 6 months.

As Shashin pointed out set those 800 pounds aside and if a repair is needed I doubt it would cost that much.
I have a GFX 50s which had some damage to the baseplate, which ended up breaking a little metal tab that I used to hold the screws that attach the baseplate to the camera. 4500$ was the quoted repair cost, as they needed to replace the entire body apparently. I think the GFX is not really built to be repaired in a modular way, so any repair will become buy a new camera territory.