The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looks like Phase One got bought

tjv

I wish them all the best and hope it's a sign of more investment in both software AND hardware. I do think the days of mere mortals owning their backs are pretty much numbered though. The big budget and institutional market is what they're after, not the 0.001% like us. IMHO of course, Hasselblad and Fuji have stepped up to fill this void (or in Hasselblad's case, stepped 'down' – at least in terms of cost of entry.)

Last edited:

kdphotography

I don't think we will see any significant changes to Phase One's business approach. Management has done well and remains at the helm. Hoping that there is a significant infusion of cash flow and investment/dedication to speed up feature updates and firmware updates on the flagship IQ4 platform.

ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Software Imaging Systems (SIS) growth ~40% per annum over the last 4 years! Pretty impressive - I’m sure that a lot of that s attributable to increased platform openness and also adoption of the subscription model.

Christopher

Great news! Now let’s invest more in firmware development! I honestly can’t believe how long everything is taking...

tjv

It could still be opened to Hasselblad crop sensor cameras and Leica S. Not much money in that though, I guess.

Software Imaging Systems (SIS) growth ~40% per annum over the last 4 years! Pretty impressive - I’m sure that a lot of that s attributable to increased platform openness and also adoption of the subscription model.

Good to see the software side making decent profits - Media Pro upgrades are 50% more expensive so that's where some of it has come from! I think they made a mistake getting rid of Media Pro, instead of investing a bit into it to make it 64 bit. It really is unique - and very important to some of us. I also think the presence of big money in a company means shareholders and profits are often put ahead of customers. Just look at the mess they are making with the IQ4150 firmware. I wonder also if it was a strategic mistake not to introduce a mirrorless version of the XF. Fuji are going to take sales that might have gone to Phase.

Abstraction

Good to see the software side making decent profits - Media Pro upgrades are 50% more expensive so that's where some of it has come from! I think they made a mistake getting rid of Media Pro, instead of investing a bit into it to make it 64 bit. It really is unique - and very important to some of us. I also think the presence of big money in a company means shareholders and profits are often put ahead of customers. Just look at the mess they are making with the IQ4150 firmware. I wonder also if it was a strategic mistake not to introduce a mirrorless version of the XF. Fuji are going to take sales that might have gone to Phase.
Given that the buyer is a fund management group, all kinds of things are possible that will have nothing to do with running a business. They might spin off the software division as a separate company, they might keep things running as they are or they might simply cannibalize the entire operation and sell it off in small pieces. It's always a roll of the dice with these types of fund management groups.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Wasn t this news presented a few months ago ? Must be now just getting confirmation .

This is excellent news for the software business and we should expect Capture One to continue to be heavily marketed and successful ..transition to a subscription model . From an investment perspective . Software has the best growth potential and a much lower capital requirement than the hardware business. They can do very very well taking even a small piece of what Adobe has .

The hardware business will continue to focus on uber expensive commercial applications ..where the combination of leading edge sensor technology can match up with the capabilities of Capture One . I would expect little if any effort to compete at lower price points against Fuji or HB . This is solution selling not gear . The value proposition will come to those seeking an ultimate solution for their imaging needs .

If they can ever work out a partnership or sell to Fuji ..they can own the market . A fuji body that could accept a Phase digital back and new uber Fuji lenses . Positioning the Phase dealer network to own the commercial market instead of competing .

Follow the money !
:cool:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I would love to leave Adobe. IMHO, they're headed for Cloud Only. Subscription is bad enough, but forcing the images to live on their servers gives me the creeps.

Of course, C1 doesn't support 2/3 of my cameras, so it's a moot point. :chug:

Matt

(Moot is one of those funny words - contranym, I think. It has two meanings which are opposite. A moot point is both a point to be discussed AND a point not worth discussing.:cool:)

Last edited:

Paul2660

Can you imagine trying to keep all of your 50MP images, with multiple layers on the cloud? No way 2GB to 4GB 16 bit files or large videos in the 2 to 5 TB size (4k) are going to stay on the cloud. I can't see that.

Subscription model is OK for me, just wish they would allow 3 computers to stay on.

C1 IMO has advanced well beyond LR/ACR. Layers, and Masking along IMO are worth the ticket to use it. C1 has developed some amazingly power masking tools and their color editor is excellent. C1 just needs to work out a pano connection.

It's surprising to me to see how well C1 has advanced, vs the state of Art for Phase One's hardware line. The IQ4 has great potential, but has to have the worst focus/support I have seen since I first purchased a P45+. Just the way the "frame averaging" feature was rolled out is an example. Something with huge potential, but very poorly IMO handled from the start. For that matter it's still up in the air.

Hasselblad seems to have a handle on their lineup, and since they were successful with a mirrorless line, they are very well placed for the future. The 907x is a great idea and can really move forward for them.

But I have seen such vast improvements within C1 over the past 1 year, I would never leave it now. For me C1 defines the tools I need.

I can easily see P1 exiting the Hardware lineup in the near future. After all it's all about Axcel's needs now and they are PE, so it's about what can and will make money for them, since they will try to sell P1 again. Just as Silverfleet did, supposedly with a 4x profit when they sold their controlling shares to Axcel.

Paul C

drunkenspyder

(Moot is one of those funny words - contranym, I think. It has two meanings which are opposite. A moot point is both a point to be discussed AND a point not worth discussing.:cool:)
Mmmm, not quite I think. The actual definition is "value-free," so that while its first meaning is usually that it is a point open to discussion or debate [not necessarily that it is to be, or needs to be, discussed, but only that it is open], and its second that its practical relevance is low because it is too uncertain on which to base a decision [like the first meaning, so open to discussion as to be uncertain]. Not truly a contronym, as the two meanings have their root in the same concept. Now, "sanction," there's a contronym, one that has perplexed me to the point of mootness since childhood. ;)

And yes, today I am "that guy," while the temp soars above 100 and I try to bird-dog an odd light leak in my IQ4.150.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Mmmm, not quite I think. The actual definition is "value-free," so that while its first meaning is usually that it is a point open to discussion or debate [not necessarily that it is to be, or needs to be, discussed, but only that it is open], and its second that its practical relevance is low because it is too uncertain on which to base a decision [like the first meaning, so open to discussion as to be uncertain]. Not truly a contronym, as the two meanings have their root in the same concept. Now, "sanction," there's a contronym, one that has perplexed me to the point of mootness since childhood. ;)

And yes, today I am "that guy," while the temp soars above 100 and I try to bird-dog an odd light leak in my IQ4.150.
I'm a descriptivist. Yes, this is as :OT: as they come.

:ROTFL:

Matt

And sanction is a good one. I once saw a sign saying "No permitted vehicles allowed." That took me a LONG time to figure out.

drunkenspyder

I'm a descriptivist. Yes, this is as :OT: as they come.

:ROTFL:

Matt

And sanction is a good one. I once saw a sign saying "No permitted vehicles allowed." That took me a LONG time to figure out.
And now I’m ROTFLMAO! Love it. A little humor and a little Pinot go a long way. OT indeed.