The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa 12TC weight?

aly324

DigitalBack.com lists the Alpa 12TC's "ready-to-shoot" weight as ~1570g: https://www.digitalback.com/product/alpa-12-tc/

The Phase One A-series' weight is given as ~1900g.

Am I right to assume ~1570g includes a wood grip, a viewfinder, and a digital back but no lens, and ~1900g includes the mounted 35/4 HR lens but not the Alpa optical viewfinder?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The ALPA TC Body only is 220 grams .
The wooden grip costs extra and has of course extra weight , which is 110 grams .
The ALPA Viewfinder (lovely but heavy) is an other 280 grams .
That makes 610 grams for body with grip and ALPA viewfinder .

There is no lens and back yet . So your total weight depends on what lens and back you are going to use .

Steve Hendrix

Alpa lists the Alpa TC weight at 220 grams.

Our digital back.com website lists the Alpa TC as:

"Weight, body alone" from approx. 220 grams (depending on accessories). So our information matches the Alpa information.

We also list below that:

"Weight, ready for use" from approx. 1570 grams (depending on accessories).

The "ready for use" designation likely includes interface adapter, lens adapter, and lens (I presume the lightest lens as a starting point).

I just grabbed an Alpa TC (body only) and set it on our scale and it came in at 204 grams.

Steve Hendrix/CI

narikin

It can be fairly light, though the heaviest bit is the DB - Phase use a lot of metal in their backs as a passive heatsink - and there's no getting away from that.

Lightest combo also depends on lens, some are very light, some not. Schneider ones generally lighter than Roddie, but not always.

My preferred:

Alpa TC
+finger grip
+60mm Digaron-S with HPF ring
+Zeiss Optical Finder (T=35mm to match 60mm) + Alpa extended shoe plate
+Alpa-Phase adapter plate
=988g
+ digital back of your choice e.g. IQ4-150.
=745g with battery and card

Total: 1733g.

In comparison:

Phase One XF w 55mm LS lens, battery + IQ4
2970g

Fuji GFX-100 + 45mm lens 2 batteries + strap
1995g

The Alpa is a notably smaller package than either of the others.
I don't have the Alpa Optical Finder anymore to weigh. Sold it as it was big and heavy and there are better options by Zeiss, Voigtlander, etc.
Good luck.