The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IR Conversions for the X1D?

fotophil

Is anyone aware of X1D Cameras that have been converted to IR? There are a number of Fuji GFX 50S Cameras that have been successfully IR converted here in the US so it appears that the Sony 50 MP Chip is IR friendly. Currently one of the popular conversions is based on the clear "full spectrum" filter which supports visual full color, mixed visual-IR and pure IR imaging when the appropriate filter is placed on the taking lens.

kdphotography

Yes---and absolutely send in a fully charged battery despite Kolari's online website instructions saying otherwise! (ask me how I know :rolleyes:) If Kolari is converting a camera that is a bit off the mainstream, they won't have the battery or ability to power up the camera to test after conversion.

ken

tcdeveau

I'm also curious to see if anyone has done this already and its good to know there are folks out there that will do the conversion.

I had an A7R converted to full spectrum by lifepixel awhile back (great service and would recommend them). Have since sold it but have considered converting my X1D at some point down the line....

fotophil

One of the unknowns in IR Photography is lens performance. Lens design, lens shooting aperture and filter strength are among the factors that seem to control performance with respect to center hot spots. In the case of Fuji, the 32-64 Zoom apparently has some issues but the 45mm prime is fine. I know from first hand experience in the Nikon World is that the 24-70mm Zooms are very bad with hot spot problems bur the older 28-70 Zooms are fine. Big question is how do the X1D lenses do?

JoelM

I'm wondering if you really need that level of resolution for IR photography. I think your a7r is likely fine. The other main issue, as mentioned above, is lenses and potential hot spots. On the Sony and others, these are known, but on the Hasselblad, it is possible that you can't find a lens that will perform. Risky, but someone was the first jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

Joel

tcdeveau

I'm wondering if you really need that level of resolution for IR photography. I think your a7r is likely fine. The other main issue, as mentioned above, is lenses and potential hot spots. On the Sony and others, these are known, but on the Hasselblad, it is possible that you can't find a lens that will perform. Risky, but someone was the first jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

Joel
I imagine Hasselblad will come out with a true X1D successor at some point that I'd upgrade to (the mkII has a nice set of improvements but not worth the upgrade for me at this point), and that's the time when I'd consider converting the X1D - after upgrade when the X1D is sitting around as a backup cam. Potential lenses issues are definitely a concern and not sure I'd want to be the guinea pig for XCD lenses and testing third party lenses via adapters.

Assuming everything goes technically fine with disassembly, replacing the cover glass, and reassembly, worst case scenario with a full-spectrum conversion is you just shoot with a "hot mirror" (UV/IR filter) on the lens and it should perform as it would non-converted (or just convert it back).

The A7R was a little odd. Sometimes the results were great, sometimes they weren't. It's hard to explain. The biggest issue for me with the Sony's is that I found I just don't like using them that much. I also had an A7RII (not coverted), and the menu system and user experience was not my favorite, although they did deliver what I needed image-wise. I've since sold both the A7R-FS and A7RII. Not sure I see myself getting another Sony, but I need another 35mm FF system at some point in the near future so who knows. Really wish they'd work on their menu system.....maybe it's improved with the III and IV series.

fotophil

When shooting color images using a full spectrum some type of IR (and perhaps slight UV) filtration is to compensate for the original cover glass that was removed during the conversion process. Although the unwanted IR can be reflected away from the optical path with a hot mirror filter an alternative approach is the use of a cyan colored filter to absorb the excess IR. In my experience the absorption filters provide a more uniform filtration than the hot mirror filters.

kdphotography

I'm still a fan of Kolari Vision for conversions and using their IR Pro Slim filters. The latest unique filter offering is their IR Chrome filter (for use with full spectrum cameras only) which creates the look of Kodak Aerochrome IR film, straight out of camera, no editing required.

I need a small travel camera so have put my full spectrum Fuji GFX50S with 45mm and filters up for sale. Super fast filter changes with the xume magnetic filter rings.

See, https://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-f...ectrum-gf45mm-lens-filters-xume-adapters.html

Ken

Mexecutioner

I'm still a fan of Kolari Vision for conversions and using their IR Pro Slim filters. The latest unique filter offering is their IR Chrome filter (for use with full spectrum cameras only) which creates the look of Kodak Aerochrome IR film, straight out of camera, no editing required.

I need a small travel camera so have put my full spectrum Fuji GFX50S with 45mm and filters up for sale. Super fast filter changes with the xume magnetic filter rings.

See, https://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-f...ectrum-gf45mm-lens-filters-xume-adapters.html

Ken
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I’m curious on which small travel camera you’re thinking about Ken?