The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1d + ES + studioflash

danlindberg

This image was shot with (only moments ago) Hasselblad X1d mounted on the Alpa 12 Plus with a Schneider 120 and Profoto studioflashes.
So, how did I do it? :p

pegelli

Room with curtains/blinds closed, artificial lights on, focus on subject, turn lights off , put camera on "B" (or something equivalent) and start exposure, flash manually, end exposure, put normal room lights back on.

I don't know if this is how you did it, but that's what I would do when I would not be able to have my camera trigger the flashes normally.

Especially if you did something different I'd be very interested to know :)

danlindberg

Room with curtains/blinds closed, artificial lights on, focus on subject, turn lights off , put camera on "B" (or something equivalent) and start exposure, flash manually, end exposure, put normal room lights back on.

I don't know if this is how you did it, but that's what I would do when I would not be able to have my camera trigger the flashes normally.

Especially if you did something different I'd be very interested to know :)
Na, not quite. I had ambient light coming in from windows and normal lights on in the room.

danlindberg

It is actually a very simple solution.

1. Normal live view composing and focusing
2. Close and cock the Copal shutter
3. Start a 4 sec exposure with Electronic Shutter
4. Let cam settle for the first 2 seconds and then trigger the Copal with a cable realese - flashes triggered by standard sync cable to Copal.

Done ;)

mristuccia

It is actually a very simple solution.

1. Normal live view composing and focusing
2. Close and cock the Copal shutter
3. Start a 4 sec exposure with Electronic Shutter
4. Let cam settle for the first 2 seconds and then trigger the Copal with a cable realese - flashes triggered by standard sync cable to Copal.

Done ;)
Then the title should be "X1d + ES + LS + studioflash". :grin:

pegelli

Aaaah, you didn't mention the Copal in your title.

But good use of the tools to get what you want :thumbup:

danlindberg

True, but I was very clear on what equipment I used in the very first line of the first post ;) a little misleading on purpose :eek:

I shot with this method all afternoon yesterday and works great!

gmfotografie

great

dan - are you using the x1d with the 12plus?
will the new system with the 907 gives us more advantages with using flashes?

vjbelle

I know this is obvious but for us owners of 'Aperture only' lenses this is not a solution. However, still clever use of what you have.

Victor