The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Help Please!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Curious to know what advancements specifically for tech camera users are pretty staggering. I have both and other than megapixel count and little better on the lens cast, I don't know what else the advantage for tech camera is.
From our article here: https://phaseoneiq4.com/11-reasons-tech-camera-users-will-love-the-iq4/

I'm very surprised to hear you say you find the lens cast reduction only "a little better" - can you explain a bit more?

- Much less color cast / falloff
- Improved live view
- No need for manual dark frames
- Frame averaging for almost zero noise
- Increased Resolution
- Faster ES
- Focus Mask in live view
- Live Raw histogram in live view
- Faster image navigation during review

You have both; do you not find the above to be very useful? The first four are what I've found personally to be "staggering" in impact of my own tech camera shooting. They equal much less hassle and a much smoother shooting workflow in my experience.

Notably there are two current disadvantages of the IQ4 vs IQ3 on a tech camera: longer boot times and no zero-latency triggering for copal shutter sync.

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
IQ4 tech camera advantages
1. With wides literally no color cast and nominal light fall off.
I would just temper this slightly by saying the color cast is greatly reduced. The amount of reduction is such that most people with most lenses with most movements will not find the color cast warrants an LCC.

In the case of extreme lenses (e.g. 28XL) or extreme movement (e.g. beyond the stated image circle) or extreme use case (e.g. scientific color analysis or art reproduction) or an extremely picker user, an LCC may still be needed.

kdphotography

Felix is a known seller and GetDPI family member. The IQ3 is an excellent value.

Another option-----check in with Phase One dealer's on possible trade-ins on the IQ3 for the IQ4 150. Buy the IQ3----and trade in for the IQ4 can save a substantial amount of money.

Both IQ3 and IQ4 are awesome MFDBs----you really can't go wrong.

If you haven't tried the various technical cameras, I would definitely try Alpa, Arca, and Cambo to see which suits you best. I prefer the Cambo WRS 1600. The HR40 t/s remains my main lens.

ken

Greg Haag

Felix is a known seller and GetDPI family member. The IQ3 is an excellent value.

Another option-----check in with Phase One dealer's on possible trade-ins on the IQ3 for the IQ4 150. Buy the IQ3----and trade in for the IQ4 can save a substantial amount of money.

Both IQ3 and IQ4 are awesome MFDBs----you really can't go wrong.

If you haven't tried the various technical cameras, I would definitely try Alpa, Arca, and Cambo to see which suits you best. I prefer the Cambo WRS 1600. The HR40 t/s remains my main lens.

ken
Thank you Ken, Felix and I are talking Saturday! I have heard so many good things about the Cambo WRS 1600.
Thanks again,
Greg

Steve Hendrix

Thanks for the clarification, Steve. From my notes from a recent inquiry I had $2899 for t/s mount but would be happy to be wrong about this!

John

Hi John -

Some lenses can vary in price (90HR and 180HR are closer to the $2,800 - $3,000 range), and if the lens is not already in a WRS mount, then the cost is of course higher.

Steve Hendrix/CI

BFD

From our article here: https://phaseoneiq4.com/11-reasons-tech-camera-users-will-love-the-iq4/

I'm very surprised to hear you say you find the lens cast reduction only "a little better" - can you explain a bit more?

- Much less color cast / falloff
- Improved live view
- No need for manual dark frames
- Frame averaging for almost zero noise
- Increased Resolution
- Faster ES
- Focus Mask in live view
- Live Raw histogram in live view
- Faster image navigation during review

You have both; do you not find the above to be very useful? The first four are what I've found personally to be "staggering" in impact of my own tech camera shooting. They equal much less hassle and a much smoother shooting workflow in my experience.

Notably there are two current disadvantages of the IQ4 vs IQ3 on a tech camera: longer boot times and no zero-latency triggering for copal shutter sync.
Perhaps my "little bit better" was understated and should have been "better".

Of course, it's a 150MP back so the resolution is increased.

The other points are welcome additions but certainly not staggering, in my opinion. With those nice additions came along a lot of baggage that has been made most users feel like beta testers. No Ad Hoc WiFi which now requires a separate router to use live view with an iPad, the ridiculous boot up time—really the whole C1 inside the back is useless to most people. I don't doubt that the back and it's software will be sorted out in the years to come but right now the nose slaps heavily outweigh the attaboys. So, no, I don't find most of the new features to be very useful. I use all my equipment in both personal and commercial environments and so far the IQ4 mostly is on set for a backup.

RLB

For your budget I'd recommend IQ3, Arca Swiss Rm3di with rotating back, L60 head for tripod and a Lee hood with adaptors for your lenses.

Lenses: All of the Rode HR's are excellent as well as some of the Schneiders. The problem with lenses is that they are low volume and therefore very expensive.
Used clean is the way to go if you have patience.

The Rode32Hr (Blue ring) is amazing (and equally pricey). The 40mmHR Rode (Blue ring) is far smaller, lighter and a superb lens that is much less expensive...I'd therefore start with that for a wide. If you want to super wide I know of a 23mm Rode that is mint and nicely priced in an Arca mount.

The Rode 70HR (Blue ring) is a great standard length lens. 90mm Rode (Blue or Magenta ring) is the EXACT same lens and is 1/3 the cost of the 90mm HR
but has quality nearly as good in my opinion. 120mmSchneider ASP if you can find one is amazing.

Robert

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Perhaps my "little bit better" was understated and should have been "better".
And I probably should have used a word other than "staggering" which sounds marketing-ish anyway. I still think "significant" or even "very significant" is warranted, based on broadly sourced feedback from our clients. But of course, as you point out P1 still has some items on their to do list for the new platform (ad hoc wireless, zero latency), which, if they effect your needs/use are also significant. How significant any of these given pro or con is will depend on ones needs/wants/workflow.

RLB

And I probably should have used a word other than "staggering" which sounds marketing-ish anyway. I still think "significant" or even "very significant" is warranted, based on broadly sourced feedback from our clients. But of course, as you point out P1 still has some items on their to do list for the new platform (ad hoc wireless, zero latency), which, if they effect your needs/use are also significant. How significant any of these given pro or con is will depend on ones needs/wants/workflow.
There is no question that IQ4 150 (cost as no object) is the best DB for Tech cameras ever. Having personally moved from an IQ180 to the IQ4 I can attest it was a chasmic jump with many positive gains. That said on a budget the IQ3 100 is a great back at a fabulous price point, and you need to buy a camera and lenses...lenses will kick your budget so choose wisely.

Robert

BFD

Agreed. Your input is always valued and appreciated.

Greg Haag

IQ4 tech camera advantages

1. With wides literally no color cast and nominal light fall off.
2. 35XL can be used on center without CF unless subject has solid color like blue
sky. 35XL was pretty hard to use on the 3100 at least for me.
3. No dark frame needed, IMO a huge advantage in the field.
4. Light fall off areas on shifts have less noise.
5. Frame averaging can be used in certain situations for extremely clean files.
6. Focus peaking can help quite a bit.

IA4 tech camera disadvantages

1. Live view at 100 percent view is not sharp or detailed. Harder to discern sharp
focus.
2. Auto exposure live view is buggy pulsing between too bright too dark.
3. Exposure simulation is not useful in low light due to frame rate.

But right now the 3100 is priced to sell.

Paul C
Paul,
Thank you so much for sharing your insight on the IQ4, it certainly appears to be an impressive back! Until recently, I have shot within the Hasselblad H system for the past 10 or so years (H2, H4, H6), but never with a technical camera so this is a big change in shooting style for me. On one hand I love some of the features you mentioned on the IQ4, on the other hand the IQ3100 seems to be a lower risk way to enter until I am certain I can make the jump to a technical camera. Any insights you might have with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Greg

Greg Haag

For those of you with the digital back/tech camera setup, would you also recommend getting the XF Camera?
Thanks in advance,
Greg

BFD

For those of you with the digital back/tech camera setup, would you also recommend getting the XF Camera?
Thanks in advance,
Greg
I used to use the H system but was forced to switch to the XF when the IQ4 came out. I was very reluctant and not looking forward to the switch. Now I love the XF and wish I had switched earlier. The camera is great to use and I actually use many of the gadget type features that it has built-in which is something I'm not usually akin to. The camera and lenses are really good.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks in advance,
Greg
If the choice is between getting the XF vs a better lens (32HR or 90HRSW for example), then I'd go with the lens. However, whilst I often joke about the XF being built like a boat anchor, it is a very flexible and high performing body for an IQ back. You'll obviously need to consider what lenses you'd want for the XF too and that can be potentially another money pit.

I'm glad that I have an XF along with my Actus DB2 but I typically use the tech camera 99% of the time. If all else fails, with the XF you'll have a great piece of weight training gear! :ROTFL:

Greg Haag

I used to use the H system but was forced to switch to the XF when the IQ4 came out. I was very reluctant and not looking forward to the switch. Now I love the XF and wish I had switched earlier. The camera is great to use and I actually use many of the gadget type features that it has built-in which is something I'm not usually akin to. The camera and lenses are really good.
Dana, thank you for your insight!

Greg Haag

If the choice is between getting the XF vs a better lens (32HR or 90HRSW for example), then I'd go with the lens. However, whilst I often joke about the XF being built like a boat anchor, it is a very flexible and high performing body for an IQ back. You'll obviously need to consider what lenses you'd want for the XF too and that can be potentially another money pit.

I'm glad that I have an XF along with my Actus DB2 but I typically use the tech camera 99% of the time. If all else fails, with the XF you'll have a great piece of weight training gear! :ROTFL:
Graham, thank you for insight! If I were going to have 3 lenses on my radar for the technical camera, which 3 would you recommend. My primary use is landscape and exterior commercial architecture.
Thanks,
Greg

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I don't use my cameras for any commercial reasons and pretty much just landscape use so my choices might not be ideal for a working pro's needs but here's my story:

For the technical camera I went with a pretty standard set up second time around for my Actus - 40HR, 70HR and SK 120. With my Alpa I had 32HR, 90HR and SK150 which was also a very useful combination (It was stolen). In the past I also had the 23HR but TBH that was nice to have but I didn't use it much as it was a tricky lens to deal with (reflections/flare/LCC etc).

The reality (for me at least) is that the two most used lenses by far were the 32/90 or 40/70 with the longer 120mm+ lenses only being rarely used, although obviously when you need them, you need them unless you want to crop. With a tech cam having movements gives you a lot of flexibility when using just a couple of lenses so if you want to go really wide it's easy to stitch without needing to go to the widest lens extremes (like the 23HR).

dchew

Greg,
The four best lenses out there for technical cameras are the 32hr, 90hrsw, sk120 asph and the new 138hr-float. But, those three Rodenstock lenses add up to well North of $30k, maybe even $40k and you need to be in someone's will to get your hands on a sk120 asph. A tier below that, but still excellent are a mixture of Schneider (sk) and Rodenstock (hr):
sk28xl, sk35xl, 40hr, sk43xl, sk60xl, 50hr*, 70hr, sk72, sk90/100 (either one), sk120N, sk150, 180hr. There are probably a few I missed there, and some on this list may be slightly better than others, especially farther out in the image circle.

To some extent, the back/lens decision is interdependent if you want the most flexibility. If you need these for architecture, you would lean toward the Schneider lenses on the wide end because they have less distortion. Rodenstocks have a bit of mustache distortion which can be difficult to remove, although not impossible. The problem with Schneider lenses on the wide end is their shift amount is limited by lens color cast on anything but the IQ4 150. If you go for the IQ3 100 (which frankly I think is your best path), you really should use center filters on sk lenses wider than the sk72.

As others have stated, the general rule is Rodenstocks are heavier, have more distortion but have larger usable image circles. There are exceptions, like the sk60 and sk120 asph.

Dave

*Never owned the 50hr, but it may sneak into the top tier group. I hear it is quite good.