The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Help Please!

Greg Haag

Pretty much an ideal ‘starter’ outfit and TBH a lot of folks only have / need / want a single tech lens outfit! :thumbs:
Thanks Graham, I think the 32HR will cover my most important needs. I want to pick someplace to shoot with it this fall, maybe GSMNP, so hopefully I will have most of the kinks worked out by then.

dchew

Well, I pulled the trigger and my setup will be here tomorrow. I really appreciate Steve Hendrix with Capture Integration for his patience and insight while I worked thru this, as well as the wealth of knowledge and insight from everyone here. I wish there was a book on how to's for the next step, but I will wade in tomorrow and see how it goes. If anyone knows of any great workshops or opportunities to learn more about shooting with technical cameras, I would love to know about them. Below is what I ordered to get started.

Phase One IQ3 100 Digital Back,
Certified Pre-Owned
5,800 shots
Value Add Warranty

Phase One 3400mAh Lithium Battery (4)
Phase One Wake Up Cable
Phase One Mini to Multi Adapter Cable for Wake Up
Kaiser Locking Cable Release 20"
Hahnel Remote Release for IQ3
CI Pocket LCC

Cambo WRS 1600 Technical Shift Camera
New

Rodenstock 32mm/4 HR-W Lens in Cambo Copal Shutter Lenspanel
Certified Pre-Owned

Cambo WRS Interface for IQ4
Great news, Greg! And a wonderful start. Steve is a fantastic resource and will help you tremendously. Sent you a PM with a document that might help to get started.

Dave

Greg Haag

Glad you reached resolution and a package that makes sense for you. Have fun shooting!
Thank you Geoff, I am glad to have this decision behind me! I am looking forward, and a bit intimidated, to start hands on learning and shooting.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Greg,

You realize that by starting with what is basically the perfect single lens set up we'll all be wanting to see what you produce with it.

No pressure ... :ROTFL:

(Btw, it takes a little while to get the shooting/dark frame/LCC coordination right but not difficult if you've ever used a view camera - I'm sure that Dave's helper doc covers everything you'll need to know)

Last edited:

stngoldberg

Well, I pulled the trigger and my setup will be here tomorrow. I really appreciate Steve Hendrix with Capture Integration for his patience and insight while I worked thru this, as well as the wealth of knowledge and insight from everyone here. I wish there was a book on how to's for the next step, but I will wade in tomorrow and see how it goes. If anyone knows of any great workshops or opportunities to learn more about shooting with technical cameras, I would love to know about them. Below is what I ordered to get started.

Phase One IQ3 100 Digital Back,
Certified Pre-Owned
5,800 shots
Value Add Warranty

Phase One 3400mAh Lithium Battery (4)
Phase One Wake Up Cable
Phase One Mini to Multi Adapter Cable for Wake Up
Kaiser Locking Cable Release 20"
Hahnel Remote Release for IQ3
CI Pocket LCC

Cambo WRS 1600 Technical Shift Camera
New

Rodenstock 32mm/4 HR-W Lens in Cambo Copal Shutter Lenspanel
Certified Pre-Owned

Cambo WRS Interface for IQ4

You are going to need a center filter for that 32mm lens.
The CI pocket LCC is too small to comfortably cover the lens with center filter
Otherwise you are ready to create “Art.”
Stanley

Greg Haag

Greg,

You realize that by starting with what is basically the perfect single lens set up we'll all be wanting to see what you produce with it.

No pressure ... :ROTFL:

(Btw, it takes a little while to get the shooting/dark frame/LCC coordination right but not difficult if you've ever used a view camera - I'm sure that Dave's helper doc covers everything you'll need to know)
Graham, *spoiler alert* I am going to disappoint. I have trolled the Technical Camera Images thread for sometime now and you and everyone else on this thread do amazing work, it is part of what inspired me to get a technical camera. The good news is with time, I hope to disappoint less. Thanks again for your help!

BTW, Dave's document is amazing, such a great resource!

Steve Hendrix

You are going to need a center filter for that 32mm lens.
The CI pocket LCC is too small to comfortably cover the lens with center filter
Otherwise you are ready to create “Art.”
Stanley

Agree about the center filter, although given that it is $1,000 for a filter, I like the idea of starting without one unless you know in advance that you will consistently be shooting extended movements vs more moderate movements. And not only will you need a larger LCC, you'll potentially need a larger filter holder system (if you have no other lenses exiting at +100mm). Some use one, some do not. Once you've determined your shooting parameters, you can always choose to add one and spend that $1,000.

Steve Hendrix/CI