The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Help Please!

Greg Haag

I think I am finally ready to look at acquiring a technical camera and back. I was hoping to get some insight from someone with experience both in the area of which combination of equipment and who you would recommend to buy from. I am leaning toward one of the phase one backs, a couple of lenses to start with (architectural & landscape) and really needing some guidance on which technical camera. I would prefer to spend $40,000 or less on this package, is that unrealistic?
Thanks in advance,
Greg

BFD

I think I am finally ready to look at acquiring a technical camera and back. I was hoping to get some insight from someone with experience both in the area of which combination of equipment and who you would recommend to buy from. I am leaning toward one of the phase one backs, a couple of lenses to start with (architectural & landscape) and really needing some guidance on which technical camera. I would prefer to spend $40,000 or less on this package, is that unrealistic?
Thanks in advance,
Greg
Probably doable on that budget. You can find used IQ3 100 backs for about $20,000 nowadays which would leave room to get the camera body and possibly a couple lenses. IMO, I would not go lower than the IQ3 back. On lenses, make sure to get newer generation digital lenses. The analog and early digital lenses will leave you disappointed and probably frustrated with the whole process.

Greg Haag

Probably doable on that budget. You can find used IQ3 100 backs for about $20,000 nowadays which would leave room to get the camera body and possibly a couple lenses. IMO, I would not go lower than the IQ3 back. On lenses, make sure to get newer generation digital lenses. The analog and early digital lenses will leave you disappointed and probably frustrated with the whole process.
Thank you for the feedback Dana! If my budget was a little flexible, what would you consider the best back/tech camera combination?

Jamgolf

... what would you consider the best back/tech camera combination?
IMHO
Best back: IQ4-150
Best Lens: Rodenstock 32HR, 50HR, 90HRSW (and by all accounts 138HRSW)
All technical cameras are great - Alpa, Cambo, Arca etc. There is no wrong choice. Pick what you like.

Also ... if you have to make a decision due to any budget constraints, I would recommend prioritizing best lenses ahead of the best back.

BFD

IMHO
All technical cameras are great - Alpa, Cambo, Arca etc. There is no wrong choice. Pick what you like.

Also ... if you have to make a decision due to any budget constraints, I would recommend prioritizing best lenses ahead of the best back.
I 2nd the IQ4-150 but it will put you back $45K. It does better than the IQ3 with tech lenses in regard to lens cast. But with the Rodenstock HR lenses that's not much of problem even with the IQ3. But then again if you buy the IQ4 you are pretty much a beta tester and it comes with a ton of headaches. I still mostly use my IQ3 because it's so solid and works great in the field with no surprises. My IQ4 just gets used when I shoot handheld one the XF.

Also, just saw someone selling an IQ3 100 on Luminous Landscape for $12K. I've seen many sub $20K used IQ3s but this is probably the best price I've ever seen.

Greg Haag

IMHO

Jawad, thank you for your insight! One area of importance to me is ease of focus, my eyesight is not what it used to be, I believe live view is going to be important for me.

Thanks again,
Greg

Greg Haag

I 2nd the IQ4-150 but it will put you back $45K. It does better than the IQ3 with tech lenses in regard to lens cast. But with the Rodenstock HR lenses that's not much of problem even with the IQ3. But then again if you buy the IQ4 you are pretty much a beta tester and it comes with a ton of headaches. I still mostly use my IQ3 because it's so solid and works great in the field with no surprises. My IQ4 just gets used when I shoot handheld one the XF.

Also, just saw someone selling an IQ3 100 on Luminous Landscape for $12K. I've seen many sub $20K used IQ3s but this is probably the best price I've ever seen.
Dana, thanks for the additional insight! The IQ3 100 may be a great place for me to start.

BFD

Jawad, thank you for your insight! One area of importance to me is ease of focus, my eyesight is not what it used to be, I believe live view is going to be important for me.

Thanks again,
Greg
iPad is the best for focus and composing. It's kind of like having your 8x10 ground glass back.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Any chance you can make it to one of our Phase One Texas Roadshow cities (Dallas/Austin/Houston)? We'll have a ton of tech cameras and several suitable Phase One backs.

The world of tech cameras is far broader and deeper than you'd expect for a niche toolset, so having the chance to put your hands on a variety of models is really handy.

If not, we can arrange a remote demo for you via Skype or FaceTime and then followup with an evaluation rental shipped to you of whatever seems most suitable after the demo.

Ton of information here, if you haven't seen it:
https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/arca-swiss-technical-cameras/
https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/cambo-technical-cameras/

We'll also be broadcasting this tech camera oriented event via webinar.

Last edited:

Jamgolf

The IQ3 100 may be a great place for me to start.
IQ3-100 with its current pricing in the used marked is just an incrediblle value.
Without a doubt IQ4-150 is the best back available, but as a IQ3-100 owner, I have far more envy/GAS for Rodenstock 138mm than I have for an IQ4-150.

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
IQ3-100 with its current pricing in the used marked is just an incrediblle value.
Without a doubt IQ4-150 is the best back available, but as a IQ3-100 owner, I have far more envy/GAS for Rodenstock 138mm than I have for and IQ4-150.
Curious if you've had the chance to use an IQ4 in person? The advancements specifically for tech camera users are pretty staggering.

I've also recently used the 138HR quite a bit. Both obviously very desirable.

BFD

Curious if you've had the chance to use an IQ4 in person? The advancements specifically for tech camera users are pretty staggering.

Curious to know what advancements specifically for tech camera users are pretty staggering. I have both and other than megapixel count and little better on the lens cast, I don't know what else the advantage for tech camera is.

Jamgolf

Actually, I have not had hands-on experience with IQ4-150, but I've looked at RAW files and I've read first hand user experiences on forums like this. No doubt there are features that make it better than an IQ3-100, that is to be expected. For my own needs I feel if I had some money burning hole in my pocket, I'd get me a Rodenstock 138mm first, because I've always had love for great glass and 138mm would offer me something that I value more than what an IQ4-150 would give me.

Greg Haag

Paul2660

IQ4 tech camera advantages

1. With wides literally no color cast and nominal light fall off.
2. 35XL can be used on center without CF unless subject has solid color like blue
sky. 35XL was pretty hard to use on the 3100 at least for me.
3. No dark frame needed, IMO a huge advantage in the field.
4. Light fall off areas on shifts have less noise.
5. Frame averaging can be used in certain situations for extremely clean files.
6. Focus peaking can help quite a bit.

IA4 tech camera disadvantages

1. Live view at 100 percent view is not sharp or detailed. Harder to discern sharp
focus.
2. Auto exposure live view is buggy pulsing between too bright too dark.
3. Exposure simulation is not useful in low light due to frame rate.

But right now the 3100 is priced to sell.

Paul C

jng

The Cambo WRS1250, Rodie 40HR and IQ3100 form the mainstay of my tech cam kit. As mentioned by TC, the kit for sale would be a great starting point and leave plenty of $$ leftover to build out a nice set of lenses.

Note from Dante: if you want tilt/swing capabilities on the 40, you'd need to send the lens to Cambo for re-mounting for around $3000.

Good luck!

John

Steve Hendrix

IQ4 tech camera advantages

1. With wides literally no color cast and nominal light fall off.
2. 35XL can be used on center without CF unless subject has solid color like blue
sky. 35XL was pretty hard to use on the 3100 at least for me.
3. No dark frame needed, IMO a huge advantage in the field.
4. Light fall off areas on shifts have less noise.
5. Frame averaging can be used in certain situations for extremely clean files.
6. Focus peaking can help quite a bit.

IA4 tech camera disadvantages

1. Live view at 100 percent view is not sharp or detailed. Harder to discern sharp
focus.
2. Auto exposure live view is buggy pulsing between too bright too dark.
3. Exposure simulation is not useful in low light due to frame rate.

But right now the 3100 is priced to sell.

Paul C

I agree - IQ3 100's are at a great price point these days.

One thing about IQ4 150 that I've never made a big deal of, in the past I would just mention the User Interface is improved. But having spent as much time as I have now with the IQ4 150, I did some testing with an IQ3 100 the other day and the interface just felt clunky by comparison, notably so. Especially when using Electronic Shutter.

Took me a while to get used to it, but now I feel I operate much more seamlessly with an IQ4 compared to any previous IQ interface.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix

The Cambo WRS1250, Rodie 40HR and IQ3100 form the mainstay of my tech cam kit. As mentioned by TC, the kit for sale would be a great starting point and leave plenty of $$ leftover to build out a nice set of lenses.

Note from Dante: if you want tilt/swing capabilities on the 40, you'd need to send the lens to Cambo for re-mounting for around $3000.

Good luck!

John

John, closer to $2,100.

Steve Hendrix/CI