The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone Using 3rd Party Lenses on Hasselblad X1D

rollsman44

I have been researching this topic but not many lenses out there with very good image quality. I am looking for just 1 lens to use for my portraits. I have the Hassy XCD 65mm which works great for my portraits but 1 more with a longer length would be next. Thanks Dennis

Godfrey

I'm still waiting for the camera to show up, but I'm going to try my Leica R lenses on the Hasselblad 907x using an R->XCD mount adapter. I figure most R lenses should cover the square crop nicely (33x33mm) and the longer ones might work well on the full frame (33x44mm).

Of course, if I were going to be critical about it and getting paid for my photography, I'd likely just buy the right XCD lens. I've ordered the XCD 21mm to come with the camera; ultimately, I'll probably want the XCD 45mm and XCD 120mm Macro. The XCD 80mm also looks killer. But it will be nice to experiment with my Leica R and M lenses on this sensor. :)

G

jng

Portraits using adapted lenses might be tricky (but certainly not impossible) given that you'd be limited to using the electronic shutter, which takes about 1/3 second to sweep through an exposure (plus the exposure time itself). With this limitation aside, for longer focal lengths you might look into the older Hasselblad Zeiss V system lenses. These were designed to cover the 6x6 format so will do well with the smaller 33x44mm sensor. In my experience, the 100/3.5, 120/4 Makro, 150/4 and 180/4 are all excellent - good copies in the "CF" mount can be found for under $1000. The 250/5.6 Superachromat is exceptional; good copies are a bit harder to find and are pricier ($2500-3000).

The native XCD lenses in the comparable focal lengths are almost certainly sharper and can be used with either the leaf shutter or electronic shutter, but they are much more expensive. As Godfrey alludes to above, it's possible to experiment with these older lenses without breaking the bank.

Hope this helps.

John

rollsman44

Thank you for sharing. Now to see which adaptor is the best one to use that has no play in it and works Good. Any suggestions Dennis

Godfrey

Thank you for sharing. Now to see which adaptor is the best one to use that has no play in it and works Good. Any suggestions Dennis
Adapters-wise, I purchased a Fotodiox Pro M to XCD and R to XCD because Fotodiox adapters have been okay in the past. Depending on how well the lenses work, I'll buy the Novoflex adapter for the ones I want to use ... Novoflex has always done me well, but they're about a hundred dollars more pre adapter than the Fotodiox Pro. The M to XCD arrived the other day and it looks very nice, but I'll know better when the 907x gets here.

I have V system lenses (50mm, 80mm, 120mm Macro, and 150mm) ... For my setup, I haven't purchased the V to XCD adapter yet because, after all, I can use those lenses on the 500CM and just slide the CFV50cII back from the 907x to that camera, and I'll have the usual full reflex viewfinder and features to work with that way. If I'd bought the X1D, I'd have purchased the Hasselblad adapter for those lenses right off the bat ... they're wonderful old lenses.

I've had these lenses a while and don't know what current prices are, but they're sure worth keeping to me. :)

G

jng

The Hasselblad X to V adapter works fine but you need to check to make sure the lens actually locks in securely (a previous copy purchased used from B&H failed this test and was sent back). For heavier lenses you may wish to purchase the tripod collar/foot as well.

I also have the Fotodiox adapter, which has a built-in Arca-Swiss compatible foot. Both sides of the mount are pretty secure although there's a bit of flex in the foot ("fixed" by wedging in a trimmed down wine bottle cork) so I recently switched to the adapter sold by Hasselblad.

John

rollsman44

It seems that there is too much to do so I decided to wait and buy the XCD lens. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. Dennis