The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D MkII Initial thoughts

Paratom

One thing I realized: The viewfinder-rubber of the markII doesnt stick out as much as with the markI. This is a disadvantage for people with long noses like me. I am serious. It wouldnt be a dealbreaker for me right now. The dealbreaker for me could be the low expected price I can achieve for my mark I. The improvements of markII are welcome, but I dont know yet if it is worth for me to spin out the money to upgrade. Specially the speed advantages - the mark II is faster than mark ii but still slow camera.

P. Chong

Thanks for this review Joe. Enjoyed it. Have you compared the X1D either versions to the GFX 50R? Did you keep the 50S? I am leaning towards the 50R, as the GFX system seems more mature, and they have the lenses I need. Like extension tubes, and compatibility with H lenses which I still own. Yes, I know the XH adapter exists, but the Fuji implementation is cleaner, and more elegant, and works with the leaf shutter.

I just published a blog post here documenting my first impressions of the new camera. I've been using the original X1D since early 2017 and love the original camera, despite its shortcomings. The X1D II has several improvements that attracted me:

• Improved EVF and magnification through viewfinder
  • Larger (3.6") rear LCD touchscreen
  • In-camera GPS
  • Faster in all respects (start up, shut down, frame rate, less shutter lag and EVF blackout, etc.)
My expectations for the X1D II may have been more modest than some.

My primary subjects are landscapes.

I'd welcome your feedback. Thanks in advance.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with Hasselblad in any way and derive no income from my website (or from my photography :D ).

Joe

P. Chong

Thanks Joe for your reply. Appreciate it.

I did try the X1D on an extended loan and wrote a review of it.

https://deployant.com/chill-out-thursday-musings-over-the-hasselblad-x1d-camera-system/

The X1D is perhaps the best camera I have used. It is slow and deliberate, and for my pace of working, it suits me well. The lenses I tried - 21/45/90 were all superb. And I always felt like picking up the camera to shoot. This is good. I have found, as you have, the Hasselblad user interface is the best, and the way the camera handles and feels on the hand is best of breed. As you know, I am a long term user of the H System, and love the ergonomics, and think the Hasselblad team knows a thing or two about camera handling.

What's not good is that I am troubled a bit by the blackout after each shot as well as the slow start, but I can get used to it. So the biggest issue for me is that the ecosystem surrounding the X1D is lacking. The only macro lens it has is large and heavy. And only goes to 1/2 magnification. No native extension tubes available to bring it close to 1:1. I know Fotodiox makes two tubes, but dealing with them is a joke. Though that is a story for another day, in brief, they had trouble telling me what magnification I can achieve with each of the two tubes on various XCD lenses. I did find out later, but it does not give me confidence in the company.

As I understand it, the XH adapter works less well than the Fuji GFX H adapter, perhaps because the H lenses are made by Fuji. The XH is not able to release the leaf shutter on the HC, whereas, the GFX H is able to. This means that I will need to use the electronic shutter on the X1D, ruling out the use of flash, which is critical for shooting watches.

Whereas, the GFX50R's sole macro lens is also heavy and also only 1:2, native extension tubes exist. And apparently work very well. For smaller magnifications, up to almost life size, the longer tube with say the 45mm or new 50mm suffices, and is much lighter. I am planning to try out the 50R with either these lenses and extension tubes, and compare the results to the 120mm (which is capable of 1:1 with the longer tube). And also to the H adapter with my current HC120 wll give 1:1, and HC80 with tubes close to that and lighter. And will write about the results.

Though I shoot in a studio like environment, almost all my work on watches is done with a portable studio. I shoot almost exclusively in situ, in show conditions (big watch shows like SIHH, Baselworld) and I hand hold the camera with one hand...the other is used to pose the watch. Somewhere on my site is an article talking about how I shoot watches. So I will need a lightweight camera/lens system, and probably a well balanced one as well.

I also shoot in watch manufactures - buildings, machines on site, and do quite a few portraits of watchmakers and CEOs. So I think the 23 and perhaps the 120 or 110 will be part of my kit together with either the 45 or 50. And if the GFX H adapter works well, I might get away with using my HCD28 instead of having to buy the 23, and the HC80 as a portrait lens instead of the 110/120.

I understand there are various grips with integrated Arca plates for the GFX50r - two which come to mind are the Peipro and Smallrig. So I am guessing that would solve the lack of a good grip on the GFX50r.

The only thing now is for me to try out the 50r...which should happen within the next month or so...I hope.

I briefly owned a GFX 50S and also tried a 50R. I posted a comparison of the 50S and the X1D on my blog here. .......
Joe

sog1927

Thanks Joe for your reply. Appreciate it.

As I understand it, the XH adapter works less well than the Fuji GFX H adapter, perhaps because the H lenses are made by Fuji. The XH is not able to release the leaf shutter on the HC, whereas, the GFX H is able to. This means that I will need to use the electronic shutter on the X1D, ruling out the use of flash, which is critical for shooting watches.
That's not the case. The XH adapter has always been able to trigger the leaf shutter on the H lenses. Older H lenses (firmware version < 18, IIRC) cannot autofocus (something I pretty much never use anyway) but that's the only limitation I know of.

I've had pretty good luck with the Fotodiox tubes, but as you say they don't document the achievable magnifications with different lenses. I'd really like a bellows.

sog1927

You might be confusing it with the XV adapter, which is just a "dumb tube" with no way to trigger the shutter in the C/CF/CFE lenses (and no way to stop down the aperture in any of the V lenses).

P. Chong

Thanks for pointing that out. Good to know that the leaf shutter works w XH.

Fotodiox not only does not publish the data, but their tech support gave me incorrect info.

For field work, bellows are too cumbersome, but I do like the look of the Novaflex ones. 😁

That's not the case. The XH adapter has always been able to trigger the leaf shutter on the H lenses. Older H lenses (firmware version < 18, IIRC) cannot autofocus (something I pretty much never use anyway) but that's the only limitation I know of.

I've had pretty good luck with the Fotodiox tubes, but as you say they don't document the achievable magnifications with different lenses. I'd really like a bellows.

bab

If you have been with Hasselblad digital very long and participate in these forums, it doesn't take long to expect negative posts as a normal course of events. It just comes with the Hasselblad territory. Test the equipment and make up your own mind. I've been using the X1D for a long time, and I am more than happy with it. Is it a perfect system? No, but it meets or exceeds almost all the requirements I need or want.

Greg
That’s because Hasselblad has asked for suggestions for firmware updates and alluded to positive future updates. For me a my little H6D 100c the camera is what it is period, there have been a few firmware updates to satisfy museum clients. No statements or kinda sorta promises from any Hasselblad team members can be counted on. Hype about cash infusions from DJI to facilitate your Hasselblad dreams is total B.S. so far. That’s why the NEGATIVE posts GREG.

hcubell

My understanding is that the GFX will not autofocus with any H series lenses, regardless of vintage.

hcubell

That’s because Hasselblad has asked for suggestions for firmware updates and alluded to positive future updates. For me a my little H6D 100c the camera is what it is period, there have been a few firmware updates to satisfy museum clients. No statements or kinda sorta promises from any Hasselblad team members can be counted on. Hype about cash infusions from DJI to facilitate your Hasselblad dreams is total B.S. so far. That’s why the NEGATIVE posts GREG.
The cardinal rule when it comes to buying any kind of electronic equipment today is to only buy based upon what’s available NOW, never what you hope or even are promised by the manufacturer will be delivered in the future. If a camera as configured today doesn’t offer you everything you need to be satisfied, just don’t buy it.

bab

The cardinal rule when it comes to buying any kind of electronic equipment today is to only buy based upon what’s available NOW, never what you hope or even are promised by the manufacturer will be delivered in the future. If a camera as configured today doesn’t offer you everything you need to be satisfied, just don’t buy it.
Agreed Joe today most people’s words mean nothing, even when in print. By the way no camera today or in your dreams will offer you everything you need to be satisfied, if it did you wouldn’t be on this forum.

sog1927

My understanding is that the GFX will not autofocus with any H series lenses, regardless of vintage.
That would not surprise me, but I haven't investigated that - not because of any negative attitude about Fuji (my first real camera was a Fuji rangefinder), but because I just don't use autofocus very much.

sog1927

Thanks for pointing that out. Good to know that the leaf shutter works w XH.

Fotodiox not only does not publish the data, but their tech support gave me incorrect info.

For field work, bellows are too cumbersome, but I do like the look of the Novaflex ones. 😁
My field macro kit has historically involved a 503 series hasselblad, auto bellows, tubes, possibly the microscope shutter + lens mount adapter with a small assortment of Luminars and Photars for high magnification, and the Hasselblad macro flash. The V-series still offers more macro options than any of its "successors". I'd have used this with the X1D if only the XV adapter had been a little more like the V-series adapter for the H cameras.

In case you can't tell, much as I like my X1D I'm really looking forward to the CFV-50c II for some things. ;)

jpaulmoore

Can anyone comment on sensor cleaning with the X1D series cameras? Are the sensor (in general) a dust magnet or does it do well in this regard. I've owned cameras in the past that were nearly impossible to keep clean and to clean, like the Canon 1Ds series. My Sony a7r ll is really easy to clean and not a real dust magnet.
Thanks,
J. Paul

fotophil

So is it worth the upgrade besides the improved EVF?
Do you feel you can now capture the shot that was not previously obtainable with the X1D Mkl.
In some ways this upgrade reminds of an Apple iPhone 6 to a 6s, a little faster, a few noticeable changes yet still basically the same thing.
For me the big difference in the X1D and X1D-II is price. I still feel Hasselblad screwed me on my X1D Purchases!

fotophil

Dust and mirrorless sensors go hand-in-hand. I try to use the air bulb when ever changing lenses. I hold the camera upside down, aim the bulb upwards, give a couple quick squeezes and pray! Not recommended for windy days.

kuau

Workshop Member
For me the big difference in the X1D and X1D-II is price. I still feel Hasselblad screwed me on my X1D Purchases!
I hear you. I waited about a year before purchasing mine and got a good deal on a open box demo...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I’m confused. I can’t find a credible scenario where you are worse off with a lower X1D II price unless you were liquidating all your equipment. It will not depress your v1 resale value by more than the v2 price drop, so upgrading is still less expensive. Does it just feel less exclusive? Would it have been better if the v2 came out at $15,000?

If Leica released the S3 for $5,000, I’d cheer!

Matt

clonardo

For what it’s worth, I’ve had great results with the single-use “full frame” VSGO sensor swabs on a variety of medium format and full frame systems. Weather sealing on the H4D-60 that I had appeared to consist entirely of hopes and dreams, and short of waiting for a Dyson small enough to run through there, the swabs were my best defense against dust lagomorphs. The X1D II, somewhat surprisingly, seems less dusty (so far), and way better sealed in general.

Dust and mirrorless sensors go hand-in-hand. I try to use the air bulb when ever changing lenses. I hold the camera upside down, aim the bulb upwards, give a couple quick squeezes and pray! Not recommended for windy days.

ndwgolf

So is it worth the upgrade besides the improved EVF?
Do you feel you can now capture the shot that was not previously obtainable with the X1D Mkl.
In some ways this upgrade reminds of an Apple iPhone 6 to a 6s, a little faster, a few noticeable changes yet still basically the same thing.
What about a first time buyer............Im actually thinking of getting one rather than a new Leica SL2. I know the SL2 is not MF but I need something to screw my 50mm Noctilux onto (its my faviriout lens period). I had it on my M10 but hopeless for me so sold the M10 and waiting for the SL2............or now maybe the X1D II to go with my H6D100c
Neil

SrMphoto

What about a first time buyer............Im actually thinking of getting one rather than a new Leica SL2. I know the SL2 is not MF but I need something to screw my 50mm Noctilux onto (its my faviriout lens period). I had it on my M10 but hopeless for me so sold the M10 and waiting for the SL2............or now maybe the X1D II to go with my H6D100c
Neil
I would purchase SL2 for the Noctilux, and X1D II just because.

:)