The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ4 150 new bug?

Paul2660

In my experience of these take overs the executive management have to buy in and hopefully do well on the flip side. For high level, but not high enough, folks like me the upside (or loss) isn’t quite so spectacular.

The guys building this code are salary men with maybe some stock but not much.
Starting to wonder if it’s just one guy. As you have pointed out regression testing is just part of firmware development. P1 missed the issue that came out with the frame averaging feature (portrait orientation bug). And many may forget that the back shipped with a portrait orientation bug that took months to fix. Frame averaging brought it right back. Not to mention the whole 16 vs 14 bit output debacle.

No doubt the times have changed a bit at P1.

Starting to feel the issues remaining can’t be fixed and will be fixed with the IQ5150 next year.

Paul C

vjbelle

Starting to feel the issues remaining can’t be fixed and will be fixed with the IQ5150 next year.

Paul C
Next Year???? That's a really short cycle for the 4150 - if true. I would think that if it requires a new DB to fix the remaining issues that Phase would offer a 'really reasonable' upgrade for 4150 owners - as in mid four digits.

Victor

kdphotography

Paul C

A Phase One IQ "5150" would be such a great name. :D

5150 refers to the California law code for the temporary, involuntary psychiatric commitment of individuals who present a danger to themselves or others due to signs of mental illness. It has been more generally applied to people who are considered threateningly unstable or “crazy.” 5150 has become widely acceptable slang. I think this might be a good medium format workshop nickname :rolleyes:

I'm still patiently waiting for Phase to really address their IQ4 flagship. How embarrassing! Otherwise, I'm really happy with the image quality of the IQ4. Not crazy enough to get 5150

:ROTFL:

Paul2660

I just feel they have hit a wall as no other back really lagged this long.

IQ1 USB 3 support took about 1 year. P45+ full 1 hour exposure took about 6 months.

Neither updates to either back had reciplical non regression checking issues. So far the IQ4 has had it on every single firmware update. Just points to either lack of staff or lack of staff focus., or both.

Edit: Point of consideration, Current Live view on IQ4.
From the first day I received my IQ4, I noticed that the 100% view on the IQ4 was nothing similar to the IQ250, 150, 350, 3100. I have at one time used all 4 of these backs. All of them have excellent, what I consider "state of the art" Live view. The image is sharp, has good contrast and it's easy to determine accurate focus at 100% view.
With the IQ4, the 100% view is IMO not anything like previous backs. It lacks contrast, and details, and makes a 100% view more of a guess than knowing for sure the image is in focus. Zoom to 400% to me is worthless in the field, mainly due to the fact you can't see the screen well enough due to glare and other issues. Moving to a HDMI external monitor, also IMO is not much help.
Exposure selections for Live View on the IQ4 have been anything but acceptable, for anyone coming from a IQ1 to IQ3. Exposure simulation, IMO underexposed the image and the Auto feature, works nothing like the 3100, in that the image pulses between over exposed to under exposed for at least 5 to 6 seconds, then seems to settle on a image, which most times seems over exposed to me. Use of the slider, also seems to have no effect, expect to go to either max brightness or totally underexposed.
This is not the way any previous IQ back works, and it's been 12 months, and P1 has really not done anything. If the answer is we did this because of focus peaking, I am not impressed. Focus peaking at 100% is too much, as everything is green, and at 100% attempting to get critical focus in low light is worthless, (as it focus peaking with most cameras), so you need to depend on the 100% view, which used to be the standard the others tried to reach, now, it's much below the curve.

Paul

Last edited:

Christopher

I really hope Paul is wrong, but I would‘t be surprised if a new back would be necessary for WiFi support and stuff. It could be there is a big issue with the current version.

Just to be clear, I hope not, I have no proof and don’t want to be right. However, Phase whole approach to the IQ4 has been horrible and communication none.

They have to realize that even heavily invested people like me have their limits and there are very attractive alternatives out there!

Craig Stocks

Sadly (maybe for me, certainly not for my wife) I've concluded the IQ4 150 is the last Phase One back I'll purchase.

My reasoning:

#1 - The debacle with firmware problems and missing features has caused me to loose faith in Phase One's ability to deliver a superior product. I strongly believe in voting with my wallet and I don't want to continue to reward a company that isn't delivering to my level of expectations.

#2 - Operabilty issues aside, the image quality from the IQ4 150 is superb and it's hard to image needing anything more.

Of course, there's always a chance that Phase One will prove me wrong but at this point they have a lot of negative feelings to overcome.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Sorry. That’s BS - Phase One will fix these issues and then we’ll all be looking back and then wonder what all the fuss was about ... someone obviously forgot to include the orientation flag in certain modes. The actual images look great. Just a UI problem that will be fixed.

I would concede that Phase One rushed their release when it obviously still needs more hardening.

Abstraction

They shouldn't be releasing half baked products and you guys shouldn't be accepting that as par for the course.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
...like Adhoc WiFi is missing. I honestly have my doubts if we will ever see all missing things a a bug free systems. The silence is embarrassing and it says much that even the active dealers are saying less and less.
Based on direct discussion with the product manager: mobile integration is absolutely a priority and will come to the IQ4.

Sounds like they're swinging for the fences with something better than just porting the current [IQ3 + Capture Pilot] solution, and therefore is taking more time. Personally, I would have preferred they do something basic/usable at launch, and THEN swing for the fences. Or alternatively, at least communicate more clearly earlier in the process.

But, at least we know with confidence it will come.

Mexecutioner

Based on direct discussion with the product manager: mobile integration is absolutely a priority and will come to the IQ4.

Sounds like they're swinging for the fences with something better than just porting the current [IQ3 + Capture Pilot] solution, and therefore is taking more time. Personally, I would have preferred they do something basic/usable at launch, and THEN swing for the fences. Or alternatively, at least communicate more clearly earlier in the process.

But, at least we know with confidence it will come.
Perhaps a USB-C to iPad connection with an iOS version (even if somewhat limited) of C1? That would be fantastic. Maybe even an Android version as well this time around? At least that is what I'd hope for.

algrove

A Phase One IQ "5150" would be such a great name. :D

5150 refers to the California law code for the temporary, involuntary psychiatric commitment of individuals who present a danger to themselves or others due to signs of mental illness. It has been more generally applied to people who are considered threateningly unstable or “crazy.” 5150 has become widely acceptable slang. I think this might be a good medium format workshop nickname :rolleyes:

I'm still patiently waiting for Phase to really address their IQ4 flagship. How embarrassing! Otherwise, I'm really happy with the image quality of the IQ4. Not crazy enough to get 5150

:ROTFL:
That is the best post on Phase products I have read in a very long time.:thumbs::thumbs::ROTFL:

They better call the next one 5200 or is that another law on the CA books?.