The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Finally!!! my GFX 100 will be here tomorrow.

Boinger

I have no relationship with Fujifilm, beyond owning a couple of their cameras. But perhaps you can stick with the issue under consideration rather than attacking the messenger

I do, however, have experience with the camera industry, particularly with the Japanese camera industry. Drumming up business through scarcity is not a thing. Other point that seems to be missing from your analysis is the elasticity of the product in economic terms. Over producing cameras in the hopes of having more stock will generate more sales is a really bad idea--it is pretty much a small market with little or no growth, if not contracting. I am sure Fuji took their best guess at demand for what is a luxury good. And there is a lot of risk and expense in camera production.

And that brings us to cash flow. Overproducing a product can hinder cash flow. If you pour so much of your capital into producing too many products that don't sell, that will be a big problem. Your economic analysis seems based on every product being a hit and companies should just have huge product runs. Those are rare in the consumer camera market. Betting on outliers is financially irresponsible. And while the Fuji camera division is small, running at a loss will not insure its future nor the livelihood of its employees.

I am sorry you are frustrated in not being able to get your camera when you wanted it. Personally, I would be happy about the success of Fuji products because that is going to be reinvested in order to grow their offerings and keep the system developing.
Well said.

I completely agree with Sashin, MF market cameras are not something where they would create scarcity to create demand. The simple fact is that they didn't think as many people would order the camera as they did. After announcement I read somewhere that they stated the demand was enormous and expect a 2 month delay between ordering a camera and receiving it.

As stated earlier I ordered June 20th immediately after the x1dii announcement. and received it now so almost a 2 month gap.

ron787

Well said.

I completely agree with Sashin, MF market cameras are not something where they would create scarcity to create demand. The simple fact is that they didn't think as many people would order the camera as they did. After announcement I read somewhere that they stated the demand was enormous and expect a 2 month delay between ordering a camera and receiving it.

As stated earlier I ordered June 20th immediately after the x1dii announcement. and received it now so almost a 2 month gap.
Irrelevant, we're talking about Fuji, not Hasselblad.

ron787

I have no relationship with Fujifilm, beyond owning a couple of their cameras. But perhaps you can stick with the issue under consideration rather than attacking the messenger

I do, however, have experience with the camera industry, particularly with the Japanese camera industry. Drumming up business through scarcity is not a thing. Other point that seems to be missing from your analysis is the elasticity of the product in economic terms. Over producing cameras in the hopes of having more stock will generate more sales is a really bad idea--it is pretty much a small market with little or no growth, if not contracting. I am sure Fuji took their best guess at demand for what is a luxury good. And there is a lot of risk and expense in camera production.

And that brings us to cash flow. Overproducing a product can hinder cash flow. If you pour so much of your capital into producing too many products that don't sell, that will be a big problem. Your economic analysis seems based on every product being a hit and companies should just have huge product runs. Those are rare in the consumer camera market. Betting on outliers is financially irresponsible. And while the Fuji camera division is small, running at a loss will not insure its future nor the livelihood of its employees.

I am sorry you are frustrated in not being able to get your camera when you wanted it. Personally, I would be happy about the success of Fuji products because that is going to be reinvested in order to grow their offerings and keep the system developing.
Hello,
It had not been my intent to ignite a firestorm, and had it not been for your attack on my intellect vis-a-vis your derision of the marketing 101 analogy, I would have ignored it entirely. But to set the record straight, I am not upset about the lack of availability due to a want, or desire. The camera (2 bodies) were destined for a business venture, and had Fuji made it clear, in the form of an official announcement, that, as you've suggested, there would be a 2 month hiatus between order and delivery I would have chosen a different path.

And for the gentleman who has a bone to pick with Walmart, be advised that they have an extremely successful business plan that has garnered them hordes of cash and, after all, in this world, the benchmark for success revolves about money earned.

ron787

As was I.
"As stated earlier I ordered June 20th immediately after the x1dii announcement. and received it now so almost a 2 month gap."
This was the confusing statement, as it appeared that you were referencing the X1dII's arrival.

drevil

Staff member
As I said.... I'm staying away for now.

Victor
What i now realized is that when i shoot from a tripod, with IBIS off, actually OIS off on the gf250mm, i have motion blur in nearly all my images, the blurriness indicates a up and down movement, when i shoot with OIS on and handheld, images are usually sharp.

i just now contacted fuji support and send them some raws to play with, especially since i am leaving for a trip to tibet this saturday, i guess my trusted 50s WILL come with me as well.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
And for the gentleman who has a bone to pick with Walmart, be advised that they have an extremely successful business plan that has garnered them hordes of cash and, after all, in this world, the benchmark for success revolves about money earned.
:OT:

I respectfully disagree. Sure it’s made mountains of cash for the Waltons but it’s also gutted much of the stores and industries in home town USA along the way ... just a different perspective on “success”.

People fret over the loss of US manufacturing industry to China/Vietnam/Mexico but still want everything cheap and available now. It’s completely hypocritical.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/w/walmart-effect.asp

:deadhorse:

Last edited:

drevil

Staff member
Well getting off topic here a little bit, more expensive products wouldnt be such a big issue IF the salaries over the past 20 years wouldnt have stagnated that much, huge problem in europe and especially germany. germany has become a cheap labor country in some way.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
True - I’m a strong advocate of buying goods from artisanal companies when I can vs bulk low cost sellers. But maybe that’s just me ...

Boinger

All super large corporations are the problem imo. You get 3 people that make money and as a ratio the rest get pennies. Doesn't make much sense when the said companies cannot function without their employees yet the pay scales don't match.

drevil

Staff member
lets talk some bug findings, i had an issue since i got my 50s, that i could use my flash only every x shots, the flash would fire, or wouldnt, even when fully charged and ready, i use an old canon ex 580 first generation.

now i found out last night WHY it wont fire at every shot, when the EVF is active it WONT shoot! when the backscreen is active, i will.
anybody else can confirm this?

i already contacted fujifilm support and informed them, hope they will fix this, including some minor translation issues i found in the german language menu.

Boinger

lets talk some bug findings, i had an issue since i got my 50s, that i could use my flash only every x shots, the flash would fire, or wouldnt, even when fully charged and ready, i use an old canon ex 580 first generation.

now i found out last night WHY it wont fire at every shot, when the EVF is active it WONT shoot! when the backscreen is active, i will.

i already contacted fujifilm support and informed them, hope they will fix this, including some minor translation issues i found in the german language menu.
I will test mine and get back to you. I don't have your flash though but have some godox's? Godixi?

drevil

Staff member
last night i made a test with a rented x-t30, the canon flash fires all the time, when viewing through the EVF or not

JaapD

A Canon flash on a Fuji camera and expecting things to work? Both brands have a very different communication protocol.

A Godox flash for Fuji cameras would do the trick. Apart from this, did you apply mechanical shutter and NOT electronic shutter?

Regards,
Jaap

drevil

Staff member
well jaap, it is working, only not while looking through the viewfinder! it works flawlessly on the x-t30

i dont expect it to work perfectly with HSS or whatever, but at least ttl or manual mode.

P. Chong

I am curious why a Canon flash on a Fuji camera won't work, as I am assuming the camera and flash is set to manual exposure and not ETTL (which understandably won't work).

A Canon flash on a Fuji camera and expecting things to work? Both brands have a very different communication protocol.

A Godox flash for Fuji cameras would do the trick. Apart from this, did you apply mechanical shutter and NOT electronic shutter?

Regards,
Jaap

drevil

Staff member
I am curious why a Canon flash on a Fuji camera won't work, as I am assuming the camera and flash is set to manual exposure and not ETTL (which understandably won't work).
As mentioned, it does work, while the evf is inactive

JaapD

i dont expect it to work perfectly with HSS or whatever, but at least ttl or manual mode.
TTL won't work, Canon and Fuji use different communication protocols. No compatibility here, therfore the kind of behaviour as described by the OP. I can't understand how it could work on an X-T30.

Manual mode should work, but only when disabling (i.e. taping off) the communication contacts. Or use the camera's x-contact as interface to the flash.

Regards,
Jaap.

ron787

Re: GFX100 Has finally arrived

Hello,
Following a prolonged waiting period, the GFX100 arrived at my door this morning. I am anxious to charge up the batteries and give it a test run, but today's stormy weather (South Florida) may introduce yet another period of waiting, however, with the camera in hand I am serene, assuming that it works as expected.