The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa 12 Pano Announcement and More News

Steve Hendrix

Alpa today announced a new camera, a pretty interesting one, the Alpa 12 Pano.

For those who mourned the demise of the XY, with its mega movements, it partially absolves that burn, but does so in a more compact package.

There also are now new grips for the Alpa 12 Plus, and a 90º Pentaprism Spirit Level. Also, the XO skeleton for the GFX 100 has become a Kickstarter campaign.

Always nice to see new developments from the Alpa team.

https://captureintegration.com/hot-alpa-news-alpa-12-pano-and-more/

Steve Hendrix/CI

Paul2660

Interesting camera, however with modern pano stitching software, you have to wonder at cost vs real world need.

The 138mm is around 14K, alone. I am sure this Alpa is in the 5K to 7K range.

No wide I know of 23HR, 28HR, 32HR-W, 40HR, 50HR-W can shift more than 15mm, maybe 20mm on the 50HR-W. Once you get to the 70mm and above, your panorama subject matter is a bit limited to distance scenes, and or you are going to spend a huge amount of time shooting for foreground and background due limited DOF and tilt won't help as it will throw off the scene. Out in the western US, the longer lenses would work great due to vast distances between camera and subject.

Also, as you shift the 32 HR-W past 12mm, the amount of retro-focus distortion becomes very noticeable. I realize this seems to be lens dependent.

So the longer lenses in the 70mm and up I guess make sense, but the shot will be very scene dependent.

Still I would wonder how much less time would be involved with a 40HR in portrait orientation, then pan'd across a scene, with or without a nodal point as many times it's not needed. Single frames, due to wonder DOF range the 40mm has.

But I realize to many this will be a wonderful investment.

Also if someone is using either the 3100 or 4150, it's very easy to shoot a scene with a 23mm to 32mm, no movement then crop the scene to a 3:1 pano ratio (the most common), you will still have plenty of MP remaining to have a large print.

Paul C

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If I were still in the Alpa eco-system I’d definitely be tempted by essentially a more compact Max/XY that looks to be the ideal version of what the STC would have been.

With the STC there were many situations where I’d want to horizontal stitch but also needed rise/fall. This addresses that need and looks like it might pack easier than a Max.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Interesting camera, however with modern pano stitching software, you have to wonder at cost vs real world need.

The 138mm is around 14K, alone. I am sure this Alpa is in the 5K to 7K Range.

Paul C
8463 CHF per Alpa, so depending upon rates that’s just over $8500 today.

Paul2660

Graham, are you quoting a price on the 138mm at 8600? Best I have seen on just the lens no mount is 12k.

Just curious

Paul C

Last edited:

f8orbust

An interesting addition to Alpa's line up, but I'm a bit confused as to what lenses this will work with (to its full potential) given the rather narrow throat of the Alpa lens mount.

Is there a table or chart some place showing the degree to which various lenses will work ?

Jim

vjbelle

Paul, in the UK the 138 float aperture only without a mount sells for GBP 7500. It could be that the market hasn't adjusted prices for the recent currency fluctuations. Currently the USD is going strong while the GBP has weakened considerably.
https://www.linhofstudio.com/produc...nly/Rodenstock_HR_Digaron_SW_f6_5_138mm_FLOAT
I'm aware of the price but not how it mounts. If the lens at that price will mount to a copal 0 lens plate then it could be attractive to some. I'm not a candidate as the lens is large and heavy and even at GBP 7500 is still expensive. It is also more than likely designed to be shot wide open with maximum stopping down of one stop which means razor thin DOF at that focal length.

Victor

jotloob

Subscriber Member
An interesting addition to Alpa's line up, but I'm a bit confused as to what lenses this will work with (to its full potential) given the rather narrow throat of the Alpa lens mount.

Is there a table or chart some place showing the degree to which various lenses will work ?

Jim
As per the ALPA home page , the 70mm , 90mm and in future the 138mm lenses are recommended due to their large image circle .

Paul2660

Arca, it's quite a mount, with multiple rings up front and a rear back extension. BTW, my quote included sales tax.

Paul C

dchew

Jim
Jim,
I have a spreadsheet somewhere I will dig up. It’s not as bad as it appears because you can mount the SB adapters on the back of the camera. That makes a big difference and prevents vignetting. I remember it being in the mid-30mm range for the 150mm, and that’s with 34mm of adapter on the back. The 138hr-sw has a 51mm adapter, which should allow even more movement (and it is a shorter focal length).

Regardless of throat dimension, there are only a few digital lenses that have anything close to the required image circle. Lots of film lenses though. Could be a great camera with a film back if someone was interested in scanning and blending frames.

Dave

narikin

8463 CHF per Alpa, so depending upon rates that’s just over $8500 today.
Not sure where you're reading that Graham.

Its CHF 12,165 today on Alpa site. It's about 1:1 for US $, so $12,200 or so.
(I'd suggest you are reading the dealer pricelist, but they don't get that kind of a discount, afaik.)

Linhof Studio unmounted price is GBP7500 = $9200, so you are paying $3000 for the Alpa mount. Ouch.

tcdeveau

Not sure where you're reading that Graham.

Its CHF 12,165 today on Alpa site. It's about 1:1 for US $, so $12,200 or so.
(I'd suggest you are reading the dealer pricelist, but they don't get that kind of a discount, afaik.)

Linhof Studio unmounted price is GBP7500 = $9200, so you are paying $3000 for the Alpa mount. Ouch.
8463 CHF is Alpa's listed price for the Alpa 12 Pano camera body, and that's what I believe Graham was referring to.

You're right about the price of the 138mm Rodie.

f8orbust

I know folks are talking about it in regard to the R/S lenses, but this would be one sweet setup with the S/K 43, 60 and 120 ASPH lenses.

Alpa is listing the Pano at $7644 bare (i.e. no handles etc) so too rich for my blood unfortunately :( ... unless ... now where's that lotto ticket got to ...