The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

Shashin

If this is a new technical camera, is that a big deal? What will it bring to the table that is not already available with existing technical cameras? Are there features that technical camera users have been clamoring for?
So, you are saying having more choice is a bad thing? Actually, a company entering the technical camera market is a "big deal." It very rarely happens.

gerald.d

Argh. Missed all the fun!

If anyone feels so obliged to send me the photos of the camera in DM that would be just fine 😜

Paul2660

Not sure what has been deleted and what everyone has seen, but Phase has this on their YouTube channel right now

https://youtu.be/ADogiRzqAx0
This video started the post. It was also on Instagram

Apparently phase had the more images on their site or at least the images were found on their site with a bit of digging. Basically a updated A series type camera that seems to have more integrated design to the IQ4.

Paul C

algrove

Unclear to me what the curved bulge on the left side of body accomplishes even though two Cambo-like silver control knobs were visible on the top right side of the body. The shutter looked like an E250 type of shutter (assumption) with a bulge on its left side. No connection wire visible so some assumed it was a direct connect via electronic contacts. Rodenstock lens on camera. Last image was a 100% crop of the image shown on the IQ4 back which was taken in the DV Playa.

Initially to me it looked like an Alpa TC with an Alpa looking grip on the right side with a blue shutter release button on top of the grip. Guess with that placement of the shutter button could use my thumb to capture images instead of fire finger.

Now perhaps we can get ad hoc wifi in our IQ4150's since it seems to me new product offerings are more important than giving waiting IQ4 customers what their IQ3100 had in them years ago.

Also perhaps this will mean tech cam users will be able to add lens FL used to the EXIF data currently allowed like f-stop data.

Last edited:

Paul2660

Gave this more thought over the night, and if:

Phase 1 has come up with a solution that allows a use of their existing Schneider BL lenses, (since they all have leaf shutters), along with a specific special mounted Rodenstock lens, I will be impressed. This would require some form of a smart mount that can control the leaf shutter in the lens. However this would give Phase something similar to the idea behind the 907x, the use of existing leaf shutter lenses, in a new and small mount, with movements built in. The big downside would be anyone with existing tech lenses would have to have them sent to Phase 1 to have the mount adapted to this new camera. This along with a wifi adhoc solution with a new version of Capture Pilot that can address the system would be very impressive.

If however this is just a new A series, limited only to a specifically mounted Rodenstock set of lenses, I think it will have a limited range of interest, anything is possible.

Paul C

algrove

Perhaps using BR lenses will be an option, but they seem not only large for this small body, but also even Phase themselves have said that Rodenstock and Schneider tech cam lenses are the best lenses made today.

RLB

That would be a dream come true!!

Victor
For me personally, the Ad Hoc and a few other promised features for the IQ4 purchased in December 2018 would be a "dream come true", not a new camera. The new Tech camera looks cool but I see this as more strongly appealing to those who may be considering getting into their first Tech camera system by making it more user friendly rather than those who have had and used Tech cameras for many years. Certainly the idea of being able to use both BR and view lenses on one camera body is intriguing to avoid doubling up for different systems. I can attest to the fact that BR 35mm is an amazing lens and while not quite as good (in my opinion) as the 32 HR-SW, its not far off from my initial testing, of course that's only one lens / focal length. When I compare my 120mm SK ASP that is Arca mounted to a BR 120mm, the SK while not auto focus, it is 1/8 the size and weight, my point being I'm not sure that there is still "one series" of LS lenses that would cover the range optimally at all focal lengths and give one all of the advantages for size, weight, shifting and sharpness.

Robert

onasj

I don’t think the XT will be compatible with Phase SK BR lenses, based on the somewhat unique mount. Perhaps with adapters but not sure if aperture control would be possible.

tcdeveau

Unclear to me what the curved bulge on the left side of body accomplishes even though two Cambo-like silver control knobs were visible on the top right side.
My interpretation of the curved bulge on the left side is to allow for rotation of the body and back without changing the position of the lens/light entry path, with the silver lever on the front of the dovetailed base serving as a rotational lock. Thinking similar functionality to the Cambo WRS 1600, but curved instead of orthogonal, allowing for degrees of rotation between strictly horizontal and vertical orientation.

Looking forward to reading more about it when it's released, especially what they have going on with the lenses.

vjbelle

Robert..... I know how frustrating it must be for anyone who can benefit from a mobile solution but I have a lot of confidence in Doug and if he says its on the way then I'm sure it is. For any early adopter it's a long wait but better late than never.

Cannot agree with you more regarding the Schneider 120 ASPH. I was lucky to get one.... a beauty of a lens.

Victor

Very interested to see this thing if anyone wants to PM me photos. There’s a gap in my current lineup with the 4150. If it is something like the Alpa FPS or an EVF reliant body with a tiny footprint and handheld usability... count me in

BFD

Gave this more thought over the night, and if:

Phase 1 has come up with a solution that allows a use of their existing Schneider BL lenses, (since they all have leaf shutters), along with a specific special mounted Rodenstock lens, I will be impressed. This would require some form of a smart mount that can control the leaf shutter in the lens. However this would give Phase something similar to the idea behind the 907x, the use of existing leaf shutter lenses, in a new and small mount, with movements built in. The big downside would be anyone with existing tech lenses would have to have them sent to Phase 1 to have the mount adapted to this new camera. This along with a wifi adhoc solution with a new version of Capture Pilot that can address the system would be very impressive.

If however this is just a new A series, limited only to a specifically mounted Rodenstock set of lenses, I think it will have a limited range of interest, anything is possible.

Paul C
I think the only thing you would be able to use of yours would be your existing IQ back (possibly just the IQ4). This system clearly will require XT lenses as the electronic shutter will have to be run by the body which will probably have lens pin connectors to interface (like on your XF).

RLB

I don’t think the XT will be compatible with Phase SK BR lenses, based on the somewhat unique mount. Perhaps with adapters but not sure if aperture control would be possible.
Without compatibility with BR lenses I see the XT as another excuse to spend $$$$ while making a lateral move in functionality. Would I like Exif data with my Arca? Sure but its not a deal maker. For those who are already entrenched in both worlds of XF and Tech being able to have mostly one set of lenses rather than two, could be considered "reasonable enticement". Don't see why the BR won't work, even if an adaptor is required with pins...not rocket science since most manufacturer's have had 1.4 /2x convertors forever that do this.

R

I think this looks exciting. I'm hoping they are going to do a Sony A7 for MFD - kind of like an Alpa FPS crossed with a Cambo WRS1600 - that takes almost any lens, including my Rodenstocks on a Cambo mount. Might be asking too much for that last one but I can dream. If it takes Phase/Mamiya AF mount lenses, that would be really interesting. I sold my DF+ as that system plus the Cambo was just too heavy to lug around.

Electronic shutter for the Cambo would be a godsend as doing panoramas and constantly recocking the shutter then having shots fail makes for a lot of work. I'd also like to see built-in shift so that whatever lens you put on it, you've got that function - sometimes I just want to lower the horizon on a panorama. Whatever it's got, I'm steeled for it to be a wallet-buster.

Don Libby

Mirrorless medium format to me brings up images of the X1D and GFX, both small and lightweight. However neither offers "full frame".The closest I came to shooting full frame mirrorless was using a combination of a Cambo, Phase One back, and a Schneider lens. Not small nor lightweight by any means unless you compare it to the weight of the XF.

It looks like the new "Phase One mirrorless" about to be offered is the same as what has already been offered to those shooting a technical camera. No matter what you spin on it, it still is much larger both in size and weight than the X1D and GFX. The only difference is the sensor size on the back.

I would have been much more excited if Phase One had offered a mirrorless much like the GFX; then I'd be standing in line...Don