The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

onasj

I certainly hope you are correct—I have a set of SK BR lenses I would love to use on an XT, with autofocus and aperture intact. I just suspect based on what we've seen from Phase One that the T in XT really stands for tech camera, not hybrid XF+tech. But I really hope I'm wrong!

Without compatibility with BR lenses I see the XT as another excuse to spend $$$$ while making a lateral move in functionality. Would I like Exif data with my Arca? Sure but its not a deal maker. For those who are already entrenched in both worlds of XF and Tech being able to have mostly one set of lenses rather than two, could be considered "reasonable enticement". Don't see why the BR won't work, even if an adaptor is required with pins...not rocket science since most manufacturer's have had 1.4 /2x convertors forever that do this.

R

algrove

Why did someone delete the countdown clock since now I cannot remember when this guessing game will be over?

Any help.

Mexecutioner

Why did someone delete the countdown clock since now I cannot remember when this guessing game will be over?

Any help.
Dunno, I had posted the original Instagram post and official P1 countdown page link and they got "Admin edited".

Christopher

I hope it will use all kind of lenses, but I fear from the images it’s a tech camera only and here Phase One would need to have 1000 good reasons to ditch any Alpa/cambo/Arca Swiss camera.

A camera taking both technical and XF lenses would be super interesting for me.

MrSmith

What’s so good about a dumb (no features of the xf body*) body that takes blue ring lenses? Or am I missing something? Surely if you have the back and lenses you have the body?

*for tech cam type tripod shooting the seismic shizzle must be a useful feature?

Paul2660

I for one would love to be able to leave the XF at home, it's huge, heavy, very limited IMO (I realize others love it), has outdated AF and IMO a terrible Viewfinder display, compared to standard Nikon or Canon, DSLR not a mirrorless Nikon.

The glass is excellent, I tend to manually focus all my shots in the field as I don't prefer the AF on the XF, and attempting to use some of the in camera tools, just have not worked well for me.

My point, is that all the lenses have a leaf shutter, and all that would be needed would be a mount that can communicate the shutter, forget the AF, (to thing that Phase has found a way to use AF on the lenses, and see it on the camera LCD, is a bit beyond my level of belief). There would still need to be something in the form of a spacer since all the lenses need to account for the mirror box design.

What it appears to be is a updates A series, with a dedicated Rodenstock mount, and possibly the Rodenstock e shutter in front to allow photographers to use either the Rodenstock shutter or the back's e shutter. That alone will be impressive, but will have limited appeal as this camera going to compete with many users with tech cameras already and none of those lenses besides maybe Cambo mounts will work. Cost to switch anyone's guess, but odds are not cheap. Blue shutter button, is a bit of copy from the Hasselblad X1D, but no problem copying a great idea.

That's my point of the ability to use the Schneider's as that makes the consideration of switch more amenable to me as I have a full fleet of their lenses.

It's clear however to me now why the fixes for the the Sept 2018 announced and first shipped in December 2018 IQ4 has been so long in getting fixed. There are still plenty of issues present that were not ever at all is issue with previous Phase CMOS backs.

Paul C

Christopher

What would be great is to carry a setup like the 43mm Schneider and 70 Rodenstock and a 150 or 240 lens at the same time with one body!

It would need to have full electronic connections. Well we will see soon enough.

richardman

Yea, we don't want to get a legit site like GetDPI in trouble with leaks. OTOH, "internet knows all" so you know what you need to do.

Competition is always a good thing, however, how much is this adding to competition, or perhaps driving smaller players into extinction? Time will tell...

Phase V

BR-lenses on a tech-cam doesn´t make that much sense because the iC is too small for shifting.

Alpa tried for years to get the protocol and make an adapter but they failed
because Phase One is too greedy to give this out of hand.

As my dealer told me, at the beginning of the year, that Cambo is working on
something my bet is:

- It is made by Cambo, which is good.
- It is nothing more than a compact and integrated version of their e-shutter
- control that would need every Rodenstock lens to be adapted, which is bad.
- It will almost double the price of every tech-lens, which is worst.

Maybe they realized that they can not compare with Fuji, that the XF will be
a dead end and that they need some sort of habitat for their backs to survive.

f8orbust

Dunno, I had posted the original Instagram post and official P1 countdown page link and they got "Admin edited".
I think there's been some overzealous admin on this. The info wasn't made public because of a leak, but was put into the public domain as a result of incompetence on P1's part. That's a huge difference. As such, I don't agree with the censorship that's resulted. The fact that P1 and their dealers advertise here has nothing to do with it of course.

onasj

As I posted to this forum before, you CAN use SK BR (or other Phase XF lenses) on an Alpa tech camera by using Alpa's Mamiya lens adapter and 28 mm of total spacers (e.g., 17+11 mm spacers). The aperture is left as whatever it was when you last unmounted the lens from the XF (or wide open if you shut down the XF before demounting the lens, if I recall correctly), but it works great and the 80/2.8 SK BR lens in particular fills a nice tech cam niche for general photography with a wide aperture.

BR-lenses on a tech-cam doesn´t make that much sense because the iC is too small for shifting.

Alpa tried for years to get the protocol and make an adapter but they failed
because Phase One is too greedy to give this out of hand.

As my dealer told me, at the beginning of the year, that Cambo is working on
something my bet is:

- It is made by Cambo, which is good.
- It is nothing more than a compact and integrated version of their e-shutter
- control that would need every Rodenstock lens to be adapted, which is bad.
- It will almost double the price of every tech-lens, which is worst.

Maybe they realized that they can not compare with Fuji, that the XF will be
a dead end and that they need some sort of habitat for their backs to survive.

gerald.d

As I posted to this forum before, you CAN use SK BR (or other Phase XF lenses) on an Alpa tech camera by using Alpa's Mamiya lens adapter and 28 mm of total spacers (e.g., 17+11 mm spacers). The aperture is left as whatever it was when you last unmounted the lens from the XF (or wide open if you shut down the XF before demounting the lens, if I recall correctly), but it works great and the 80/2.8 SK BR lens in particular fills a nice tech cam niche for general photography with a wide aperture.
Or use the manual Mamiya 1.9/85 :)

algrove

What would be great is to carry a setup like the 43mm Schneider and 70 Rodenstock and a 150 or 240 lens at the same time with one body!

It would need to have full electronic connections. Well we will see soon enough.
Today with one body (TC=10oz or STC+handle=29oz) we can carry a 40/4.0 (31oz), 70/5.6 (24oz), 90/4.5 (15oz=300 grams), 150/5.6 (25oz) and 210/6.8 (33oz) with say an Alpa mount on each lens which weigh cumulatively (Alpa TC=130oz) much less than nearly equivalent all Phase system (214oz excluding the 45 and 150/2.8) is about 65% more weight than the Alpa system with (XF+prism=50oz) BR PO lenses of 35/3.5 (54oz) or 45/3.5 (44oz), 80/2.8 (18oz),150/3.5 (31oz) or 150/2.8 (59oz) and 240/4.5(61oz). It was these weights for the BR lenses that convinced me of the need for a lighter system capable of using my Phase backs. Some might debate the quality differences between BR lenses and tech cam lenses, but to me the tech cam lenses are better while being lighter overall.

This new Phase XT should weigh in the range of the Alpa STC body, but still using only tech cam lenses will be lighter than a combination of tech cam and BR lenses with the associated benefit of better quality of tech cam lenses. ES has changed the game for me with my tech cam. If one does not need AF, then tech cams are the answer IMHO.

My tired back thanks me also when initially my STC+40+70+150 weighed in at around 10 lbs or less than 5 kilos.

Christopher

If I want to save weight I carry a GFX with the 32-64 and 100-200 and I’m way more flexible....

Why would you carry the heavy 40 if you can use the much lighter 43...

I honestly see no sense in an XT with only tech lenses. My Arca is probably lighter and much better to focus. For me the only interesting aspect would a an “open mount” for tech and XF lenses.

Today with one body (TC=10oz or STC+handle=29oz) we can carry a 40/4.0 (31oz), 70/5.6 (24oz), 90/4.5 (15oz=300 grams), 150/5.6 (25oz) and 210/6.8 (33oz) with say an Alpa mount on each lens which weigh cumulatively (Alpa TC=130oz) much less than nearly equivalent all Phase system (214oz excluding the 45 and 150/2.8) is about 65% more weight than the Alpa system with (XF+prism=50oz) BR PO lenses of 35/3.5 (54oz) or 45/3.5 (44oz), 80/2.8 (18oz),150/3.5 (31oz) or 150/2.8 (59oz) and 240/4.5(61oz). It was these weights for the BR lenses that convinced me of the need for a lighter system capable of using my Phase backs. Some might debate the quality differences between BR lenses and tech cam lenses, but to me the tech cam lenses are better while being lighter overall.

This new Phase XT should weigh in the range of the Alpa STC body, but still using only tech cam lenses will be lighter than a combination of tech cam and BR lenses with the associated benefit of better quality of tech cam lenses. ES has changed the game for me with my tech cam. If one does not need AF, then tech cams are the answer IMHO.

My tired back thanks me also when initially my STC+40+70+150 weighed in at around 10 lbs or less than 5 kilos.

algrove

If you really want to save weight use an iPhone.

I thought the subject of this thread was about the new Phase mirrorless XT.

So sticking with the subject of this thread, I also own GFX gear but that is not the main discussion point here-it is Phase. Let’s not muddy the water.

As for the 40 it is the “workhorse” lens for those who have it in their kit and many use it 90% of the time in SB mount. The 43 is a LB mount if I recall with Alpa so no tilt. In addition the 40 and 70 have similar characteristics and pair well together.

Last edited:

Christopher

That might be an Alpa thing. I have both (40 and 43) and both have tilt on my Arcas. Besides the topic is still the XT and for me I don’t see much sense in that product if it’s not more flexible... perhaps Phase can surprise us, but I think the market for a simple tech camera with limited electronic connection is rather limited. Or at least it wouldn’t be a reason for me to spent thousands of EUR just to change from a great system to another unproven tech system.