Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 127

Thread: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

  1. #1
    Member Mexecutioner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like

    Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Seems like the announcement is a few days away. At least the teaser leads one to believe it is.




    I am excited to see hat they have in store.
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 5th September 2019 at 13:51.

  2. #2
    Member BFD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Admin edit
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 5th September 2019 at 13:52.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Perhaps a mirrorless body that can use tech camera lenses, not unlike a Alpa 12 FPS or something

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    2,372
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    If it's a mirrorless XF, then all new lenses will be needed. And or an adapter to the current lenses as Nikon/Sony/Canon did. Still the current lineup is massive in weight. consider the 40-80 at 4lbs alone.

    I can't see P1 making their own tech camera, they have in the past paired with Alpa for previous mirrorless solutions (like the one with the Alpa camera and 23mm rodie).

    Could also be the 5150, which fixes all the issues that can't seem to be resolved after over 1 year on the 4150, due to foot print and size of back etc.

    Hopefully whatever it is, has been tested a bit more professionally than the current 4150 product.

    Paul C
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    STL Missouri
    Posts
    158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    If it's a mirrorless XF, then all new lenses will be needed. And or an adapter to the current lenses as Nikon/Sony/Canon did. Still the current lineup is massive in weight. consider the 40-80 at 4lbs alone.

    I can't see P1 making their own tech camera, they have in the past paired with Alpa for previous mirrorless solutions (like the one with the Alpa camera and 23mm rodie).

    Could also be the 5150, which fixes all the issues that can't seem to be resolved after over 1 year on the 4150, due to foot print and size of back etc.

    Hopefully whatever it is, has been tested a bit more professionally than the current 4150 product.

    Paul C


    I re-rendered the video, opened the shadows, and set resolve definition to 24,000%. Looks like a mirrorless XF body (but I was really wishing for a FW update for our IQ4).


    Robert

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    I would love a mirrorless XF body... the shutter sound at the end of the instagram video and the blue shutter button together are consistent with a mirrorless body (no audible slap). The #150MP hashtag implies compatibility with IQ backs. In my dreams the new mount offers some IBIS capability.

    The image in the teaser is shot from the new body's side (right grip), with what I think is the Phase One logo visible after some enhancement. The white bar on the left edge is a wrist/neck strap attachment bar. See the image below. The grip looks to me to be substantially smaller than that of the XF in proportion to the rest of the body.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 1.01.11 PM.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	359.6 KB 
ID:	143899
    Last edited by onasj; 5th September 2019 at 09:08.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    STL Missouri
    Posts
    158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by onasj View Post
    I would love a mirrorless XF body... the shutter sound at the end of the instagram video and the blue shutter button together are consistent with a mirrorless body (no audible slap). The 150MP hashtag implies compatibility with IQ backs. In my dreams the new mount offers some IBIS capability.

    The image in the teaser is shot from the new body's side (right grip), with what I think is the Phase One logo visible after some enhancement. The white bar on the left edge is a wrist/neck strap attachment bar. See the image below. The grip looks to me to be substantially smaller than that of the XF in proportion to the rest of the body.

    Attachment 143898

    IQ4 Firmware update first please....

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    2,372
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by onasj View Post
    I would love a mirrorless XF body... the shutter sound at the end of the instagram video and the blue shutter button together are consistent with a mirrorless body (no audible slap). The 150MP hashtag implies compatibility with IQ backs. In my dreams the new mount offers some IBIS capability.

    The image in the teaser is shot from the new body's side (right grip), with what I think is the Phase One logo visible after some enhancement. The white bar on the left edge is a wrist/neck strap attachment bar. See the image below. The grip looks to me to be substantially smaller than that of the XF in proportion to the rest of the body.

    Attachment 143898
    Good luck with IBIS, it would be another first for P1. It's really a moot point for me, as odds are the price point will be well beyond reality based on other MF mirrorless offerings. The X1D II, albeit 50MP is a hard line in the sand. To their credit Hasselblad has fixed many of the issues they had with first round and came in 2.5K under their opening pricing of the X1D. P1 has never had any stabilization in any lenses either.

    Thats a fully integrated camera with chip with both Hasselblad and Fuji.

    Will P1 bring out a mirrorless that works with the IQ4/3/2 1? or will it be an integrated back/camera solution like Hasselblad and Fuji. And or will it be a rebadged Fuji?

    XF list is around 6K? last time I checked.

    Competition is always good.

    Paul C

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by RLB View Post
    Looks like a mirrorless XF body
    BFD: "The lens in the Instagram video was a technical Rodenstock lens"

    Since Rodenstock apparently has exhausted their stock of Copal shutters while electronic shutter has becoming more useful, maybe something like Hasselblad’s 907X camera body offering an interface between their digital backs and LF style lenses.

    But something like this probably would be in cooperation with Alpa.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    STL Missouri
    Posts
    158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    BFD: "The lens in the Instagram video was a technical Rodenstock lens"

    Since Rodenstock apparently has exhausted their stock of Copal shutters, could be something like Hasselblad’s 907X camera body!


    IQ4 Firmware update first please...

    (just in case P1 is trolling us)


    R

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by RLB View Post
    IQ4 Firmware update first please...
    And substantial price drop, especially if no new firmware!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Perhaps a Phase One tech cam with shutter button (to trigger ES or... in-body FPS?) and compatibility with Rodi lenses (hopefully Alpa mount

    Maybe with a motor on the lens mount to move the lenses perpendicular to the sensor for autofocus?

    For what it's worth, the Rodi lens shown is a magenta-band lens (see enhanced image below).

    It's fun to dream.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 1.04.51 PM.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	259.2 KB 
ID:	143900

  13. #13
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,939
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    *Twiddling thumbs*
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    If the shutter sound at the end of the teaser video is indeed the new body's shutter, then it must have its own FPS, because Rodi's tech lenses don't have leaf shutters (I think), and the sound in the video sounds nothing like a Copal shutter (plus Copals aren't being made any more).

    Also, there is unexpected mass and reflections where the lens mount would be... hopefully for the motor that autofocuses the tech cam lenses

    So mirrorless tech cam body with built-in FPS, plus shutter button, Phase One logo, smaller grip on the right, compatible with Rodenstock tech lenses... anything else we can deduce?

  15. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Admin edit
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 5th September 2019 at 13:53.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    We know Phase has collaborated with Alpa in the past to create the A series camera/lens combos. Has Phase collaborated with other tech cam manufacturers in the past?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    2,372
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Big brother to this. The A series with a FPS added. Rodenstock lens in preview implies just an upgrade to A series.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8E991A63-D672-48C3-A680-4AF25C4CAA2E.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	143903

    Paul C

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by onasj View Post
    For what it's worth, the Rodi lens shown is a magenta-band lens
    Magenta-band Rodi's are listed to have 70mm coverage, only very limited shift possible on P1's current sensors (53.7x40.4mm, 67mm diameter).

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    West Yorkshire,United Kingdom
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by RLB View Post
    IQ4 Firmware update first please...

    (just in case P1 is trolling us)


    R
    Phase One got hold of your money,that is ,I think more important.

  20. #20
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Name:  A3E5067F-2583-4451-BCCF-B2E0160928AE.jpeg
Views: 1034
Size:  106.2 KBName:  5457BDE1-9979-4087-8154-135E688AF626.jpeg
Views: 1029
Size:  59.1 KB
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    If I found out through their site what it is already, with full images and details, should I post it here or let it be a surprise?

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by buildbot View Post
    If I found out through their site what it is already, with full images and details, should I post it here or let it be a surprise?
    Is it something that would surprise us?

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    It's pretty much what everyone is guessing, it's called the XT.

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,907
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by buildbot View Post
    It's pretty much what everyone is guessing, it's called the XT.
    What's the T for? I would have thought XM for mirrorless.

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    What's the T for? I would have thought XM for mirrorless.
    Technical I'm guessing?
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  26. #26
    Member Mexecutioner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    *Twiddling thumbs*
    You're enjoying this huh?

  27. #27
    Member Mexecutioner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Admin edit
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 5th September 2019 at 13:54.

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    369
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by buildbot View Post
    If I found out through their site what it is already, with full images and details, should I post it here or let it be a surprise?
    Lets see the page!

  29. #29
    Member Mexecutioner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Admin edit
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 5th September 2019 at 13:08.

  30. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
    Looks pretty cool, good timing too as I was about to inquire about a 12TC.
    Yeah, It looks amazing. I wonder if they'll sell different mount adapters for 645 lenses and tech lenses.

    I just picked up a Mercury 3D printed camera for use with my IQ3 + ES shutter and 645 lenses, which is basically a poor mans version of this.

  31. #31
    Senior Member Pemihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,573
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Admin delete. This is not supposed to be public

    I'm being asked to remove . Hopefully I'm removing the correct images. I'm on the beach on vacation. LOL
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 5th September 2019 at 13:03.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    2,372
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    With what looks like a Rodenstock e shutter on the Lens, or something similar. Those retail in the 3K range, per lens per mount. Very limited in shutter speeds and usability outside of a studio.

    That would give you a copal like shutter option and the e shutter like the A series used.

    Very nice looking but possibly a bit limited as was the A series, both due to cost and function.

    Paul C

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Same thought, looks like a combo platform. Will see what’s happening. Wouldn’t automatic LCCs be great.
    Christopher Hauser
    http://www.chauser.eu

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    What’s the betting on it (the shutter body module, no lens or back) costing about the same as the competitors 100mp body?
    They are just tools for a job.

  35. #35
    Member Mexecutioner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Admin edit
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 5th September 2019 at 13:58.

  36. #36
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,907
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Same thought, looks like a combo platform. Will see what’s happening. Wouldn’t automatic LCCs be great.
    The Netherlands and Denmark are close neighbors. Too bad if Alpa is shut out of this.

  37. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
    Maybe next time the Phase One website developer will remember to hide the page and learn how to use use IP filtering to keep the public out.
    But then, the Phase One website didn't make much of a difference since, based on the instagram photograph, we already figured it out.

  38. #38
    Member Mexecutioner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    But then, the Phase One website didn't make much of a difference since, based on the instagram photograph, we already figured it out.
    True, some pretty good detective work going on here

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Big brother to this. The A series with a FPS added. Rodenstock lens in preview implies just an upgrade to A series.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8E991A63-D672-48C3-A680-4AF25C4CAA2E.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	143903

    Paul C
    What is the name of the gizmo that the iPhone is connected to? Thanks.

  40. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    My guess based on the leaked images is that it's still using the electronic shutter in the digiback. The housing around the lens seems too small for an electronic leaf shutter, controller, battery, as well as the shutter release linkage and aperture. Definitely not an FPS.

    Curves on the bottom/left side of the body looks like a means to rotate between landscape/portrait orientation without removing the back.

  41. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by cerett View Post
    What is the name of the gizmo that the iPhone is connected to? Thanks.
    Smart Device Holder mk III

    https://www.alpa.ch/en/site/smart-device-holder-mk-iii
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  42. #42
    Member BFD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    My guess based on the leaked images is that it's still using the electronic shutter in the digiback. The housing around the lens seems too small for an electronic leaf shutter, controller, battery, as well as the shutter release linkage and aperture. Definitely not an FPS.

    Curves on the bottom/left side of the body looks like a means to rotate between landscape/portrait orientation without removing the back.
    The video definitely had the sound of a mechanical leaf shutter so I don't think it's relying on the electronic shutter in the IQ back. So my guess it's the new e shutters that come with the Rodenstock lenses (looking at one on B&H and it looks about the same size as the leaked picture).

  43. #43
    Member BFD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by buildbot View Post
    So it's basically a WRS with lenses that use e shutters. Definitely partnered or made by Cambo as you can see many familiar parts even functional aspects even though it's probably a rendering. What is troubling is the rise/fall knob is so close to the back that's going to be really hard to turn that one. Especially in the cold with gloves. If that's a final product, I would say it's another classic Phase One not testing something before putting it to use. Other than that it looks like a nice and neat little package. I wonder, who owns Cambo? Did the company that just bought Phase also own Cambo? Sometimes those investment groups own like a dozen like minded companies.

  44. #44
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    700
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by tcdeveau View Post

    Indeed it is thus.

    As you saw from Todd's post, it is an Alpa Smart Device Holder, meant to hold smartphones. It will hold up to the current iPhone models.

    We have several in our pre-owned tech camera list, if you're interested (70% off!):

    https://captureintegration.com/lowes...nical-cameras/


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: • Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Sinar •
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar •

  45. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    The video definitely had the sound of a mechanical leaf shutter so I don't think it's relying on the electronic shutter in the IQ back. So my guess it's the new e shutters that come with the Rodenstock lenses (looking at one on B&H and it looks about the same size as the leaked picture).
    That would be cool - I didn't listen to the video earlier. I wonder if it could be self-contained or require an external controller?

  46. #46
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Admin delete. Guy
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  47. #47
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Phase One developed quite capable leaf shutters (up to 1/2500s) for their aerial camera lenses. Some of these are also Rodenstocks.
    https://industrial.phaseone.com/Lenses.aspx

  48. #48
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Hey folks there has been a leak of images from Phase One that should not have been public yet. I think I got them all but do not post them Please. I'm on vacation and your making me work. LOL

    Be well
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That would be cool - I didn't listen to the video earlier. I wonder if it could be self-contained or require an external controller?
    That's the open question - are they using stock e-shutters that will need a cable to the body for control, or actually have a new mount with contacts for the e-shutter (WOW if so!).

    I doubt they would require something like an external control module like the Rollei shutters have.

  50. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One mirrorless announcement next week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Hey folks there has been a leak of images from Phase One that should not have been public yet. I think I got them all but do not post them Please. I'm on vacation and your making me work. LOL

    Be well
    Sorry about that Guy, I won't post them anywhere else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •