The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H&Y Filter System with a Technical Camera

dchew

I've been using the H&Y system for the last several months. I had not heard of it before reading Tim Parkin's very thorough review of filter systems at OnLandscape (paid content).

The real reason this system interested me was the opportunity to create a LCC card and dark frame that attached magnetically. Technical camera lenses are now supplied without Copal shutters, so there is no way to close the lens for a dark frame. That is not much of an issue when you are shooting without filters; just add the lens cap and shoot the dark frame. Add a filter, especially a carefully positioned GND, and it really becomes a problem. You have to remove the filter holder, cover the lens, tell the back to go ahead and take its dark frame, then finally re-attached the filter holder for subsequent photos.

Same difficulty is associated with shooting an LCC.

There are a few characteristics associated with the H&Y system that make it the best solution I know of for this problem:
  1. The magnetic filter frames attach to the outside holder in a light-tight way
  2. You don’t have to slide them in and out; they just attach magnetically to the front face of the holder
  3. H&Y sells empty magnetic frames. They are meant to hold 100x100 or 100x150mm filters you already own, but you can fill them with any 2mm thick material.

So, after sourcing some 2mm black ABS and finding an extra LCC card I went to work. 2mm thick Black ABS can be found at Amazon in seconds, so cutting a 100x150mm piece was quick work with a utility knife and straight edge. The std 100x100mm LCC cards are more like 2.5mm thick, so I had to mill down the edges slightly to fit, although you can cram the un-milled, raw LCC card in the frame if necessary.
In the field, dark frames are just as fast, if not a little faster than putting on a lens cap for dark frames. I tested for light leaks and found none even @ 60 seconds / f/4.5 / 100 ISO in mid-day sun. I did find some faint light leaks on the pinch lens cap I’ve been using for a few years...

You don't even have to remove the GND to take the dark frame. The ABS-filled magnetic frame attaches to the face of the applied GND with no noticeable light leaks. Of course for the LCC you do still have to remove the GND, which you want to do for a LCC regardless.

John Ngai and I worked on a similar solution for his Wine Country vaults. He can comment on its application with that system.

Here is a short review of the H&Y system if anyone is interested:
HYFilter.pdf

Dave

Last edited:

kdphotography

I like the concept. I use the magnetic filters to swap on my full spectrum GFX. Now I see possibilities on the tech cam....

Am I correct that when using several filters in the H&Y filter system---the profile is or should be smaller (thinner) than a filter system such as the Wine Country Holder?

The filter holder itself looks smaller than the Wine Country holder as well.....

:rolleyes:

Hate you. Hate Dante.

:ROTFL:

dchew

Am I correct that when using several filters in the H&Y filter system---the profile is or should be smaller (thinner) than a filter system such as the Wine Country Holder?

The filter holder itself looks smaller than the Wine Country holder as well
I think that is correct, Ken. I’ve never used the WC filters. When you stack either 100x100 or 100x150 filters with this system, they just stick together with no separation. Each filter is about 2.5mm thick.

I’ll measure the drop-in ND/CPL filter slot tonight.

The holder is definitely smaller that the Wine Country.

Dave

dchew

Ken,
Filter holder is 7/16" (11mm) thick from end of lens threads to front face where the GND filters attach magnetically flush. That includes the filter adapter ring and the space where the drop-in ND/CPL goes.
4-7/8" (124mm) at the widest part
4-3/8" (111mm) tall

Each GND filter is ~1/8" (3mm) thick

One note about this system that I mentioned in the linked pdf: I do not use 100x100 square ND filters, so do not know how well those work. I use the drop-in ND/CPL filters that come with this system, along with the 100x150 GND filters. They really are a dream to use in the field.

Dave

jng

Dave was kind enough to send me an LCC and dark card trimmed down to fit the Wine Country Camera filter vaults.

IMG_9947.jpg

I did some testing this afternoon in the bright afternoon light (sunny 16 conditions).

IMG_0376.jpg

This is what I observed:

5 sec exposure @ f/4 - L values = ~0 throughout the image frame.

30 sec exposure @ f/4 - L values = 0.2~1

60 sec exposure @ f/4 - L values = 0.6~3

Draping a black lens cloth over the top seemed to help but there was still a smidgen of light coming through at the lower corners, which I attribute to the little clamps at 4 and 8 o'clock that hold the circular polarizer and show small gaps.

IMG_0797.jpg

I normally use Breakthrough ND filters, which have gaskets affixed to the back side that I'm guessing prevent any light intrusion, so I don't think these results should be extrapolated to the light-tightness of ND filters.

My bottom line: I'd be comfortable using the dark card except when doing extended exposures in bright light. However there *could* be an issue with light intrusion when pushing long exposures under daylight conditions. There may also be a little fumbling if all three filter slots are filled (I find the vaults in adjacent slots interfere with each other's movement). And of course I forgot to do the critical control experiment of testing how well a slip-on lens cap performs :facesmack:. In any case, both the dark card and LCC will remain in my filter kit - thanks, Dave!

John

P.S. When Dave first told me about the H&Y setup, I was all ready to ditch my WCC for the much sleeker H&Y system, but for some reason I talked myself out of it. Now after doing today's little test, I'm back on the fence. Damn you, Dante! :banghead:

Last edited:

darr

Thank you Dave for your thorough user experience review.

The LCC addition is attractive to me. I have an older LEE system with the wide angle shade and GRDs, but have been using seven5 ND filters lately since my most used lenses are SK's with 40.5 and 52 threads, and want to save space in my camera bag. I have been casually looking at what else is out there and thank you for linking to OnLandscape for reviews as I am a longtime subscriber.

Some of what I see looks too bulky for my needs. I am staying with my ALPAs + SK lenses for the long run since I love my system and want to find a filter system that is not so bulky. I find the LEE wide angle shade with filter system too big anymore, so reading your review and watching a few of Tim's videos have got my interest in the H&Y System. :thumbup:

Kind regards,
Darr

dchew

...I have an older LEE system with the wide angle shade and GRDs, but have been using seven5 ND filters lately since my most used lenses are SK's with 40.5 and 52 threads, and want to save space in my camera bag...
Hi Darr,
You and I both have gravitated to Sk's. I don't think anything beats the seven5 system for size. I too had the old Lee system w/hood. I am not happy with any lens shade solution out there. The Lee hood is probably the most popular, but I find it too cumbersome. I've settled for manual flagging with the removable ICU lid.

Dave

kdphotography

Dave and John (fellow enablers in Purgatory)

Thank you for your efforts and review on the H&Y filter holder system. I like personal user reports and reviews, which are probably more reliable and trustworthy coming from a known GetDPI member and Pig alum. ;) Efforts like these should be published articles on the GetDPI landing page!

I'm leaning towards purchasing the H&Y system, probably just a limited kit at first as a "travel filter system" and see if it is worthwhile to replace my Wine Country Filter system. I may just keep both.

I really like the compactness that this system provides over the Wine Country.

Not exactly inexpensive----but I see the H&Y filter system as a justifiable consolation purchase since I'm not buying the Phase XT. :rolleyes::ROTFL:

Ken

jng

Arrgggghhhh. Ken you are about to cost me a lot of $$. Again. (but you can share the blame with Dave) :banghead:

dchew

Not exactly inexpensive----
Ken
No they aren’t. The holder does come with a lot of stuff, including the CPL. That’s actually a bit of a problem I don’t like: I don’t know of a way to buy just a holder without a CPL. I’d buy a spare holder as backup to store at home, but not for another $230.

Also, they have an interesting approach to the lighter ND filters, only offering them with CPL built-in. Makes sense with their system and I cannot think of a disadvantage. Still, curious.

Dave

kdphotography

Amazon Prime has the H&Y for $185.

That's a nice savings over the $229 price at B&H.

John, think of that savings as getting a *free* magnetic frame with the difference. ;)

I need to get a 100 x 100 LCC to fit a frame now. No need for the black ABS, but maybe later if I acquire a new lens.

Ken

Don Libby

I was set to pick this up until I saw that I couldn't get a 62mm ring and there's no way I'd use a step up. Once the 62 is offered I'll be all over this...

jng

Amazon Prime has the H&Y for $185.

That's a nice savings over the $229 price at B&H.

John, think of that savings as getting a *free* magnetic frame with the difference. ;)

I need to get a 100 x 100 LCC to fit a frame now. No need for the black ABS, but maybe later if I acquire a new lens.

Ken
Ken,

You're really not helping me here... :banghead:

John

dchew

I was set to pick this up until I saw that I couldn't get a 62mm ring and there's no way I'd use a step up. Once the 62 is offered I'll be all over this...
I know they make them, but the only place I've seen the whole list is on the UK distributor's site:

https://handyfilters.com/product/adapter-rings-all-sizes-k-series-100mm-holder/

H&Y's site needs some work:
http://hy-filters.com

And they don't show the same range of rings. I reached out to the UK distributor to see what the deal is.

Dave

dchew

Don,

Tom, from the UK distributor handyfilters.com, confirmed all the rings on their site are available. He may be sending me a discount code for this thread; if he does, I will post it up. I have no connection with handyfilters.com or H&Y. I am only a customer.

Dave

kdphotography

Don,

Tom, from the UK distributor handyfilters.com, confirmed all the rings on their site are available. He may be sending me a discount code for this thread; if he does, I will post it up. I have no connection with handyfilters.com or H&Y. I am only a customer.

Dave
You're not just a customer. You're an enabler.

;)