The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H&Y Filter System with a Technical Camera

dchew

From Tom @ handyfilters.com:

Hi Dave

The discount code I have created for you is: GETDPI

It will give a 15% discount on the handyfilters.com website. The coupon will be active for two weeks (until the 29th September).
For anyone purchasing from outside of the EU, VAT (20%) will be refunded once the items have been dispatched with our courier.​

kdphotography

Thanks for reaching out to H&Y, Dave.

It looks like the listed prices include VAT. Gonna have to dig out the calculator to figure out the approximate pricing after VAT refund and 15% GetDPI discount and add shipping estim.

:thumbup:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Mild word of warning: getting a filter into the empty magnetic frames can be VERY hard. I had to throw out my first attempt and clean a lot of glue off the filter.

I am not much of a filter user, but this being Dante's abode, I have three sets. (Otherwise, how can you know which is best?).

Wine Country is fine, but large and heavy, OTOH, it's the only one that will fit on my Leica S24.

Firecrest Ultra are great, light, and compact, but you're stuck with your polarizer yes/no decision unless you bring a few carriers with you. Filter changing is still hard for me, so I leave a 10x and a grad permanently mounted (I don't go out a lot in dim light).

H&Y are easiest in the field, the drop in circular filters are great, as you can add or remove a polarizer without disassembly. Waiting on a drop-in 10 stop to limit the need for stacked filters in front. Stacked magnetic frames were not light-tight in a 2-minute, 10 stop + 6 stop direct sunlight exposure. Not something I'm likely to do other than as a test. If I regularly need 16 stops, I'll get a 16 stop filter.

Just some random observations from someone with almost no knowledge or experience, so you should probably ignore everything I just said.

:chug:

Matt

dchew

Mild word of warning: getting a filter into the empty magnetic frames can be VERY hard. I had to throw out my first attempt and clean a lot of glue off the filter.
Stacked magnetic frames were not light-tight in a 2-minute, 10 stop + 6 stop direct sunlight exposure. Not something I'm likely to do other than as a test. If I regularly need 16 stops, I'll get a 16 stop filter.

Matt
These are great points. In the review, I discussed how difficult empty frames are to assemble. I had to trim some areas to get things together for my LCC and black frame sheets.

As mentioned above, I have not used the 100x100 ND filters, nor do I intend to. If someone wants/needs square NDs, I don't think this system is the right choice.

Dave

Don Libby

As mentioned above, I have not used the 100x100 ND filters, nor do I intend to. If someone wants/needs square NDs, I don't think this system is the right choice.Dave
Thanks for the heads up as you just saved me money!

dchew

Thanks for the heads up as you just saved me money!
I should describe this in a bit more detail. In my opinion, this system is really set up for the round ND filters, polarizers and the 100x150 GNDs. The drop-in ND/CPL design is a great feature that doesn't apply to 100x100 NDs. The top and bottom edges of the 100x100 ND frame sit right at the edge of the filter holder. I put a black ABS sheet into a 100x100 holder, and although I did not see light leaks, the seal does not look all that robust and you have to position the 100x100 filter correctly in the vertical position. Not difficult, just takes some care. In comparison, the round drop-in ND filters are a breeze. As Matt mentioned, I don't think stacking square ND filters is reliably light tight.

It's not that the square NDs don't work fine by themselves, I just think the round ones work better in this system. None of this applies to the traditional 100x150 GNDs; those are great to use in the field.

Dave

Last edited:

MGrayson

I should describe this in a bit more detail. In my opinion, this system is really set up for the round ND filters, polarizers and the 100x150 GNDs. The drop-in ND/CPL design is a great feature that doesn't apply to 100x100 NDs. The top and bottom edges of the 100x100 ND frame sits right at the edge of the filter holder. I put a black ABS sheet into a 100x100 holder, and although I did not see light leaks, the seal does not look all that robust and you have to position the 100x100 filter correctly in the vertical position. Not difficult, just takes some care. In comparison, the round drop-in ND filters are a breeze. As Matt mentioned, I don't think stacking square ND filters is reliably light tight.

It's not that the square NDs don't work fine by themselves, I just think the round ones work better in this system. None of this applies to the traditional 100x150 GNDs; those are great to use in the field.

Dave
Dave,

Thank you, BTW, for your clear and informative review. I shoot wide a lot, and don't like the polarizer/sky interaction. If H&Y had non-polarizing drop-ins at less than 10 stops, I'd be thrilled.

Matt

MGrayson

Actually, here’s a question which, if no one has an answer, I’ll explore.

Suppose I have a polarizing filter buried deep in my filter setup and I want to shoot an image with a wide blue sky. Is there an angle I can set the filter so as to eliminate or greatly reduce the sky darkening band?

Best,

Matt

drunkenspyder

Actually, here’s a question which, if no one has an answer, I’ll explore.

Suppose I have a polarizing filter buried deep in my filter setup and I want to shoot an image with a wide blue sky. Is there an angle I can set the filter so as to eliminate or greatly reduce the sky darkening band?

Best,

Matt
I'd love to find that angle, too. I spent an afternoon in Canyonlands testing every orientation I could with a 40 on the Cambo [not ultra-wide, but wide enough to present the problem], and I could never eliminate the polarizer banding. I was using a WCC 150 system that day. The sky was cloudless, so I was not without remedy in Photoshop, but it wasn't my preferred outcome.

dchew

Here is a lighthearted video of the "hands-free" black frame and LCC process.
:watch:

kdphotography

It took me awhile----but I finally decided to get the H&Y system.

I've ordered a Fuji XT3 as a small portable travel camera and the Wine Country System is just woefully mismatched here. I almost got the Lee Seven5 system, as I love the size and portability, but it appears there may be slight vignetting on some Fuji X wide angle lenses.

Fingers-crossed that working with the empty H&Y filter frames doesn't give me problems.

ken

dchew

Fingers-crossed that working with the empty H&Y filter frames doesn't give me problems.

ken
I had a few choice words when trying to get the frames onto my black and white plastic. Here's hoping I just had a bad batch. I had to trim down the back of the male end from every piece.

Dave

Don Libby

You can count me in as well after listening to the siren call of the H&Y

Ken and I have spent countless hours on the phone and texting back and forth regarding the H&Y. Should we or shouldn't we. I broke first ordering a simple empty 100 square to test just how hard it'd be to put a filter in corectly. Still don't know as I won't get it until tommorrow (thanks Amazon).

I removed the wooden handles from the Wine Country making it somewhat smaller however I ended up buying a Fuji 8-16 for my XT-3 and I had to look for a suitable filter kit. The H&Y seems to fit the bill without the need of any superglue (please don't ask :ROTFL:).

I've watched the videos and listened to Dante and decided to answer the siren call of the H&Y. The FH-100 should be here shortly then I can test out the H&Y on our upcoming trip to Death Valley. I think I'll be joining Dante there as I test the H&Y on the Fuji system.

MGrayson

I had a few choice words when trying to get the frames onto my black and white plastic. Here's hoping I just had a bad batch. I had to trim down the back of the male end from every piece.

Dave
I did not manage to get a single empty frame to work. I did manage to get glue on some filters from other manufacturers. :angry::banghead:

Matt

dchew

If you look at the top/bottom pieces, the part that is supposed to insert into the side rails doesn't fit. The top part in this image is what I trim off:

It still has to be wrestled in there even after trimming, but at least I had half a chance getting it in there. I have no idea how it is supposed to fit with that bump on there.
:loco:

Dave

Don Libby

...and the short videos I have watched make it look so easy :bugeyes:I hope this works out...
Agree, watched 2 different videos on how to and both seem simple enough. I'm still waiting for Amazon to deliver today. I'll share my findings just as soon as I can. Fingers crossed....

jng

Ken, Don:

If you rub butter on the filter first, this will prevent the glue from sticking to the glass. :ROTFL:

Happy new year!

John

Don Libby

Ken, Don:If you rub butter on the filter first, this will prevent the glue from sticking to the glass. :ROTFL:Happy new year!John
Thanks for the tip John; I can just hear Sandy when I tell her I need to small amount of butter...