The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H&Y Filter System with a Technical Camera

jng

Don,

Just don't mention "butter" and "Ken" in the same sentence, and you'll be fine.

Good luck with the new filter setup!

John

Don Libby

I just finished placing a filter into a 100x100. I had the choice between a Lee 6-stop and Singh-Ray LB Color Enhancer test fitting both and decided on the Singh Ray. I'll be ordering more empty holders later and will add more filters then.

Thought I'd do a little show and tell...

Attachments

Don Libby

While they included a plastic toothpick I opted on using a pair of tweezers to help in pulling off the tape.

The top and bottom have little plastic nubs at the ends with a channel running in-between for the filter. The nubs snap into the top and bottom of the sides. Or at least they're supposed to. I ran into an issue with the little nubs not being totaling cleaned at the end and had to trim off the excess in order to make them fit.

Attachments

Don Libby

All in all not too difficult once I figured it was the over sized nubs causing the issue. Not certain if this will happen the next time however I'll be on the watch just in case.

I have a selection of Lee and Singh Ray filters that I normally use with the Whine Country and found that from the sampling of them they all fit nicely.

Just be aware that you may have to trim the connecting nubs a bit to make them snap in place. I also found I had not need for butter other than the baked potato :ROTFL:

Attachments

dchew

Those nubs are what my little drawing was referring to. Glad you got it together.

Looks good!

Dave

kdphotography

The package is nice and included just about everything I needed.
Kinda perplexing and makes you scratch your head :loco:

Such nice packaging, yet the "finish" is still rough, requiring the end-user to trim the edge of the nubs to fit.

Too bad the empty frames aren't in "two pieces" so you simply slide in a filter and cap off the frame with the top. With four pieces to assemble there's more to put together, and more chance for error.

But I am glad it doesn't look too difficult to remedy.

ken

Don Libby

Just finished an order from Amazon and got the last 100x100 in stock from H&Y. Not certain how far I'll go with this as my current thinking is using it on the XT-3 trying to keep the kit as small as possible. We have a couple days in Death Valley coming up before heading into Las Vegas for Shot Show and how to get a better handle on using this filter kit. I haven't gotten the other pieces yet for the 8-16 but so far I'm impressed.

dchew

One debate is whether to keep the adapter rings mounted to lenses. Lee Filters had those cheap plastic white covers to do just that. With this system, doing something like that has the advantage of no more screwing things on and off; completely eliminates ever having to do that. But, it makes the lens bigger, could risk some torque / alignment issues and means you have to figure out a way to cover the lens.

I've kept the adapter/step-up rings mounted to the sk90. It is a pretty small lens, so the risk of getting things misaligned is pretty remote. I'm always going to use it with at least the "dark slide" (no shutter), let alone CPL / ND / GNDs. I found the Sensei lens caps work with without without any trimming.

Dave

Don Libby

While this part of the dicussion may not be medium format I now plan on using the H&Y system on my GFX100.

I picked up a Fuji XT3 as a walk around system. I'me also using this as a travel camera system when I don't feel like lugging a larger one. I'm currently using a XF16-80, 100-400 and just picked up a 8-16 lenses. I don't forsee any need of a filter on the 100-400 however the 16-80 and 8-16 I will. The drawback to the 8-16 is that there is no filter ring. The solution is using the H&Y system purpose built for the lens. This is the first time I've found any filter system that has been as well thought out as the H&Y.

A comparison of the sleeves of the H&Y and Wine Country

This gives you an idea of the size between the H&Y and Wine Country (note I removed the wood handles to reduce the size)

Here's a couple images of the H&Y holder attached to the 8-16 lens

Many thanks to Dave & company for bringing this to my attention. I've got the regular system on order and will be using that on the GFX.

I experimented using this setup on the 8-18 at 8mm and had no issues with vignetting

drunkenspyder

I have a complete H&Y filter kit sitting on my desk, with a number of additional frames. One thing that puzzles me is the apparent inability to order additional adapter rings so I can have each lens set up to use the system. I do this with my Formatt-HiTech rigs, placing an adapter ring on each lens, so all I have to do is move the filter around. The adapters tend to make it difficult or impossible to use OEM lens caps, such as with the Hassy lenses, but a Lens Coat or other stretchy hood solves that problem.

I asked about this on Amazon, and I received no sensible replies other than: "All the adapters you need are supplied with the holder kit." Well, that's simply not true. Yes, 4 adapters are supplied, but that's not all I need. Other holder manufacturers and their retailers sell additional adapter rings. It's part of making a system an actual system. I wrote the home office, but have heard nothing back. I have also asked B+H to pass the request along.

Step-up rings are not the answer, because then you are still unscrewing a thin threaded ring from one lens and putting it on another. Maybe I am missing something obvious here. Would love to hear how others address this issue.

kdphotography

There are additional adapter rings available, but you need to go to the UK website, https://handyfilters.com/ . They are pretty responsive to questions/requests. It appears that other vendors/suppliers are harder to communicate with, and my guess is the language barrier and that the actual manufacturer is probably deep within China or similar location.

Other adapter rings of various sizes are available at https://handyfilters.com/ starting from 49mm and up.

I've asked about the possibility of getting smaller adapter rings, noting that with the Fuji x series primes, the some of the lenses have filter threads as tiny 43mm and 46mm. Some technical camera lenses have small filter threads as well. https://handyfilters.com/ responded within the day and said they would forward my question to the manufacturer. Outside of step-up rings, maybe someone here is talented with a 3-D printer?

I expect my H&Y kit to be delivered shortly. I think I may have a solution to using standard lens caps and using the H&Y adapter rings, but need to get the H&Y system in hand first. :)

Ken

drunkenspyder

I ordered extra rings through that UK distributor site:
https://handyfilters.com/product/adapter-rings-all-sizes-k-series-100mm-holder/

What size do you need? I'm building up extras here because the only size I use is either 67 or 72mm. I have an extra 72, 77 and 82mm if that helps.

Dave
Hey Dave, that's amazingly helpful; thank you. I am in need of both another 72 & 77. If someone else doesn't speak for your 82, I would take that as well. Please PM me with terms; thanks! Odd that everyone from Amazon to B+H seems unaware of this. I did see that the UK site offers an 86mm; that's my real missing gap.

Last edited:

Don Libby

I was lacking a 62mm for my GF45 and had to order directly from H&Y. My full kit should arrive tomorrow. It doesn't look like I'll need the 77...

drunkenspyder

I was lacking a 62mm for my GF45 and had to order directly from H&Y. My full kit should arrive tomorrow. It doesn't look like I'll need the 77...
Between Dave's generosity and a supplemental order with the UK distributor, I believe I am set. So, my only real reservation about the system seems to have been addressed. Thanks for the quick and helpful GetDPI spirit; Happy New Year All!

kdphotography

I received two empty H&Y frames and am happy to report that I did not have the issues that were previously reported here. Maybe quality control has improved? Regardless, the empty frames are an area that could definitely stand for some additional design improvements. Perhaps if the frames were pre-assembled, leaving only one side open to insert the filter, and small jewelers screws to fasten the the frame closed?

I have more empty frames coming, so fingers-crossed that these will be as easy to assemble as the first set.

BTW, Pyrex 7202 one cup lids are perfect to protect the H&Y adapter rings. See, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079HC4P7H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Other colors and quantities are available. Don't forget to use the GetDPI Amazon link on the side margin to access Amazon.

Ken