The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In case you were wondering about IQ4 Zero Latency or Ad Hoc

BFD

Since there has only been speculation for the past year about the missing Zero Latency and Ad Hoc (to run Capture Pilot via iPad only), I asked Phase One directly. Below is the email I received. Some of it is restated existing literature and some of it is somewhat candid. Reading it, it sounds like Zero Latency is not going to ever be on the IQ4—get used to what you have (two shot cable or IQ4 electronic shutter) or step up to the XT tomorrow. Capture Pilot seems like it will be back at some point.

phaseone.jpg

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Or as stated by me before...

"Based on direct discussion with the product manager: mobile integration is absolutely a priority and will come to the IQ4.

Sounds like they're swinging for the fences with something better than just porting the current [IQ3 + Capture Pilot] solution, and therefore is taking more time. Personally, I would have preferred they do something basic/usable at launch, and THEN swing for the fences. Or alternatively, at least communicate more clearly earlier in the process.

But, at least we know with confidence it will come."

Aviv1887

Doug, how do you read Phase their comment on zero latency? Will it not come to the IQ4150 or in some other form? They do say "our goal is to offer the same functionality of zero latency". I've been waiting with an aching heart to have this step back from the IQ3 resolved.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug, how do you read Phase their comment on zero latency? Will it not come to the IQ4150 or in some other form? They do say "our goal is to offer the same functionality of zero latency". I've been waiting with an aching heart to have this step back from the IQ3 resolved.
That conversation needs to wait until tomorrow.

onasj

Phase One’s response is unusually detailed, clear, and helpful for planning purposes and expectation setting. We (justifiably) critique Phase for not sharing enough information at times, so here I offer kudos for helping us understand what to expect and why.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
That’s the type of response I wish all camera/tech product managers would share. Informative, clear and also explaining the rationale behind the decisions being made as the camera/backs evolve.

:thumbs:

Last edited:

bab

That’s the type of response I wish all camera/tech product managers would share. Informative, clear and also explaining the rationale behind the decisions being made as the camera/backs evolve.

:thumbs:
It’s just so much easier to tell the whole truth, a real big plus for today’s companies.

drunkenspyder

Much appreciate this thread. We now know some of what was being referred to [the XT], but for me personally, this was doubly helpful in another way. I am a Mac guy through and through, but I know PCs. And were it not for this thread, I would have remained blissfully forgetful that I own a Surface [for some automobile diagnostic work], and that it might be a smarter thing to lug around with me when I try to travel lightly. The fact that it might offer more options when shooting the Phase is a real bonus. So, thank you.

Paul2660

In the email, Phase points to the Surface Pro platform as a superior solution to the iPad, and they mention wifi tethering. Wifi tethering would not work in the field, without adhoc, as I understand it. Net they are working on something, now that the XT is out. And it might be a more robust version of Capture Pilot anyones guess. To fall back to having to carry around a full sized surface pro IMO is not a good solution, and tethering to one, albeit a way to get to see the images is still not an ideal solution for field work. Screen's are not bright enough, and the battery life of a current Surface 5 to 6 is not anywhere near to last a full day. The last two editions of the iPad will easily work with 4K video and do a darn good job, so Phase should be able to see a way to get a Capture Pilot solution for the iPad. OR figure out a way to allow for HDMI image review to a 1000 to 2000 nit small external display. That's something any other camera I know of that has HDMI support (Canon, Nikon Fuji, et all) can do. And do easily. Sure you still have to control movement around the external screen with the camera controls (at least with Nikon and Fuji), but being able to get off the very limited in outdoor use P1 LCD would be a huge benefit for me.

Paul C