The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XT: The First Modern Field Camera (and X-Shutter and new firmware)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
- Is the shift amount recorded?
Arguments into the 24mm range (+/- 12mm in any direction) here: http://phaseonext.com/the-xt-24mm-of-movement-possibilities/

Shift is encoded into metadata for automatic

is the shift with the 23 „centerfold“ free? I expect it is and that’s why it’s limited to 12mm.
Our downloadable XT Raw files include a 23mm image shifted 5mm which is beyond the stated image circle. I noticed no centerfold.

- why on earth does phase one still cling to this utterly dump warranty system? On one side you claim super reliable system and on the other hand your warranty states something completely different story.... 1year... just laughable.
Warranty is 1 year if purchased separately, 5 years if purchased as a kit.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Where can I find info on the new firmware? Doesn't seem to be anything on P1 website.

Dave
Will have to chat with DK. Possible it wasn't posted this morning as expected; as you can imagine, a lot of things happening simultaneously here and there :).

Paul Spinnler

Considerations:

+ Lens selection: cannot understand why 90HR is missing and the new 138 or the 40mm
+ Stitching: I want to be able to stitch. Would be great if P1 relased an XT XL or at least announce one, with shift capability in all directions of up to 20mm
+ Alpa compatibility: I don't know how Alpa messed up the relationship with P1, but I would like to use XT lenses with my alpa max and not cambo
>> Can I use them with Alpa somehow?
+ Price: The deal killer: I am willing to pay, but pricing is absurdly high, would appreciate very generous bundles and trade in offers

Overall impressed, but also mixed feelings as stitching, missing 90HR and price remain significant concerns. And no, don't want to buy a second cambo body. Have an Alpa max.

Paul Spinnler

Considerations:

+ Lens selection: cannot understand why 90HR is missing and the new 138 or the 40mm
+ Stitching: I want to be able to stitch. Would be great if P1 relased an XT XL or at least announce one, with shift capability in all directions of up to 20mm
+ Alpa compatibility: I don't know how Alpa messed up the relationship with P1, but I would like to use XT lenses with my alpa max and not cambo
>> Can I use them with Alpa somehow?
+ Price: The deal killer: I am willing to pay, but pricing is absurdly high, would appreciate very generous bundles and trade in offers

Overall impressed, but also mixed feelings as stitching, missing 90HR and price remain significant concerns. And no, don't want to buy a second cambo body. Have an Alpa max.
And at this price point warranty should be 3y standalone, 5y as bundle. 1y / 5y is clearly holding customer hostage to drive sales.

stngoldberg

I haven’t been able to understand the ability of this camera to auto focus.
Would someone address the AF issue?
Stanley

Paul2660

What about the longer lenses, 90mm HRSW, 180mm HR or older Schneider’s, 120mm. All need a back extension on Cambo or Arca.

Will the XT accommodate the longer glass? Will it have a back extension?

No tilt or swing, surprised me greatly, I use tilt in most of my wides, and it can make a big difference.

Love the new shutter, but cost of each lens mount in the 4.5K range seems excessive, but I guess there is market there always is.

Ability to maybe use the Schneider’s is an interesting point, but again no tilt or swing.

How ironic, now there is exposure bracketing, but with frame averaging, when it can be used (no wind), one shot will often work.

Paul C

Paul2660

If you use the Cambo WRS lens panels, for tilt and swing, won’t you lose the XT X shutter? Or can that be used in combination?

Paul C

Paul2660

Also a bit sad to see a marketing ploy with the 24mm used for shift. By default that implies 24mm in any direction as that is the standard for any current camera on the market. Note Arca listed 15mm for theirs Cambo 20mm for theirs. Not 40mm and 30mm.

Just come on out and say 12mm max in any direction. And give your legitimate reasons to limit this to 12mm.

Paul C

dj may

Do I understand correctly, comparing the XT to WRS that the tradeoffs are:
1. Greater shift with WRS
2. Tilt with WRS, no tilt with XT
3. Integrated shutter with XT, manual shutter with WRS
4. XT records shift position

My perspective: 4x5 view camera user, Leica S user.

Regards,
Jesse

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
And at this price point warranty should be 3y standalone, 5y as bundle. 1y / 5y is clearly holding customer hostage to drive sales.
Agreed! Speak with your dealer; they should have creative solutions for you here. At least we (DT) do.

Notably the XT itself is a metal plate with a shutter release and two encoders; while anything can break, I do not expect a lot of warranty repairs on the body. And on the lens side the XT shutter has been tested to around 1 million captures so even if you're using the time lapse feature I suspect lens/shutter warranty repairs will be very infrequent.

Paul Spinnler

Wonder how Alpa reacts, as this European alliance clearly is full-on targeted commercial assault at the previous partner:

Alpa options:
+ Best approach: send chocolate to Copenhagen and form an "alliance" with access to the XT universe, thereby effectively giving up XT lens mount margins
>> Relegating Alpa to body manufacturer
+ Bit more combative: Offer physical + electromechanical "bridge" form XT to Alpa bodies as alternative to the Cambo P1 XT body
>> Not sure how this works in terms of flange distances, millimeters, etc. but the precision engineers at Seitz should be able to reverse engineer a solution to mount XT lenses in an aperture only fashion or even reverse engineer the cambo electromagnetical contacts and related protocol
>> Announce via press release intention to provide "bridge" now to mitigate sales of Cambo equipment, upholding "tradition" of system agnostic positioning
+ War declaration: Sit down with Hassy to offer similar interconnected system, announce soon
+ Swiss approach: Do nothing and see what happens, quietly announce cambo adapter or so
+ Low ball strategy: Offer "discounts" - highly unlikely, a first to use the price lever for the former no1 player

How will Alpa react?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Also a bit sad to see a marketing ploy with the 24mm used for shift. By default that implies 24mm in any direction as that is the standard for any current camera on the market. Note Arca listed 15mm for theirs Cambo 20mm for theirs. Not 40mm and 30mm.

Just come on out and say 12mm max in any direction. And give your legitimate reasons to limit this to 12mm.

Paul C
No marketing ploy intended. Arca, Cambo, and Alpa have all, in various publications, used either unidirectional or bidirectional range.

If you see a place you find our write up misleading or confusion please post here or email me and I'll very gladly correct it.

We cover the XT movement, where it's limiting, and where it's not limiting, here: http://phaseonext.com/the-xt-24mm-of-movement-possibilities/

Paul Spinnler

Just because I am not sure it is mentioned - LCC is gone, correct? So I setup the 32mm, shift a bit around, shoot, the raw file has no color cast and LCC is applied directly? In camera or via capture one? Does the profiling also contain falloff? Can I shift 5mm up and 3mm to the side at the same time with capture one having a profile for all combinations of shifts in both directions per lens??

If so this would be a significant advantage to Alpa.

Paul2660

We can agree to disagree.

I am very familiar with Cambo and Arca and both clearly state 20mm or 15mm total shift.

Never have seen either refer to 30mm of shift (Arca RM3DI) it Cambo WRS1600 20mm of shift.

Paul C

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We can agree to disagree.
I mean, the first line of the relevant article is "The Phase One XT provides 12mm of movement in any direction*, for a total range of 24mm of rise/fall and 24mm of shift left/right. "

But again, if you find a place where it's not immediately clear what movement is provided please link to it or email me a link and I'll update to make sure it's clear.

Paul Spinnler

My understanding, based on discussions and photographs posted, that the backside-illuminated sensor used in the IQ4 does not (generally) require LCC compensation. This is a general characteristic/advantage of a BSI sensor.
My understanding is it is still required, but a lot less dramatic with the new sensor to the point that even Schneider wide-angles such as the 43 can be used again.

On XT my understanding is that it is now solved via software and tech cam communicating the shift positions.

But not sure this is the case? Besides the shutter this would be a significant differentiator.