The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XT: The First Modern Field Camera (and X-Shutter and new firmware)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Generally I prefer to link to the price as people tend to reference these threads for a long time and the price may change during that time. https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/product/phase-one-xt/. Also note that pricing can vary by region in ways that are not a direct currency conversion of the below.

However, we're still updating that page so in the interest of direct answers to direct questions:
$5,990 - XT Body
$8,990 - XT 70 HR
$11,990 - XT 32 HR
$11,990 - XT 23 HR

Or $10k to add an XT and XT 32HR to an IQ4 150mp purchase.

Keep in mind when comparing prices to similar cameras the XT includes:
- Dovetail mount (integrated and rotates horizontal to vertical)
- Mount for digital back (no separate adapter plate required)
- Shutter release
- All cables (in that no cables are required)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Can existing lenses be adapted?
Remounting into a native XT lens with X-Shutter will come mid-2020.

If you can't wait until then (and don't want to purchase a native XT lens outright):
- DT will offer some trade-in value for other lens mounts, toward a native XT lens
- You could remount into a Cambo WRS mount (we can assist with that, as a Cambo dealer) since the XT accepts any WRS mount lens

The XT only provides its full integration when using a native XT lens (since the electronic brains are actually in the X-Shutter, not the XT body itself). We're glad to help you make a decision between those two options.

Animated GIF from our Animated Tour of the Phase One XT article showing various lenses on the XT.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
IQ4 only? thats rather disappointing :(
Agreed. I would have loved to have seen full compatibility with the IQ3 or even earlier.

However:
- The XT itself has no shutter or aperture dial; that is handled by the IQ4 interface, and adding a new interface to the IQ3 platform (introduced 2015) is probably tough.
- The X-shutter is powered by the IQ4 via the additional pins that were added on the IQ4.

Christopher

wow a HR70 for nearly 9k which retails mounted to Arca Swiss for 3800EUR including 19%taxes. I know it’s easy to get an additional 5% on that so that leaves me at 3600EUR.

So fact is it’s 3900 vs 9000 -> Phase One wants 5000US for the shutter!

No further comments... for now.

Paul2660

After reading through impressive. Can’t find anything on tilt swing?

Do native XT lenses come with the ability to tilt and swing with a similar mount that Cambo uses?

Paul C

Christopher

Another thing how on earth can you leave out lenses like the 40/90 and 138?

I get the last one. It might nearly cost 20k in XT mount. :facesmack:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
O don’t think there is any tilt option at all.
Arca Swiss builds their tilt in, which is unique for tech/field cameras. We love Arca bodies and suspect we will still sell quite a few.

For the XT tilt is available via:
- Cambo WRS TS panels
- Canon TS lenses via Cambo adapter

It's possible P1 can come with a TS solution for X-Shutter Rodenstock lenses. If you think this should be a priority make your voice heard on the XT Lens Prioritization survey.

Another thing how on earth can you leave out lenses like the 40/90 and 138?
Other Rodenstock lenses will come. The only question is priority of release, since it includes extensive calibration mapping for the automatic lens corrections and metadata integration. Take the survey below to suggest the next priority.

Christopher

- Is the shift amount recorded?

- is the shift with the 23 „centerfold“ free? I expect it is and that’s why it’s limited to 12mm.

- why on earth does phase one still cling to this utterly dump warranty system? On one side you claim super reliable system and on the other hand your warranty states something completely different story.... 1year... just laughable.

dchew

Where can I find info on the new firmware? Doesn't seem to be anything on P1 website.

Dave