The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XT: The First Modern Field Camera (and X-Shutter and new firmware)

tcdeveau

So why are you showing the gfx100 with a canon ts24 + a cambo adapter ? The GF23 would be shorter...
Possibly because you can't shift with the 23mm GF, and they are going for similar functionality? Just guessing...

Curious to hear about the LCC situation. My understanding with the IQ4 is that LCC's may not be as necessary any more but they still can be useful. Shift-encoded metadata and capture one inside the IQ4 should be able to accomplish this, no?

Paul2660

Can anyone confirm if a new firmware was releases for the IQ4 and if so what new features or fixes are?

Phase ones site is still showing feature update 4 from 2017 sept.

Paul C

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So why are you showing the gfx100 with a canon ts24 + a cambo adapter ? The GF23 would be shorter...
All such comparisons are fraught. But your wish is my command :).

XT is still smaller on all three dimensions and weight. Shorter, Svelter, Shallower, Lighter.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Can anyone confirm if a new firmware was releases for the IQ4 and if so what new features or fixes are?

Phase ones site is still showing feature update 4 from 2017 sept.

Paul C
You can read about the new firmware here:
https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/new-iq-firmware/

NOTE: As of 10am ET September 10, 2019 the new firmware has not yet been posted. We are waiting to hear if it was officially delayed or is still forthcoming immediately.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
My understanding is it is still required, but a lot less dramatic with the new sensor to the point that even Schneider wide-angles such as the 43 can be used again.

On XT my understanding is that it is now solved via software and tech cam communicating the shift positions.

But not sure this is the case? Besides the shutter this would be a significant differentiator.
Today: The XT encodes the movement in metadata and C1 suggests the closest matching LCC from your library of presets.

Future: I fully expect the LCC to just be handled automagically in the same way the dark frame is handled automatically on the IQ4.

Always: The amount of color cast, even without LCC, is darn low on the IQ4 sensor, to the point of being irrelevant for many lens/movement/user combinations.

Paul Spinnler

Today: The XT encodes the movement in metadata and C1 suggests the closest matching LCC from your library of presets.

Future: I fully expect the LCC to just be handled automagically in the same way the dark frame is handled automatically on the IQ4.

Always: The amount of color cast, even without LCC, is darn low on the IQ4 sensor, to the point of being irrelevant for many lens/movement/user combinations.
Thank you that's helpful

TheDude

I also really dig the integrated rotating dovetail since I shoot vertically so often[/IMG]
And being able to rotate the sensor to any angle (compared to just being able to change the orientation of the sensor between vertical and horizontal) when shifts are used, allows an image selection that otherwise could not be selected.

P.S. Just noted that direction of shifts are NOT independent from angle of rotation.

dchew

Exposure Changes via Hard Button (All Camera Bodies)
In previous firmware, it was inconvenient to change exposure from inside Live View on a tech camera. Now you can make those changes using the silver hard buttons, without leaving Live View. Use the bottom left button to select shutter speed, aperture, or ISO, and the top right and bottom right buttons to increase or decrease that value. (If you’re so inclined, you can also tap directly on the attribute you want to change. It’s an incredibly simple user interface, and one that we think tech camera users will love.

That's hilarious! And, of course, I think brilliant. :rolleyes:

Here is text from a case I submitted several weeks ago:

Feature Request for Technical Camera Users:
When in LV-sim mode, there is no way to adjust exposure without exiting out and changing it in the control screen. It appears when in LV the right hand buttons don’t do anything, nor does the bottom left button. The top left button exits out of LV. So here is my request: When in LV Sim mode, the top right button should increase shutter speed, the bottom right decrease shutter speed. If instead you want to change ISO, hold down the bottom left button, then push the top right to increase ISO, bottom right to decrease. This should update the simulation "on the fly" to reflect the change in exposure / ISO.

:ROTFL:

Dave

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Phase One has confirmed the new firmware will be released only as beta today, with a final release coming soon.

Having misstepped on a few firmware updates on the IQ4 I think they are taking a very conservative test-heavy approach, so I'm very glad to hear they aren't rushing anything out the door.

Paul Spinnler

The 56k quoted somewhere for the bundle are with three tech lenses?

So means with back trade ins one can get IQ150, XT body, three lenses into the sub 40k region?

Paul Spinnler

Would have been great if aperture and shutter control functionality would have been part of the XT body, given the integration possibility

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Would have been great if aperture and shutter control functionality would have been part of the XT body, given the integration possibility
I wouldn't have minded a set of controls on the body itself. But I think once you play with the controls on the back you'll find it's a pretty good approach. It also means fewer things on the back to break or wear/tear over time (though such dials rarely break, so I'm not saying this is a big consideration).