The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XT: The First Modern Field Camera (and X-Shutter and new firmware)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Perhaps a dumb question, is there a (easy) way to change the aperture on the Canon TS-E? (via P1?)
Today: Canon lens compatibility is provided by the Cambo Canon adapter which has an aperture control built in. This controller blocks easy access to the release mechanism, but DT has an exclusive lens-release tool that solves that problem elegantly.

Future: P1 could make a native XT Canon Mount with full electronic integration. If that's something you want to see you can provide that feedback here: XT Lens Prioritization.

Note that in practice it works fine (for most users/situations) to leave the lens stopped down to shooting aperture for most or the entire workflow. Live View on the IQ4 handles low light levels (e.g. viewing a dim scene while stopped down to f/16) very well, especially in the most recent (soon to be released) firmware.

On a related note, the IQ4 itself can be used to charge the small battery in the Canon adapter.

(From our article Powering the Phase One XT.)

alatreille

HI Doug,

The lens shade looks awesome. I could have used this all summer and I will definitely need it in Australia over the Christmas period.

What's the approximate expected retail on this?

Cheers

Andrew

Paul2660

Having read the announcement, just a few thoughts.

Great for Phase One.

However I am surprised that with all this planning etc. they did not find a way to include tilt and swing, with their proprietary X shutter mount. Both of these movements are very key reasons I use a tech camera. Sure you can add the Cambo lens panel and get their mount's swing, with the tiny knobs for adjustment, however with a chance to have a totally new platform, with a huge increase in shutter ranges, X shutter, not incorporation of tilt into camera is a loss. And or use of the Cambo T/S hardware into the proprietary mount.

No long lens support, folks, the 23mm is really really wide. The 32 is very wide, and the 70 is basically a standard lens, 50mm equivalent. (I realize 80mm is true). If and when the Schneiders become available this may not be as big an issue, if the 75-150 and 240 can mount. The mass of the 75-150 will put the system in a very front heavy status however as would the 40-80. But the true gems in the Tech line are the 40mm HR-W left out, the 90mm HRSW (with all other mounts prefers a back extension due to mass in front of mount) older 90mm HR could be used with out back extension. 120mm Schneider, (I realize no longer in production), but it's a great lens. 60mm Schneider? The 138 float is shown in the pictures, without a back extension, so again a very front heavy solution. I thought that Cambo's mount for this did have a back extension, but may have it wrong. No pricing shown for that lens. 150mm 180mm HR's again, no way to use them due to needs for back extension. So if the need arises for a longer lens, you still have to carry 2 systems.

NO adhoc solution still, so photographer is left with the LCD on the back, which now has a sun shade. I have one of these, and they really don't kill as much glare as you may think. The LCD is a bit out of date now, at least when compared to others out there. Thought it was funny to see Phase One recommend the Surface Pro for a solution (Ken Doo you rule).

12mm of movement, is limited period. The 70mm would easily work out to 15mm maybe even 20. The 90 HRSW would easily make 20mm Sure the 23 is very limited due to IC and the 32mm is best to about 12mm.

No mention of the CF's and if they included in the price. For sure the 23 needs one all the time, the 32mm if you shift I would recommend it. Need to consider these in the pricing.

As for price, personally I was not surprised. I wish US dealers well with this solution. Phase now has a tech camera, more expensive than Alpa and it looks like in many aspects it's a solid solution. If I read correctly, list is 18K for the camera and 32 HR-W with the X shutter. 18K.

I am surprised to see the the upcoming firmware for the IQ4 basically addresses really none of the known issues that have been around since day 1.

Paul C

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
As for price, personally I was not surprised. I wish US dealers well with this solution. Phase now has a tech camera, more expensive than Alpa and it looks like in many aspects it's a solid solution. If I read correctly, list is 18K for the camera and 32 HR-W with the X shutter. 18K.
When pricing out Alpa make sure you remember the various components you'll need that the XT includes natively. For example Alpa charges $1290 for an adapter plate which the XT has built-in.

An STC isn't really a fair comparison, but I think it's the closest comparison to make.

- STC Body
- Adapter Plate
- Sync Adapter
- HPF
- Dovetail
- Hand Grip
- 32HR in eShutter
- Silex (II) Controller

OR

- STC Body
- Adapter Plate
- Sync Adapter
- HPF
- Dovetail
- Hand Grip
- 32HR in Aperture Only

I think you'll find the XT is less expensive than either of these options, while being lighter and providing a significantly easier and more integrated workflow.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
HI Doug,

The lens shade looks awesome. I could have used this all summer and I will definitely need it in Australia over the Christmas period.

What's the approximate expected retail on this?

Cheers

Andrew
Will have final pricing and a product page up on the website in the next week or so. You can reach out to the sales team today ([email protected]) if you want to reserve one of the first batch.

Mexecutioner

When pricing out Alpa make sure you remember the various components you'll need that the XT includes natively. For example Alpa charges $1290 for an adapter plate which the XT has built-in.

An STC isn't really a fair comparison, but I think it's the closest comparison to make.

- STC Body
- Adapter Plate
- Sync Adapter
- HPF
- Dovetail
- Hand Grip
- 32HR in eShutter
- Silex (II) Controller

OR

- STC Body
- Adapter Plate
- Sync Adapter
- HPF
- Dovetail
- Hand Grip
- 32HR in Aperture Only

I think you'll find the XT is less expensive than either of these options, while being lighter and providing a significantly easier and more integrated workflow.

And cooler!

Gerd

Hello Doug,

From your article ...

https://phaseonext.com/the-xt-24mm-of-movement-possibilities/
... I have a question about the following statement.

"The XT lenses can be mounted on any Cambo tech camera (and powered / controlled through a cable from the IQ4)."

I understand this so that the new XT lenses on a (old) Cambo WRS 1600 can be mounted and the aperture and the shutter can be controlled directly via a cable from IQ4?

Have I understood that correctly?

That would be a knockout argument for me. Because otherwise I would never have a chance to fully use the image circle of a new XT lens.

Greeting Gerd

Gerd

.... I had just forgotten a question.

The meta data for X / Y Shift in IQ4 are generated by the XT. With a Cambo Plate (without contacts) I would still have to get the Shift X / Y Meta data - because they are generated in the XT. Is that true as I imagine?

Thank you for your answers in advance

Greeting Gerd

buildbot

Something that nobody else seems to be touching on is the limitation of this to the IQ4 series - It's pretty disappointing to me at least. The explanation that the new 12 pin socket is critical for shutter power makes some sense, but seems like a trivial barrier to overcome with either some kind of adapter cable with a battery connection, or to the HDMI port (5V 50ma of power per HDMI spec, no clue if that's enough). You could even get somewhat fancy and have a capacitor slowly charge up from the HDMI power to provide enough instantaneous current.

Sure it's not as elegant, but the most elegant thing would have been to have the lens connect to the body anyway and have the body pull power from the back for the shutter anyway.

Really awesome offering for the few with an IQ4 :)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hello Doug,

From your article ...

https://phaseonext.com/the-xt-24mm-of-movement-possibilities/
... I have a question about the following statement.

"The XT lenses can be mounted on any Cambo tech camera (and powered / controlled through a cable from the IQ4)."

I understand this so that the new XT lenses on a (old) Cambo WRS 1600 can be mounted and the aperture and the shutter can be controlled directly via a cable from IQ4?

Have I understood that correctly?

That would be a knockout argument for me. Because otherwise I would never have a chance to fully use the image circle of a new XT lens.
Thanks for the question as it made me realize we hadn't updated this section of this article.

This will be true in mid-2020. However, it is not true today.

Do note: today, if you have a Cambo 1600 and an XT with XT lenses you could use the XT to stop down the lens to working aperture (e.g. f/11) and then move the lens (still stopped down) to the 1600. That's a pretty low level of functionality; I'm only pointing it out for completeness as for some (minority of) people it would be enough.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The meta data for X / Y Shift in IQ4 are generated by the XT. With a Cambo Plate (without contacts) I would still have to get the Shift X / Y Meta data - because they are generated in the XT. Is that true as I imagine?
With lenses other than native XT lenses the XT behaves much like a "dumb" tech camera. That means no XY shift or lens metadata.

Our sales team has a very extensive technical compatibility chart I've put together. I'd suggest working your way through that chart with them to make sure you know what does and does not work with different combinations. Other dealers I've seen seem to be misunderstanding some of this.