The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XT: The First Modern Field Camera (and X-Shutter and new firmware)

Paul2660

Can anyone afford this who is making a living from the primary usage, ie landscape photography ? Or is is this a camera for the rich hobbyists , the doctors, the dentists, the lawyers ? I think there are very few landscape photographers who make enough from sales to justify the over $60K cost. Think Peter Lik

Not to mention Phase One backs depreciate like a rock as soon as a better model is released
I feel Lik's style allows a lot of leeway but he has sure done well with it. I have wondered what he shoots with. But for sure he could justify one considering the price he gets for 1 print.

Paul C

Last edited:

Mexecutioner

Can anyone afford this who is making a living from the primary usage, ie landscape photography ? Or is is this a camera for the rich hobbyists , the doctors, the dentists, the lawyers ? I think there are very few landscape photographers who make enough from sales to justify the over $60K cost. Think Peter Lik

Not to mention Phase One backs depreciate like a rock as soon as a better model is released
I am sure quite a few can. There are a lot of successful people out there, whether in photography or other fields like the ones you mention. Many photographers have marketed their work really well and these cameras make them a lot of money. Also keep in mind this would be a business expense and there are many advantages to that, depreciation being one of them.

Geoff

A lot of this is either factually inaccurate, or incorrectly implies the capability isn't available today on the XT platform. But you don't seem to be reading my replies before responding, or you haven't read the articles we've published about the XT (which would be understandable as we've written a ton, and you're under no obligation to read it all), or both. So I don't see much point in further back and forth as it's clear you've made your mind up.

That we agree on. There are many great cameras out there. We were already spoiled by good options, and the XT only piles on further good options.
A gracious response.

vjbelle

From Doug:

'Remounting into a native XT lens with X-Shutter will come mid-2020.

If you can't wait until then (and don't want to purchase a native XT lens outright):
- DT will offer some trade-in value for other lens mounts, toward a native XT lens
- You could remount into a Cambo WRS mount (we can assist with that, as a Cambo dealer) since the XT accepts any WRS mount lens

The XT only provides its full integration when using a native XT lens (since the electronic brains are actually in the X-Shutter, not the XT body itself). We're glad to help you make a decision between those two options.'

As I understand all of this lens correction, lcc correction if needed and lens data including shift amounts will applied to Native XT lenses. LCC data and distortion correction are really only needed for the wider lenses - probably up to the 40mm. Beyond that the lenses start to become distortion free. You imply that Schneider lenses will be able to be remounted and from MPOV only 60mm and above would/could benefit as they are distortion free and in no need of LCC'S. But there still has to be some communication regarding which lens is attached which I would hope could be accomplished through the DB. There also has to be some way for the longer/all lenses to reach FFD which means a spacer somewhere. If it could be a smart spacer than a generac X shutter could be made reducing some costs.

Am I understanding all of this?

Victor

med

Not a stupid question at all. There is no hot shoe, but you can use a sync cable to the PC port on the digital back to sync flash.

We didn't have the cold-shoe adapter on hand when we did the GIFs, but they'd go on the same port as the compendium shade is shown attaching to.

If you're using the compendium shade you can stack-attach the cold-shoe on top of that, but I find that a bit unergonomic. So I'd suggest instead the DT Dovetail With Compendium Mount for the Phase One XT that allows the compendium to be mounted via the bottom, leaving the normal accessory port and the shutter release less obfiscated.
Thank you Doug. I forgot about the sync port on the IQ back. I was thinking that there must be a sync port on the shutter for future use cases if the shutter will be used on non-XT systems, however it looks like ECUs like the Silex also have a sync port on them.

It would be really great if the Profoto integration from the XF was also built into the IQ4 back, however I have no idea if the Profoto protocols can use the same 2.4 GHz chip the IQ4 is using for 802.11__. Given the current pace of development for wifi features on the IQ4, I wouldn't hold my breath for this to be added even if it is possible.

algrove

Someone I know who met Peter Lik asked him what camera system he used and his reply was Phase One. At the time this guy never heard of PO, but now he owns one.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
From Doug:

'Remounting into a native XT lens with X-Shutter will come mid-2020.

If you can't wait until then (and don't want to purchase a native XT lens outright):
- DT will offer some trade-in value for other lens mounts, toward a native XT lens
- You could remount into a Cambo WRS mount (we can assist with that, as a Cambo dealer) since the XT accepts any WRS mount lens

The XT only provides its full integration when using a native XT lens (since the electronic brains are actually in the X-Shutter, not the XT body itself). We're glad to help you make a decision between those two options.'

As I understand all of this lens correction, lcc correction if needed and lens data including shift amounts will applied to Native XT lenses. LCC data and distortion correction are really only needed for the wider lenses - probably up to the 40mm. Beyond that the lenses start to become distortion free. You imply that Schneider lenses will be able to be remounted and from MPOV only 60mm and above would/could benefit as they are distortion free and in no need of LCC'S. But there still has to be some communication regarding which lens is attached which I would hope could be accomplished through the DB. There also has to be some way for the longer/all lenses to reach FFD which means a spacer somewhere. If it could be a smart spacer than a generac X shutter could be made reducing some costs.

Am I understanding all of this?

Victor
Victor, I'm really sorry. I've read your post a couple times and it could be my sleep deprivation but I'm finding it kind of confusing. I'd suggest you follow up by phone with our team who can walk you through the options and pros and cons.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
It would be really great if the Profoto integration from the XF was also built into the IQ4 back, however I have no idea if the Profoto protocols can use the same 2.4 GHz chip the IQ4 is using for 802.11__. Given the current pace of development for wifi features on the IQ4, I wouldn't hold my breath for this to be added even if it is possible.
Not possible at a technical level, unfortunately.

med

Not possible at a technical level, unfortunately.
Too bad. Not an essential feature, but another one in the "would be nice" category.

I really want to like the XT, I just can't see how it would fit into my system, other than as yet another additional option to grab or pack, with its own lenses to go with it.

Now if Phase had happened to partner with Arca for the XT, and used their lens mount somehow (a fantasy, I know) along with the integrated tilt, I would be singing a completely different tune and running out to pre order. As it is there are too many things I would miss from my Arca system to be able to replace with XT system.

vjbelle

Victor, I'm really sorry. I've read your post a couple times and it could be my sleep deprivation but I'm finding it kind of confusing. I'd suggest you follow up by phone with our team who can walk you through the options and pros and cons.
An example:

I have a Schneider 120 Asph that I want to use on my XT. I have to wait until mid 2020 for that option. When that option is available will the XT shutter have built into it the lens data or will I input that from the DB? Will a generac XT shutter be available for me to mount any lens on? If so will spacers either dumb or smart be made available so I can meet FFD?

I hope this is clearer....

Victor

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I have a Schneider 120 Asph that I want to use on my XT. I have to wait until mid 2020 for that option.
You don't have to wait. You can have remounted into a standard Cambo lens board today and use it the same as you can on another tech camera today (no integration or automation).

When that option is available will the XT shutter have built into it the lens data?
In mid 2020 you could have it mounted onto a native XT board with X-Shutter. Since that service is not up and running, the following is informed/rational speculation.

The lens data (model, aperture, serial number) will likely be incorporated into the X-Shutter, yes.

Whether that translates to automatic distortion and LCC correction is less likely, given that this requires extensive profiling in SK and the 120ASPH is no longer made for the general public (only under special contract for DT's Cultural Heritage Division).

The 120ASPH is very very low in distortion and lens cast at 12mm movement, so for this specific lens it probably won't matter either way.

Will a generac XT shutter be available for me to mount any lens on? If so will spacers either dumb or smart be made available so I can meet FFD?
Very unlikely. All discussions have been regarding providing the shutter as a component to 3rd parties such as Rodenstock for them to integrate into their lenses which are then used by other 3rd parties such as Arca.

Paul2660

Won’t the 120mm Schneider need a back extension? I know it has one on Arca and if I remember correctly it did on Cambo. For that matter so does the 90 HRSW. Same length of extension.

It seems that any lens with a back extension would fit the XT but the XT would become just a standard tech camera as no communication would be available.

Unless a smart back extension is made.

Paul C

Paul Spinnler

So ... anyone buying this system on this forum? If so, already owner of a tech cam or new? Genuinely curious regarding demand!

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Won’t the 120mm Schneider need a back extension? I know it has one on Arca and if I remember correctly it did on Cambo. For that matter so does the 90 HRSW. Same length of extension.
Cambo had two versions, one was an all-in-front, and the other a split-with-rear-extension version.

kdphotography

I think interest in the Phase XT will increase as more lenses are added with the XT shutter.

I would think the HR40 would be popular...

dchew

Not me, but I doubt existing technical camera owners are the primary focus. It depends on what lenses people have and/or use. I don't think it is reasonable to expect many people will carry two systems, so anyone shooting longer lenses is out, at least for now.

For me, I would have to give up way too much: Tilt, longer lenses, $$ and the system would weigh more. I've worked on refining equipment in my bag for almost 10 years, and lens choice is a very big part of that. I would gain some workflow efficiency, maybe. It pales in comparison to the workflow efficiency the IQ3100 offered and the IQ4150 too.

I think it was the right move for Phase to make, given the constraints they face in the market. I applaud the product, but it is not something I see in my future.

Dave