Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Phase One XT Camera Revelations and Considerations

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase One XT Camera Revelations and Considerations

Quote Originally Posted by ASTeamwork View Post
    Just testing the new firmware, with IQ4 150MP on the XF, and I have hard-button control over all of the exposure parameters, not just ISO. Same with LS, FPS and ES.

Hi Al - I meant for (non XT) technical cameras, like Alpa, Cambo, Arca Swiss. Behavior for XF and XT should be the same.

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: • Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad •
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar •

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FYI - for now, we've updated our firmware recommendation to a "Proceed with Caution" rating (for tech camera users), due to Frame Averaging on tech camera being totally FUBAR. We have detailed some of the behavior that has prompted this warning.

https://captureintegration.com/relea...mware-6-00-52/

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASTeamwork View Post
    Just testing the new firmware, with IQ4 150MP on the XF, and I have hard-button control over all of the exposure parameters, not just ISO.

Assuming by 'non-XT bodies' you mean other non-Phase One bodies?
    Hello Al,

Phase One submitted a firmware update that updates the most recent prior version that allowed for Frame Averaging usage on tech camera bodies manufactured by other manufacturers; i.e., other than the XT, which, by the way, I have on order but have yet to receive. Before this update, I could use my IQ4 150 and its Frame Averaging on any of my 3 Arca-Swiss tech cameras. After this update, I cannot. I am happy for you that this firmware works as represented on your XF. Guess what? It works on mine too! What I did not expect is to lose functionality already provided for the "non-XT bodies", to quote you.

I am not one of those that expects all of the functionality the XT-IQ4 combo will provide, to non-XT bodies. I understand the underlying technology. But, as a Phase One customer of over 12 years, owner of 3 prior version backs, currently an owner of 2, and 1 more ordered with the XT, I have been extremely patient with Phase One's IQ4 entry into the market.

I've been photographing for over 50 years and the IQ4 150 is the best tool I've had, but for a company to release a version of its product that not only eliminates recently added and marketed functionality, but corrupted the use of its product, is pathetic. As a guy who's been successful enough in his own private businesses to afford several hundred thousand dollars worth of equipment, I grasp how businesses NEED to run.

If Phase One intended to remove the Frame Averaging functionality for non-XT bodies, then it simply wouldn't allow (would have removed) for the Sigma to show up on the right side with a left swipe when an XT isn't attached. And guess what, that's ok by me because that would be a business decision on their part and likewise on mine. But it didn't have that intention. Instead, it released a firmware version that is broken. And that's just pathetic.

If I were one of the new private equity owners of this company, I would have already called a board meeting, have image captures of posts from relevant online forums, and have the CEO explain why we release broken versions of the firmware or, was it their intention, and if so, why?.

Does this help answer your question?

Cheers,
    Robert
    Last edited by rsinclair; 27th September 2019 at 02:05.
    Website

PhaseOne . Arca-Swiss . Mamiya . Hasselblad . Leica . Canon . iPhone

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It would be a big mistake for Phase One to limit Frame Averaging only to the XT and XF.

Feature was announced almost a year ago without any mention of it only working with proprietary Phase cameras.

The fact is that it appears to be broken on the XF also.

Amazing this again was not caught in testing.

Paul C
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    It would be a big mistake for Phase One to limit Frame Averaging only to the XT and XF.

Feature was announced almost a year ago without any mention of it only working with proprietary Phase cameras.

The fact is that it appears to be broken on the XF also.

Amazing this again was not caught in testing.

Paul C

I don't expect that this is the case, especially since it was already in operation on existing tech cameras before this recent firmware edition.

No I think this is just a case where the firmware QC process for Phase one seems broken. Almost as if there is a limited mindset to what needs to be tested. In this case, they were preparing final firmware that brought an official non beta version of firmware for compatibility the XT. But there were also some additional features added.

However, with software/firmware, because you make one thing work well in one circumstance does not mean that because it worked well in a different circumstance in the past, that this has not changed somehow. Now they are making digital backs for XF, Tech Cameras, and XT. Every operation for every contingency needs to be re-confirmed. It feels like they are making some assumptions in their QC process, and this is the result when that happens.

I don't think they're understaffed. I think they are underestimating the complexity of this product with the amount of computational capability it possesses. Increase the capability, increase the complexity. And they cannot rely on the same sort of process they have in the past with a P+ or IQ1 level product. The product has changed dramatically and they need to re-think their process. I'm surprised that their approach to the firmware QC process has not been corrected by now.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think they are embarrassingly incompetent... for god sake we are talking about a 50-100k investment....
    Christopher Hauser
    http://www.chauser.eu
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I think they are embarrassingly incompetent... for god sake we are talking about a 50-100k investment....
    It would be like Tesla pushing an update that disabled self driving... Same level of cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    I don't expect that this is the case, especially since it was already in operation on existing tech cameras before this recent firmware edition.

No I think this is just a case where the firmware QC process for Phase one seems broken. Almost as if there is a limited mindset to what needs to be tested. In this case, they were preparing final firmware that brought an official non beta version of firmware for compatibility the XT. But there were also some additional features added.

However, with software/firmware, because you make one thing work well in one circumstance does not mean that because it worked well in a different circumstance in the past, that this has not changed somehow. Now they are making digital backs for XF, Tech Cameras, and XT. Every operation for every contingency needs to be re-confirmed. It feels like they are making some assumptions in their QC process, and this is the result when that happens.

I don't think they're understaffed. I think they are underestimating the complexity of this product with the amount of computational capability it possesses. Increase the capability, increase the complexity. And they cannot rely on the same sort of process they have in the past with a P+ or IQ1 level product. The product has changed dramatically and they need to re-think their process. I'm surprised that their approach to the firmware QC process has not been corrected by now.

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve...... the actual testing isn't rocket science. You are making it sound as this is so difficult to test that it's just beyond all of those sparkies at Phase. None of us here, AFAIK, are software engineers and yet in the time frame of just minutes it was discovered that a lot of features either don't work at all or not as intended.

All Phase had to do was find anyone who can attach the DB to all of the known platforms and see if it actually works.

It's not rocket science to perform that simple test.

All of this from my point of view is beyond incompetence and indefensible.

Victor
    Last edited by vjbelle; 27th September 2019 at 12:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Steve...... the actual testing isn't rocket science. You are making it sound as this is so difficult to test that it's just beyond all of those sparkies at Phase. None of us here, AFAIK, are software engineers and yet in the time frame of just minutes it was discovered that a lot of features either don't work at all or not as intended.

All Phase had to do was find anyone who can attach the DB to all of the known platforms and see if it actually works.

Victor

Hi Victor, my post may have come across that way to you, but that is not how I intended it to be interpreted.

The product itself is more complex. More and more like a powerful computer with more and more capabilities.

The testing itself is not complex. The process of testing for something like this is not difficult or complicated. It simply must be comprehensive. There has to be a standard template of what operations to drill on and in what circumstances (which camera, which lens, which operation, etc.), and this should happen every single time.

Just because the firmware is being prepped for the XT, doesn't mean you do not have to then also test all the same things you tested last time for the XF, tech cameras, etc. This is not difficult, it just feels like they are winging it each time and the process is broken. The process has to be consistent, otherwise, assumptions get made and the result is things don't work.

Making one set of operations work flawlessly does not happen in a vacuum. What goes up can go down elsewhere. What is good here, can then - for whatever reason - not be good there. That is why everything has to be tested every time. This is clearly not happening.

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Victor
    I am for what it's worth, and when doing hardware, you should have tests for _everything_
    We have tools that show if a line of code is tested or not, and you aim for 100% coverage, and that's just the start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve,

Just glad CI posted the update to your blog post on the firmware, as I was ready to install it, but went back to read over the feature/process once again and saw the update about FA on tech cameras.

Paul C
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like

Steve..... another concern I have is that Phase is putting major eggs into the XT at the expense of leaving Tech camera users behind. IMO that would be a major mistake.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve..... another concern I have is that Phase is putting major eggs into the XT at the expense of leaving Tech camera users behind. IMO that would be a major mistake.

Victor

I agree this would be a mistake. As such, I don't feel their specific intent moving forward is to kill other tech camera options. The majority of the profit from hardware for Phase One is selling digital backs. It doesn't matter which camera they go on, if they don't sell enough digital backs. They will certainly be able to add features for the XT that are not available for non XT tech cameras. But they would be wise to not limit those features which would port easily to non XT tech cameras. That would be a disaster. I am cautiously confident that they realize this.

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree this would be a mistake. As such, I don't feel their specific intent moving forward is to kill other tech camera options. The majority of the profit from hardware for Phase One is selling digital backs. It doesn't matter which camera they go on, if they don't sell enough digital backs. They will certainly be able to add features for the XT that are not available for non XT tech cameras. But they would be wise to not limit those features which would port easily to non XT tech cameras. That would be a disaster. I am cautiously confident that they realize this.

Steve Hendrix/CI
    I gotta agree with Steve, this would not be logical. As a XF and Tech camera user, I preordered an XT as initially I wanted to upgrade to the Cambo 1600 to be able to rotate the back, the XT looked like the future and knowing my Cambo lenses (5 of them) would not be obsolete, I ordered the XT with the 32mm (now that it is not so delicate in the helical / Copal mount). How can they intentionally betray users of XF and Cambo after collaborating with Cambo in the frame? Surely the XT will have more features, but should be because of communication between the newly mounted lenses and the IQ4 and should be the same on the XF and blue ring lenses. Do they expect people to own two IQ4s one with old software for the XF and tech camera frames and the other for the XT? They gotta be drinking / smoking something I don't have.

The most concerning part of this is twofold, one which been explained by many members, "how did this get out" .

AND - Where is Phase One in all this? Nothing on their Web Site owning up to this fiasco. Do the expect their vendors to be up all night trying to calm things down - and no word from them? This is troubling. Nobody under any circumstance anywhere likes being taken for granted, left feeling bewildered and taken advantage of. I have met the Phase people several times, they were always helpful, knowable and appreciative of their customers.

I respect and value my vendor (going on 10 years) and treat them like a friend, that my way of doing business, so I repeat where is Phase in all this -- they made mess they should clean it up. Not take advantage of their vendors / customers.

PS -Phase people can speak (and write) in English

Sorry for the rant
    Last edited by alajuela; 28th September 2019 at 12:24.
    Philip
    www.pg-pg.com

Post Thanks / Like

... None of us here, AFAIK, are software engineers and yet in the time frame of just minutes it was discovered that a lot of features either don't work at all or not as intended.
    Actually, I graduated in Software Engineering from Uni

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just back from the first hands on with the XT. Thanks Chris.

I am an Alpa shooter and I very much like shifting my HR40 say +12, -12 which probably gives me about 30mm lens give or take.

When I first was deciding on a tech cam I remember Jack said in a thread about an old study from say Arca-Swiss or someone else suggesting for a 3 lens setup use sensor (or film) dimensions this way with the IQ3 or now IQ4:

vertical for wide=40mm
    diagonal for medium=70mm and
    2-3 times length for tele=150mm for me or could be a 90 for someone else.
    and for everything else, walk.

Even though I now use the 90au and S-K 210, Jack's basic suggestion still holds and it has been GAS that expanded my lens lineup.

With the 32mm the XT is very functional and the 23 VERY wide. It has an excellent design with every feature one could want in a small package except for tilt. When in portrait mode it would be nice to have the scale on the side of the body facing the photographer even though it shows all X and Y adjustments on the back. I guess I'm old school.

If I owned a Cambo setup I would be very tempted as even manual lenses will work on the XT. But is that the reason to get one? A Cambo shooter with us mentioned he likes his current setup and the tilt offered by his 1600. I like the tilt on my Alpa gear also.

Another individual who shoots an XF is considering the XT and for good reason to reduce the weight he carries around. As a matter of fact that's why everyone with me today that either has a tech cam or is considering getting one is due to weight considerations.

The current XT lens lineup for me is not what I want. I often shoot long even though Jack's 'walk closer' comment has obvious merit. The XT will probably get the 138mm next year.

If you are not a current tech cam owner, this is the choice right now. If you need or want longer lens choices like the 90 or 180 then manual Cambo lenses might be your answer since they will work on the XT in manual mode.

Just my 2 cents and Jack I trust my paraphrasing does not upset you.
    Last edited by algrove; 13th October 2019 at 06:42.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    It has an excellent design with every feature one could want in a small package except for tilt.
    Today I've tried the XT. It is small, lightweight, good looking and fully integrated.
    The guy of P1 who showed me it said that tilt option will come the next year.
    If I could afford it together with the IQ4 back, I would in any case wait for the tilt lenses before pulling the trigger.
    Marco Ristuccia
    photography.marcoristuccia.com
    "Unconcerned but not indifferent."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not so sure about tilt coming to the XT in the next 15 months due to lens design. The thickness of the aperture blades and electronics makes for difficult tilt design I was told today.

Post Thanks / Like

Not so sure about tilt coming to the XT in the next 15 months due to lens design. The thickness of the aperture blades and electronics makes for difficult tilt design I was told today.
    If tilt would have been possible, the XT would have come with tilt.

For many, no tilt (or auto focus stacking) might be a deal-breaker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You forgot to mention the price as deal-breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

Christopher Hauser

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm really ignorant about the tech camera sector and tecnologies, I just asked the P1 representative.
    But I have in mind the Cambo WTS Rodie lenses, so I've thought it could have been possible to do the same with the new "P1-shutterized" lenses.
    Marco Ristuccia
    photography.marcoristuccia.com
    "Unconcerned but not indifferent."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase went with Cambo. Cambo makes no camera body with tilt or swing instead you buy the lens mount in T/S or not.

For the price IMO Phase had a chance to design from the ground up no reason tilt should have been overlooked. They did not rebrand an existing Cambo body.

Price point has eliminated the XT from consideration for me.

Just too expensive to switch.

I hope Phase does well with it obviously has taken away from cycles that could have been used to fix existing issues on the IQ4 and the new issues that came with the latest firmware update.

Paul C
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]photosofarkansas.com
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think one of the main features Phase is touting is the intergraded shutter. I can sorta understand no tilt on the 32 and certainly on the 23, but I think should they integrate T/S in the shutter, then the 70 is odd man out.
    I shot the camera with Chris and gotta say it is certainly nice. I hope Phase follows through and delivers the features promised on the current systems and not surprise us with new models/ upgrades to drain the wallets

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    ... one of the main features Phase is touting is the intergraded shutter....
    This is THE main feature.

Rodenstock lenses with Copal shutters are no longer available from Rodenstock. It is my understanding that now all the stock of new Copal lenses have been used up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And that’s why we now have Rodenstocks Aperture only mount. Combined with ES it works great. Sure, there are some use cases where a real shutter helps. At least until with have a Globalshutter
    This is THE main feature.

Rodenstock lenses with Copal shutters are no longer available from Rodenstock. It is my understanding that now all the stock of new Copal lenses have been used up.
    Christopher Hauser

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two simple questions, will the 90 come? Will it need a spacer? And does the cambo version work? It DOES need a spacer, so the question is whether a spacer actually works or if the mount is fixed to the XT.
    Christopher Hauser

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the Calumet Show in Munich and talked to the Cambo guy about the XT and
    he was not sure about if and when the 90 or the 138 would become availalble in
    XT-mount.
    What i got away from him was: The shutter is made in Israel by Leaf and
    will eventually become availalble for Alpa as well, what surprised me a little bit and
    that every single bit of the XT-Design was strictly specificated by Phase One no
    matter how silly it might be.
    I also talked to my Phase One dealer and he seems to be depressed because the IQ4 has been a desaster up to now in terms of maintenance etc. and Phase One is not
    helping at all, i think they really got hit by Fuji and are a bit of paralyzed right now.
    Last edited by Phase V; 14th October 2019 at 12:16.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phae V

No one mentioned that the change in ownership at Phase might have taken many at Phase off their game with regards to the IQ4 since now one can assume pushing the XT is really what Phase cares about now.

Perhaps the new owners impressed upon Phase how important the IQ4 release was and they rushed it a bit prematurely?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's an interesting thought. I recently had cause to ask Capture One/Phase One a simple question: All new MBP ship with 10.14.6 as standard OS. C1 lists 10.14.5 as the supported version. I asked two things: Does it support 10.14.6 and does it support the already released Catalina - 10.15.x

The reply was simply bizarre: The latest supported version is 10.14.5 I was told and not they couldn't comment on 10.14.6 as they did not discuss "future versions" of C1. The same applied to Catalina support.

I've worked in the IT sector for a long time. Those answers, in practical terms are a sign that all is not well within Capture/Phase. These are not "future versions" about which secrecy may be required because of fantastic new and highly competitive features! This is simply about continuing support by C1 for one of the two major operating systems that they purport to support. These are currently released OS versions for which betas have been available for months in the case of Catalina. This is a technical matter of ensuring ongoing compatibility of their product with the currently released OS.

My experience is that as companies grow and as software capability complexifies, there often comes an inflexion point where the competent people who have managed the software business to that point, suddenly, are incapable of managing the new scale/complexity issues. This feels like one such point for C1. It may also be that investors have changed and brought new expectations for focus or performance metrics.

Whatever the case a new broom is required in the software area at C1/Phase. The culture needs to return to delivering timely value to customers, ensuring ongoing support in a timely way for supported operating systems and ceasing to behave as if everything is a secret - openness and engagement would be a good starting point. There is indeed something rotten in the state of Denmark at present to paraphrase someone.

In terms of openness and engagement with the market, I can only suggest that Phase may take a leaf out of....Fuji's book.

<\endrant>

Phae V

No one mentioned that the change in ownership at Phase might have taken many at Phase off their game with regards to the IQ4 since now one can assume pushing the XT is really what Phase cares about now.

Perhaps the new owners impressed upon Phase how important the IQ4 release was and they rushed it a bit prematurely?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pelorus View Post
    It's an interesting thought. I recently had cause to ask Capture One/Phase One a simple question: All new MBP ship with 10.14.6 as standard OS. C1 lists 10.14.5 as the supported version. I asked two things: Does it support 10.14.6 and does it support the already released Catalina - 10.15.x

The reply was simply bizarre: The latest supported version is 10.14.5 I was told and not they couldn't comment on 10.14.6 as they did not discuss "future versions" of C1. The same applied to Catalina support.

I've worked in the IT sector for a long time. Those answers, in practical terms are a sign that all is not well within Capture/Phase. These are not "future versions" about which secrecy may be required because of fantastic new and highly competitive features! This is simply about continuing support by C1 for one of the two major operating systems that they purport to support. These are currently released OS versions for which betas have been available for months in the case of Catalina. This is a technical matter of ensuring ongoing compatibility of their product with the currently released OS.

My experience is that as companies grow and as software capability complexifies, there often comes an inflexion point where the competent people who have managed the software business to that point, suddenly, are incapable of managing the new scale/complexity issues. This feels like one such point for C1. It may also be that investors have changed and brought new expectations for focus or performance metrics.

Whatever the case a new broom is required in the software area at C1/Phase. The culture needs to return to delivering timely value to customers, ensuring ongoing support in a timely way for supported operating systems and ceasing to behave as if everything is a secret - openness and engagement would be a good starting point. There is indeed something rotten in the state of Denmark at present to paraphrase someone.

In terms of openness and engagement with the market, I can only suggest that Phase may take a leaf out of....Fuji's book.

<\endrant>

I've been using it on 2 machines on 10.14.6 for quite a while with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
    I've been using it on 2 machines on 10.14.6 for quite a while with no issues.
    As have I, since the new MBP came with it installed. The point is...no thanks to or help from Capture One.

Post Thanks / Like

As have I, since the new MBP came with it installed. The point is...no thanks to or help from Capture One.
    I get your point, but since there is not much we can do about that (whether you just got an answer from an incompetent employee or because Phase One may really be in shambles) I wanted to share my experience with the aforementioned OS in case it was useful.

Post Thanks / Like

There are some actual issues with Catalina as well with large imports, Capture One eventually crashes with a segmentation fault when enumerating many files.

Post Thanks / Like

Long term tech user here. Had an XT demo the other day.
    It's all about the shutter, nothing else is remotely that special.

The shutter is great - quite, quick and very minimal. The one and only reason to consider this 'system'.
    The XT body - quite honestly I feel Alpa has a better range of tech bodies.
    some things clearly wrong:
    - No cold shoe, and nowhere to put something like, oh... an optical finder?!
    - The silly rotating mount that gets in the way 90% of the time.
    - Small range of movements: No body option with more, no body option with none/less.

The lens choice is abysmal right now. Badly need to ramp that up, or at least announce the pipeline - this is not a 'system' as it stands.
    Roddy 50mm and 90mm are badly needed.

Glad to hear the shutter will be released to Alpa, Arca and others. Hope that is true.
    But just to repeat: the shutter is the star. If that lives up to the promised reliability, then it's a real positive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post

The shutter is great - quite, quick and very minimal. The one and only reason to consider this 'system'.
    - Small range of movements: No body option with more, no body option with none/less.

The lens choice is abysmal right now. Badly need to ramp that up, or at least announce the pipeline - this is not a 'system' as it stands.

Glad to hear the shutter will be released to Alpa, Arca and others. Hope that is true.
    But just to repeat: the shutter is the star. If that lives up to the promised reliability, then it's a real positive.

I agree the X shutter is the real hero. There are no other shutters! Copal is gone, Sinar e250 is in limbo ... We needed a shutter, and this is a very good shutter.

There is the ability to mount a cold shoe to the XF with the Cambo Accessory Shoe Holder:

https://www.digitalback.com/product/...oint-fixation/

I suspect they discussed the top mounting options, for an optical viewfinder, for example, and chose to not include that option, given that size seems to have been a driving force behind the design. I feel that optical finders are valuable for some of my clients, but I have sold very few in recent years.

What "silly rotating mount" are you referring to that gets in the way?

I do agree that Phase One would benefit by announcing a lens roadmap sooner than later.

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Last edited by Steve Hendrix; 15th October 2019 at 19:41.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What about the workhorse 40?

40, 70 and then 138-terrific 3 lens kit.

Post Thanks / Like

What about the workhorse 40?

40, 70 and then 138-terrific 3 lens kit.
    40mm is a waste as there is a 32mm already!
    The 50 and 40mm Roddie's are both workhorses (same generation, same design), and both excellent.

23, 32 and 70 are what there is now. so put a 50mm in the middle. And a longer lens - the 90mm HRSW ideally.
    the 70mm is an old design currently being re-formulated by Rodenstock so I would avoid that for now.

50mm acts as a gentle wide standard, and becomes wider when stitch-shifted, covering your 40mm wishes.

I think we can agree the lens "range" is laughable at present.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the X shutter is the real hero. There are no other shutters! Copal is gone, Sinar e250 is in limbo ... We needed a shutter, and this is a very good shutter.

There is the ability to mount a cold shoe to the XF with the Cambo Accessory Shoe Holder:

https://www.digitalback.com/product/...oint-fixation/

I suspect they discussed the top mounting options, for an optical viewfinder, for example, and chose to not include that option, given that size seems to have been a driving force behind the design. I feel that optical finders are valuable for some of my clients, but I have sold very few in recent years.

What "silly rotating mount" are you referring to that gets in the way?

I do agree that Phase One would benefit by announcing a lens roadmap sooner than later.

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve, thanks for your responses.

1: The accessory shoe needs to be mounted onto the camera body, not onto a 'compendium lens shade' that is just a plain bad design. (and ridiculous that you have to buy a $655 !! hood that you likely don't want, in order to attach a $105 accessory shoe!) Oh and it isn't simply for a finder - you may want an iPhone, a video monitor, a level, or... a finder ! Major oversight.

2: The rotating mount is, (am I really having to explain this?!) the tripod mount that rotates through 90degrees when you want to do a vertical. Why not simply attach the back in a vertical orientation!!, like you can with Alps, Arca, etc? Its an over-engineered solution for a non-problem. Plus it makes the body heavier and ungainly and its fugly as heck. (You say they probably didn't put an accessory shoe on there as 'size was a driving force'... yet they put this on there?!)

I like the lens shutter solution. It's great, but please don't over-sell it: we all managed fine with out Copals, and continue to. More importantly, people are mostly using ES now, and that will just get better and better. This shutter is quiet, with minimal vibrations, but ES has none and is totally silent.

Post Thanks / Like

The rotating mount is ... the tripod mount that rotates through 90degrees when you want to do a vertical. Why not simply attach the back in a vertical orientation!!,
    Would have been better if the digital back (mount) could rotate, this way rotation would be independent of any shift movements. Now any shift moments also rotate. (More of an issue if tilt would have been possible.)

Being only be able to reverse the digital back has the drawbacks that the digital back has to be taken off the camera (dust?) and in that only two positions, vertical or horizontal, are available.

(Terminology: "rotating back" - revolves in place; "reversible back"- can be unlatched, turned 90 degrees, and latched back.)

Post Thanks / Like

Would have been better if only the digital back could rotate, this way rotation would be independent of any shift movements. Now any shift moments also rotate. (More of an issue if tilt would have been possible.)

Being only be able to reverse the digital back has the drawbacks that the digital back has to be taken off the camera (dust?) and in that only two positions, vertical or horizontal, are available.

(Terminology: "rotating back" - revolves in place; "reversible back"- can be unlatched, turned 90 degrees, and latched back.)
    I’m a little perplexed by this.

A rotatable back adapter for the Fuji GX680 has been available for years (decades?) from Kapture Group.

As engineering challenges go, it’s hardly rocket science.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

2: The rotating mount is, (am I really having to explain this?!) the tripod mount that rotates through 90degrees when you want to do a vertical. Why not simply attach the back in a vertical orientation!!, like you can with Alps, Arca, etc? Its an over-engineered solution for a non-problem. Plus it makes the body heavier and ungainly and its fugly as heck. (You say they probably didn't put an accessory shoe on there as 'size was a driving force'... yet they put this on there?!)
    Yes - a complex piece of engineering, but like so many things Phase does, I think it has a purpose that may not be initially seen.

I think the rotating body has been used to enable simpler recording of the movements. For anyone who owns the 32Rod and photographs Architecture it is a darn right pain in the backside recording the movements and keeping track of vertical/horizontal movements. I do it 20-30 times a day sometimes. And when I'm stitiching for a wider view...

By allowing the entire camera plate to rotate (with the shifting dials) my guess (Steve, please correct or chime in here) is that the system doesn't care if the back is in horizontal or vertical orientation, it records the movements as positive or negative regardless of X or Y.

I think it's quite clever in this case, but I'd love to hear if this was part of the design intent.

And of course with the Schneider glass or my 180 Rod (yes, Architectural and landscape photographers do use long lenses) distortion and recording of the movements really doesn't really matter.

A

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

1: The accessory shoe needs to be mounted onto the camera body, not onto a 'compendium lens shade' that is just a plain bad design. (and ridiculous that you have to buy a $655 !! hood that you likely don't want, in order to attach a $105 accessory shoe!) Oh and it isn't simply for a finder - you may want an iPhone, a video monitor, a level, or... a finder ! Major oversight.

I like the lens shutter solution. It's great, but please don't over-sell it: we all managed fine with out Copals, and continue to. More importantly, people are mostly using ES now, and that will just get better and better. This shutter is quiet, with minimal vibrations, but ES has none and is totally silent.

The Accessory Shoe does not require the Lens Hood to attach to the XT. It can attach directly to the side of the body. See attached image.

I don't understand your viewpoint on the rotating mount. I think that is one of the best aspects of the camera. Yes, you can rotate a digital back to any tech camera body by removing it and turning it 90Ί and then re-seating it. But many of my clients have expressed apprehension at this over the years. I've never dropped a digital back when rotating it in this manner (knock very very heavily on wood), but it makes users nervous. And you do certainly expose the sensor to the elements (to some degree). In certain conditions it would be a great thing to not have to remove the back to rotate it. I think it is an elegant execution of a wonderful idea.

I certainly didn't mean to "over-sell", as you say, the X Shutter by calling it a very good shutter. But they solved a problem that needed solving. And it is an extremely robust shutter - we've been told that they have never experienced a failure below 900,000 actuations. Aperture Mount for Electronic Shutter works great for many, but not for everyone. And copal shutters are history. Yes, everyone got along fine in the past with copal, but they're gone. What does someone buy if they want a new lens and need more than the Aperture Mount offers? I feel that the development of the X Shutter is very important.

And this is all early, the lens lineup is the starting lens lineup, just like many other newly introduced cameras, and more lenses will follow. Again, what I would like to see is more transparency about what that roadmap would look like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6204 2 copy 1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	144756
    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve of the shutter is so great, why no great warranty... I still think a 12k lens should have a 3 year warranty as STANDARD!
    Christopher Hauser

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Steve of the shutter is so great, why no great warranty... I still think a 12k lens should have a 3 year warranty as STANDARD!

If purchased as a full kit with IQ4 (not an upgrade kit), then the XT lenses come with 5 year warranty (as does the XT body).

If purchased as an upgrade, the XT and Lenses have 1 year warranty (IQ4 always has 5 year warranty, regardless).

This has always been a sore spot for me, because Phase One has at times made a big deal of marketing the 5 year warranty without transparency on the terms (upgrade vs non upgrade). If they were more transparent on the terms when marketing the 5 year warranty, and if they offered an option to add the 5 year warranty when upgrading, I would feel less sore about it. Why penalize existing clients who have already purchased by taking away the 5 year warranty option for the XT and lenses?

It's not the price of the products that makes me feel there should be 5 year warranty all the way around standard. There are tons of expensive products throughout many industries that have minimal standard warranties. What I don't like is not offering an option for existing customers to also have a 5 year warranty (even if there is an extra cost). In contrast, the XF Camera does offer this option (when upgrading).

Steve Hendrix/CI

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly didn't mean to "over-sell", as you say, the X Shutter by calling it a very good shutter. But they solved a problem that needed solving. And it is an extremely robust shutter - we've been told that they have never experienced a failure below 900,000 actuations. Aperture Mount for Electronic Shutter works great for many, but not for everyone. And copal shutters are history. Yes, everyone got along fine in the past with copal, but they're gone. What does someone buy if they want a new lens and need more than the Aperture Mount offers? I feel that the development of the X Shutter is very important.

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve, please see my note above regarding the design/movement recording. Do you have any comment on this please? I'm genuinely interested in the other reasons other than 'weather exposure'

Cheers

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Although I don’t have the PhaseOne XT, I do have a Cambo 72/50 which allows rotation from vertical to horizontal in a manner similar to the XT (at least as best as I can tell from various snippets). I find this feature to be extremely useful as I don’t like the idea of having to take off the DB and then to reattach it in the other position. As I’ve never used the XT though, I could be wrong...

Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

I agree; I have the Cambo 1600, and the rotating back is awesome. Not having to remove the digital back in the field is worth a great deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Buchowski View Post
    Although I don’t have the PhaseOne XT, I do have a Cambo 72/50 which allows rotation from vertical to horizontal in a manner similar to the XT (at least as best as I can tell from various snippets). I find this feature to be extremely useful as I don’t like the idea of having to take off the DB and then to reattach it in the other position. As I’ve never used the XT though, I could be wrong...

Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6204 2 copy 1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	144756
    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Is the grip made out of Crayon or wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Is the grip made out of Crayon or wax?

The Cambo grips are typically Rosewood (lighter) or Ebony (darker) hardwood. This is of course the Ebony. Or Burnt Sienna, in the crayola box.

Steve Hendeix/CI
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alatreille View Post
    By allowing the entire camera plate to rotate (with the shifting dials) my guess (Steve, please correct or chime in here) is that the system doesn't care if the back is in horizontal or vertical orientation, it records the movements as positive or negative regardless of X or Y.
    A
    Your's is a good question so I just tested, and looked at how C1 is handling the movements with rotation...

First, the way the camera records movements, the top dial is for lateral shifts in Landscape orientation and let's call it the "X-dial" and the right-side dial for vertical movements in Landscape orientation let's call it the "Y-dial". What's really nice is that they are located well under one's thumb when holding the handle, so one can easily shift in 4 directions by only moving the thumb and rolling either dial, and all while keeping the index finger on the shutter button.

Here's how the camera is accounting for the +/- movements. In Landscape orientation moving the DB down for rise is recorded as a "+Y" (+ actually doesn't appear) and the DB moving left for a right shift is a "-X" (the - does appear). In Portrait orientation, when the DB moves down, the "X-dial" (is now the vertical movement dial) records the same +/- info as in Landscape orientation; i.e., a downward movement of the DB is recorded as "+X" (not Y), and a left movement for a right shift of the Y-dial is recorded as a "-Y".

*So what the camera is not doing is switching the vertical to Y and lateral to X to account for the 90-degree rotation, but it is appropriately honoring the +/- movements.

So because of the X,Y not switching when the orientation goes from Landscape to Portrait, how does C1 handle the movements when the camera was rotated...?

The X,Y movements shown on the DB are as though the back is in Landscape orientation; i.e., X = lateral shifts using the dial on the camera body's top, and Y = rise/fall using the dial on the XT's right side, and the amount of movements appears in C1 in the Lens Corrections > Movements (but are not dimmed so one can change) in the corresponding X, Y boxes.

As described above, if the XT is rotated to Portrait orientation, the X-dial is now on the left side of the camera body for rise/fall but it still records an X movement, and the Y-dial now on top for lateral shifts still records a Y movement. And, in C1 the X and Y same movements are recorded as such. BUT, in a Portrait oriented image in C1, I found by altering the recorded X movement, it corrects for the rise/fall as one would hope, and same for the Y movement, it now corrects for lateral movements. So while they appear as X and Y, which we are accustomed to understanding since childhood math class as lateral and vertical respectively, the actual corrections are switched in C1 for Portrait oriented images.

Considered from a different perspective, what the camera is not doing is switching the dials' X,Y record, such that if in Portrait orientation the vertical movements would then appear in the Y. They still show up in the X, but C1 is handling the lens correction as though it had made the switch due to rotation. For further proof, I moved one of the X, Y dials off of 0, and then while still in LV rotated the camera and the movement remained in the same X or Y.

In thinking about how P1 chose the treatment of the X,Y, it makes sense to me for the camera to honor the dials rather than the orientation, and let C1 handle the movements for corrections. If an X-dial movement in Portrait orientation suddenly appeared as a Y vertical movement, yet made with the X-dial, I, for one, would get really confused!

Not sure if this answers your question, but it caused me to learn how the camera and C1 interact with rotation and movements, and I consider the outcome to be positive.

_Robert
    Website

PhaseOne . Arca-Swiss . Mamiya . Hasselblad . Leica . Canon . iPhone
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post