The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XT Camera Revelations and Considerations

Paul Spinnler

Wow they want $9000 for that old film-era 70mm Rodenstock?!!
it's one of the better film era Roddies, but it's still a very old design, not up to modern digital standards, let alone 150mp.
(Yes I have owned and used, 50, 60, 70,and 90mm Rod's)

Phase really should have had the clout to commission a special new Rodenstock lens.

And why not the 50mm f4? That's one of Rodenstock's best digital lenses.
That's interesting: Narikin, which in your view aree the sharpest?

I understand that the:

138 will be crazy sharp
90 is very sharp
and then what is the best of the best in the Rodie world below that, considering also ability to shift?

Thank you

Steve Hendrix

Leaving off any swing or tilt is a bit surprising.

Use it in all my wides. Tilt.

Love the look and built in shutter.

Cost delta for the P1 mount at around 4.5K per lens is a disappointing issue.

No mention of adapting older Schneider’s.

No mention of the 90 HRSW.

Longer lens with back extensions? 90mm. 120mm. 180mm

Paul C

The lens cost is actually lower than the cost for the same lens in Sinar/Rodenstock eShutter 250.

Phase One has stated they will take requests for additional lenses. 90HR would certainly be an option. Schneider's would have to be converted to XT lens, for full compatibility.

Longer lenses may be possible (there won't be an extension to the back because it must communicate electronically with the rear of the camera).

Steve Hendrix/CI

narikin

That's interesting: Narikin, which in your view aree the sharpest?

I understand that the:

138 will be crazy sharp
90 is very sharp
and then what is the best of the best in the Rodie world below that, considering also ability to shift?

Thank you
They should have had the 50mm in there - big gap from 32 to 70mm.
Very wide to extreme wide is covered, (23 & 32mm) but nothing in between, no moderate-wide walk about option.
The 70mm is really a 'standard' focal length for this format. =50mm in 35mm.

The 50/f4 would be my first choice.
Some sort of 45mm? 55mm?

That said I presume the 50mm will be in the release pipeline.

Steve Hendrix

Wow they want $9000 for that old film-era 70mm Rodenstock?!!
it's one of the better film era Roddies, but it's still a very old design, not up to modern digital standards, let alone 150mp.
(Yes I have owned and used, 50, 60, 70,and 90mm Rod's)

Phase really should have had the clout to commission a special new Rodenstock lens.

And why not the 50mm f4? That's one of Rodenstock's best digital lenses.

Maybe they have! :rolleyes:

Regarding the 50mm, keep in mind these 3 are just starting points.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Paul2660

90 HR magenta band? Or 90 HRSW yellow band?

HR will work on most without a back extension but most mounts need the back extension for the 90 HRSW.

I guess the 138 can work without a back extension as shown in pictures.

Paul C

Steve Hendrix

90 HR magenta band? Or 90 HRSW yellow band?

HR will work on most without a back extension but most mounts need the back extension for the 90 HRSW.

I guess the 138 can work without a back extension as shown in pictures.

Paul C

I think these will come, the back extension helps with minimizing vignetting, but given the limited movement (relative to other tech cameras), that may not be an issue if they front load it.

Steve Hendrix/CI

gerald.d

Longer lenses may be possible (there won't be an extension to the back because it must communicate electronically with the rear of the camera).

Steve Hendrix/CI
This doesn’t really make sense.

Manufacturing an extender with the necessary connections at either end, with conductors running through the length of the extender, should be relative child’s play compared to what has been delivered here.

Heck. It wouldn’t take a lot to build in a little bit of logic to communicate the length of the extender to the back and “shutter brain”.

/edit... isn’t this effectively exactly what the camera itself provides to enable comms between the back and the lens/shutter unit?

Steve Hendrix

This doesn’t really make sense.

Manufacturing an extender with the necessary connections at either end, with conductors running through the length of the extender, should be relative child’s play compared to what has been delivered here.

Heck. It wouldn’t take a lot to build in a little bit of logic to communicate the length of the extender to the back and “shutter brain”.

/edit... isn’t this effectively exactly what the camera itself provides to enable comms between the back and the lens/shutter unit?

Well, I agree potentially. I just haven't heard anything about a rear extender, and it may not be necessary, if vignetting does not cut in from the 12mm movement.

Steve Hendrix/CI

f8orbust

I wish the shutter was in the body like Alpa's FPS. Having to buy an eShutter with every tech cam lens is a pain in the wallet, especially when the ES on the IQ4 itself is pretty good, and getting better with every generation.

med

**removed** oooops.... Gerald beat me to it! Should have read the whole thread before commenting.

med

No mention of adapting older Schneider’s.

Paul C
The "What you need to know" page does mention "This shutter will be available Q2 of 2020 for third party vendors and lenses. " which I suppose opens the door to custom mounting old Schneider lenses, or other Rodenstock lenses as well.

JeRuFo

Regarding the 50mm, keep in mind these 3 are just starting points.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Yes, but that does limit the appeal for a lot of people probably. When launching a DSLR the approach of only offering a zoom at first kind of works, but with a tech cam people often only use one or two lenses and if your bread and butter lens is not one of these three lenses, then the whole system doesn't make sense for now.

stngoldberg

As all who read this site know this XT discussion is taking place on two threads-one with Doug and one with Steve.
Both threads contain similar information and varied comments, but one issue that has been left unaddressed is the lack of Tilt which happens to be one the major reasons that I use a technical camera.
There are so many occasions when focus stacking just will not fill the bill especially outdoors in all but the most calm condition that are exempt from moving water.
Focus stacking will be useful in indoor architectural photography and this area seems to be ideal use for the XT, but the folks that make a living in architectural photography have to determine if the convenience merits the considerable cost.
For me when I carry my Arca Swiss on a strap secured to my shoulder by my quite small backpack overlapping it, I would probably transport the DT the same way
While the advertisement headlined no cables, it only takes less than a minute to attach cables to my IQ3 100.
It is still necessary to measure the distance with my Leica laser on both setups
Even with the new BSI technology, I would most likely use on LCC when shifting...again only a few seconds!
So I struggle with the new concept introduced today from a convenience perspective and without Tilt (which I use on every image) I would have difficulty
investing.
Stanley

Steve Hendrix

The "What you need to know" page does mention "This shutter will be available Q2 of 2020 for third party vendors and lenses. " which I suppose opens the door to custom mounting old Schneider lenses, or other Rodenstock lenses as well.
Yes, potentially.

I have the feeling that it will not be a case of just any lens, but seeing that the 23HR can fit (which is only available in Long Barrel for Alpa users, and is not offered in Tilt/Swing mount for existing Cambo WRS users), I am optimistic that Schneider lenses (some of which also are only available in long barrel mount) will also be able to fit via conversion.

Yes, but that does limit the appeal for a lot of people probably. When launching a DSLR the approach of only offering a zoom at first kind of works, but with a tech cam people often only use one or two lenses and if your bread and butter lens is not one of these three lenses, then the whole system doesn't make sense for now.
I can see this limiting the appeal to some. But I cannot remember the last time I sold a tech camera system + one starter lens to anyone where the starter lens was not a wide. If I had my preference to pick 3 lenses, I would have rather had the 40HR in the mix vs the 70HR. Many are going to be happy starting with the 32HR, but the 40HR would have been a nice part of the mix. It does take time to produce the data for these lenses, but I am confident that more will be added soon.

As all who read this site know this XT discussion is taking place on two threads-one with Doug and one with Steve.
Both threads contain similar information and varied comments, but one issue that has been left unaddressed is the lack of Tilt which happens to be one the major reasons that I use a technical camera.
There are so many occasions when focus stacking just will not fill the bill especially outdoors in all but the most calm condition that are exempt from moving water.
Focus stacking will be useful in indoor architectural photography and this area seems to be ideal use for the XT, but the folks that make a living in architectural photography have to determine if the convenience merits the considerable cost.
For me when I carry my Arca Swiss on a strap secured to my shoulder by my quite small backpack overlapping it, I would probably transport the DT the same way
While the advertisement headlined no cables, it only takes less than a minute to attach cables to my IQ3 100.
It is still necessary to measure the distance with my Leica laser on both setups
Even with the new BSI technology, I would most likely use on LCC when shifting...again only a few seconds!
So I struggle with the new concept introduced today from a convenience perspective and without Tilt (which I use on every image) I would have difficulty
investing.
Stanley
Hi Stanley - while I think this camera and shutter are the start of something great for technical camera lovers, it is not for everyone (is any product for everyone?). And if tilt is really important, then at least for now, there is not a tilt option for the 3 current lenses. This could change with additional lenses (not sure about these, but I don't want to rule that out, save for the 23HR, I am doubtful of that one).

Time will tell. In the meantime, you have the opportunity to wait and see how things develop with regard to tilt and other emerging news with this system.

Steve Hendrix/CI

stngoldberg

It is appropriate for me to say to both Doug and Steve how much I appreciate their candor and obvious integrity while they both point out the merits of their newest product
Stanley