The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XT Camera Revelations and Considerations

Steve Hendrix

gerald.d

A very well written - and most importantly, well balanced - "Holy Grail" article.

For anyone not already invested in a tech/field camera system, and who is in the market for one, this is a very compelling solution.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Steve Hendrix

A very well written - and most importantly, well balanced - "Holy Grail" article.

For anyone not already invested in a tech/field camera system, and who is in the market for one, this is a very compelling solution.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Thank you Gerald.

Steve Hendrix/CI

gerald.d

Rather sobering to think that the total price of the system (with the 32HR) is $65,000.

Or will there be bundle deals when bought with the back?

Steve Hendrix

Rather sobering to think that the total price of the system (with the 32HR) is $65,000.

Or will there be bundle deals when bought with the back?

The bundle price is $56,990, a significant improvement over buying individually.

$5,990 - XT Body

$11,990 - 23HR Lens X

$11,990 - 32HR Lens X

$8,990 - 70HR Lens X

$46,990 - IQ4 150

Steve Hendrix/CI

gerald.d

how much for a kit? back/body/3 lenses?
Well if you go off the list prices, that would bring it to $86K, but based on what I've heard recently, I would imagine that you would get a hefty amount off that.

It's a shame there is no transparency on "true" pricing of Phase One products.

gerald.d

The bundle price is $56,990, a slight improvement over buying individually.

$5,990 - XT Body

$11,990 - 23HR Lens X

$11,990 - 32HR Lens X

$8,990 - 70HR Lens X

$46,990 - IQ4 150

Steve Hendrix/CI
Ahh ok, that seems a fair enough starting point before trade-in/negotiation opportunities ;)

Steve Hendrix

Thanks Steve.
One question comes to mind; How about compatibility with IQ3 backs?

IQ3 lacks the horsepower of the IQ4 to optimally provide a shutter controlling capability internally.

But critically, it also it lacks the 2 power pins that the 12 pin port of the IQ4 provide.

Steve Hendrix/CI

gerald.d

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Been pondering this, and I think - sadly - this is going to pretty much kill off demand for the ALPA TC, STC, and SWA.

The marginal (when looking at the total system price) increase in cost for the lenses and camera body of the XT are more than compensated for by the benefits it brings.

I'm not sure how "open" the platform is for using other lenses, but possibly will also significantly eat into the FPS market.

:(

*edit
D'oh. No of course it won't - no shutter in the camera :D

Pemihan

IQ3 lacks the horsepower of the IQ4 to optimally provide a shutter controlling capability internally.

But critically, it also it lacks the 2 power pins that the 12 pin port of the IQ4 provide.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Well I guess I'll just stick to my "old" WRS 1250 then.
But I find it hard to believe that they couldn't incorporate some of the features like for instance shift info into IQ3.

Last edited:

PeterA

Thanks for the information Steve - fantastic piece of kit - especially for those invested in iQ4 backs. Kudos to Phase One .

Paul2660

Leaving off any swing or tilt is a bit surprising.

Use it in all my wides. Tilt.

Love the look and built in shutter.

Cost delta for the P1 mount at around 4.5K per lens is a disappointing issue.

No mention of adapting older Schneider’s.

No mention of the 90 HRSW.

Longer lens with back extensions? 90mm. 120mm. 180mm

Paul C

MrSmith

the shutter technology sounds interesting.
not for my business but i’m sure there’s a fairly decent sized market for it.

narikin

The bundle price is $56,990, a significant improvement over buying individually.

$5,990 - XT Body

$11,990 - 23HR Lens X

$11,990 - 32HR Lens X

$8,990 - 70HR Lens X

Steve Hendrix/CI
Wow they want $9000 for that old film-era 70mm Rodenstock?!!
it's one of the better film era Roddies, but it's still a very old design, not up to modern digital standards, let alone 150mp.
(Yes I have owned and used, 50, 60, 70,and 90mm Rod's)

Phase really should have had the clout to commission a special new Rodenstock lens.

And why not the 50mm f4? That's one of Rodenstock's best digital lenses.