The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Query regarding value. Taking first steps into Digital Medium Format.

Godfrey

I've just wanted to remind the OP has a low budget. That's why Hasselblad X1D or Phase One IQ are not his options. If he has unlimited funding, the XCD II may be his great choice.
This may be true. But ... If you can't afford to play in MFD, well, you can't. I can barely afford to, and mostly because I don't need to justify it on my business balance sheet. I can't think of any way to get in and familiar with using MFD, seeing what it can do for your photography, other than buying in—one way or another—and using it.

What's most useful for a 'newbie' to the game is stuff like your subsequent post, relating the experience you had owning similar equipment. From a point of getting your feet wet and learning the basics of MFD use, a $3000 system purchase is pretty inexpensive ... But if it isn't reliable and has a ton of hidden issues, it's probably not wise to go with that particular one.

My buddy went with a P45+ back for his Hasselblad because he could afford it (at the price he paid of $1200) and learn. He's made some great headway using it and knows what he'd prefer now (a CFV50c II back for the same camera, presuming it lives up to what its spec says). I'm leaping for the same, but adding the 907x body and xcd21 native lens because that's what's going to give me what I am looking for—I hope. A month or two from now and I'll know much more. :D

This is why I separate the notions of value and cost. They're not the same thing.

G

vjbelle

That being said, there is something romantic about medium format for me. While I may not necessarily use it in a professional sense, seeing the limitations of the <$5k systems, I might go ahead and save up some more for a GFX!
You will not regret buying a 50MP GFX. I own one, and also have owned the stuff you are contemplating and also the current 4150 and a ton of Tech lenses. IMHO you just can't go wrong and should have a long hard look into any GFX.

Victor

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Value in MFD is overstatement!

I've been using the Hasselblad HCD and all Phase One (P and then IQ1, 2, 3) and currently IQ4150.

I've never sold my pictures so I'd never felt the cost of MFD was justified until the Fuji GFX/GF came out. The price for the entire system, one camera and 5 lenses (second hand) is just only slightly more than one tech cam lens, Rodenstock 23mm, 32mm or 90mm HR SW.

Competition is good! Fuji've brought down the price of the X1D II and CFV 50c II to more affordable level. I bought CFV 50c for almost $13, 000 (with trade) several years ago!

I am not a Fuji fanboy as I've been using almost everything but I have to praise them to make the MFD more affordable.

As a Phase One customer, the Fuji will make the price of the future Phase One significantly lower. Hasselblad X1D II and CFV 50c II are good examples.

It's a win-win situation!

Thanks to Fuji and Hasselblad!

This may be true. But ... If you can't afford to play in MFD, well, you can't. I can barely afford to, and mostly because I don't need to justify it on my business balance sheet. I can't think of any way to get in and familiar with using MFD, seeing what it can do for your photography, other than buying in—one way or another—and using it.

What's most useful for a 'newbie' to the game is stuff like your subsequent post, relating the experience you had owning similar equipment. From a point of getting your feet wet and learning the basics of MFD use, a $3000 system purchase is pretty inexpensive ... But if it isn't reliable and has a ton of hidden issues, it's probably not wise to go with that particular one.

My buddy went with a P45+ back for his Hasselblad because he could afford it (at the price he paid of $1200) and learn. He's made some great headway using it and knows what he'd prefer now (a CFV50c II back for the same camera, presuming it lives up to what its spec says). I'm leaping for the same, but adding the 907x body and xcd21 native lens because that's what's going to give me what I am looking for—I hope. A month or two from now and I'll know much more. :D

This is why I separate the notions of value and cost. They're not the same thing.

G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
You will not regret buying a 50MP GFX. I own one, and also have owned the stuff you are contemplating and also the current 4150 and a ton of Tech lenses. IMHO you just can't go wrong and should have a long hard look into any GFX.

Victor
Important disclaimer: You will regret purchasing anything you don't like. If you don't like the GFX, you won't use it no matter how good a deal it is. If you do like it, it's a fantastic entry point.

Matt

Pradeep

That being said, there is something romantic about medium format for me. While I may not necessarily use it in a professional sense, seeing the limitations of the <$5k systems, I might go ahead and save up some more for a GFX!
Absolutely, just as there is about Leica gear. In the end it is a perceived notion, simply because it is out of the reach of most mortals. When I was growing up in India, traveling to the 'mother country', UK for 'advanced studies' was indeed a very romantic notion. However, like so many such ideas, reality is quite different as I found out.

Having said that, there is indeed a wow factor when you first get your hands on a complex system like MF, I still remember unpacking my Phase One gear with care and a certain reverence.

It is a much more expensive path as many here have said already. Thus, monetary value is much lower. Whether it adds to your creativity will depend upon how you use it and how happy it makes you, in the end that is the real value.

I've been through two MFs and two Leicas and it is a different experience from other FF bodies. It depends upon what kind of photography you do. From your original post, it seems like this may work for you since you are not, like me are into wildlife or birds and can take your time to compose and shoot, adjust, reposition, shoot again. For me it was not a positive experience, but I guess it was as much my own impatience and need for faster performance - among other things - that was the challenge.

DougDolde

I owned several medium format kits over the years. Started with a Kodak DCS Pro back on a Contax 645. Later upgraded the back to a Leaf Aptus 75S. Then I bought a Phase One IQ140 and then an IQ180.

I've moved to a Nikon D850 and all I can say is good riddance to medium format digital

I owned several medium format kits over the years. Started with a Kodak DCS Pro back on a Contax 645. Later upgraded the back to a Leaf Aptus 75S. Then I bought a Phase One IQ140 and then an IQ180.

I've moved to a Nikon D850 and all I can say is good riddance to medium format digital
You sound like you need a hug.

Here's a big reassuring hug to you from Dante.

:grin:

dave.gt

Doug,

I am curious. Why do you continue to post negative, argumentative and trolling comments? You are a very good photographer, and nothing is to be gained with a contrarian attitude, so you really should simply allow others to enjoy posting in this community without purposely trying to cause problems.

That said, may you have a better evening and a great weekend.:)

Godfrey

Sounds like MFD didn't work out for you. Rather than just be negative and obnoxious about it, what specifically didn't work for you? What were you trying to do with MFD? And so forth...

G

Shashin

These answers have been incredibly helpful, and I've taken a step back to reconsider, this forum may as well have saved me a lot of money and heartache! I'm based in New Zealand; and I asked the question just after midnight! I want to thank everyone for their input. I think I've definitely taken the wrong approach; if I'm asking questions about value I haven't put enough thought into whether MF will truly benefit my professional career. Surprisingly, I have had clients ask whether I use a medium format system; but in the end; even if I have said no, its never really affected me in getting the job; I had this idea in mind that my portfolio was just getting stale; and thought the benefits of MF could really take it to the next level. Guess it's the gearhead in me!

I have an MFD camera and it is a wonderful machine. I have completed many projects with it, including two book length projects. Right now my most used camera is an APS-C. A Fuji X Pro2 and the Fuji point and shoot XF10. I am not say the APS-C is the same technical quality as my MFD, not even close, but its other qualities, like portability, are. The the quality is sufficient for what I am doing.

If you want a technical camera experience without going whole hog to MFD, you could get a Cambo Actus and use a Sony alpha-series mirrorless (there are other 35mm cameras that can be used, but check for movements and lens compatibility). You would need some lenses, but those can be Hasselblad V series, Pentax 645, Mamiya, or enlarger lenses. None are particularly expensive.

Just to be clear, I do not work for Cambo. :LOL: I have simply been doing some research in mating my Fuji with my Pentax 645 lenses to get movements. The Actus is not that much more than a 35mm tilt/shift lens and far more flexible.

We also get that it is greener in other pastures, at least until you get there. But as you recognize, the photographer is a better determinant to the success of a photograph than the gear. (And be careful here: we LOVE spending other people's money...)