The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format and Coffee

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Apparently some here take Dante's Inferno to heart and have applied lessons learned from Medium Format Digital to other aspects of their lives. :thumbup:

I need to step up my coffee-game.

;)
If my wife would tolerate its height, I would have a professional lever machine. Half the price, quiet, and tasty espresso! Next kitchen remodel...

Last edited:

MrSmith

A friend of mine owns a magazine called ‘Caffeine’ and I have shot many a cover and feature in the past, I’m also a coffee aficionado and working for the mag over the years has given me a taste for Ethiopian natural processed beans and Panama Geisha (especially when it’s free :) )
I have also shot for coffee machine manufacturers from links gained shooting for the coffee mag.

Last week we shot at a cannabis farm for a feature on CBD coffee, will share the images one evening they have been published.

Too many images to post from past issues, a few of them are found here: www.garysmithphoto.com

cerett

It is interesting... never thought about those who have stomach issues with coffee. The caffeine does make pit stops a necessity and that is why I like a single or double shot espresso early... not much liquid :pto carry around.

And a scone.:cool: or otherwise sweet delight. Like an acoustic guitar, certain simple pleasures are to be enjoyed frequently!!!

Craig's heavenly delight is a joy to behold. And Ken, what kind of coffee(s) were you offering to the gang? :) That is a sight to behold early in the morning.:thumbup:
Not to get too far off the subject, but as a physician, photographer and coffee drinker, I can tell you that the gastrocolic reflex is a powerful one, especially when initiated by caffeine. Enough said.

anyone

For me, minimalism suits well, and I go for filter coffee: a good hand-grinder (with adjustable ceramic discs), a filter-holder (my choice is Hario), and filter paper. Also the right pot is needed to pour the water evenly over the coffee. And then I like micro-lots of coffee which are not mixed together, but come from one farmer. Picture to follow :)

Massive Si

there is no perfect solution

What works for a lunchtime cup is often not what I'd want at 6am - namely noise and faffing about with grinding, tamping, ensuring correct bar pressure etc etc

grinders always make a mess, no matter how much you spend.
then there is always a risk you become one of "them"; someone who talks about extraction, milk texture and process to everyone else who couldnt care less as long as its hot and tastes ok ;)

all in all, the best machine I found to cover most of what I need is the DeLonghi Magnifica bean to cup

1 button, auto grind, nice crema and very little mess - if looked after, will last for many years with daily use

jng

I've been enjoying my Pasquini machines for years. With apologies for the quality of this iPhone snap (and for the afficianados among you, yes the shot is blonding but a leaky gasket that I've been too busy to fix prevents me from packing the basket with an appropriate amount of coffee), here's the little Livietta that sits on my kitchen counter.

IMG_4276.JPG

This little guy's big sister Livia does duty at work and bears the following inscription on its side:

For Music - Puccini
For Art - Bernini
For Espresso - Pasquini

Gotta love it.

Thanks, Dave, for keeping things light, interesting and human around these parts.

John

vjbelle

I'm game...... I would be lost without my morning espresso's. I don't drink coffee much anymore but when I do I prefer to use an aeropress. The grinders are dedicated with the left for espresso and the right for coffee.

Dave..... try an aeropress as it makes a spectacular cup of coffee and it has a cult following.

Victor

Attachments

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member

What works for a lunchtime cup is often not what I'd want at 6am - namely noise and faffing about with grinding, tamping, ensuring correct bar pressure etc etc

then there is always a risk you become one of "them"; someone who talks about extraction, milk texture and process to everyone else who couldnt care less as long as its hot and tastes ok ;)

all in all, the best machine I found to cover most of what I need is the DeLonghi Magnifica bean to cup

1 button, auto grind, nice crema and very little mess - if looked after, will last for many years with daily use
Despite my rather silly gear, the ONLY thing that matters is "does it taste good?" I also have trouble with the digital refractometer crowd, but if they enjoy it, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . I've had good coffee from a large boiling pot of water with coffee grounds in it. (Cowboy coffee).

Come to think of it, the parallels with photography are striking. The calculations and measurements may be fun, they may be helpful, fancy equipment may help (or hinder), but in the end, what matters is that you have a good picture.

Matt

dave.gt

Victor, wow! That looks professional and divine all at once.:):):)

So, an Aeropress... more homework piling up!!!:thumbup:

dave.gt

I've been enjoying my Pasquini machines for years. With apologies for the quality of this iPhone snap (and for the afficianados among you, yes the shot is blonding but a leaky gasket that I've been too busy to fix prevents me from packing the basket with an appropriate amount of coffee), here's the little Livietta that sits on my kitchen counter.

View attachment 144138

This little guy's big sister Livia does duty at work and bears the following inscription on its side:

For Music - Puccini
For Art - Bernini
For Espresso - Pasquini

Gotta love it.

Thanks, Dave, for keeping things light, interesting and human around these parts.

John
Thanks, John, :salute:

Music.
Art.
Espresso.

Pick two. Be happy!!! But I would miss a coffee of any type for my quiet time each morning.:grin:

Pelorus

This is a very serious matter with a very simple answer. We have no bench space for a full blown coffee machine, but we both like a really good espresso. The answer therefore is the the Portaspresso Rossa. Team that up with a simple old fashioned grinder like the Mazzer Super Jolly or for a completely portable solution the Orphan Espresso Lido and you have the bees knees of coffee. If you need milk then get a Bellman.
This is the result.

(I can't remember how to post pics :( )

anyone

This is a very serious matter with a very simple answer. We have no bench space for a full blown coffee machine, but we both like a really good espresso. The answer therefore is the the Portaspresso Rossa. Team that up with a simple old fashioned grinder like the Mazzer Super Jolly or for a completely portable solution the Orphan Espresso Lido and you have the bees knees of coffee. If you need milk then get a Bellman.
This is the result.

(I can't remember how to post pics :( )
Really interesting concept. I never saw this one. Doesn't seem to be available in Europe. I also like good Espresso, but couldn't afford a decent machine, neither cost- nor space-wise. Would love to try it out!

Pelorus

Ross, the guy who makes the Portaspresso is in Gladstone in Queensland, Australia. He makes every part and the waiting time can be 2-3 months, but they are a work of art. Email him. The espresso we make at home with the Rossa is at least the equal of anything that you can buy in Melbourne...and Melbourne is the coffee capital of Australia. Great, freshly roasted, beans are important. We've got some excellent PNG beans at the moment.

Really interesting concept. I never saw this one. Doesn't seem to be available in Europe. I also like good Espresso, but couldn't afford a decent machine, neither cost- nor space-wise. Would love to try it out!

Mexecutioner

Really great thread, thanks for posting images of your setups and sharing your daily routines.

I am a French press guy, I use the Bodum ones. I keep one at home and one at work and for me getting the right beans roasted within a couple days has been key. I also have two grinders, for home/work and I am very particular about the grind and the amount of coffee I put into the press. I like consistency so I always weigh the coffee that will go in the press. I have my 4-cup prescription every morning and it always makes me feel amazing.

I had an espresso machine for about 7 or 8 years that worked admirably, failed once and had it repaired but when it went kaput the second time I figured it was time to invest in a new one sinxe the cost of repairing it made no sense. I never got to revisit the idea as I get very good results with the french press so my guess is that I may not get another one. My wife does not drink coffee any longer so the motivation to replace the machine has somewhat diluted.

Besides, I would not have a crema before getting in the car to go to work as the risk of being on the freeway for 45 minutes is way too high. After a couple of close calls I had to discontinue that practice and wait until I am at my office. The roaster where I get my beans from is closer to work, so I have it there when I restock.

dchew

Ah yes...

But I don't like the grinder so much, and it is getting pretty long in the tooth. I am thinking of getting a separate grinder and an Aeropress to try something different. I just need to research grinders. Are hand grinders worth anything?

Dave

dave.gt

Hmmm..,

I wonder if Dante would put in a good word for me at Starbucks on National Coffee Day? A Latte would be a nice birthday surprise!:ROTFL:

dave.gt

And just for fun.., not MFD but lifestyle related:

a video I love to watch simply because it has a Leica, a Harley Davidson, a beautiful mountain setting, and.... espresso!

Can you find them all?

https://vimeo.com/54009835

If one is allowed to have a dream, this is one for me.:thumbup: