Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Medium Format and Coffee

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Medium Format and Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I think this trend has revolutionised coffee and resulted in a better product, coffee is a fruit, coffee cherries are picked not beans (it’s this outer layer that makes for ‘natural’ processed coffees) floral fruity notes are an improvement on burnt bitter ashy ones. That said a well pulled robusta espresso from an Italian train station cafe is still something to enjoy.

Thing is a lot of roasting used to have very little in the way of profiling and was just taken to first crack and beyond, now it’s more of an art/science and resulting in a more refined product.

Burnt over roasted commodity coffee isn’t going to go away, it’s 99% of the coffee business but seeing as this forum is at the 1% of image making then it’s only fitting to look at high grade coffee as defined by the SCA
    I’ll always go for a good complex dark roast over floral and fruity, the coffee cherry’s natural soul be damned. I’d rather get fruity from tea or wine, but I don’t tell people what they like is wrong. And between a Starbucks French roast and third wave, of course I'd rather have the latter.

Refinement of taste is good. What I don’t like is the takeover by light roasts and relegation of darker roasts to mass market and ignoramus status in most of the west. “Good” coffee places in China have followed suit while Japan’s traditional roasters keep doing their thing. Korea is similar to Japan in my experience.

In Asia they’ve had fruity and floral in tea forever. They don’t need that from coffee.

In central Berlin you basically can't find a non-sour cup of "good" (I'm not even sure it's that good; it's more like hipster) coffee. You have to either suffer Starbucks or equivalents or go out to an area where older people live who remember how coffee used to taste, like Dahlem.

Time for good dark roasts to make a comeback, especially as you say roasting is now also much more sophisticated. Bitter and nutty have their own textures.
    Last edited by aly324; 16th September 2019 at 06:58.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mristuccia View Post
    Once upon a time I tried the "third way" coffee,
    Never, ever, ever more. Definitely not for me.
    I don't disagree, but it's likely you got a bad shot. It's very hard to get something tasty from "third wave" coffee, but it's not impossible. Personally, I'm a darker roast fan - with steamed milk. Fortunately, there are still some roasters out there who agree.

I tried roasting for a while, but it's hard to do in an apartment building (smoke - lot's of smoke!). You can do it in a frying pan, with a popcorn popper, or an inexpensive home roaster. It's much less expensive to roast your own, assuming you don't go in for a professional roasting machine. Then you quickly approach Phase One territory.

Apologies for the constant . I love sharing information, and often go into professor mode.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not such an expert or anything on coffee, but I do find that it is quite essential on a (cold) sunrise shoot, it is both comforting and energy boosting. I just fill up my own mini thermos with some home made filter coffee and I'm good to go. These days I seldom go out without my cupholder as long as I don't have to be too conscious about weight.

Don't any of you bring your coffee on your shoots?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tripod Coffee Cup Holder.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	808.8 KB 
ID:	144164
    Binbin

f/13 photography
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now I'm happy again with my machines. A bit of cleaning made a good new start.

Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  223.3 KB

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  258.6 KB

I picked up some decaf espresso roast from the local supermarket and the taste was pleasant when judging the first experiments.
    The real bonus is that my stomach is not upset by these decaffeinated shots.

Satisfied and happy again
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bialetti? Approved!
    But this is not espresso, this is moka. Great taste, and wonderful smell all over the rooms by the way.
    Enjoy!
    "Bialetti Moka Espresso Maker" is simply the name. It's a stovetop espresso maker, see Wikipedia for a history of this device:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

My problem with my beloved Bialetti now is that it's aluminum and when the kitchen was renovated I put in an induction stove top. I'm on the hunt for a Bialetti in stainless steel now...

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

My problem with my beloved Bialetti now is that it's aluminum and when the kitchen was renovated I put in an induction stove top.
    What happened ?
    My machine is my second, the first was an ECM and the boiler and thermostat went amok and to my very disappontment the model was discontinued with no spare parts so after two trips to a repair shop it went to metal junk.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-16 um 22.20.45.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	144167

Latest Melitta Coffee machine and Agfa Medium Format camera with fix focus :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    To put these beasts in Camera terms, the machine is Leica M10 territory, and the grinder is Sony A7RIII.

Yes, it's a snapshot with an X1D

Matt
    A Monolith grinder by Denis Basaric. Most excellent. I knew there was a reason I liked you Matt. I have owned several ďtitan grinders,Ē but none approaches the Monolith. I have both the flat and conical versions that I use with my Slayer and Speedster machines. I may have to take a pic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Slayer and Speedster! Those are beautiful machines. I enjoy the profilings possible with the manual GS/3, but you have to pay attention. If I donít get a lever, my next machine will be programmable!

The Monoliths are, indeed, great. Part of me still wants a Robur, just as part of me wants to shoot 8x10 film. Fortunately, the rest of me has SOME sense (no offense to 8x10 shooters. You guys rock, but I canít do it.)

Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinN View Post
    What happened ?
    For me? Aluminum does not heat on an induction cooktop. Needs to be magnetically active metal....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    When I do make coffee, I mix 50% regular + 50% decaf and I grind the beans.

Great conversation thread!

Kind regards,
    Darr
    Roasted dandelion roots make an excellent coffee substitute.
    i

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by beano_z View Post
    These days I seldom go out without my cupholder as long as I don't have to be too conscious about weight.

Don't any of you bring your coffee on your shoots?
    And people thought I was joking about that...
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Roasted dandelion roots make an excellent coffee substitute.
    i
    Thanks Will!
    On my shopping list.
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is my home set-up.
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    And people thought I was joking about that...
    Well, it turned out to be a great suggestion, and I thank you for that! The only (minor) downside is that during long exposure, when my coffee is sitting in the cupholder, I'm not able to take it out because of the vibration it'll create
    Binbin

f/13 photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post

This is my home set-up.
    Beautiful shot of two classics! Does your coffee equipment live in a studio?

Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful shot of two classics! Does your coffee equipment live in a studio?

Matt

Hahahhaha - no just some selective framing...-

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Tea

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Size:	479.4 KB 
ID:	144181

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My home espresso setup.

Name:	espresso.jpg 
Size:	487.3 KB 
ID:	144195
    http://Www.deployant.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Impressed!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, catastrophe averted somewhat.

In order to provide the coffee experience for the two of us, I decided to initially get the Keurig simply because the coffee(s) I like are too strong for my bride and I can pick up the Bialetti this weekend.

Compromise and caffeine fixed.

Now, I have been reading, and I noticed that no one mentioned the importance of water! I do not trust tap water... perhaps because of my civil engineering background. We have used bottled water for a long time around the house. But now... microplastics! What to do?

Filtered water?
    Last edited by dave.gt; 21st September 2019 at 02:18.
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

I use a Berkey filtration system, and IMO, the best for the price!
    My water taste so good! Even better than our expensive *customized* whole house system we had in Miami previously.

Kind regards,
    Darr
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post

In order to provide the coffee experience for the two of us, I decided to initially get the Keurig simply because the coffee(s) I like are too strong for my bride and I can pick up the Bialetti this weekend.

Now, I have been reading, and unnoticed that no one mentioned the importance of water! I do not trust tap water... perhaps because of my civil engineering background. We have used bottled water for a long time around the house. But now... microplastics! What to do?

Filtered water?
    Well Dave, you have fallen into my area of expertise. I’ve spent my whole career treating everything from residential, industrial to municipal water, both drinking water and wastewater. I assume you are on Atlanta City water...? Here is your water quality report:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iB2...Uz_m82QyD/view

That will tell you a lot of info about your drinking water quality. As for treatment specifically for coffee, there are a few things to consider. First, your water comes from the Chattahoochee River, which means it is surface water, not ground water from wells. In general, surface water isn’t very hard, so whatever coffee machine you get should be ok with normal cleaning to avoid scale build up. Note that report does not include hardness because it is not a contaminant they are required to report. They do measure it so if you dig a bit I’m sure you can find it. Probably a few grains hard at most (<35ppm).

That leaves you with taste and odor left to deal with. For most people, that simply means removing chlorine. Just about every “point of use” system (POU) on the market, whether it is a simple Brita, the little filter on the back of your fridge or a more robust reverse osmosis system under your sink will include a carbon filter to remove chlorine and it’s associated taste. All of them should do a reasonable job removing that taste.

There are a host of other waterborne contaminants that various filters/systems remove from lead to Trihalomethane (THM) /haloacetic acid (HAC), MTBE, cysts, etc, etc. The only one that exists in your water to any appreciable level is HAC and THM. These come from the chlorination process. As chlorine does it’s work, it breaks down organics that naturally exist in the river. Those partially broken down byproducts are THMs. Many cities have trouble with that.

The one thing I tell people: if you are going to treat your water with any POU system, make sure you change the filter! Especially those tiny fridge filters, which I hate. The new refrigerators are not so bad because they now give you a way to change the filter from the front and they tell you when to change it. It’s the ones that require you to pull out the fridge I can’t stand. Just pull it off and throw it out! Carbon does a great job removing chlorine, but it also removes a bunch of other stuff. When carbon is exhausted it leaches out what was adsorbed, and your first shot of the day could be worse than what is in the raw water. So, change them religiously and don’t let them sit around unused for a month.

I prefer RO treated water, but I’m a water snob and don’t want to bother with ever having to clean the machine. Most coffee experts will tell you it is better to have a bit of hardness and TDS in the water; it makes better coffee than RO or distilled water. Atlanta City water should be pretty close to perfect in that regard. Even Starbucks (I know - eeww) has a specified range of TDS and minerals for their feed water.

Dave
    Last edited by dchew; 21st September 2019 at 01:09.
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave,...Excellent post which I have printed out and put on the kitchen wall! I never drink coffee but being English I could not survive without regular tea brews especially when having to concentrate etc. Living in S.E. England near to London our water is vile,....evil tasting and very hard.....We change the all important kettle every year or even more frequently and sand appears around the spout in a couple of days from new!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bugleone View Post
    Dave,...Excellent post which I have printed out and put on the kitchen wall! I never drink coffee but being English I could not survive without regular tea brews especially when having to concentrate etc. Living in S.E. England near to London our water is vile,....evil tasting and very hard.....We change the all important kettle every year or even more frequently and sand appears around the spout in a couple of days from new!
    Well tea is a little different story! I do think tea benefits from purified water like RO water. Do this test we call ďThe Tea TestĒ [we in the water industry are not that creative - too much regulation ]

Find some purified bottled water, not spring water. It will say something like ďpurified with reverse osmosis and...Ē Make two cups of tea right next to each other. One with your tap water and one with the purified bottled water. Look at it, and notice how lighter the purified water tea looks. Smell it; the aroma will usually be stronger and more pleasant even though it looks lighter. Now let them both sit on the counter for a few hours. If you have any hardness in your water, the tap water tea will start looking pretty nasty, while the tea made with purified water will look just like it did when you made it.

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, Dave!!!

You are so much more awake, energetic and productive early in the morning than I have been lately!!! Amazing information and much appreciated. So much comes to mind and I don't have time at the moment to even begin a discussion. But I will! Thanks!

Coffee awaits... and I will pull a bottle of water out of the pantry to make a quick cup. I can't wait to ask the first question though:

With so many bottled waters to choose from, I have been using Spring Water from Publix. I have only taste and convenience to go by and it is "better" to me than Kroger's purified water. I have no idea as I have simply not put for the time and effort to compare all the water options in regard to either objective or subjective tests.

For now... what are the "best/better" choices for bottled water? I will have a zillion questions about filtered and such later.
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave and Dave,

I used filtered water (not purified), but I add some Potassium Carbonate so get a low, but nonzero, TDS for coffee taste. My steam boiler was scale-free after 10 years of use.

I claim no expertise, but this is what the coffee site I trust advises. If I should switch to RO, I will. I guess.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

For now... what are the "best/better" choices for bottled water? I will have a zillion questions about filtered and such later.
    Just like cameras, there is no "best." I will separate bottled water into four categories:

Spring Water: spring water is ground water that flows naturally to the Earth's surface / on the ground. It has some hardness minerals in it like calcium and magnesium, plus sodium, carbonates, and other elements naturally found in ground water. Spring water is usually preferred by folks who are more "taste aware," so it is generally considered the best tasting. Spring water always fascinated me because the only difference between well water and spring water is that well water has to be pumped; spring water flows naturally out of the ground. That's really the only difference, yet well water gets a bad rap while spring water is coveted. Marketing is a wonderful thing, eh?

That's not quite fair, because spring water that is bottled comes from select springs that don't have some of the troublesome contaminants like iron, manganese or sulfur. Those troublesome contaminants taste and smell bad. Some spring waters have those contaminants just like some well waters, but no one would bother bottling and selling water from those springs because, well, no one would buy it! When you build a house and dig a well, you are kinda stuck with whatever water is in the water table under the property. That's why well water gets a bad rap.

Anyway, spring water is usually considered the best tasting, but from a "safety" standpoint it is no better than city water. In fact, city water is monitored, tested and regulated more than bottled water. Anyone who thinks spring water is generally "safer" than city water is misled. There are always exceptions...

Purified Water: usually this is city water run through a combination of water treatment unit operations like backwashing filters, softening, reverse osmosis (RO) nano filtration (NF) and ultraviolet light (UV). If "safety" is your main concern, and/or you want the lowest level of contaminants in your water, then this is the bottled water I would recommend. Dasani (Coke) and Aquafina (Pepsi) both fall into this category, although Dasani adds back some minerals. I constantly put the word safety in quotes because here in the US, most water is quite safe. Even the lead fiasco in Flint wasn't that bad compared to some parts of the world where people die every day from waterborne illnesses. [please don't read that to mean our water infrastructure is fine; it needs serious attention and funding]

Distilled Water: distilled water is boiled water. This is what most people put in their irons to keep them clean. Some people say you shouldn't drink distilled water, thinking it will suck out the minerals from your body. It really is fine, just a waste of money to drink it. RO treated water (purified water) is pretty close to distilled water quality (and better in some respects). No point in drinking distilled water, but it really won't harm you.

Flavored Water: Starts out as purified water or spring water, then sugar and/or other stuff is added. Yeah, whatever...

_______

It really comes down to what water you think tastes the best; the world is your oyster! They are all essentially just as "safe"; the safety differences (including city water) are marginal at best, and "safe" relative to what and which contaminants? As far as nutrients go, even if you drink the recommended 8 glasses of water a day, the amount of nutrients you get from water is inconsequential compared to food or one glass of milk. Literally milligrams instead of grams. Drinking one type of water over another for the nutrient benefit is like hand-holding a 10-minute exposure with IBIS activated. I just isn't going to matter.

Dave
    Last edited by dchew; 21st September 2019 at 04:59.

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dave and Dave,

I used filtered water (not purified), but I add some Potassium Carbonate so get a low, but nonzero, TDS for coffee taste. My steam boiler was scale-free after 10 years of use.

I claim no expertise, but this is what the coffee site I trust advises. If I should switch to RO, I will. I guess.

Matt
    I think that is a great approach for coffee. As I mentioned above, most coffee aficionados do not recommend RO water without adding back some TDS/minerals. The primary scale concerns are hardness minerals, calcium & magnesium. Iron and manganese are a problem too, but those are generally managed by the local POTW (your city water utility). If you are on your own well, then you at least want to get rid of iron, manganese and hardness, especially if hardness is more than 10 grains / 170 mg/l. Not just for coffee, but for the general benefits around the house.

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This topic will be fun reading this weekend. I am still bugged by this example of an article because it has no real conclusion.

https://time.com/5581326/plastic-par...ater/?amp=true

There just doesn't appear to be much scientific data available about the safety of our water.

So, I guess for now, taste is my driver. Potassium carbonate... Matt, where does one purchase that for personal use and how is it mixed?

Although my/our ability to taste discriminately seems to diminish with age, I would prefer to be sure I don't make anymore bad cups of coffee. Life is far too short for that!!!

Another correlation with medium format photography... taste! We, the discriminating connoisseurs of both vision and taste must continue the pursuit of excellence according to our preferences.
    Dave (GT)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just to add to Dave's wonderful post. The latest craze is "raw" water, which is unfiltered and untreated surface spring water or simply runoff. It even comes with an expiration date--it will turn green after that. You are taking your life in your hands with that. It might be safe as a vodka mixer, but even then...

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Just like cameras, there is no "best." I will separate bottled water into four categories:

Spring Water: spring water is ground water that flows naturally to the Earth's surface / on the ground. It has some hardness minerals in it like calcium and magnesium, plus sodium, carbonates, and other elements naturally found in ground water. Spring water is usually preferred by folks who are more "taste aware," so it is generally considered the best tasting. Spring water always fascinated me because the only difference between well water and spring water is that well water has to be pumped; spring water flows naturally out of the ground. That's really the only difference, yet well water gets a bad rap while spring water is coveted. Marketing is a wonderful thing, eh?

That's not quite fair, because spring water that is bottled comes from select springs that don't have some of the troublesome contaminants like iron, manganese or sulfur. Those troublesome contaminants taste and smell bad. Some spring waters have those contaminants just like some well waters, but no one would bother bottling and selling water from those springs because, well, no one would buy it! When you build a house and dig a well, you are kinda stuck with whatever water is in the water table under the property. That's why well water gets a bad rap.

Anyway, spring water is usually considered the best tasting, but from a "safety" standpoint it is no better than city water. In fact, city water is monitored, tested and regulated more than bottled water. Anyone who thinks spring water is generally "safer" than city water is misled. There are always exceptions...

Purified Water: usually this is city water run through a combination of water treatment unit operations like backwashing filters, softening, reverse osmosis (RO) nano filtration (NF) and ultraviolet light (UV). If "safety" is your main concern, and/or you want the lowest level of contaminants in your water, then this is the bottled water I would recommend. Dasani (Coke) and Aquafina (Pepsi) both fall into this category, although Dasani adds back some minerals. I constantly put the word safety in quotes because here in the US, most water is quite safe. Even the lead fiasco in Flint wasn't that bad compared to some parts of the world where people die every day from waterborne illnesses. [please don't read that to mean our water infrastructure is fine; it needs serious attention and funding]

Distilled Water: distilled water is boiled water. This is what most people put in their irons to keep them clean. Some people say you shouldn't drink distilled water, thinking it will suck out the minerals from your body. It really is fine, just a waste of money to drink it. RO treated water (purified water) is pretty close to distilled water quality (and better in some respects). No point in drinking distilled water, but it really won't harm you.

Flavored Water: Starts out as purified water or spring water, then sugar and/or other stuff is added. Yeah, whatever...

_______

It really comes down to what water you think tastes the best; the world is your oyster! They are all essentially just as "safe"; the safety differences (including city water) are marginal at best, and "safe" relative to what and which contaminants? As far as nutrients go, even if you drink the recommended 8 glasses of water a day, the amount of nutrients you get from water is inconsequential compared to food or one glass of milk. Literally milligrams instead of grams. Drinking one type of water over another for the nutrient benefit is like hand-holding a 10-minute exposure with IBIS activated. I just isn't going to matter.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another correlation with medium format photography... taste! We, the discriminating connoisseurs of both vision and taste must continue the pursuit of excellence according to our preferences.
    Don't forget the hearing sense. I think many MF photographers enjoy listening to good music in a way or another.
    But that's one completely new thread topic.

Post Thanks / Like

Now, I have been reading, and I noticed that no one mentioned the importance of water! I do not trust tap water... perhaps because of my civil engineering background. We have used bottled water for a long time around the house. But now... microplastics! What to do?

Filtered water?
    In the U.K coffee aficionados use Tescoís (like your Walmart) Ashbeck spring water.
    Itís actually tap water put through an industrial RO system and has an ideal PH and 120 TDS.
    Most people donít realise that it isnít from an underground spring.
    Itís cheap and better tasing that filtered or tap water.
    They are just tools for a job.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	Astoria.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	272.2 KB 
ID:	144239Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drips.jpg 
Size:	313.8 KB 
ID:	144240

This is my setup. Astoria Gloria propane and electric espresso machine and our SonoFresco coffee roaster in the background. And our Coffee Truck. Which is my semi-retirement.
    Greg
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Now, I have been reading, and I noticed that no one mentioned the importance of water! I do not trust tap water... perhaps because of my civil engineering background. We have used bottled water for a long time around the house. ..
    Our water here in Santa Clara, while perfectly clean and safe, is very hard and not particularly pleasant tasting. So we've been drinking, cooking, and making coffee or tea with an excellent bottled water exclusively for the past decade. Low mineral content, neutral Ph, low particulates, and a nice sweet clean flavor.

That's why I never mention water.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Nice lever set-up
    I did some work for a lever manufacturer called Londinium, lovely machines but I didnít have the counter space and a bit overkill to have the big boiler warm up for 1 coffee in the morning. They are supposed to be bringing out a smaller lever machine for the home soon so I might give it a try, at least it will be thermally stable unlike the LaPavoni

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amazing posts here regarding all things coffee!

Thanks to all of you.
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Nice lever set-up
    I did some work for a lever manufacturer called Londinium, lovely machines but I didnít have the counter space and a bit overkill to have the big boiler warm up for 1 coffee in the morning. They are supposed to be bringing out a smaller lever machine for the home soon so I might give it a try, at least it will be thermally stable unlike the LaPavoni
    We went with the lever to eliminate the pump and as much electrical stuff as possible inside the machine for sake of reliability. I was worried about all the vibrations from driving. I takes about one hour on propane to heat and get up to pressure and about 20 minutes using both gas and electric.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Ill play.

Some quick snaps of my setup.

Name:	_DSF0387.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	290.5 KB 
ID:	144261

Name:	_DSF0392.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	144262

Name:	_DSF0386.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	144263
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stocks View Post
    More espresso machine porn though not an especially high-end machine. Snaphot with an XF / IQ4 150.
    Hi everyone !

Long time lurker in this Inferno, but this subject had me register and post my first message !

Especially since my espresso machine happens to be a close cousin to yours Craig, I had to chime in :

Name:	IMG_4323.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	952.6 KB 
ID:	144306

(sorry it's a crappy iphone pic)

A lot of very good advice for great coffee has already been given here, but as any coffee geek would do, I will add my 2 cents :

- Water quality is very important. I use this filtration system, which also makes great water to drink, and as it's able to filter 1000's of litres, I just added a dedicated tap for it on my kitchen sink for drinking water.

- I'm only making strong double ristretto here, but for someone not ready to cope with the room and money such a big setup asks for, and/or looking for lighter shots, I would recommend trying the Bialetti Brikka, which is a moka pot with a clever pressure holding device that only allows brewing when the 9 bar required pressure for espresso is attained. It won't make the dark, rich and creamy shots a big espresso machine can produce, but it will brew descent lighter espresso like cups, and it's quite cheap and super easy to use and clean.

- But of course that will only happen with good quality freshly roasted and freshly ground beans (and yes get the best grinder you can afford).

- Oh and don't believe old sayings like 'never clean your moka pot', it's not true. For me, great coffee always comes from a greatly maintained and clean machine/pot, otherwise you're just tasting some rancid/burnt oils. BTW machine maintenance is one of the 5 M's from the Istituto Nazionale Espresso Italiano (yeah of course they have an official national institute for this ! )

Happy to now be a poster here, now I need to get confident enough with the pictures I'll make with my IQ140 setup, so I can post some in the dedicated subject !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post

This is my setup. Astoria Gloria propane and electric espresso machine and our SonoFresco coffee roaster in the background. And our Coffee Truck. Which is my semi-retirement.
    Greg
    I think we have a winner for the biggest setup !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post

Greg
    Love the Astoria!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stocks View Post
    More espresso machine porn though not an especially high-end machine. Snaphot with an XF / IQ4 150.
    Hi everyone !

Long time lurker in this Inferno, but this subject had me register and post my first message !

Especially since my espresso machine happens to be a close cousin to yours Craig, I had to chime in :

Name:	IMG_4323.JPG 
Size:	952.6 KB 
ID:	144309

(sorry it's a crappy iphone pic)

A lot of very good advice for great coffee has already been given here, but as any coffee geek would do, I will add my 2 cents :

- Water quality is very important. I use this filtration system, which also makes great water to drink, and as it's able to filter 1000's of litres, I just added a dedicated tap for it on my kitchen sink for drinking water.

- I'm only making strong double ristretto here, but for someone not ready to cope with the room and money such a big setup asks for, and/or looking for lighter shots, I would recommend trying the Bialetti Brikka, which is a moka pot with a clever pressure holding device that only allows brewing when the 9 bar required pressure for espresso is attained. It won't make the dark, rich and creamy shots a big espresso machine can produce, but it will brew descent lighter espresso like cups, and it's quite cheap and super easy to use and clean.

- But of course that will only happen with good quality freshly roasted and freshly ground beans (and yes get the best grinder you can afford).

- Oh and don't believe old sayings like 'never clean your moka pot', it's not true. For me, great coffee always comes from a greatly maintained and clean machine/pot, otherwise you're just tasting some rancid/burnt oils. BTW machine maintenance is one of the 5 M's from the Istituto Nazionale Espresso Italiano (yeah of course they have an official national institute for this ! )

Happy to now be a poster here, now I need to get confident enough with the pictures I'll make with my IQ140 setup, so I can post some in the dedicated subject !
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arrgghhh.. coffee should not be full of stress! Caffeine, yes. But not stress!

At the moment, I am sated with my drip coffee maker in the landfill via the local waste management company. The solution for one cup of coffee has been a pedestrian Keurig mini. It is all I really need to make a single cup of coffee. It cost me $40 after using the $10 gift card attached to the coffee maker. Yes, it is like buying a Polaroid SX70 instead of a Medium Format camera, but it is all I need.

Now the problem of which coffee maker for a more, ahem, sophisticated coffee. Cappuccino, macchiato, mocha... etc...etc. !!!!!! ....excuse me? The unwashed, uneducated, simple-minded, practical me only wants a simple espresso similar to what I can get at any of the Starbucks within 5 minutes of home. I love the high-end tech cams, P1 backs, and large format cameras but, seriously, they are not for me at any price. I prefer a simple kit. There is no future for me in the amazing world of the ever expanding high-tech world. I have a comfort zone in everything and the more simple the gadget/car/appliance/home/lifestyle, the happier I am and that is huge!

So, I will forego the stovetop Bialetti for now... it is a bit more work than I can be bothered with at 4am. As far as the beautiful machines above... I love them! Yet I will continue to admire from afar. I simply want a simple espresso. But which machine... simple, right?

I hate you, Dante!
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

One of my shoot for a Coffee Shop. Used Phaseone DF+ with Leaf Credo 60 and Phaseone 120mm Macro

coffee by Oamkumar Thottungal, on Flickr
    Phaseone DF+, Leaf Credo 60
    www.oamkumarthottungal.com
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate you, Dante!
    BTW Who is this Dante?

Post Thanks / Like

Some recent editorial images for a cover and feature on CBD oil
    coffee.
    had to shoot on location as the hemp plants were not legally allowed off the farm even though they contain very little THC.

cambo actus/digitar 80mm/Sony A7rII stitched with a bit of rise (fall on the actus) for extra canvas to allow for type/masthead. though thees are cropped square for instagram.

for those who wish to point out what this is doing in MF section, the stitched file ends up being the same size as the 50/100mp bigger sensors, iím using the same camera/lens tech and started my career with 10x8 and 5x4 and think my work belongs here. itís a state of mind.

Name:	CBD-3insta.jpg 
Size:	551.3 KB 
ID:	144502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBD-2insta.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	829.4 KB 
ID:	144503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBD-1insta.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	491.7 KB 
ID:	144504

Post Thanks / Like

Hand grinder: The Orphan Express Lido 2 is a solid, precise burr grinder. See
    http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/lido2

Post Thanks / Like

Can you please come make me an espresso!!!

I'm Italian, thus for me it is always and only "espresso".

This little machine accompanied me for the last 15 years now, without any failure or special maintenance. It is nothing special, but after all those years I know how to squeeze the maximum IQ out of it.
    The coffee powder is freshly ground for each cup. The fine-coarse setup is changed according to the current weather humidity and pressure. I had to customize the grinder a little bit in order to have more reach to the "fine" levels.
    A good cup of espresso must have a dense gold-cream on the surface, and the poured sugar (if any) must stay for a couple of seconds on the surface before sinking down.

Now I'm thinking of moving a step further by getting a coffee roaster, in order to personally curate that step as well.

You know what? It is time for a cup of coffee!