Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 101 to 116 of 116

Thread: Medium Format and Coffee

  1. #101
    Member mristuccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshMerwin View Post
    Can you please come make me an espresso!!!
    You living in Berlin?
    Marco Ristuccia
    photography.marcoristuccia.com
    "Unconcerned but not indifferent."

  2. #102
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    2,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    77

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    May I suggest we make espresso the OFFICIAL FOCUSING FLUID of MF users?

    After a long stay in the bowels of the ER on Friday night and Saturday (not me), I have been in bad need of something. Just made a nice cup of coffee, turned on some classic vinyl music, pulled the H5 (with Velvia loaded) to check battery and daydream a little now that our Anniversary Trip this week has been cancelled, and I am uplifted somewhat! Temporary, I know, but after 72 hours, it is much appreciated. I am feeling the rhythms in sync now.

    I am focused!
    Dave (GT)
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #103
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    2,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    77

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    It's a rainy night in Georgia.

    Cold wind and rain... a warm wood fire and a cup of coffee. What more does one need to enjoy processing some MF images?

    Leica S
    Vario 30-90mm:
    Dave (GT)
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #104
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stocks View Post
    More espresso machine porn though not an especially high-end machine. Snaphot with an XF / IQ4 150.
    I use a Chemex mostly, but sometimes I change it up with French Press. I also have the Technivorm MochaMaster drip coffee machine for when I'm lazy.

    If I were to buy an espresso machine, I think this is the one I'd go for (The La Spaziale S1) based on reading up on these. I could also be very tempted by a lever Electra, especially a schmancy copper one.

    I also read the grinder is equally if not more important than the machine.

    I use a conical burr grinder everyday, even for my pour overs.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #105
    Senior Member dchew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    1,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    I need some advice! My Delonghi Magnifica XS finally gave up the ghost, so I took a different path. Today an Aeropress arrives along with a Baratza Virtuoso+ grinder.

    Any recommendations on how to start out? Mid-grind, coarse, fine? Their website recommends setting at 12. Any other tips on how to get started? I did find this video:
    https://vimeo.com/140715216.
    Temp 205 deg F
    18 gm beans
    med-fine grind
    ~2:00 brew time

    ?
    Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

    davechewphotography.com

  6. #106
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,753
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1052

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    I have yet to find anything that beats my Jura Impressa S9. I have set the temp up to "hot," grinder at 3rd fine dot, and espresso strength at 5 beans for a 1oz/30ml cup, Americano at 4 beans for a 5oz/150ml cup. My favorite beans are Peet's Major Dickensons or Arabian Mocha Java.

    I am currently without any MF camera however, so IDK if that perhaps limits my opinions value on posting of this ( )
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #107
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    I need some advice! My Delonghi Magnifica XS finally gave up the ghost, so I took a different path. Today an Aeropress arrives along with a Baratza Virtuoso+ grinder.

    Any recommendations on how to start out? Mid-grind, coarse, fine? Their website recommends setting at 12. Any other tips on how to get started? I did find this video:
    https://vimeo.com/140715216.
    Temp 205 deg F
    18 gm beans
    med-fine grind
    ~2:00 brew time

    ?
    Dave
    Dave,

    Those are good starting parameters. You donít want too fine a grind or the Aeropress will choke and a messy explosion may result. Otherwise play around with everything- especially how much water to add after expression. The AP makes truly awesome Americanos.

    Enjoy!

    Matt
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  8. #108
    Member Mexecutioner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    180
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    I need some advice! My Delonghi Magnifica XS finally gave up the ghost, so I took a different path. Today an Aeropress arrives along with a Baratza Virtuoso+ grinder.

    Any recommendations on how to start out? Mid-grind, coarse, fine? Their website recommends setting at 12. Any other tips on how to get started? I did find this video:
    https://vimeo.com/140715216.
    Temp 205 deg F
    18 gm beans
    med-fine grind
    ~2:00 brew time

    ?
    Dave
    Hi Dave,

    That's the exact same setup I have here at work. You will like the grinder, the timer function really helps get close to the amount of coffee you need preventing waste. Still I would recommend a small digital scale if you want consistency and get the 18 grams, no more, no less. I got this one from amazon for cheap and it is very small and accurate (.01 gr.): https://www.amazon.com/STree-Digital...9016014&sr=8-1

    I have tried both fine and coarse grounds and have not noticed a huge difference in flavor but decided to finally settle on the fine ground, looks close to granulated sugar and not super powdery. I left it at setting 16 for now.

    What I have found best is to brew the coffee with the aeropress upside down so it doesn't start dripping through the filter right away. I put the plunger in and leave it at the edge of the tube, then put in the coffee and water. I take 10 seconds to pour it, I stir it for another 10 seconds, put on the filter and let it sit and when my timer is at 1 minute 45 seconds I flip it over my cup and press it down in order to be completely done at 2 minutes. I found this releases the flavor better than if I do it with the aeropress standing up.

    This guy here shows the inverted method for a concentrated shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMqjk2jZ4AE

    Hope this helps and have fun!

    Rodrigo
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  9. #109
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
    Hi Dave,

    That's the exact same setup I have here at work. You will like the grinder, the timer function really helps get close to the amount of coffee you need preventing waste. Still I would recommend a small digital scale if you want consistency and get the 18 grams, no more, no less. I got this one from amazon for cheap and it is very small and accurate (.01 gr.): https://www.amazon.com/STree-Digital...9016014&sr=8-1

    I have tried both fine and coarse grounds and have not noticed a huge difference in flavor but decided to finally settle on the fine ground, looks close to granulated sugar and not super powdery. I left it at setting 16 for now.

    What I have found best is to brew the coffee with the aeropress upside down so it doesn't start dripping through the filter right away. I put the plunger in and leave it at the edge of the tube, then put in the coffee and water. I take 10 seconds to pour it, I stir it for another 10 seconds, put on the filter and let it sit and when my timer is at 1 minute 45 seconds I flip it over my cup and press it down in order to be completely done at 2 minutes. I found this releases the flavor better than if I do it with the aeropress standing up.

    This guy here shows the inverted method for a concentrated shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMqjk2jZ4AE

    Hope this helps and have fun!

    Rodrigo
    Very clever. As a 10 year veteran of the Aeropress, I concur with Rodrigo's process. Also note, there is a reusable bayonet filter by Fellows with a valve at the bottom to keep it from dripping until pressed. Great for backpacking too.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #110
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    2,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    77

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    What a glorious sunrise this morning!

    I managed to spend a whole minute to fix a cup of blonde roast coffee this morning just to enjoy the event.



    But, I have located a store not far from here that sells the 3-cup Bialetti at a good price. Tempted to forego a dinner out, and just pick it up this week.

    However, what coffee/grind, etc. should I get for the first pot of mocha?
    Dave (GT)

  11. #111
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    What a glorious sunrise this morning!

    I managed to spend a whole minute to fix a cup of blonde roast coffee this morning just to enjoy the event.



    But, I have located a store not far from here that sells the 3-cup Bialetti at a good price. Tempted to forego a dinner out, and just pick it up this week.

    However, what coffee/grind, etc. should I get for the first pot of mocha?
    Hi Dave,

    I'm a dark roast medium grind guy for moka pots, but almost anything works. It's a forgiving workflow

    Best,

    Matt

  12. #112
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    2,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    77

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Hi Dave,

    I'm a dark roast medium grind guy for moka pots, but almost anything works. It's a forgiving workflow

    Best,

    Matt
    It would be nice to pick up something local to start...Starbucks French or Italian roast? Or maybe a local coffee shop that has Medium and Dark roasts of their own, I tried their Guatemalan roast and loved it.

    What grind? They always ask...
    Dave (GT)

  13. #113
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    It would be nice to pick up something local to start...Starbucks French or Italian roast? Or maybe a local coffee shop that has Medium and Dark roasts of their own, I tried their Guatemalan roast and loved it.

    What grind? They always ask...
    Go local! Start midway between espresso and drip. That's what I do, anyway.

    M
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #114
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    2,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    77

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    Hmmm.... diverted by several emergencies so I have yet to get the Bialetti. Still unsure which coffee to start with.

    Dave (GT)

  15. #115
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    All we really need is a Matt-hematician ...

    From the BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-engla...presso-formula
    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  16. #116
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Medium Format and Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    All we really need is a Matt-hematician ...

    From the BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-engla...presso-formula
    This has been a cause of much amusement in the coffee community. It's not even worth rebutting.

    There's a wonderful short story called "The Aliens Who Knew, I Mean, Everything". They bring magnificent gifts to human-kind, but they're insufferable. They declare Hyacinths to be the best flower and fill the Kalahari desert with them. Beethoven's Emperor Concerto is the best classical piece, but the score to Dr. Zhivago is the best music. It goes on and on.
    Last edited by MGrayson; 1 Week Ago at 14:28.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •