The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format and Coffee

dave.gt

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

What are you going to do with this wonderful gift?:):):)

This morning, upon reflection of that profound question, I was overwhelmed with the choices and decided I needed a cup of coffee. My 7-year old Kitchen-Aid machine just died. So, no coffee today and my profound quest to plan for the rest of my life will wait a little while. This catastrophe must be resolved first!

I went online looking for a small coffee machine. Somehow I ran across a reference to International Coffee Day(s). It seems different countries have different days. In fact, my birthday falls on one of them. Cool!

I have settled on a few choices of machines to buy, now to decide. It is probably going to be a Keurig mini.

But like some photographers, I like to make items of interest, and passions, the subject of my work. :)

Since the Full Moon a couple of days ago, it appears that others need to enjoy a different topic of discussion, so I offer this::loco:

Please post some medium format images of YOUR coffee passion!

I will gladly reciprocate when I can make my own once again.:ROTFL:

algrove

Dave

We believe that nothing beats your own coffee brewed your own way versus electric do it alls. In this spirit of advice:

--Can't beat the French press and you can use any coffee of your choice (as opposed to someone else's choice) in it. Various sizes and prices, but nothing to break except glass which is easily replaceable.

--Then there is the Italian Bialetti Moka Express 6 cup which makes 2 good sized cups for two of us in the morning (and you can use any coffee of your choice again) for under $30 on Amazon last week. Our old one lasted us about 15 years after using it every day we were home. We replaced it because we forgot to clean the valve periodically after not reading the instructions. Heck, that's .005cents/day. Not bad.

Just my 2c.

dave.gt

Dave

We believe that nothing beats your own coffee brewed your own way versus electric do it alls. In this spirit of advice:

--Can't beat the French press and you can use any coffee of your choice (as opposed to someone else's choice) in it. Various sizes and prices, but nothing to break except glass which is easily replaceable.

--Then there is the Italian Bialetti Moka Express 6 cup which makes 2 good sized cups for two of us in the morning (and you can use any coffee of your choice again) for under $30 on Amazon last week. Our old one lasted us about 15 years after using it every day we were home. We replaced it because we forgot to clean the valve periodically after not reading the instructions. Heck, that's .005cents/day. Not bad.

Just my 2c.

Lou, thank you for reminding me!:thumbup:

Actually, you are reading my mind... I am longing for something a little different and cannot afford an espresso machine at the moment. Besides I enjoy the rare espresso at a cafe periodically.

Both sound really good!... can you give me a lead on the French Press "equipment"?

f8orbust

Kalita Wave 155 dripper gets my vote (with unbleached Melitta filter papers). French Press a close second. Both make great coffee, but remember - it's all in the grind.

Anything that uses those environmentally disasterous plastic 'pods' should be given the order of the boot. The coffee is not even that great. It's just 'convenient' (to the user that is, not the planet). Hell, even the guy that invented the damn things regrets it.

Ok, time for a coffee...

Jim

Last edited:

cerett

Dave

Just my 2c.
Amen to the French press. Truly the best!

MartinN

A good quality grinder with real grinder discs is essential. It should be capable of grinding everything from large granules to dust flour. A good grinder still cost only about 1/10 of a good but basic boiler espresso machine. Sad, I have both but my stomach can't take the double espressos anymore (divine tasting) so I have to drink the crap normal coffee:cry:

cerett

Preparing for coffee at the last Pigs in Lake Tahoe 2019.

Gotta start with coffee before heading out to shoot sunrise!

:cool:
Interesting. I avoid coffee before an early a.m. shoot because I don't wish to be stuck in the middle of nowhere while my bowels are seriously acting up. :bugeyes: Don't wish to be crude, but I've learned this from experience. However, might have a cup or two on the way back. Cheers.

dave.gt

It is interesting... never thought about those who have stomach issues with coffee. The caffeine does make pit stops a necessity and that is why I like a single or double shot espresso early... not much liquid :pto carry around.

And a scone.:cool: or otherwise sweet delight. Like an acoustic guitar, certain simple pleasures are to be enjoyed frequently!!!

Craig's heavenly delight is a joy to behold. And Ken, what kind of coffee(s) were you offering to the gang? :) That is a sight to behold early in the morning.:thumbup:

mristuccia

I'm Italian, thus for me it is always and only "espresso". ;)

This little machine accompanied me for the last 15 years now, without any failure or special maintenance. It is nothing special, but after all those years I know how to squeeze the maximum IQ out of it.
The coffee powder is freshly ground for each cup. The fine-coarse setup is changed according to the current weather humidity and pressure. I had to customize the grinder a little bit in order to have more reach to the "fine" levels.
A good cup of espresso must have a dense gold-cream on the surface, and the poured sugar (if any) must stay for a couple of seconds on the surface before sinking down.

Now I'm thinking of moving a step further by getting a coffee roaster, in order to personally curate that step as well.

You know what? It is time for a cup of coffee! :D

algrove

Lou, thank you for reminding me!:thumbup:

Actually, you are reading my mind... I am longing for something a little different and cannot afford an espresso machine at the moment. Besides I enjoy the rare espresso at a cafe periodically.

Both sound really good!... can you give me a lead on the French Press "equipment"?
The French presses we have (2 different sizes) are from Bodum-the original French Press-so they say. If you want espresso though the Italian maker is perhaps better for you.

We use the French press in the am and then the stronger Itailian one after lunch when the stomach is full for easier digestion.

Sanford Lavine

Freshly roasted beans, a course grind with a burr grinder, water at the right temperature and a French Press. I usually only drink one cup a day, but a proper cup starts my day off properly.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
In 2007, I had to take a three month leave between jobs. My self-appointed task during that period was to understand why the worst cup of coffee in Italy was better than the best cup of coffee in the US. I quickly found the serious online coffee community, and learned that, as good light is to photography, so freshly roasted beans are to coffee. It doesn't guarantee a great shot (ho ho), but without it, you're screwed.

I also learned that fancy equipment had nothing to do with great coffee. But we're in the MF forum, so when did that stop us? This is my third espresso machine (the last one, similar to the current one, was with me for over 10 years.) The grinder is my 5th? 6th? You can't get a too good grinder. After the beans, it's the most important tool. There is an Italian saying that the four important elements of coffee are (they all start with the letter "M" in Italian) Machine, Grinder, Beans, and Barista, and the first is the least important.

To put these beasts in Camera terms, the machine is Leica M10 territory, and the grinder is Sony A7RIII.

If you want non-espresso coffee, which is much more versatile, a good drip (Kalita Wave), French press, Moka pot, or Aeropress will do spectacularly. But GAS...

Yes, it's a snapshot with an X1D :D

Matt

kdphotography

Apparently some here take Dante's Inferno to heart and have applied lessons learned from Medium Format Digital to other aspects of their lives. :thumbup:

I need to step up my coffee-game.

;)

MartinN

Thanks for starting this thread,

I will now immediately order decaffeinated beans and see if I can tolerate that better. And if no espressos with that either anymore I could do Americano with variyng amounts of water and possibly even mixing capuccinos with that.