The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format and Coffee

MrSmith

If you fancy 3rd wave Italian espresso not dark bulk roasted robusta then it’s worth tracking down Gardelli roasters who sell a lot outside of their home market in Italy but the big cities will have a few cafes that use it.
He was world roasting champion recently and all the coffees I have tried have been great, I was lucky enough to try some Wush-Wush from Columbia which is on par with Gesha from Panama and similar in price (£100/kg) but a much bigger body and mouthfeel, not as delicate as Gesha but I actually prefer it even though Gesha is supposed to be the best coffee available. (This was as a V60)

ShaunQ

Coffee has been a love of mine for a long time now, many years spent using a Bialetti stovetop and enjoying the coffee from such a simple device. I knew I'd eventually own an espresso machine, so after much research two years ago I bought a Rocket Mozafiatto and started a more complicated morning routine!

Took a few months to really start converting my research and learnings into making good coffee, but can now adjust to different scenarios and beans very quickly and get a good shot into the cup without any hassle. Love using the Rocket and the Profitec T64 grinder has paired well, I call in to get fresh beans from one of the local roasters once a week and keep them in a wine cooler fridge due to the heat and humidity of where I live.

Threw the P1 in there to tick the Medium Format box :)

Godfrey

Coffee has been a love of mine for a long time now, many years spent using a Bialetti stovetop and enjoying the coffee from such a simple device. I knew I'd eventually own an espresso machine, so after much research two years ago I bought a Rocket Mozafiatto and started a more complicated morning routine! ...
Lovely equipment! Sadly, I don't have any room for such extravagance in my kitchen. :(

But ... I lost my classic Bialetti in 2016 when I went to an inductive cooktop (it was aluminum and no manner of messing about with magnetic adapters seemed to let it work properly as it had been on the old gas or electric range). I'd signed off on it, going for espresso coffee to the local cafes—which I quite like anyway since it gives me an opportunity to chat with baristas and other cafe sitting folks, etc. But I missed the simple pleasure of a cup of espresso in the morning.

And then I found the Bialetti Venus and life returned to normal. :D

Voigtländer Perkeo II & Bialetti Venus

G

Elderly

The darker the coffee, the more similar they all are. This can be good if you want a "comfort shot", which is dark, but not bitter. Lighter roasts are trickier to get in the sweet spot. VERY interesting when you get it - floral, fruit, but not sour or bitter.

In short, drink what you like and don't worry. If a light roast is proving hard to dial in, try a darker one.

Enjoy!

Matt
/\ This.

A year ago I was on a coffee plantation in Colombia.
Believe it or not, it is almost impossible to get a decent cup of coffee in Colombia - they have no coffee drinking culture in their country;
all the good beans are exported!
Most of the coffee that is drunk by the Colombians is called Tinto and is made from reject beans and swept up grindings.

On the plantation they told me that the best method was to use a filter paper as it removes certain oils that would spoil a good light roast.
There should also be a specific ratio of water to coffee used, but I can't remember what it should be :facesmack:.

They told me that marketing, pointed people towards darker roasts as a darker roast makes it easier to get away with poorer quality beans. You cannot mask a poor bean with a light roast.

The Colombians told me that the best beans are produced in ............................... Ethiopia ::lecture:.

I use a French Press, a dark roast and beans from coffee producing countries that I've bean to :D.

RLB

After working on several projects with Ducati and MV Agusta (Italian motorcycle companies) back about 20 years ago I became addicted to really great coffee.

My solution; bought two machino's from here: https://www.salvatore-espresso.com/

Roast our own coffee in small batches with a small table top air roaster and mixing our secret blend of Malabar, Columbian and Brazilian.

It's an amazing way to start the day and keep going.

Robert B

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My three formats: MF, APS-C, and Coffee. This wasn't posed. I just noticed it from where I was sitting out of the sun. You can see the horribly necessary card reader dongle, as Apple has long abandoned the built in SD slot. :angry:

GFX 100, 50mm/3.5.

:grin:

Matt

anyone

Comman-Dante ! What a nice grinder for a medium format photographer :)
Apart from the name and price tag (must be Dante-approved), this is also the finest manual grinder that can be found. Highly recommended!

PS: also delightful to see how well the IQ1 60 which I just got works with the V-lenses. No sharpening applied, I think the result is very nice. Just a bit of CA, but nothing to worry about. Impressive lenses, I think they might even resolve more!

PeterA

GFX|110/2

I've had to retire my previous machine because after 7 years of use its boiler gave up the ghost and no spare parts available. I replaced it with a 'La Marzocco' - which is basically an industrial machine for home use, same parts and availability as the machines made for coffee shops with 4 cups...and very easy to maintain oneself - highly recommended - the frothing tube is also always cool to touch so no accidental burns possible - great technology. Couldn't help myself putting my SL2 and Nocti in the shot - no apologies! :grin:

MGrayson

Overkill :toocool:

Leica S(007), S120/2.5 Macro @f/8

Matt

Ye Gods! A 0.1 µg balance. Yes, that's a tenth of a microgram. 0.0000001g. Only "$50,256.93 & FREE Shipping" from Amazon. It will only weigh up to 6.1 grams, so not useful for coffee. And I thought a milligram balance was overkill...

Last edited:

MGrayson

I was finding puddles of water under my machine in the morning. The problem was not subtle. Here's a macro shot of the old tank (replaced this morning). Leica S(007), S120 Macro @f/8

This wasn't the worst crack. Just the most photogenic :grin:

Matt

dave.gt

Coffee in times of stress has an amazing comfort factor.:)

It should be in everyone's Virus Care Package. And when realize you can not smell or taste it... then you know.

Wishing everyone a safe passage through these treacherous times... and a cup of coffee, frequently!:thumbs:

dave.gt

It is time to discuss roasting your own coffee!:grin:

Who is doing it and how does one get started?

On the Fun with Medium Format thread, that M3 amongst the coffee beans is so cool in a lot of ways, maybe we can find some more images of Leica and espresso?

MGrayson

I tried roasting. First with a popcorn popper style, then with a toaster-oven sized drum. It's not for apartment living unless you have a restaurant or laboratory grade fume hood. If you have a garage or, better yet, a separate building in which to roast with a large vent directly to the outside, it's much easier.

So, I made a lot of smoke, got ok but not great coffee, and eventually gave up and went back to ordering fresh-roasted beans from people who were much better at it than I was ever going to be. :cry:

Matt

P.S. If you want to try, the Sweet Maria's site has a lot of info, equipment, and green coffee.