The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with 2nd lens choice for technical camera please

Greg Haag

I am trying to decide on a second lens for my technical camera kit, currently I have the 32hr, and envision a 3 lens system when fully equipped. The lenses below are the ones currently on my list of possibilities. The 90hr-sw seems like the safest choice in leaving my options open, but I would love any insight or guidance I could get with this.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

50hr
70hr
90hr-sw
138hrsw-float

danlindberg

I would definitely go for the 70 as my companion to the 32. Good spread and you can never go wrong with a 'standard' focal length in the bag.

dchew

I just heard from my dealer the 138 is delayed until next spring. Assuming you ultimately want those three lenses to span up to 120mm or greater, then I agree with Dan: the 70 probably fills the gap best.

I just love the 50mm focal length though. And, that would allow you to fit in the 90 later, too.

Dante told me to tell you that.

Dave

Greg Haag

I just heard from my dealer the 138 is delayed until next spring. Assuming you ultimately want those three lenses to span up to 120mm or greater, then I agree with Dan: the 70 probably fills the gap best.

I just love the 50mm focal length though. And, that would allow you to fit in the 90 later, too.

Dante told me to tell you that.

Dave
Thank you Dave! BTW, I hope to have some comments for you this week, although not many you have done a great job!

Jamgolf

Greg

I would offer a contrarian opinion to Dave and Dan, both are gentlemen I respect a lot and hold their opinions in very very high esteem. In my view 70HR is just not in the same league as 50HR, 90HRSW or 138HRSW. When I had the opportunity to use this lens, I was underwhelmed. Nothing was particularly wrong just that it did not have the wow factor other HR lenses have.

All other Rodenstock HR/HRSW are worth the money as far as I am concerned. 90HRSW will allow max usage of its image circle while 50HR is among the sharpest lenses that I have ever used. I love my 32HR, which like yourself was my first lens. It is my goto lens, but if I ever had to make tough decision and keep just one lens, I would keep 50HR. Thats how good the 50HR is.

90HRSW is in a league of its own. The only nitpick against it is the need to use a spacer. I am used to it now and consider it just the price to pay for the superlative files it produces, but the spacer is basically a pain in the a$$. Incredible lens with a bit of inconvenient aspect to it.

Good luck!

jng

At this level of performance, I think the main driver behind your decision should be what focal length(s) you see yourself using most based on your own shooting style. If you do a little digging, I think you'll find an old thread here on getDPI where various members (including Dave if I recall correctly) talked about the rationale behind their lens choices. You might also try using an app like The Artist's Viewfinder, which allows you to use your cell phone camera to frame a scene according to different focal lengths and sensor formats. All this might help you prioritize your next lens acquisition(s).

And I wouldn't worry too much - if Dante has his way (and he usually does around here), you will wind up getting all of these lenses eventually. :ROTFL:

John

Greg Haag

Greg

I would offer a contrarian opinion to Dave and Dan, both are gentlemen I respect a lot and hold their opinions in very very high esteem. In my view 70HR is just not in the same league as 50HR, 90HRSW or 138HRSW. When I had the opportunity to use this lens, I was underwhelmed. Nothing was particularly wrong just that it did not have the wow factor other HR lenses have.

All other Rodenstock HR/HRSW are worth the money as far as I am concerned. 90HRSW will allow max usage of its image circle while 50HR is among the sharpest lenses that I have ever used. I love my 32HR, which like yourself was my first lens. It is my goto lens, but if I ever had to make tough decision and keep just one lens, I would keep 50HR. Thats how good the 50HR is.

90HRSW is in a league of its own. The only nitpick against it is the need to use a spacer. I am used to it now and consider it just the price to pay for the superlative files it produces, but the spacer is basically a pain in the a$$. Incredible lens with a bit of inconvenient aspect to it.

Good luck!
Thank you Jawad! I seems fairly unanimous that something in the 50-70 is the best next step, that is a huge help! I keep hearing great things about the 50HR and it is probably the best fit for me to keep the 90hr on my list.

Greg Haag

At this level of performance, I think the main driver behind your decision should be what focal length(s) you see yourself using most based on your own shooting style. If you do a little digging, I think you'll find an old thread here on getDPI where various members (including Dave if I recall correctly) talked about the rationale behind their lens choices. You might also try using an app like The Artist's Viewfinder, which allows you to use your cell phone camera to frame a scene according to different focal lengths and sensor formats. All this might help you prioritize your next lens acquisition(s).

And I wouldn't worry too much - if Dante has his way (and he usually does around here), you will wind up getting all of these lenses eventually. :ROTFL:

John
Thank you John! I will search and see if I can find that thread.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I’m with Dan and Dave on this one, the 70. It’s my second most used focal length. While maybe not quite as good as the 90 (which I also have) it’s still a very good lens, and the FOV is the main consideration here. In fact I use the 120 more than I do the 90 ... it’s just not a FOV I find myself needing very often.

I started off with the 32HR and the 90HRSW. The 90HRSW is superb as has already been stated. Despite the rear spacer, I use it as much as the 32HR. After using those two, I got the 50HR and that one is also superb, but for whatever reason I don’t use it as much as the 32HR or the 90HRSW. Since you can’t go wrong with either the 50HR or the 90HRSW... maybe you should get both. :)

Jacob

TheDude

I started off with the 32HR and the 90HRSW. ... [then] I got the 50HR and that one is also superb
Alpa refers to these three Digaron-(S)W lenses - 32mm, 50mm, and 90mm - not without some justification, as the "Holy Trinity".

For a two (Digaron-W) lens kit, 40mm and 70mm seems to be a popular and sensible combination.

Greg Haag

I’m with Dan and Dave on this one, the 70. It’s my second most used focal length. While maybe not quite as good as the 90 (which I also have) it’s still a very good lens, and the FOV is the main consideration here. In fact I use the 120 more than I do the 90 ... it’s just not a FOV I find myself needing very often.
Thank you Wayne!

Greg Haag

I started off with the 32HR and the 90HRSW. The 90HRSW is superb as has already been stated. Despite the rear spacer, I use it as much as the 32HR. After using those two, I got the 50HR and that one is also superb, but for whatever reason I don’t use it as much as the 32HR or the 90HRSW. Since you can’t go wrong with either the 50HR or the 90HRSW... maybe you should get both. :)

Jacob
Thank you Jacob!

vjbelle

I have to agree with posts regarding the 70mm. I have the 72mm Digitar and that's a focal length I find very useful. Another plus for the 70mm is that it is the least expensive of the lenses you are interested in. The 90mm is a must and also a focal length I like a lot. The 138 I would put way back in line..... it's a beast and it's a fortune. Before I would buy the 138 I would get the 50mm, 70mm and 90mm.

No matter what you are going to be happy.....

Victor

Greg Haag

I have to agree with posts regarding the 70mm. I have the 72mm Digitar and that's a focal length I find very useful. Another plus for the 70mm is that it is the least expensive of the lenses you are interested in. The 90mm is a must and also a focal length I like a lot. The 138 I would put way back in line..... it's a beast and it's a fortune. Before I would buy the 138 I would get the 50mm, 70mm and 90mm.

No matter what you are going to be happy.....

Victor
Thank you Victor!

TheDude

I started off with the 32HR and the 90HRSW. ... After using those two, I got the 50HR and that one is also superb, but for whatever reason I don’t use it as much as the 32HR or the 90HRSW.
Interesting how Apple went about. First, there one lens with about 28mm (equivalent) focal length lens, then with the iPhone X two lenses 26mm and 52mm, and now with the iPhone 11 Pro three lenses: 13mm - 26mm - 52mm.
Apple surely must have invested extensively in research of which focal lengths to use and with what spacing.
I presume the exact geometric spacing of the focal lengths may be due computational (scalability) reasons.
Of course, we are limited what Rodenstock makes available.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Digaron-W 32mm and the Digaron-S 35mm, like Apple's 26mm, are the most used focal lengths, and perhaps Digaron-W 50mm/70mm and Digaron-S 60mm, like Apple's 52mm, the second most used focal lengths. Third most used focal lengths, Digaron-S 23mm or Digaron-SW 90mm? Wonder how Apple's 13mm lens will resonate with the photographic community.

Last edited:

RLB

Alpa refers to these three Digaron-(S)W lenses - 32mm, 50mm, and 90mm - not without some justification, as the "Holy Trinity".

For a two (Digaron-W) lens kit, 40mm and 70mm seems to be a popular and sensible combination.

While I love the 32mm Rode the 40mm is an excellent lens too and the reason I love it is that its far smaller and lighter (and less expensive) and yet has a great perspective and sharpness. Its an excellent travel/hiking lens.

The 70mm Rode is also relatively compact lens with very good sharpness across the frame and a "normal" perspective for a 42x54 format sensor. Even smaller is the 72mm SK Digitar and its an excellent lens as well...but I don't think these are available any longer except through DT's Heritage division or on the secondary market.

I'm a fan of the previous gen (Blue/Magenta) ring 90mm Rode HR-W. For the cost, size and weight is an excellent choice IF you can find a super clean used one.

I've never tried the 50mm Rode but most seem to really like it. I find I'm more of a stich/pano landscape shooter and tend be close to what I'm shooting which means the 32 is my go to then the 40, then the 70 then the 90. With a great DB and good workflow any of those lenses will produce stellar results. Sure one might be slightly optically sharper than another when bench tested, but often that advantage can be leveled in C1 and produce large prints that are nearly indistinguishable. I'd always argue that better workflow (C1 settings, making a good LCC, nailing focus, DOF, and great printing) are far more important to the final outcome than 5% better optical sharpness. Of course this also assumes you've taken a visually interesting photo, not just a technically good one.

Robert

Last edited: