The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with 2nd lens choice for technical camera please

narikin

Greg

I would offer a contrarian opinion to Dave and Dan, both are gentlemen I respect a lot and hold their opinions in very very high esteem. In my view 70HR is just not in the same league as 50HR, 90HRSW or 138HRSW. When I had the opportunity to use this lens, I was underwhelmed. Nothing was particularly wrong just that it did not have the wow factor other HR lenses have.

Completely agree. Underwhelmed by the 70mm too. I have owned 8 Alpa lenses and sold the 70mm with zero regrets.
No idea why people rate it, but a good number do. As ever, YMMV...

Agree about the 50mm - truly excellent
and
90HRSW (must be the HRSW, no other version) - stunning corner to corner.

Afaik the 138mm is supposed to be a new high bar, but nobody has got their hands on it have they? (and... $12,500!)

Do you shift/ stitch much? - the Image Circle could affect your choice.

vjbelle

Afaik the 138mm is supposed to be a new high bar, but nobody has got their hands on it have they? (and... $12,500!)
Agree.... it's a new high bar but only at f5.6 which is razor thin. Focus stacking is a must even at mid range. I'm sure f8 - f10 will work out really great for printing which is all I'm interested in. But the cost...... no way. I'll stick with my 120 Asph and 150 Digitar to do the work.

Victor

Last edited:

narikin

Agree.... it's a new high bar but only at f5.6 which is razor thin. Focus stacking is a must even at mid range. I'm sure f8 - f10 will work out really great for printing which is all I'm interested in. But the cost...... no way. I'll stick with my 120 Asph and 150 Digitar to do the work.

Victor
It's f6.8.

If it follows the 90mm HRSW, which they say it does, then the ultimate sharpness will be in the center wide open at f6.8, but examine the corners, or shift into that 110mm image circle, and you'll find resolution there clearly improved by stopping down one or two clicks to f8 or f11 (but no more)

Seems to be the general consensus.

A well-placed and well-informed source indicated that the Digaron-W 70mm may get (next year?) a "SW" workover.
I think you mean 70mm "HRSW". But agreed, it's due a refresh for sure.

TheDude

I think you mean 70mm "HRSW"
Correct.

Unlike its predecessor, "Apo-Sironar Digital HR" (which is optically and mechanically identical to the Digaron-S) there never was a non-HR version to the Digaron line.

It appears that there will be no new Digaron-S or Digaron-W lenses anymore, any new lens will now be Digaron-SW.

Greg Haag

I am ready to order my lens and have a question, with the introduction of the XT, should I wait a bit to see if a used 50HR or 90HRSW comes available? Also, if one comes available, would you consider either of those in a non tilt/swing version?
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Greg Haag

Good luck. Rarely seen used.

But perhaps with the introduction of Fujifilm’s GFX 100 and Hasselblad's 907X few may exit the field of LG style cameras.
Thanks, I felt like that might be the case. I went ahead an ordered the 90 HR-SW tilt/swing, should be in for my late October/early November trip to GSMNP.