The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small tablet to drive IQ4-150

drunkenspyder

I went to look at the Surface Go's at Best buy a week ago but seemed like such a waste of money for a band aid, so I couldn't talk myself into it. I will stick to my USB-C iPad Pro and hope one day I get to use it with my 4150.
Tried to get myself down the same path. Same outcome.

Greg Haag

Has anybody tried to tether the IQ4150 with the Surface Go?

I was talking with Don Libby, a respected enabler, who uses the Surface Go (running Windows 10 Pro) with Capture One as a viewer for his Fuji GFX100 image files (not for processing) when traveling. The Surface Go has a USB C plug. Don has not tried to tether his GFX100.

What I find significant is that the Surface Go (a tablet) can run Capture One. I'll place bets that the Surface Go can tether with the IQ4150. It may take longer to view the images when tethered, but perhaps this offers a stop-gap measure for viewing/focusing the IQ4150 while on location until Phase One (finally) catches up and releases firmware so that the stated IQ4 feature sets can be fully realized, such as Capture Pilot. I also take pride in goading Graham Welland into puHrchasing more Microsoft/Windows products over Apple. :ROTFL: An external lithium battery pack might be a good idea for charging and for extended shooting capability.

Has anyone used the Surface Go for tethering with the IQ4150?

Ken
Ken,
Did you wind up getting the Surface Go for your IQ4150? I think I am giving up waiting on the iPad as a tethering option.
Thanks,
Greg

Steve C

Greg,
I share your pain on how long it is taking Capture One to tether to an iPad. A couple years ago, I bought a Windows tablet, installed the full Capture One and tried to use it to tether. Although it functioned fully, I found the size of the sliders and other controls in Capture One to be so small they were nearly impossible to use with my large fingers, so I gave up. If there is a stylus with the Surface Go, it will probably work, otherwise I recommend you try before you buy.

Greg Haag

Greg,
I share your pain on how long it is taking Capture One to tether to an iPad. A couple years ago, I bought a Windows tablet, installed the full Capture One and tried to use it to tether. Although it functioned fully, I found the size of the sliders and other controls in Capture One to be so small they were nearly impossible to use with my large fingers, so I gave up. If there is a stylus with the Surface Go, it will probably work, otherwise I recommend you try before you buy.
Steve, that is very helpful! I may opt to get a MacBook Air until the iPad solution arrives.

diggles

A couple years ago, I bought a Windows tablet, installed the full Capture One and tried to use it to tether. Although it functioned fully, I found the size of the sliders and other controls in Capture One to be so small they were nearly impossible to use with my large fingers, so I gave up.
This was the same issue I ran into when tethering with Phocus on the Surface Pro. I did have a stylus, but it was still very difficult to use. Same result, I gave up. After I sold the Surface I started using Capture One on a MB Air. I have wondered if C1 works any better on the Surface, but it sounds like it does not.

kdphotography

Ken,
Did you wind up getting the Surface Go for your IQ4150? I think I am giving up waiting on the iPad as a tethering option.
Thanks,
Greg
I'm not spending any more money on camera gear----until the covid restrictions are lifted completely. Short range road trips excepted---I want to travel a bit further with my camera.

Ken