The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XD series with Techart Canon EF adapter with Canon TSE Lenses

jpaulmoore

Hello all,
I am seriously considering the new Hasselblad 1DX ll and I may have to just get the body first until I can afford a lens or two. To make this doable I need to be able to use my Canon TSE 17 & 24mm lenses to work well with the Hasselblad. It looks like there is a Techart adapter (autofocus) adapter to do this. I don't need the autofocus because the Canon TSE lenses are manual focus, but I do need the electronic connections for exposure, etc. Has anyone tried this combination? The Techart adapters are quite expensive $500 range so I need to make sure this will work for me. How is the build quality of the Techart adapters? Any experience you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
J. Paul

vsbhk

Hello all,
I am seriously considering the new Hasselblad 1DX ll and I may have to just get the body first until I can afford a lens or two. To make this doable I need to be able to use my Canon TSE 17 & 24mm lenses to work well with the Hasselblad. It looks like there is a Techart adapter (autofocus) adapter to do this. I don't need the autofocus because the Canon TSE lenses are manual focus, but I do need the electronic connections for exposure, etc. Has anyone tried this combination? The Techart adapters are quite expensive $500 range so I need to make sure this will work for me. How is the build quality of the Techart adapters? Any experience you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
J. Paul
Techart adapter for X1d is well built and reliable - the main limitation is the electronic shutter. Any moving element tend to look weird - and it is best to use a tripod. This is true IME for the Mark I - the sensor readout *might* be faster on the Mark II.

DaveS

Hi guys. I couldn’t get this to work and sent the adapter back this week.

I had asked the same question in this thread below.
“Techart TCX-01 EOS Adapter for X1D”

I think there must be a firmware compatibility problem with the new X1D mark ii

The problem is it won’t change the aperture at all, it stays fully open. It also won’t lock focus ever it just hunts forever as long as you hold the shutter button. Ie back and forth back and forth.

At least my copy did. I sent notes to the seller on eBay and also to Techart directly. Techart never answered but the seller did a lot of communication and was in Touch with Techart re suggestions. Ie firmware, when and how in which order you connect and power up, etc etc.

The new camera has faster auto focus refresh rate I understand from Hasselblad’s literature and I think it might be a slightly updated lens interface protocol that Techart may not have tested yet.

So even though they may come out with a firmware solution I sent it back while the return warranty is still in effect. Then I may repurchase it when there is a definitive answer.

I also would appreciate anyone’s first hand experience too. As I have both tilt shift 24 and 17 I would like to use.

Regards
Dave

fotophil

Hi guys. I couldn’t get this to work and sent the adapter back this week.

I had asked the same question in this thread below.
“Techart TCX-01 EOS Adapter for X1D”

I think there must be a firmware compatibility problem with the new X1D mark ii

The problem is it won’t change the aperture at all, it stays fully open. It also won’t lock focus ever it just hunts forever as long as you hold the shutter button. Ie back and forth back and forth.

At least my copy did. I sent notes to the seller on eBay and also to Techart directly. Techart never answered but the seller did a lot of communication and was in Touch with Techart re suggestions. Ie firmware, when and how in which order you connect and power up, etc etc.

The new camera has faster auto focus refresh rate I understand from Hasselblad’s literature and I think it might be a slightly updated lens interface protocol that Techart may not have tested yet.

So even though they may come out with a firmware solution I sent it back while the return warranty is still in effect. Then I may repurchase it when there is a definitive answer.

I also would appreciate anyone’s first hand experience too. As I have both tilt shift 24 and 17 I would like to use.

Regards
Dave
My Techart EOS Lens Adapter works very well with mg X1D and hopefully they will perform the necessary firmware upgrade to support the new X1D-2. I suggest you contact Techart directly to get an update schedule. Maybe they are still waiting in line for their copy of the X1D-2? It is highly doubtful that Hasselblad would share any X1D-2 engineering design information so Techart will have to reverse engineer as they did for the original X1D.

DaveS

I agree. I think it is just a current compatibility issue that could be fixed.

On the off chance my new adapter was just defective I was also waiting to see if any existing owner was changing to the mark 2 and could test their ‘known’ working adapter on it.

(On the Techart side they don’t seem to be answering my email feed back and question about this.)

I’m sure it will be resolved as it seems like a great product.

PS while I had the adapter I tested it as a dumb adapter (EOS-R) with some Leica R lens and it created a better image circle especially on the 21-35mm than the Hasselblad to Leica M and Leica R-M combo. I think the image opening being larger is noticeable on some lens. Basically no vignette from 25-35 while the H-LM & LM-R worked 25-31. So I am waiting for multiple lens reasons. :D

Dave

fotophil

I agree. I think it is just a current compatibility issue that could be fixed.

On the off chance my new adapter was just defective I was also waiting to see if any existing owner was changing to the mark 2 and could test their ‘known’ working adapter on it.

(On the Techart side they don’t seem to be answering my email feed back and question about this.)

I’m sure it will be resolved as it seems like a great product.

PS while I had the adapter I tested it as a dumb adapter (EOS-R) with some Leica R lens and it created a better image circle especially on the 21-35mm than the Hasselblad to Leica M and Leica R-M combo. I think the image opening being larger is noticeable on some lens. Basically no vignette from 25-35 while the H-LM & LM-R worked 25-31. So I am waiting for multiple lens reasons. :D

Dave
Kipon is making a Fuji GFX Body to Canon EOS Lens Adapter which is very similar to the Techart in that it uses the camera control for the aperture. Kipon does make an EOS - X1D adapter with external aperture control similar to the Cambo Unit. As the X1D-2 gains popularity Kipon will probably start to support it. In the mean time the Techart Folks probably have X1D-2 compatibility on their to-do list. If a X1d-2 owner in China were to share their camera with Techart things might more rapidly because I doubt that Techart is first inline for a new X1D-2.

bab

Hmm the X1D used is available at great pricing as are some lenses, it’s not producing any less IQ than the newer version and tha adapters work with it NOW!
I would buy the older body because you can’t lose any significant money while awaiting you perfect solution.

rollsman44

What 3rd party lens can you recommend for portraits with the Techart adaptor? I see that Sigma has a few lenses they recommend. I just want Sharp and Excellent Skin tones and don't need Bokeh. F 1.8 and up os ok for me. I never shoot wide open and hopefully some of you have used 3rd party lenses with the Techart and make recommendations Thank you

drunkenspyder

I hope it’s okay if I coopt this thread with a somewhat related problem. I own the TechArt Pro Canon/X1D adapter. Fit and finish are very nice. But I am having an exposure problem using the Canon TS17 lens on my X1D. No matter what setting I use, my images are completely blown out. Doesn’t matter if I shoot manual, shutter priority, aperture priority, or even program mode, the image is extremely overexposed. Even if I set the shutter to 1/1500, the aperture to f/18, and the ISO to 100, the image in a normal interior room is overexposed. This is true on my v1 and v2 X1D. Zero problems with native lenses, and zero problems with my Nikon PC19 using either the Fotodiox or Novoflex all-manual adapters. If it was just a problem of the adapter not working and failing to stop down the aperture, one would think that eventually increasing the shutter speed and keeping the ISO low would produce a desirable exposure. Even with negative EV compensation, I get blow out. And this happens whether the lens is shifted, tilted, or locked down at center.

I don’t have a Canon or Cambo body on which to test the lens at the moment, but it has not failed me in the past. I have the latest firmware (2.2.0) installed on the adapter. Both X1Ds are up to date. I’ve sent an email to the maker. In the meantime, I am stumped.

vsbhk

I hope it’s okay if I coopt this thread with a somewhat related problem. I own the TechArt Pro Canon/X1D adapter. Fit and finish are very nice. But I am having an exposure problem using the Canon TS17 lens on my X1D. No matter what setting I use, my images are completely blown out. Doesn’t matter if I shoot manual, shutter priority, aperture priority, or even program mode, the image is extremely overexposed. Even if I set the shutter to 1/1500, the aperture to f/18, and the ISO to 100, the image in a normal interior room is overexposed. This is true on my v1 and v2 X1D. Zero problems with native lenses, and zero problems with my Nikon PC19 using either the Fotodiox or Novoflex all-manual adapters. If it was just a problem of the adapter not working and failing to stop down the aperture, one would think that eventually increasing the shutter speed and keeping the ISO low would produce a desirable exposure. Even with negative EV compensation, I get blow out. And this happens whether the lens is shifted, tilted, or locked down at center.

I don’t have a Canon or Cambo body on which to test the lens at the moment, but it has not failed me in the past. I have the latest firmware (2.2.0) installed on the adapter. Both X1Ds are up to date. I’ve sent an email to the maker. In the meantime, I am stumped.
Are you using the electronic shutter ?

strohscw

I also sent several emails to them, but they do not react! Bad service! :(

drunkenspyder

Are you using the electronic shutter ?
Yes. While that is something I wish Hassy would offer as an automatic or user-configurable option (“if I mount a non-XCD lens, switch to ES”), I’ve built it into my workflow. And while I am at it, switching AF off automatically for non-AF lenses should also be an easy setting. But maybe I just missed that. My partner had AF on when she was using the camera with the XCD45; it took me a couple of inoperable shutter depressions to realize I needed to manually turn off AF in order to take a shot after mounting the Canon.

Qamaro

Yes. While that is something I wish Hassy would offer as an automatic or user-configurable option (“if I mount a non-XCD lens, switch to ES”), I’ve built it into my workflow. And while I am at it, switching AF off automatically for non-AF lenses should also be an easy setting. But maybe I just missed that. My partner had AF on when she was using the camera with the XCD45; it took me a couple of inoperable shutter depressions to realize I needed to manually turn off AF in order to take a shot after mounting the Canon.
Couldn’t you set all your settings the way you want in menus (ES, MF, etc) then save them to one of the Custom dial modes? This way you just switch the dial (ex C1) and all the settings are prepared for that shooting setup? Just got my Cam so haven’t tried but that is what I gather from the manual. It’s not automatic but you don’t have to dig in the menu for settings prior to that lens setup.