The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Autumn, yes!!! High-Tech Fatigue, no!!!!

dave.gt

Now that I have my coffee catastrophe resolved...:)... I find myself immersed in High-Tech Fatigue Syndrome (HTFS). Seriously, photography is supposed to be fun!

So, this weekend, I have been working through my backpacks to make sure we will be able to enjoy (remember that word?) the Season. Tomorrow is the first day of Autumn! In a short while, we will be heading north for our annual wedding anniversary mountain tour. In the past, we have toured in various British and American sports cars, including the 1951 MGTD, various motorcycles, and a multitude of sedans, coupes and 4WD SUVs... yes, we have been doing this a very long time.:thumbup:

Sometimes, we would have our children with us for a snow ski vacation. Other times, we would travel as a couple for a getaway. But, always, without fail, for 48 years, we would make the annual tour the highlight of the year. I am now looking forward to carrying just the right amount of photo gear to enjoy (there is that word again!) our time together outdoors in the splendor of Autumn. I am so over the technical discussions, :argue:, angst, and (forgive me:grin:), the "pursuit of perfection". I will be delighted with simple "excellence".

Life is too short for all of the stress I have witnessed lately, and with the limited number of days we have left in this life, with at least good enough health to enjoy (!) touring the Great Smoky Mountains NP and surrounding areas, I choose to use just the gear I have without second thoughts, wishes, complaints, or anxiety so common on forums. Instead, I shall be using the Studio's H5D-50c and two film backs; my Leica X1; and a tripod. That all fits in my shoulder bag while the backpack remains secure in the hotel. The wheelchair, picnic basket, blanket, tripod, and folding chair will all be together along with my Orvis flyrod. That is all the high-tech I will have for our tour.

Minimal gear, minimal shooting time, maximum enjoyment. Goodbye HTFS!::chug:

dave.gt

A little snapshot of Velvia slides to remind me of the joy of photography. For me, few things can be more fun with a camera.

Last edited:

dave.gt

Oh, and tonight, I will once again watch the Netflix film, Kodachrome, with Ed Harris, to begin a relaxing photography-related movie-viewing period of time before we head north in October. :thumbup:

The limits of high-tech are now in control for me once again.:)

dave.gt

Now, the question for you!

TODAY is the first day of Autumn. (At least in the northern hemisphere) The HARVEST!

What are you going to do? Relax, and enjoy the the fruits of your labor? :thumbup:

Or.... ???

dave.gt

Uhm, I'm reticent to create further controversy on this site, but have you cast a Loomis Asquith? Dante may also be a fly fisherman.

Tight lines...
_R
Ah, yes, Dante is most definitely a fly fisherman! :) ... that may be why we get along so well, being so laid back and all. LOL...

Sadly, I have not tried many different fly rods, only because my riding buddy over the years has been an Orvis certified instructor and I had so many rods to use, both his and mine. I know Loomis, though!:thumbup:

The only other was a custom bamboo rod (long story). It was his and I immediately became addicted to it!:thumbup:

Since then, the mountain trout north of here have become my friends, seemingly greeting me each time I arrive at the streams, whichever one I select. They don't seem to care what name is on my gear, either. None of which is high-tech! Hand-made rod, hand-made flies, etc. Everything else is low-tech, inexpensive, and comfortable.

Other than the latest medical and communication devices, for obvious reasons, there is not much to be distracted by and one is liberated for awhile.

Enough talk... we should post some photographs!!!!:thumbs:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
What is wrong with me? I never take pictures in Autumn. I had to go back to 2013 from a getDPI Maine Workshop to find something:

Well, there ARE the Columbus Day football games...

I still think the Canon 1 series from 2005 has better AF than anything mirrorless now. (Haven't tried the A9)

This is titled "oops..."

Matt

dave.gt

Amazing how color adds depth... even when a footballer has just one job... catch the ball!:ROTFL:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Beautiful lake photo!!!! Great mood, perfect composition.:thumbs:
Guy noticed the spot. That was one of the great things about those workshops. Not only do you visit beautiful places, but you learn to recognize opportunities for composition. That and the food :grin:

dave.gt

It's not the camera, it's the photographer, right?:grin:

Love it!

Fall is our favorite time of the year... what better time to get out and shoot? Looking forward to more of your color images, especially from this Autumn season!:)

dave.gt

Heh, heh...

Just ordered a 5-roll pack of Velvia 100.... just couldn't help it...:loco:

:thumbs:

dave.gt

Loaded!:thumbup:

Velvia is now loaded in one film back and the rest of the rolls are secure in the case. My fly rod is strapped to the backpack, and all I need is to keep an eye on the camera batteries.

Now a little more car maintenance, a few more miles of backpacking, and watching the local trees turn colors. We received the first rain of any measurement for the first time yesterday in several months.:)

The sun is coming up, as it usually does, and despite the stresses all around, there is much to be grateful for and we are... very much so.

My soul longs for the mountains, and they await!:cool:

dave.gt

*Important Alert:Today is National Coffee Day.:salute:

Question for you, the reader of this one-sided discussion... I am curious. Aside from discussing "first-world problems", whatever those are; or lamenting the high-costs of photography; or the problems with the world of photography around us; or the pursuit of the perfect camera to make the perfect images, I would like to know:

If today was your birthday, what would YOU do on such an auspicious day? Live it like it was your last? It may be. Help those in need? Plenty of opportunity there. Make it completely photography-centered? An interesting endeavor which could encompass the first two ways to spend your day.

If you chose the latter, and wanted to immerse yourself in a day-long birthday photography experience, what would you do?:thumbup:

For me, paraphrasing/butchering a famous quote: of the all the paths I walk today, I will choose one that is dirt. :thumbs:

Godfrey

Oh, and tonight, I will once again watch the Netflix film, Kodachrome, with Ed Harris, to begin a relaxing photography-related movie-viewing period of time before we head north in October. :thumbup:

The limits of high-tech are now in control for me once again.:)
:D

Thanks for the movie reference. I have that on my Netflix list, will watch it this week.

Regards what I'm doing photographically ... I just returned from a fantastic four-day trip to Hollywood, San Diego, and San Luis Obispo. Went to an electronica dance concert, visited two good friends (both photographers, artists, and science heads like me) ... Now I have a little collection of photographs and videos from the trip, made with Leica CL, Polaroid SX-70, and iPhone 8 Plus that I'm editing together.

The Polaroid still has five sheets of B&W to expose in it, so that's what's in my bicycle carry bag as I ride my daily loop right now. :)

G

dave.gt

:D

Thanks for the movie reference. I have that on my Netflix list, will watch it this week.

Regards what I'm doing photographically ... I just returned from a fantastic four-day trip to Hollywood, San Diego, and San Luis Obispo. Went to an electronica dance concert, visited two good friends (both photographers, artists, and science heads like me) ... Now I have a little collection of photographs and videos from the trip, made with Leica CL, Polaroid SX-70, and iPhone 8 Plus that I'm editing together.

The Polaroid still has five sheets of B&W to expose in it, so that's what's in my bicycle carry bag as I ride my daily loop right now. :)

G
Godfrey,

It would be great if you posted some images from your latest trip! Who knows, I may wind with an SX70 or something!:grin:

Hmmm... that brings up a good question about Gasselblad Polaroid backs. What kind of film do they use? Is any on the market these days for purchase???

Godfrey

Godfrey,

It would be great if you posted some images from your latest trip! Who knows, I may wind with an SX70 or something!:grin:

Hmmm... that brings up a good question about Gasselblad Polaroid backs. What kind of film do they use? Is any on the market these days for purchase???
I have a bunch of SX-70 prints to capture from two trips now ... I've done a few quick scans so here's one :

Polaroid SLR670a by MiNT
Polaroid Originals 600 B&W film
Scanned on Epson 7100

Not the highest quality scan, but a decent representation of the print. :)

I have four Polaroid SX-70s ... One an original from 1973 that my uncle bought new then and gave to me in 2011, the others are all now the refurbished and upgraded MiNT SLR670 series (I have a, m, and x variants). The major advantage to the SLR670 series are both the ability to use the faster 600 class films and (with the m and x) the ability to set exposure manually. Plus the fact that the camera has been overhauled and is known to be good...

The latest Polaroid Originals films are very good ... the color film is really nice now, and the ability to use B&W film in an SX-70 is something that Polaroid never offered back in the day. I have a host of accessories for these cameras, including filters, wide and tele lens extensions, close up lenses, tripod adapter, remote release and self timer accessories, and electronic flash units. I find the cameras an absolute kick to work with, even though there is a good bit of learning curve involved. Once you get it, you rarely waste a frame (which is good, because at $2 per sheet it gets expensive to waste film).

Fun stuff. I was more heartbroken with the notion that Polaroid integral film was nearly gone than with any other film type or camera. The fact that a couple of crazy people decided to take on putting the film back into production is something that I just can't express enough of the amazement and wonder I have for their efforts. :D

The Hasselblad-Polaroid film backs take Polaroid pack film ... I have one. Pack typ film is now completely out of production, the Fuji F100c was the last and is still available in limited quantities on Ebay and via specialty suppliers, but it's rapidly going away. Results can be good, but the back and the output were never really intended as 'final products'.

The best use of such images from my experiments was to retrieve the negative, scan that, and render it digitally for quality work. It's a great deal of effort ... The SX-70 camera was/is the ultimate instant film camera of all time, by comparison. :)

G