The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H Versatility

dave.gt

Tomorrow, Velvia will once again arrive on my doorstep.:thumbup: Along with a freezer full of expired and fresh 120 and 220 film, I am delighted that the Studio's H5D-50c will be used as it should be...a versatile, multi-format, high-performance medium format camera.

The Fall season is here now! The holidays are just around the corner! So, what better time than to shoot medium format film?

Oddly, I have seen/heard very little of other H (and V, too...) users actually shooting film. Why is that?:loco:

The magic of slide film has never gone away. The film is still here and available to purchase and development/scan. I am even looking at the HB 120 film projector that is for sale/trade on another forum.:bugeyes:

Yes, I know... digital convenience, cost difference, etc. But I also know the sheer joy of opening an archive box from the 1970s and earlier to hold the very images I made so long ago and admire the gorgeous images that look like new. The recent Velvia I shot is wonderful to view through a loupe. There is nothing like the experience. I even have Provia which I haven't used in ages. And TriX, and so many other films waiting to be used.

It is curious that photographers become entrenched in camps, almost tribal in nature. For me, I enjoy all of photography in so many different formats. The cost is high these days so I am forced to limit my usage of film to special occasions. I have little time to develop/scan and process film, so I leave it up to my buddy's photo lab. When I get the scanned images back, they are gorgeous but not as stunning as looking at the slides through a loupe.:grin:

So, why is it that there exist cameras available to all at a reasonable price (H1/H2/etc...) that one can enjoy a little film photography with B/W, Color, and Transparencies yet no one really does?

Perhaps it is time for something different... like an acoustical guitar... so why not give it a try? I shall be shooting a lot of 120 film in the coming months! :thumbs:

darr

... So, why is it that there exist cameras available to all at a reasonable price (H1/H2/etc...) that one can enjoy a little film photography with B/W, Color, and Transparencies yet no one really does?

Hi Dave,

I actually do shoot a bit of film. I would have to say about 25% of what I shoot these days is with film.

Although I own a bunch of Hasselblad gear (V series not H), I use my Hasselblad film backs a lot more with my ALPA cameras because the ALPAs are lighter to pack, carry and use.
But, I do love my Hasselblad lenses with film. Below is a shot done while testing out a film back from 1957.

I have only begun to start back with color film, mainly Portra, but I have to develop it and currently waiting on chemicals to be delivered.
In my past career, I shot a ton of 4x5" Ektachrome, Velvia and VPS II and III (replaced by Portra), but I enjoy B&W more with film for projects.

I understand your love for the autumn snap as the Yanks use to call it when I lived up north.
Some of the most beautiful environmental portraits I made where of my sister and her family in Lancaster, Pennsylvania; talk about color!! :shocked:

I am so happy you enjoy the versatility of your H camera -- I understand your passion!!

Happy Autumn to You and Yours, and Happy Shooting,
Darr

Hasselblad 501CM + 120mm CFi + Tri-X + Pyrocat HD​

dave.gt

Hi Dave,

I actually do shoot a bit of film. I would have to say about 25% of what I shoot these days is with film.

Although I own a bunch of Hasselblad gear (V series not H), I use my Hasselblad film backs a lot more with my ALPA cameras because the ALPAs are lighter to pack, carry and use.
But, I do love my Hasselblad lenses with film. Below is a shot done while testing out a film back from 1957.

I have only begun to start back with color film, mainly Portra, but I have to develop it and currently waiting on chemicals to be delivered.
In my past career, I shot a ton of 4x5" Ektachrome, Velvia and VPS II and III (replaced by Portra), but I enjoy B&W more with film for projects.

I understand your love for the autumn snap as the Yanks use to call it when I lived up north.
Some of the most beautiful environmental portraits I made where of my sister and her family in Lancaster, Pennsylvania; talk about color!! :shocked:

I am so happy you enjoy the versatility of your H camera -- I understand your passion!!

Darr

Thanks, Darr!:)

Pyrocat!!! Cool! I absolutely love that Camellia image!!!

You have just inspired me to shoot a roll of TriX first. I have five rolls languishing in my backpack and for some reason, I haven't been motivated to shoot florals or landscapes with it. Hmmm.... I guess I am suffering a little from digi-blindness lately. Somehow the 50c b/w conversions just haven't clicked with me yet.

Time for TriX over the next few weeks!

Now to be creative... my ** birthday is only a few days away and it would be fun to do something photo-related rather than a banal observance. But what...?:facesmack:

dave.gt

A small side excursion with the film back during a morning Skyline shoot of Mid-Town Atlanta.

H5D + Film Back:

darr

Thanks, Darr!:)

Pyrocat!!! Cool! I absolutely love that Camellia image!!!

You have just inspired me to shoot a roll of TriX first. I have five rolls languishing in my backpack and for some reason, I haven't been motivated to shoot florals or landscapes with it. Hmmm.... I guess I am suffering a little from digi-blindness lately. Somehow the 50c b/w conversions just haven't clicked with me yet.

Time for TriX over the next few weeks!

Now to be creative... my ** birthday is only a few days away and it would be fun to do something photo-related rather than a banal observance. But what...?:facesmack:
Dave,

Wishing you a lovely birthday!!

I still prefer B&W film over digital conversion. Digital is an incredible tool, but I see film still giving something very unique. Film has this beautiful layer of diffusion IMO that is created when the light bounces off it and through it that digital does not have. I cannot replicate it through post processing either. Digital to me has an incredible sharpness to it, but sometimes my artistic cravings do not involve sharpness, but the recipe of old lenses and film.

Happy ** Birthday!! 🎂
Darr

dave.gt

Dave,

Wishing you a lovely birthday!!

I still prefer B&W film over digital conversion. Digital is an incredible tool, but I see film still giving something very unique. Film has this beautiful layer of diffusion IMO that is created when the light bounces off it and through it that digital does not have. I cannot replicate it through post processing either. Digital to me has an incredible sharpness to it, but sometimes my artistic cravings do not involve sharpness, but the recipe of old lenses and film.

Happy ** Birthday!! 🎂
Darr
Ah, thank you, Darr! That is very kind and I appreciate it very much.:thumbup:

I think on Sunday, I will shoot only TriX. No digital captures at all. This will require a deliberate re-wiring of my brain as I have been conditioned to approach shooting with color digital capture in mind.

Now, I will be thinking differently. This should be quite interesting!:thumbs:

ErikKaffehr

Hi Dave,

Darr

Hi Darr,

A really nice image. I woould need to put some film into those A12 backs of mine!

I am on a trip to Europe with my RV, some images here: https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Dolomites-2019-FL/

One thing I discovered is that Italian wine doesn’t mix well with laptops. So there is a lot of stuff I don’t share. Also, it was wasting perfectly good wine!

Best regards
Erik

Best regards
Erik

sog1927

Tomorrow, Velvia will once again arrive on my doorstep.:thumbup: Along with a freezer full of expired and fresh 120 and 220 film, I am delighted that the Studio's H5D-50c will be used as it should be...a versatile, multi-format, high-performance medium format camera.

The Fall season is here now! The holidays are just around the corner! So, what better time than to shoot medium format film?

Oddly, I have seen/heard very little of other H (and V, too...) users actually shooting film. Why is that?:loco:

The magic of slide film has never gone away. The film is still here and available to purchase and development/scan. I am even looking at the HB 120 film projector that is for sale/trade on another forum.:bugeyes:

Yes, I know... digital convenience, cost difference, etc. But I also know the sheer joy of opening an archive box from the 1970s and earlier to hold the very images I made so long ago and admire the gorgeous images that look like new. The recent Velvia I shot is wonderful to view through a loupe. There is nothing like the experience. I even have Provia which I haven't used in ages. And TriX, and so many other films waiting to be used.

It is curious that photographers become entrenched in camps, almost tribal in nature. For me, I enjoy all of photography in so many different formats. The cost is high these days so I am forced to limit my usage of film to special occasions. I have little time to develop/scan and process film, so I leave it up to my buddy's photo lab. When I get the scanned images back, they are gorgeous but not as stunning as looking at the slides through a loupe.:grin:

So, why is it that there exist cameras available to all at a reasonable price (H1/H2/etc...) that one can enjoy a little film photography with B/W, Color, and Transparencies yet no one really does?

Perhaps it is time for something different... like an acoustical guitar... so why not give it a try? I shall be shooting a lot of 120 film in the coming months! :thumbs:
I still have a freezer full of Velvia and the A12 magazines to go with it.

Hausen

I am still shooting film. Mostly 120 on my Fuji GF670W when I am travelling. I like to shoot street art on film and the Fuji is awesome because it is wide and compact. I am in Brisbane/Gold Coast Australia next week and will certainly get in amongst the street art there with some 120, you have inspired me and I will take along some Velvia.

dave.gt

I am still shooting film. Mostly 120 on my Fuji GF670W when I am travelling. I like to shoot street art on film and the Fuji is awesome because it is wide and compact. I am in Brisbane/Gold Coast Australia next week and will certainly get in amongst the street art there with some 120, you have inspired me and I will take along some Velvia.
Hey!!! There ya go... sounds like a great trip.:thumbup:

Please post your results here... the point of my thread really is the use of film. We are all in this together and enjoying whatever you use.:):):)

rmueller

Hi Dave,

wish you a Happy Birthday and a long and lovely autumn season shooting.

I do shoot film and MF. Mostly Kodak Portra 160 and 400 with Hassi 500, 200 and SWC.

Having said that, i still have tons of transparency stuff around and I'm glad i stocked up WESS Slide Mounts and the
puncher to get the MF slides into a controlled position in the mount. I must admit though, i haven't used transparency film for quite some time now. I don't like Velvia much, too saturated colors IMO, i was shooting Provia more. But now that you mention slide film i will order a pack of Ektachrome and see what I can get out of it.

Thanks so much for reminding me of the good old projector times and having slide film on a light table with a loupe.

Regards,
Ralf

fullsizeoutput_53b.jpg

fullsizeoutput_53c.jpg

dave.gt

Hi Dave,

wish you a Happy Birthday and a long and lovely autumn season shooting.

I do shoot film and MF. Mostly Kodak Portra 160 and 400 with Hassi 500, 200 and SWC.

Having said that, i still have tons of transparency stuff around and I'm glad i stocked up WESS Slide Mounts and the
puncher to get the MF slides into a controlled position in the mount. I must admit though, i haven't used transparency film for quite some time now. I don't like Velvia much, too saturated colors IMO, i was shooting Provia more. But now that you mention slide film i will order a pack of Ektachrome and see what I can get out of it.

Thanks so much for reminding me of the good old projector times and having slide film on a light table with a loupe.

Regards,
Ralf
Thank you for the birthday wishes. I appreciate it, it was a lonely one but I am back in gear now.:)

Yes, Velvia is really different! I have a freezer full of expired films but I have certain subjects in mind where I think Velvia would do better. We will see, sadly though, I don't have a projector. But the loupe is addictive!!!LOL...

I won't have an opportunity to shoot slide film until later this month and into November and then I will send it to Dwayne's for processing and scanning.

Maybe I will post some by December? I don't mind the wait... I will be busy shooting all new subjects and when they do send me the final images, it will be a second time experience of re-living the shots and enjoying the results. It is cool how anticipation is rewarded with that rerun of emotions and seeing the results with a fresh eye!:thumbs:

TheDude

will order a pack of Ektachrome and see what I can get out of it
Shame that Ilfochrome/Cibachrome is no longer available. This was the end of transparencies for me.

I feel that digital capture is now superior to film but Ilfochrome/Cibachrome is still superior to digital printout. (Please feel free to disagree.)

rmueller

Shame that Ilfochrome/Cibachrome is no longer available. This was the end of transparencies for me.

I feel that digital capture is now superior to film but Ilfochrome/Cibachrome is still superior to digital printout. (Please feel free to disagree.)
I agree regarding image quality of digital capture and what you say about Ilfochrome/Cibachrome. However, the reason i'm still using transparencies is much more about the process itself and how I'd like to present the images to an audience. For example, i have an old Liesegang MF projector, all manual operation and sometimes I'm putting together a series of 10-15 images to tell a story. Projecting the images with all the caveats of dust, noise of the projector etc. conveys certain stories so much better than showing digital printouts or images on a computer screen IMO.

Best Regards, Ralf

dave.gt

I agree regarding image quality of digital capture and what you say about Ilfochrome/Cibachrome. However, the reason i'm still using transparencies is much more about the process itself and how I'd like to present the images to an audience. For example, i have an old Liesegang MF projector, all manual operation and sometimes I'm putting together a series of 10-15 images to tell a story. Projecting the images with all the caveats of dust, noise of the projector etc. conveys certain stories so much better than showing digital printouts or images on a computer screen IMO.

Best Regards, Ralf
Ralf,

Thank you for that descriptive discussion of why a projector is still relevant today. It is important to remember, or learn, the nuances of interesting presentation and how everything contributes to the presentation. The texture of the presentation is completely different when one uses the older MF and 35mm projectors. The senses of vision, sound, hearing and yes, smell, add to the experience. And if anyone actually holds a slide to load or even view, then the sense of touch is included. The use of digital projectors is less than sensual, and of course it does have its place in a fast-paced presentation.

Subject matter, audience size, and, even the speaker contribute to the presentation. In comparing my images last night of the old mill nearby, the Leica S image was sharper in some respects, but the H5 Velvia images had differences that were noticeable and, more natural. Even the colors were similar but different.

It is very cool and inspiring to see you using your MF projector!:thumbs:

However,

takomaru

Dude, hi: it is still available but by very few printers and results are way better tkan before. I did print analog from transparencies and digitaly in Cibachrome with a Chromira station, it is interesting to note the superiority of the Analog and now, with the benefit of modern technology, the availability of LED technology in Interpositive Medium Format that does some amazing 40 inch prints. Arri and CGG both promoted this technology and my last prints where the best ever, Bauhaus in LA does offer this service now, and I love it, their slides will blow your socks off!!!...

Regards,

Victor

TheDude

is much more about the process itself and how I'd like to present the images to an audience. ... conveys certain stories so much better than showing digital printouts or images on a computer screen
Yes, I can understand that.

Especially if the images themselves fit to such a presentation.

TheDude

still available but by very few printers and results are way better tkan before. ... Bauhaus in LA does offer this service now
There was a small segment about Christopher Burkett on PBS NewsHour documenting his Ilfochrome/Cibachrome printing. Apparently the P-30 chemicals are the problem. He got a chemist to reverse-engineer the P-30 chemicals (the bleach is supposed to be rather tricky).

But I wonder at what stage the age of the paper becomes an issue (even if deep frozen).

Thank you for pointing out "Bauhaus LA". Will check them out.

Last edited: