The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX100 Messenger type Shoulder bag?

ron787

Hello,
I've grown accustomed to the easy access that messenger styled bags afford and I wonder if any GFX100 owners have found one that might work with this camera and, for example, a GF45mm attached?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hello,
I've grown accustomed to the easy access that messenger styled bags afford and I wonder if any GFX100 owners have found one that might work with this camera and, for example, a GF45mm attached?
I used an old Domke. Worked fine.

ron787

Domke Medium Messenger.
Thank you.
I rummaged through my collection of camera bags and came across a leather messenger styled bag—made in India—that I'd purchased from Amazon, fits perfectly and is light. Additionally, I have a few Billinghams that would work, but they are heavier than the leather bag and are a nuisance to open and close.
But thanks again for your suggestion.

ron787

Domke Medium Messenger.
After much trial and error, I've finally found a messenger styled, shoulder bag that accommodates the GFX100 with various GF
lenses attached ... the ONA Astoria. Unfortunately, it is constructed of my least favorite material, waxed canvas, but the interior is well padded and it comes with more configurable dividers than one would require for the GFX. It's not inexpensive, but neither is the camera, and the GFX deserves a bag that can offer protection and easy portage. But the waxed canvas scratches and scuffs if you just look at it the wrong way. In fact, it came scratched and scuffed straight out of the sealed, manufacturer's box. If they had seen fit to manufacture the Astoria out of leather it would be, IMO, the perfect solution.

I had given the Domke a try, but felt that it did not offer enough padded protection for a 10K camera and lenses. I prefer a bag that has some structure to it, that not only adds protection, but facilitates one-handed removal and replacement of the camera. Floppy structured bags, when slung over a shoulder, ofter require two hands during the camera replacement effort, and while that is often possible, there are times when the second hand is busy elsewhere.

ron787

I like the Oberwerth Willam I got for my 50R-not sure if it will work fot the 100.
I own two Oberwerth bags, both are Munchens, and I love them, but they are 4.5" in front to back depth and that simply won't accommodate the GFX100. And neither will the William, which has the same depth. Even Oberwerth's largest bag, the Porto, will not work.
I tried contacting Oberwerth to see if they would consider making a one off bag that has a depth of 6", the minimum required for the GFX100, but their website's contact form was not working and there was no other means of communicating with them ... I gave up. The only messenger styled bag that I could find, following my extensive search, that had the necessary depth was the ONA Astoria. I received it yesterday, and the camera fits snugly, but securely. It will definitely not shake about, but it is still easy to remove and replace.

Pelorus

What about a Billingham 225? I have one and I was surprised how well it swallowed the 50R and a couple of lenses. You'd maybe have to test the sizes. It's also a great bag to work out of - the top flap folds back between you and the bag and the zip sides tuck down behind the padding.

I don't do shoulder bags anymore out of deference to the titanium in my spine. If I did this would be the bag I'd use.

ron787

What about a Billingham 225? I have one and I was surprised how well it swallowed the 50R and a couple of lenses. You'd maybe have to test the sizes. It's also a great bag to work out of - the top flap folds back between you and the bag and the zip sides tuck down behind the padding.

I don't do shoulder bags anymore out of deference to the titanium in my spine. If I did this would be the bag I'd use.
Thank you for the suggestion, but the 50R is much smaller than the GFX100, and the 225 still embodies the same issues with closure that I'd mentioned in my last post. There are just too many maneuvers, for my taste, required to open and seal a Billingham. While the bag is quite well sealed once it is closed, I've found the entire process to be a nuisance in the field. As mentioned, I own two large Billinghams that I've chosen not to use, and will likely never use. In addition, the models in question are too bulky for my taste.

You might question why I'd purchased my Billinghams in the first place. Well, they'd been acquired many years ago, when the options were few and I'd required large bags for Rollei and Hasselblad film bodies, lenses, film and so on. But those cameras are long gone and camera bag designs have become more plentiful and modern, to wit, the messenger style shoulder carry bag.

Sorry to hear about your spine issue. I suffer from a neck and back injury myself, but have found that shoulder carry is best for my circumstance, but that said, I tend to drastically minimize the overall carry weight, and limit the bag's contents to a maximum of the attached lens and occasionally one other.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
After much trial and error, I've finally found a messenger styled, shoulder bag that accommodates the GFX100 with various GF
lenses attached ... the ONA Astoria. Unfortunately, it is constructed of my least favorite material, waxed canvas, but the interior is well padded and it comes with more configurable dividers than one would require for the GFX. It's not inexpensive, but neither is the camera, and the GFX deserves a bag that can offer protection and easy portage. But the waxed canvas scratches and scuffs if you just look at it the wrong way. In fact, it came scratched and scuffed straight out of the sealed, manufacturer's box. If they had seen fit to manufacture the Astoria out of leather it would be, IMO, the perfect solution.
I'm glad you found a solution you like. It looks like a lovely bag, as are all the ONA bags I've seen in person. My only concern would be weight. But everyone has different limiting factors that determine their choices.

Enjoy!

ron787

I'm glad you found a solution you like. It looks like a lovely bag, as are all the ONA bags I've seen in person. My only concern would be weight. But everyone has different limiting factors that determine their choices.

Enjoy!
Thank you.
But, honestly, I haven't found the Billinghams to be all that light either.
However, IMO, there is no perfect camera bag, my storeroom full of discards serves as testimony. And requirements inevitably change as time goes by. So today's panacea may end up in tomorrow's trash bin.

As previously noted, for physical reasons, I no longer carry every conceivable accessory and lens, and forcing myself to use just what I have available has improved my photographic perspective. For example, I often carry a Panasonic S1R with just a Leica SL 75mm lens attached, rather than a heavy SL or Lumix zoom.

Thank you.
But, honestly, I haven't found the Billinghams to be all that light either.
However, IMO, there is no perfect camera bag, my storeroom full of discards serves as testimony. And requirements inevitably change as time goes by. So today's panacea may end up in tomorrow's trash bin.

As previously noted, for physical reasons, I no longer carry every conceivable accessory and lens, and forcing myself to use just what I have available has improved my photographic perspective. For example, I often carry a Panasonic S1R with just a Leica SL 75mm lens attached, rather than a heavy SL or Lumix zoom.
Just my 2 cents, but I would have a hard time to use a shoulder bag that is heavier than my gear. I have a Thinktank Retrospective 30 and a dothebag ( not sure it is still in production). Both are about 1kg and take the GFX100 with the long tiltable viewfinder and 2 additional lenses and some extra stuff.

Wolfgang

Attachments

ron787

Just my 2 cents, but I would have a hard time to use a shoulder bag that is heavier than my gear. I have a Thinktank Retrospective 30 and a dothebag ( not sure it is still in production). Both are about 1kg and take the GFX100 with the long tiltable viewfinder and 2 additional lenses and some extra stuff.

Wolfgang
Hi,
I agree, that in most instances lighter is better.
Some time ago, and not for use with the GFX, I had ordered and received the aforementioned Thinktank bag. My problem with it, and bags of similar construction, is that they lack rigid structure. Some people like that feature because it allows the bag to be expanded beyond its normally stated dimensions, and others, like myself, prefer greater rigidity and heavier interior padding, because with it comes increased protection, albeit, at the expense of added weight. But, that's why there are a plethora of camera bags in the market, because we all have different requirements. But to address your concern, the GFX100 with, for example, GF 110 mounted weighs 5.7lbs, the ONA Astoria, empty, has a stated weight of 3.7 lbs, but it actually feels lighter in hand. That said, I'm not associated with ONA, or any other bag manufacturer, but if I'd had my druthers I would have chosen an even heavier all leather bag, they just don't seem to exist with the correct dimensions.