The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phase One Firmware for IQ, XF, and XT

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Dear All,

I installed the new firmware. It caused serious problems with the tech cam (pretty much unusable) as well as FA with the XF (more than 50% of the times).
I was very excited when I first heard about it, especially with the FA. It turns out to be very disappointing!
I have to leave town tomorrow for fall shooting.
How can I delete the new firmware and convert the firmware to the previous version?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Pramote

Last edited:

BFD

Dear All,

I installed the new firmware. It caused serious problems with the tech cam (pretty much unusable) as well as FA with the XF (more than 50% of the times).
I was very excited when I first heard about it, especially with the FA. It turns out to be very disappointing!
I have to leave town tomorrow for fall shooting.
How can I delete the new firmware and convert the firmware to the previous version?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Pramote
Pretty sure you can just download the last firmware you were happy with and use the firmware updater to load it on your back.

ShaunQ

Still haven't seen it posted anywhere, but does this firmware update benefit XF/IQ3 users in anyway? Although the XF is mentioned, nowhere does it say if the firmware brings or includes changes to using the XF with an IQ3 series back.

vjbelle

I'm a little late to this but to echo what anyone else has said the 'ISO' only adjustment on a tech camera is useless for me. I don't know why shutter speed couldn't also have been incorporated. Just don't get it......

Victor

vjbelle

To substantiate what others have said about Frame Averaging it is completely broken on a Tech Camera. I do not understand how this could be released.

Victor

vjbelle

The virtual horizon tool is available in live view but is disabled if the histogram tool is used. This means that although DT suggested to leave the tool on all of the time that option isn't available - at least on a tech camera.

So that's three for three for me. Histogram doesn't work properly for me, Frame averaging is broken and virtual horizon doesn't work as it should.

Victor

Last edited:

Pemihan

Still haven't seen it posted anywhere, but does this firmware update benefit XF/IQ3 users in anyway? Although the XF is mentioned, nowhere does it say if the firmware brings or includes changes to using the XF with an IQ3 series back.
Don't count on it. IMO the IQ3 has long been abandoned by P1 :thumbdown:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
To substantiate what others have said about Frame Averaging it is completely broken on a Tech Camera. I do not understand how this could be released.

Victor
The Frame Averaging is not only broken on the Tech Camera but also on the XF !!! I've just deleted the most recent firmware last night because it not only was useless for my XF and Tech Cam, but also ruined many functions on both cameras and made them unusable to be used in the field.

P1 should be ashamed of this firmware upgrading. I decided last night I will no longer investing in Phase One until they prove themselves and behave better.

I've been using the Sony A7R IV (I skipped the A7R III upgrade) for few weeks and start to wonder why I've still used the Phase One. The technology on the A7R IV is million miles more advance than the IQ4150 and XF. And from what I've heard, they listen to users/reviewers and continue to improve their products. I've been very impressed in learning how they come this far since the introduction of the A7R product lines.

The recent firmware updates, abandon of the IQ3100 and the Tech Cam users and misleading (either intentional or by mistake) of product information make me completely loss confident in the company.

I am a royal customer and have been upgrading the Phase One with all their generations since the IQ180.

If they don't improve their quality and ethic, the IQ4150 and the XF will absolutely be my last purchases with them.

Last edited:

Gerd

............. often developers get involved in feature creep, adding stuff that nobody really needs at the expense of core functionality.

Subject: Core functionality
I have complained to the Apple support that I can not use the core functionality of the iphone XS because of the constant disconnections during calls. I was then taught that phoning is not the core functionality of a smartphone ...
Your may be right ...

... we just have to find out what the basic core functionality of IQ4 is?

Seriously - is there any further information now, when PhaseOne updates the current firmware?

Greeting Gerd

buildbot

Looking at the phase one job board it looks like there are hiring many software and embedded engineers, so maybe they are currently running a little understaffed...

I wonder how many people here are software/embedded engineers - it would be pretty amazing if phase would open source their firmware, and have passionate people here contribute to it.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
it would be pretty amazing if phase would open source their firmware, and have passionate people here contribute to it.
I would absolutely love that.

It is now a UNIX based system, so it's a lot more possible than it would have been on the IQ3 and earlier which used a proprietary kernel.

(this post should not be construed as a nod that this is coming; just my own opinion)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We've updated our blog article noting a critical error in Frame Averaging. We agree with the consensus that if you plan to use Frame Averaging you should not do this update.

My grandfather taught me that if you're in a hole the first thing to do is stop digging. Phase One has made several firmware releases over the last year that contained significant bugs; it's very important to users, dealers, and to themselves, that they improve their firmware testing process.

erlingmm

We've updated our blog article noting a critical error in Frame Averaging. We agree with the consensus that if you plan to use Frame Averaging you should not do this update.

My grandfather taught me that if you're in a hole the first thing to do is stop digging. Phase One has made several firmware releases over the last year that contained significant bugs; it's very important to users, dealers, and to themselves, that they improve their firmware testing process.
How can I roll back to previous version?

vjbelle

Revert to the DB original firmware which is available in settings. Then install the previous update which is available on the PhaseOne site incase you don't have it.

Victor

Christopher

This is getting embarrassing on a whole new level... we are talking about 50k products, which after nearly a year still feel like beta products. I honestly currently can NOT recommend to anyone to invest in a product from a company who completely dropped the ball. I honestly don’t get it. I have been a huge Phase One user, still have two full systems, but honestly, this last year has been ridiculous...

It’s a shame, especially at the moment where you have Fuji with a great system. Why would anyone invest 50k plus if you can get 99% of that with a GFX System for 18k....

Mexecutioner

This is getting embarrassing on a whole new level... we are talking about 50k products, which after nearly a year still feel like beta products. I honestly currently can NOT recommend to anyone to invest in a product from a company who completely dropped the ball. I honestly don’t get it. I have been a huge Phase One user, still have two full systems, but honestly, this last year has been ridiculous...

It’s a shame, especially at the moment where you have Fuji with a great system. Why would anyone invest 50k plus if you can get 99% of that with a GFX System for 18k....
It is hard to grasp how they seem to do this with every release. Maybe their key people quit or were hired by someone else and they are left with rookies trying to figure this out and reverse engineer the code.