Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Phase One Firmware for IQ, XF, and XT

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Phase One Firmware for IQ, XF, and XT

Quote Originally Posted by buildbot View Post
    What's weird if that it is fairly standard Linux, and not some really wonky Wifi chip, setting up an adhoc network takes almost no effort...

Anyone have a broken IQ4 they want to disassemble and see what's up inside?
    I might shortly as sometimes my blood boils during use and I am tempted to hurl the thing at the closest wall. You should have seen me the other day trying to make the HDMI a useful tool with a small monitor and then realizing that the back is incapable of doing anything remotely useful with the HDMI out. I'll keep you posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post
    When using frame averaging with the XF, it froze > 50% of the time.
    With tech camera, the FA didn't work at all.
    Pramote,

can you recall under what conditions/settings frame averaging froze on the XF?

In my tests it worked all the time as expected on the XF with the new firmware.

Has anybody else had issues with frame averaging in the new firmware on the XF?

-Dominique

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARZZEIT View Post
    Pramote,

-Dominique

I will test tonight when I get home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
    I will test tonight when I get home.
    Just tested with the XF, ran 5 FA sequences ranging from 10 seconds to 1 min. 40 secs. and they all worked fine saving L16IIQ Files. So at least in my case it seems to be working well.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    To substantiate what others have said about Frame Averaging it is completely broken on a Tech Camera. I do not understand how this could be released.

Victor
    Because now they only care about their own tech cam and not ours.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What's weird if that it is fairly standard Linux, and not some really wonky Wifi chip, setting up an adhoc network takes almost no effort...

Anyone have a broken IQ4 they want to disassemble and see what's up inside?
    It's full of Huawei chips
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    I have been in the field for 10 days. So now I read this and I have no idea what will happen if I update my IQ4 Achromatic.

So Update or no?
    No!

I had this discussion today with CI - there are bugs in the automatic frame averaging so conservatively you probably should wait a few weeks.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

The World is a book, and those that do not travel read only one page ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    It’s a shame, especially at the moment where you have Fuji with a great system. Why would anyone invest 50k plus if you can get 99% of that with a GFX System for 18k....
    Or, in today’s used market, you could buy a ROCK solid IQ3-100 for even less.

I upgraded with both eyes open but, heck, the IQ3-100 variants are still superb and offer IQ advantages over the Fuji system (which in full disclosure I shoot, own and love too).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Or, in todayís used market, you could buy a ROCK solid IQ3-100 for even less.

I upgraded with both eyes open but, heck, the IQ3-100 variants are still superb and offer IQ advantages over the Fuji system (which in full disclosure I shoot, own and love too).
    I agree, the IQ3-100 is such a solid back both user wise and quality wise. We still use it on commercial jobs without even thinking twice. The IQ4-150 mostly sits in the camera case.

I'm not sure why everyone is so hot on the frame averaging feature of the IQ4. Even with the IQ3, for about 99% of everything we shoot we can get everything in one capture because the dynamic range is so good. It keeps all the highlights and shadows in one capture in the RAW file. We almost never have problems with shadow noise when recovering shadow details in Capture One. The IQ4 has an even wider dynamic range. But from all the complaints of the IQ4 and the firmware it seems like the frame averaging is a huge feature that everyone cares so much about. But really, how often would you really need to use it unless you are doing a lot of night captures.

Post Thanks / Like

I think people are misinformed as to why this firmware was released.

The only reason it was released in this manner was due to the XT launch they needed to have a firmware that could work with their demo units etc.

Even the added features address only the XT users, and not existing tech camera users.

Existing users were not considered for this update.

A far simpler message for phase would have been if they simply mentioned that this firmware is not intended for existing users and only for XT demo's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boinger View Post
    I think people are misinformed as to why this firmware was released.

The only reason it was released in this manner was due to the XT launch they needed to have a firmware that could work with their demo units etc.

Even the added features address only the XT users, and not existing tech camera users.

Existing users were not considered for this update.

A far simpler message for phase would have been if they simply mentioned that this firmware is not intended for existing users and only for XT demo's.
    Except it seems to have introduced a number of bugs that affects existing users (both XF and tech cameras).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Except it seems to have introduced a number of bugs that affects existing users (both XF and tech cameras).
    I agree, very poor execution. I’m in the software/cloud business and we try to adhere the hippocratic oath of do no harm ... when it comes to upgrades in particular.

You need a full set of regression test cases on all platforms (ok, three, maybe four+ if you include industrial). If you pass ALL of the test cases then put it into alpha/beta with users who’ll stress the platform and only then go to public beta / conditional release.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pramote,

-Dominique
    I had it with IQ4 Achromatic, which is why I initially believed that it would only be Achromatic Back. Yesterday I tried to repeat it on the XF, but since I had no failures.

I will not test it further as I will switch back to the previous firmware to avoid further unpleasant surprises. In the dumbest case, they cost money ...

Greeting Gerd

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pramote,

-Dominique
    Dominique,

My XF just came back from Phase One few months ago and worked well with the previous firmware.

I spent more than 2 hours with the new firmware and the result was as I reported. Again, it frozen with XF > 50% of the time (both with SP at 2 sec or less and > 2 sec) and was unusable with the tech cam.

I will try again after my trip. I have no time to test it again and am not interested to do so.

Pramote

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree, the IQ3-100 is such a solid back both user wise and quality wise. We still use it on commercial jobs without even thinking twice. The IQ4-150 mostly sits in the camera case.

I'm not sure why everyone is so hot on the frame averaging feature of the IQ4. Even with the IQ3, for about 99% of everything we shoot we can get everything in one capture because the dynamic range is so good. It keeps all the highlights and shadows in one capture in the RAW file. We almost never have problems with shadow noise when recovering shadow details in Capture One. The IQ4 has an even wider dynamic range. But from all the complaints of the IQ4 and the firmware it seems like the frame averaging is a huge feature that everyone cares so much about. But really, how often would you really need to use it unless you are doing a lot of night captures.
    Some people like me do extreme long-exposure photography (beyond night photography) with 10-15 stop ND.

Not having to carry 150mm-filter set is a big deal. Do you know how big and expensive they are, especially the Wine Country?.

As you said, I don't care much either about improving DR as the sensor of the IQ4150 is already quite good for this.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some people like me do extreme long-exposure photography (beyond night photography) with 10-15 stop ND.

Not having to carry 150mm-filter set is a big deal. Do you know how big and expensive they are, especially the Wine Country?.

As you said, I don't care much either about improving DR as the sensor of the IQ4150 is already quite good for this.
    Ditto. Well, almost. Daytime AFA is a big deal for me. And so is virtually noiseless, amazing dynamic range. A fully stocked WCC 150mm kit weighs several pounds. It takes up more room in its [really nice] Kinesis pouch, and as much weight capacity as a backup camera. Granted, AFA cannot take the place of everything in that WCC kit, but it replaces enough so that leaving it at home is an option. That, plus 16-bit, well, it goes a long way toward compensating for these serious PITA issues. I sympathize with bad firmware experiences and agree that, maybe, just maybe, this release should not have been labeled anything other than a beta or even alpha release; heck, 16-bit could have been done as a delta release. But the problems are curiously not universal. Yesterday, I shot several AFA tests on the XF after installing the new firmware, and also did some wireless tethering. All worked fine with no lockups.Now, I did not bang on it hard yet, so maybe I have not been tripped up. But so far, so good [fingers crossed].

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenspyder View Post
    Ditto. Well, almost. Daytime AFA is a big deal for me. And so is virtually noiseless, amazing dynamic range. A fully stocked WCC 150mm kit weighs several pounds. It takes up more room in its [really nice] Kinesis pouch, and as much weight capacity as a backup camera. Granted, AFA cannot take the place of everything in that WCC kit, but it replaces enough so that leaving it at home is an option. That, plus 16-bit, well, it goes a long way toward compensating for these serious PITA issues. I sympathize with bad firmware experiences and agree that, maybe, just maybe, this release should not have been labeled anything other than a beta or even alpha release; heck, 16-bit could have been done as a delta release. But the problems are curiously not universal. Yesterday, I shot several AFA tests on the XF after installing the new firmware, and also did some wireless tethering. All worked fine with no lockups.Now, I did not bang on it hard yet, so maybe I have not been tripped up. But so far, so good [fingers crossed].

As Frame Averaging is very important to me, I changed my mind and tried the current firmware version 6:00:52 (by set up to the factory setting --->4.02.7--->6:00:52) again. I tried many times with the XF and Tech Cam but still got the same result during the Frame Averaging.

Now the DB froze while the XF would continue forever 100% of the time.. The batteries on the XF and DB were full and the DB was not too hot.

When I switched back to the previous firmware version 5:01, the Frame Averaging works just fine.

Do you use the current firmware 6:00:52 or the previous beta one 6:00:44 to test the Frame Averaging on XF?

Is it possible there's something changed between the Firmware 6:00:44 (beta) and the current one 6:00:52?

Thank you

Pramote

Post Thanks / Like

As Frame Averaging is very important to me, I changed my mind and tried the current firmware version 6:00:52 (by set up to the factory setting --->4.02.7--->6:00:52) again. I tried many times with the XF and Tech Cam but still got the same result during the Frame Averaging.

Now the DB froze while the XF would continue forever 100% of the time.. The batteries on the XF and DB were full and the DB was not too hot.

When I switched back to the previous firmware version 5:01, the Frame Averaging works just fine.

Do you use the current firmware 6:00:52 or the previous beta one 6:00:44 to test the Frame Averaging on XF?

Is it possible there's something changed between the Firmware 6:00:44 (beta) and the current one 6:00:52?

Thank you

Pramote
    Pramote, I have 6.00.52 Installed. Works fine on the XF, but is flaky on my Cambo 1600 the way the Capture Integration team discussed on their blog. And it seems clear to me the answer to your question is "yes, something clearly changed, and not for the better."

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just want to update. I've postponed my trip (car trip) for 1 day just to figure out what is going on. Fall this year is delayed any way.

I reinstall the firmware to the beta version (6:00:44) instead of the current published version (6:00:52) on my IQ4150. It works like a magic on both XF and Tech Cam! However, it's too soon to conclude.

Although I am a doctor and have a little knowledge about technology, my son is a computer science/biomedical engineer. We talk frequently about everything.

I am also a researcher. Finding the truth is what I do for living. Therefore, I gave him my hypothesis. I told him Phase has a new owner. I asked him if it is possible Phase might have a last minute call to prevent Tech Cam users from using the new upgraded Frame Averaging to promote the XT sale. Then things go haywire. He expressed my hypothesis is possible but for sure they made a final change before the final release. But changing the beta version while it worked was a question mark. He also said they are a new company and might have a low budget. He never heard of P1 before. He was shocked when I told him the camera was $50, 000. I told him to promise he would never tell his mom

It is a big mistake to abandon IQ3100 and Tech Cam users. It certainly will have a negative impact on the XT and Phase One overall.

I hope my hypothesis is wrong and the whole things are about software glitches!!! If I'm right, IMO it is very unethical and it's betrayal to Phase One users.

Most likely, we will never know the truth behind it. Same as many things in life, it's just gray.

Fore sure, I am happier to be able to use the upgraded Frame Averaging on my XF and Tech Cam during my Fall trip.

I will leave it here to prepare my trip. Will update in few days from the field.
    Last edited by Landscapelover; 28th September 2019 at 09:59.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also very disappointed that Phase One has yet another buggy firmware release (I think every single IQ4 firmware release has had serious bugs, other than the bug-fix releases... and even some of those have been buggy!). HOWEVER, I seriously doubt that Phase One is intentionally causing tech cam malfunction to promote their XT sales. Surely such malfunctions do far more harm than good for XT sales, plus the whole concept of purposefully sabotaging their own releases is inconsistent with all my interactions with the company. Moreover, the bugginess of this firmware release is entirely consistent with the bugginess of all their firmware releases for the IQ4, as sad as that sounds! One could be justified in questioning their firmware authoring competence, but I don't think they are acting in bad faith here. They are having a hard enough time (and deserve our criticism for firmware bugs) without conspiracy theories!

I just want to update. I've postponed my trip (car trip) for 1 day just to figure out what is going on. Fall this year is delayed any way.

I reinstall the firmware to the beta version (6:00:44) instead of the current published version (6:00:52) on my IQ4150. It works like a magic on both XF and Tech Cam! However, it's too soon to conclude.

Although I am a doctor and have a little knowledge about technology, my son is a computer science/biomedical engineer. We talk frequently about everything.

I am also a researcher. Finding the truth is what I do for living. Therefore, I gave him my hypothesis. I told him Phase has a new owner. I asked him if it is possible Phase might have a last minute call to prevent Tech Cam users from using the new upgraded Frame Averaging to promote the XT sale. Then things go haywire. He expressed my hypothesis is possible but for sure they made a final change before the final release. He also said they might have a low budget because they're a new company he never heard of. He was shocked when I told him the camera was $50, 000. He promised he would not tell his mom

It is a big mistake to abandon IQ3100 and Tech Cam users. It certainly will have a negative impact on the XT and Phase One overall.

I hope my hypothesis is wrong and the whole things are about software glitches!!! If I'm right, IMO it is very unethical and it's betrayal to Phase One users.

Most likely, we will never know the truth behind it. Same as many things in life, it's just gray.

Fore sure, I am happier to be able to use the upgraded Frame Averaging on my XF and Tech Cam during my Fall trip.

I will leave it here to prepare my trip. Will update in few days from the field.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also a researcher. Finding the truth is what I do for living. Therefore, I gave him my hypothesis. I told him Phase has a new owner. I asked him if it is possible Phase might have a last minute call to prevent Tech Cam users from using the new upgraded Frame Averaging to promote the XT sale. Then things go haywire. He expressed my hypothesis is possible but for sure they made a final change before the final release. But changing the beta version while it worked was a question mark. He also said they are a new company and might have a low budget. He never heard of P1 before. He was shocked when I told him the camera was $50, 000. I told him to promise he would never tell his mom

Maybe we'll never know the truth but we will know for sure if Tech cameras are on the back burner. If it turns out that way then this, for sure, will be my last Phase DB. There are just too many other avenues available where I can still use the majority of my LF lenses and have full movements.

These backs will plummet in price as potential buyers will more than likely know about all of the issues and the soft support for tech camera owners.

Nobody likes being made a fool.....

Victor

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by onasj View Post
    I'm also very disappointed that Phase One has yet another buggy firmware release (I think every single IQ4 firmware release has had serious bugs, other than the bug-fix releases... and even some of those have been buggy!). HOWEVER, I seriously doubt that Phase One is intentionally causing tech cam malfunction to promote their XT sales. Surely such malfunctions do far more harm than good for XT sales, plus the whole concept of purposefully sabotaging their own releases is inconsistent with all my interactions with the company. Moreover, the bugginess of this firmware release is entirely consistent with the bugginess of all their firmware releases for the IQ4, as sad as that sounds! One could be justified in questioning their firmware authoring competence, but I don't think they are acting in bad faith here. They are having a hard enough time (and deserve our criticism for firmware bugs) without conspiracy theories!
    I hope you're right about it.
    I've always been a proud owner of Phase One since the early IQ180 and hope the best for them.
    It's just my opinion. I respect everyone's voices but please do not judge me.
    This will be my last response in the next few days as I will be leaving for Fall shooting soon.

Don't forget to go out and take fall color pictures with P1, Nikon, Sony etc. or whatever. They are just tools!

Enjoy Fall shooting guys!

Pramote

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thereís no conspiracy here guys; they just Fíd up.

Phase One needs to improve the QC on their firmware releases; itís as simple as that. If you add several good features, and break a single one, itís often rightly seen as a net-negative for the user, and sows doubt, confusion, and annoyance. As someone said above: ďfirst, do no harmĒ.

Iím *really* hoping this is the last time that I have to post a ďdonít do this updateĒ note on our website.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No expert here, but as someone who worked in the computer industry, both sales and tech support for close to 30 years, I find it a bit strange for a company to issue a "beta" that works, then issues a "formal release" that doesn't work.

Net, the whole point of a beta is to test a firmware that is as close to release as possible. If you change the "beta", it should be re-released as another beta, and testing should start all over again.

Here it seems pretty obvious that 1 of 2 things happened.

1. Phase added an additional feature for the XT to the "released" beta and did not feel it was necessary to release a new beta to the field, which IMO defeats the whole point of a beta testing.

2. Phase choose to remove the ability of non XT tech cameras to use the FA feature. And chose not to tell the field/dealers/beta testers.

I personally can't believe Phase would do the latter, so hopefully it's number 1, which still points to sloppy testing but seems to have become the norm for firmware on the IQ4.

Paul C
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Thereís no conspiracy here guys; they just Fíd up.

Phase One needs to improve the QC on their firmware releases; itís as simple as that. If you add several good features, and break a single one, itís often rightly seen as a net-negative for the user, and sows doubt, confusion, and annoyance. As someone said above: ďfirst, do no harmĒ.

Iím *really* hoping this is the last time that I have to post a ďdonít do this updateĒ note on our website.
    Doug,

Thanks for the clarification.

1) Has Phase given the dealers any idea as to timing for a fix? I recall w/ the last FW update issue P1 provided communication through the dealers they would have the fix out fairly quickly and then followed up relatively soon thereafter w/ the corrected FW. There's nothing about this FW issue in the Phase forum.

2) If one wanted to roll back their FW version back to 501, is that accomplished by simply installing that version on the back and XF or is there more to it?

Thanks,
    _Robert
    Website

PhaseOne . Arca-Swiss . Mamiya . Hasselblad . Leica . Canon . iPhone

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rsinclair View Post
    Doug,

Thanks for the clarification.

1) Has Phase given the dealers any idea as to timing for a fix? I recall w/ the last FW update issue P1 provided communication through the dealers they would have the fix out fairly quickly and then followed up relatively soon thereafter w/ the corrected FW. There's nothing about this FW issue in the Phase forum.

2) If one wanted to roll back their FW version back to 501, is that accomplished by simply installing that version on the back and XF or is there more to it?

Thanks,
    _Robert
    1) I do not have an update/fix timeframe yet, but would expect to have one early next week. My suspicion is that the issue was probably caused by a very simple mistake, like a flag or value changed after most of the testing had already been done (which makes it that much more frustrating) but I donít know that for sure. If Iím right then a fix would not take more than a week or two to make and test.

2) I would like to check that with the head of my support team on Monday before providing a definitive answer. However in general installing any relatively recent firmware package should be a simple affair; just make sure to have a full battery and not to interrupt the process part way through.
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

No expert here, but as someone who worked in the computer industry, both sales and tech support for close to 30 years, I find it a bit strange for a company to issue a "beta" that works, then issues a "formal release" that doesn't work.
    As a fellow former software engineer now full-time pro (and POCP): while it's strange (and pains me greatly) from a software engineering point of view, this isn't the first time that Phase has released a stable beta but borked the release. They've done it with at least a couple of Capture One releases.

Not-so-fond memories of testing one CO release where I was testing a late-beta on a studio shoot, and it worked fine; next day's shoot we'd moved to the release version, but something (I think it was 100% zoom to focus on live view for Canon bodies, which would seemingly break and get fixed about every other CO release until Phase built their own tethering driver) would blow up, hard, some ways through the shoot. Reinstalled the beta, submitted a bug report, and it worked fine. I think I ended up leaving the beta in service until the next point release came out. Happened again with one of the .1 releases where CO would routinely crash on startup in certain situations. In both cases, the fix came pretty quickly, but boy was it annoying.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pramote,

-Dominique
    I uploaded the new firmware yesterday and tested it extensively on my XF/IQ4-150 today. Everything seems to work fine - the FA works with 16 bit and the new level looks better than the old.

The only slight glitch I had was that after exposing a FA scene, the next shot also used the FA though I didn't order it to do so. However, as I could not get it to do it again I have to assume it was an error on my part.
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    I uploaded the new firmware yesterday and tested it extensively on my XF/IQ4-150 today. Everything seems to work fine - the FA works with 16 bit and the new level looks better than the old.

The only slight glitch I had was that after exposing a FA scene, the next shot also used the FA though I didn't order it to do so. However, as I could not get it to do it again I have to assume it was an error on my part.

I'm wondering how there could be a disparity between some saying the new FW works fine and other say differently. Same FW, same HD. Interesting. Assuming this means the glitch is with Tech cameras and not with the XF. Forgive me if I've missed this in previous threads.

Robert B

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem is when the new firmware is used with technical cameras, particularly the new Frame Averaging feature.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    The problem is when the new firmware is used with technical cameras, particularly the new Frame Averaging feature.
    So if I understand the FW is fine with the XF and XT, but not with other Tech cameras that only use the IQ4 to run the party?

Robert B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RLB View Post
    So if I understand the FW is fine with the XF and XT, but not with other Tech cameras that only use the IQ4 to run the party?

Robert B
    I think several people have had problems with the XF, and others havenít.
    I wonder if there are two slightly different hardware versions out there...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RLB View Post

Robert B
    Robert,

Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: From my testing using the IQ4, the FW works fine on my XF; FA, hard button, new rear screen things like the new Level and Histo in LV, etc. On my Arca's I can shoot using single e-shutter captures and 2-shot copal as before w/out issues. On the Arca's the rear screen options/features don't include shutter and aperture in LV like they do on the XF/XT, but as has been well-discussed, the FA is broken on non-P1 gear. I'd just used it the weekend before on the Arca's and it worked fine.

After the FW update and the notifications by several on this site, I tested using an Arca the FA and it froze the IQ, had to reboot, and pulled the batter just to ensure. The back was fine after the reboot and I've not retried the FA.

I demoed an XT last week (coincidentally a couple of days before the public release of the FW) and the full rear screen options on the XF were also on the XT; i.e., it worked on the XT like it works on my XF after the public release.

Some on this site have mentioned having issues with the FW on the XF, but not (so far) in my case.

I've elected to keep the current FW on the IQ4 instead of going back to the last released version because so far I've not used FA much and that's the only thing I'm finding is broken on non-P1 gear. My hope is that a fix is released ASAP so that I'm not limited or restricted from using FA on my Arca's.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Robert
    Website

PhaseOne . Arca-Swiss . Mamiya . Hasselblad . Leica . Canon . iPhone
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shana Tova to those celebrating.

Just a quick update to say I donít have a meaningful update. I will post as soon as I do.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think several people have had problems with the XF, and others havenít.
    I've wondered the same. I have two separate XF bodies. I should check and see if that matters.

Post Thanks / Like

So, I have not used frame averaging before and I looked into it today to see what all the fuss is about. The examples I saw from a P1 dealer are less than desirable. There are so many artifacts introduced by the feature that I would think it would be unacceptable to most people. Everything from motion blurred skies to hard shadows rendered as soft shadows. It's kind of like the many gimmick features you find in the A7 cameras that come with quality issues. I haven't used it myself but it looks like an unacceptable gimmick to me. I think if I needed to frame average I would do it manually and then composite in Photoshop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, I have not used frame averaging before and I looked into it today to see what all the fuss is about. The examples I saw from a P1 dealer are less than desirable. There are so many artifacts introduced by the feature that I would think it would be unacceptable to most people. Everything from motion blurred skies to hard shadows rendered as soft shadows. It's kind of like the many gimmick features you find in the A7 cameras that come with quality issues. I haven't used it myself but it looks like an unacceptable gimmick to me. I think if I needed to frame average I would do it manually and then composite in Photoshop.
    You need to try it yourself and also understand that there are at least two scenarios where it is useful - extended shooting of a static subject to reduce noise, and then the other is frame averaging to achieve ND effects (and noise reduction) - but they arenít necessarily the same.

Is it a panacea? No. Is it a useful tool? Absolutely and thatís based just on a week of real world shooting.

Btw, just came back from shooting a well known east coast lighthouse tonight and the combination of AFA, IQ4-150 resolution and Rodie HR lenses had me uttering the WTF at my laptop as I reviewed the images.

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You need to try it yourself and also understand that there are at least two scenarios where it is useful - extended shooting of a static subject to reduce noise, and then the other is frame averaging to achieve ND effects (and noise reduction) - but they arenít necessarily the same.

Is it a panacea? No. Is it a useful tool? Absolutely and thatís based just on a week of real world shooting.

Btw, just came back from shooting a well known east coast lighthouse tonight and the combination of AFA, IQ4-150 resolution and Rodie HR lenses had me uttering the WTF at my laptop as I reviewed the images.
    WTF sums it up in the most eloquent way. I echo that response.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think several people have had problems with the XF, and others haven’t.
    According to my knowledge, there are 5 hardware revision of the XF. You can get the HW Revesion on the shoulder display of the XF under About.

But I still do not think that's a problem. I also have two XF bodyīs and also had the problem on the XF. When I wanted to reproduce it for documentation - I could not do it.

My problem is not the FA is not working properly, my problem is that I do not know what else is wrong. The firmware XFSystem5.00.20.fwp has written 14 bit files, although 16 bit was set and displayed - has cost me real money. If 16 bit files have been ordered by the customer, you have to deliver 16 bits - no excuses.

I can not synonymous with every new firmware, all functions test again. It also costs a lot of money and time. I have to rely on a product in this price range can rely on the manufacturer has a working QM.

I can use a tool, against payment, only if it is calculable for me.

Greeting Gerd

Post Thanks / Like

+1. And I would add a suggestion that may be obvious to everyone here. AFA is nothing more than the automation of a shooting/processing technique. If one chooses to average frames in Photoshop, the one thing you cannot change is the original shutter speed. And while one can increase or lower exposure levels, for the most part, one cannot alter aperture either. Some of the choices you make when shooting are fixed, if not quite set in stone. For certain kinds of motion capture and effect, different shutter duration choices produce remarkably different results. And when blending, those different shutter speeds can produce very different outcomes, some of which may be more or less desirable to you. Iíve been testing AFA a bit, and Iíve learned that what works for me in one setting doesnít always work in another. And this is no different from all the other ways we shoot. You have to bring the right tool for the problem. AFA simply, and precisely, automates a very specific solution. If you pick the wrong shutter speed, whether itís taillights or water, well, youíve still picked the wrong shutter speed. When you get it right though, and combined with those 151mpx in a RAW file, wow, itís just magic.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gerd View Post
    According to my knowledge, there are 5 hardware revision of the XF. You can get the HW Revesion on the shoulder display of the XF under About.

But I still do not think that's a problem. I also have two XF bodyīs and also had the problem on the XF. When I wanted to reproduce it for documentation - I could not do it.

My problem is not the FA is not working properly, my problem is that I do not know what else is wrong. The firmware XFSystem5.00.20.fwp has written 14 bit files, although 16 bit was set and displayed - has cost me real money. If 16 bit files have been ordered by the customer, you have to deliver 16 bits - no excuses.

I can not synonymous with every new firmware, all functions test again. It also costs a lot of money and time. I have to rely on a product in this price range can rely on the manufacturer has a working QM.

I can use a tool, against payment, only if it is calculable for me.

Greeting Gerd
    I support your comment that all XF are not the same. It's been in the market for a while. I'm not sure it's related but I am an early XF owner.

Otherwise, people would not report the problems. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to test whether the FA works on XF.

If your XF works well with the FA, good for you!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shana Tova to those celebrating.

Just a quick update to say I donít have a meaningful update. I will post as soon as I do.
    We now expect a fix to this firmware bug in the next week or so. I'll post if/when I have more specifics.
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We now expect a fix to this firmware bug in the next week or so. I'll post if/when I have more specifics.
    Hello Doug,

is there any new information regarding the bug fix in the current firmware?

Greeting Gerd

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gerd View Post
    Hello Doug,

is there any new information regarding the bug fix in the current firmware?

Greeting Gerd
    Last I heard it was expected this week. It was a US holiday yesterday, so my information is two biz days out of date. Iím reaching a class all day today and tomorrow but will see if I can get and post an update during a break.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last I heard it was expected this week. It was a US holiday yesterday, so my information is two biz days out of date. Iím reaching a class all day today and tomorrow but will see if I can get and post an update during a break.
    Yes; still expected this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That sounds good,

thanks for your trouble Doug ...

Greeting Gerd

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes; still expected this week.
    Now expected Monday of next week.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now expected Monday of next week.
    The updated firmware is now publicly available.

Post Thanks / Like

The updated firmware is now publicly available.
    Who's gonna be the brave one to go first???

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Changes? Fixes?
    Christopher Hauser
    http://www.chauser.eu