The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phase One Firmware for IQ, XF, and XT

buildbot

It is hard to grasp how they seem to do this with every release. Maybe their key people quit or were hired by someone else and they are left with rookies trying to figure this out and reverse engineer the code.
They are hiring many senior people on their job board, but that seems like it's mostly for capture one and not for embedded development.

I'd love it if they had even just a private, invite only github repo that owners (or aspiring owners like myself) could contribute too.

f8orbust

Maybe it's called the 'Infinity Platform' becasue it's going to take P1 an infinite amount of time to get it working right...

Just a guess.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Revert to the DB original firmware which is available in settings. Then install the previous update which is available on the PhaseOne site incase you don't have it.

Victor
Victor,

I did not revert to the DB original firmware (I thought about doing that) but installed the previous update instead. It works fine so far. Do you think it's OK?

Thanks,
Pramote

vjbelle

knock on wood if it's working for you. I just thought it would be prudent to revert to original factory firmware which only takes a couple of seconds and then install the previous version.

If all is working OK then don't worry about it. If you are concerned then revert back to factory firmware and reinstall previous version. Doesn't take very long.

Victor

BFD

The cynic in me says that why P1 is dragging its feet getting this fixed.
Probably but they are going about it the wrong way. They should at least give us stable functionality and features we need to work with that we had with the IQ3 before trying to build this "supercomputer" that we don't need in the IQ4. Maybe AdHoc is the not future in their minds but it shouldn't be hard to port it over to the new system. Outsource it if they are understaffed. Make the thing work like the IQ3 did. Then try to wow us. So far, one year later and no one is wowed and everyone is pissed off.

buildbot

Probably but they are going about it the wrong way. They should at least give us stable functionality and features we need to work with that we had with the IQ3 before trying to build this "supercomputer" that we don't need in the IQ4. Maybe AdHoc is the not future in their minds but it shouldn't be hard to port it over to the new system. Outsource it if they are understaffed. Make the thing work like the IQ3 did. Then try to wow us. So far, one year later and no one is wowed and everyone is pissed off.
What's weird if that it is fairly standard Linux, and not some really wonky Wifi chip, setting up an adhoc network takes almost no effort...

Anyone have a broken IQ4 they want to disassemble and see what's up inside? ;)

BFD

What's weird if that it is fairly standard Linux, and not some really wonky Wifi chip, setting up an adhoc network takes almost no effort...

I might shortly as sometimes my blood boils during use and I am tempted to hurl the thing at the closest wall. You should have seen me the other day trying to make the HDMI a useful tool with a small monitor and then realizing that the back is incapable of doing anything remotely useful with the HDMI out. I'll keep you posted.

When using frame averaging with the XF, it froze > 50% of the time.
With tech camera, the FA didn't work at all.
Pramote,

can you recall under what conditions/settings frame averaging froze on the XF?

In my tests it worked all the time as expected on the XF with the new firmware.

Has anybody else had issues with frame averaging in the new firmware on the XF?

-Dominique

Mexecutioner

Pramote,

can you recall under what conditions/settings frame averaging froze on the XF?

In my tests it worked all the time as expected on the XF with the new firmware.

Has anybody else had issues with frame averaging in the new firmware on the XF?

-Dominique

I will test tonight when I get home.

algrove

To substantiate what others have said about Frame Averaging it is completely broken on a Tech Camera. I do not understand how this could be released.

Victor
Because now they only care about their own tech cam and not ours.

algrove

It's full of Huawei chips

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have been in the field for 10 days. So now I read this and I have no idea what will happen if I update my IQ4 Achromatic.

So Update or no?
No!

I had this discussion today with CI - there are bugs in the automatic frame averaging so conservatively you probably should wait a few weeks.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It’s a shame, especially at the moment where you have Fuji with a great system. Why would anyone invest 50k plus if you can get 99% of that with a GFX System for 18k....
Or, in today’s used market, you could buy a ROCK solid IQ3-100 for even less. :chug:

I upgraded with both eyes open but, heck, the IQ3-100 variants are still superb and offer IQ advantages over the Fuji system (which in full disclosure I shoot, own and love too).

BFD

Or, in today’s used market, you could buy a ROCK solid IQ3-100 for even less. :chug:

I upgraded with both eyes open but, heck, the IQ3-100 variants are still superb and offer IQ advantages over the Fuji system (which in full disclosure I shoot, own and love too).
I agree, the IQ3-100 is such a solid back both user wise and quality wise. We still use it on commercial jobs without even thinking twice. The IQ4-150 mostly sits in the camera case.

I'm not sure why everyone is so hot on the frame averaging feature of the IQ4. Even with the IQ3, for about 99% of everything we shoot we can get everything in one capture because the dynamic range is so good. It keeps all the highlights and shadows in one capture in the RAW file. We almost never have problems with shadow noise when recovering shadow details in Capture One. The IQ4 has an even wider dynamic range. But from all the complaints of the IQ4 and the firmware it seems like the frame averaging is a huge feature that everyone cares so much about. But really, how often would you really need to use it unless you are doing a lot of night captures.

Boinger

I think people are misinformed as to why this firmware was released.

The only reason it was released in this manner was due to the XT launch they needed to have a firmware that could work with their demo units etc.

Even the added features address only the XT users, and not existing tech camera users.

Existing users were not considered for this update.

A far simpler message for phase would have been if they simply mentioned that this firmware is not intended for existing users and only for XT demo's.