The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phase One Firmware for IQ, XF, and XT

RLB

The problem is when the new firmware is used with technical cameras, particularly the new Frame Averaging feature.
So if I understand the FW is fine with the XF and XT, but not with other Tech cameras that only use the IQ4 to run the party?

Robert B

buildbot

So if I understand the FW is fine with the XF and XT, but not with other Tech cameras that only use the IQ4 to run the party?

Robert B
I think several people have had problems with the XF, and others haven’t.
I wonder if there are two slightly different hardware versions out there...

rsinclair

Robert B
Robert,

Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: From my testing using the IQ4, the FW works fine on my XF; FA, hard button, new rear screen things like the new Level and Histo in LV, etc. On my Arca's I can shoot using single e-shutter captures and 2-shot copal as before w/out issues. On the Arca's the rear screen options/features don't include shutter and aperture in LV like they do on the XF/XT, but as has been well-discussed, the FA is broken on non-P1 gear. I'd just used it the weekend before on the Arca's and it worked fine.

After the FW update and the notifications by several on this site, I tested using an Arca the FA and it froze the IQ, had to reboot, and pulled the batter just to ensure. The back was fine after the reboot and I've not retried the FA.

I demoed an XT last week (coincidentally a couple of days before the public release of the FW) and the full rear screen options on the XF were also on the XT; i.e., it worked on the XT like it works on my XF after the public release.

Some on this site have mentioned having issues with the FW on the XF, but not (so far) in my case.

I've elected to keep the current FW on the IQ4 instead of going back to the last released version because so far I've not used FA much and that's the only thing I'm finding is broken on non-P1 gear. My hope is that a fix is released ASAP so that I'm not limited or restricted from using FA on my Arca's.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Robert

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Shana Tova to those celebrating.

Just a quick update to say I don’t have a meaningful update. I will post as soon as I do.

drunkenspyder

I've wondered the same. I have two separate XF bodies. I should check and see if that matters.

BFD

Some people like me do extreme long-exposure photography (beyond night photography) with 10-15 stop ND.

Not having to carry 150mm-filter set is a big deal. Do you know how big and expensive they are, especially the Wine Country?.

As you said, I don't care much either about improving DR as the sensor of the IQ4150 is already quite good for this.
So, I have not used frame averaging before and I looked into it today to see what all the fuss is about. The examples I saw from a P1 dealer are less than desirable. There are so many artifacts introduced by the feature that I would think it would be unacceptable to most people. Everything from motion blurred skies to hard shadows rendered as soft shadows. It's kind of like the many gimmick features you find in the A7 cameras that come with quality issues. I haven't used it myself but it looks like an unacceptable gimmick to me. I think if I needed to frame average I would do it manually and then composite in Photoshop.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
So, I have not used frame averaging before and I looked into it today to see what all the fuss is about. The examples I saw from a P1 dealer are less than desirable. There are so many artifacts introduced by the feature that I would think it would be unacceptable to most people. Everything from motion blurred skies to hard shadows rendered as soft shadows. It's kind of like the many gimmick features you find in the A7 cameras that come with quality issues. I haven't used it myself but it looks like an unacceptable gimmick to me. I think if I needed to frame average I would do it manually and then composite in Photoshop.
You need to try it yourself and also understand that there are at least two scenarios where it is useful - extended shooting of a static subject to reduce noise, and then the other is frame averaging to achieve ND effects (and noise reduction) - but they aren’t necessarily the same.

Is it a panacea? No. Is it a useful tool? Absolutely and that’s based just on a week of real world shooting.

Btw, just came back from shooting a well known east coast lighthouse tonight and the combination of AFA, IQ4-150 resolution and Rodie HR lenses had me uttering the WTF at my laptop as I reviewed the images. :thumbs:

Mexecutioner

You need to try it yourself and also understand that there are at least two scenarios where it is useful - extended shooting of a static subject to reduce noise, and then the other is frame averaging to achieve ND effects (and noise reduction) - but they aren’t necessarily the same.

Is it a panacea? No. Is it a useful tool? Absolutely and that’s based just on a week of real world shooting.

Btw, just came back from shooting a well known east coast lighthouse tonight and the combination of AFA, IQ4-150 resolution and Rodie HR lenses had me uttering the WTF at my laptop as I reviewed the images. :thumbs:
WTF sums it up in the most eloquent way. I echo that response.

Gerd

According to my knowledge, there are 5 hardware revision of the XF. You can get the HW Revesion on the shoulder display of the XF under About.

But I still do not think that's a problem. I also have two XF body´s and also had the problem on the XF. When I wanted to reproduce it for documentation - I could not do it.

My problem is not the FA is not working properly, my problem is that I do not know what else is wrong. The firmware XFSystem5.00.20.fwp has written 14 bit files, although 16 bit was set and displayed - has cost me real money. If 16 bit files have been ordered by the customer, you have to deliver 16 bits - no excuses.

I can not synonymous with every new firmware, all functions test again. It also costs a lot of money and time. I have to rely on a product in this price range can rely on the manufacturer has a working QM.

I can use a tool, against payment, only if it is calculable for me.

Greeting Gerd

drunkenspyder

+1. And I would add a suggestion that may be obvious to everyone here. AFA is nothing more than the automation of a shooting/processing technique. If one chooses to average frames in Photoshop, the one thing you cannot change is the original shutter speed. And while one can increase or lower exposure levels, for the most part, one cannot alter aperture either. Some of the choices you make when shooting are fixed, if not quite set in stone. For certain kinds of motion capture and effect, different shutter duration choices produce remarkably different results. And when blending, those different shutter speeds can produce very different outcomes, some of which may be more or less desirable to you. I’ve been testing AFA a bit, and I’ve learned that what works for me in one setting doesn’t always work in another. And this is no different from all the other ways we shoot. You have to bring the right tool for the problem. AFA simply, and precisely, automates a very specific solution. If you pick the wrong shutter speed, whether it’s taillights or water, well, you’ve still picked the wrong shutter speed. When you get it right though, and combined with those 151mpx in a RAW file, wow, it’s just magic.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
According to my knowledge, there are 5 hardware revision of the XF. You can get the HW Revesion on the shoulder display of the XF under About.

But I still do not think that's a problem. I also have two XF body´s and also had the problem on the XF. When I wanted to reproduce it for documentation - I could not do it.

My problem is not the FA is not working properly, my problem is that I do not know what else is wrong. The firmware XFSystem5.00.20.fwp has written 14 bit files, although 16 bit was set and displayed - has cost me real money. If 16 bit files have been ordered by the customer, you have to deliver 16 bits - no excuses.

I can not synonymous with every new firmware, all functions test again. It also costs a lot of money and time. I have to rely on a product in this price range can rely on the manufacturer has a working QM.

I can use a tool, against payment, only if it is calculable for me.

Greeting Gerd
I support your comment that all XF are not the same. It's been in the market for a while. I'm not sure it's related but I am an early XF owner.

Otherwise, people would not report the problems. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to test whether the FA works on XF.

If your XF works well with the FA, good for you!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hello Doug,

is there any new information regarding the bug fix in the current firmware?

Greeting Gerd
Last I heard it was expected this week. It was a US holiday yesterday, so my information is two biz days out of date. I’m reaching a class all day today and tomorrow but will see if I can get and post an update during a break.